GBA - Fakes/Bootlegs to watch out for...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

User Lists: 0

#1 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

I have heard bootlegs were a problem for GBA but hadn't run into any myself until getting a copy of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance that looks kinda sketchy. (Label sort of looks like it was printed on an inkjet printer. I can't say for sure it's not legit but it is at least the least legit seeming game I have.) It kind of seems like most of the guides for identifying these fakes focus on Pokemon so if I buy any of Pokemon games, I'll be extra careful. Are there any other games that are widely bootlegged in particular which I should take precaution when ordering?

To be clear, I am looking to avoid the bootlegs and only buy legit games.

Nismology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 Nismology
Member since 2009 • 649 Posts
I remember reading about a wierd Pokemon hack game a while back. It actually looked quite fun, and had all sorts of cool stuff like a blimp you rode around in! I've never heard about any other fake gba games
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 logicalfrank

They mostly came from sellers in the far east at least if you got them new. They typically had some really obvious flaws (some said "Nintondo" on them and stuff like that) but the biggest problem, aside form the piracy of course, is a lot of 'em would have a battery save instead of flash. There's many guides to spotting them and some of the fakes are pretty hilarious.

DSmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 DSmon
Member since 2009 • 2220 Posts

I got a bad copy of River City Ransom EX at gamestop not too long ago. First thing that I noticed was the game's sticker was smaller and slightly off center. I fliped the cart over and saw a small sticker that said Askya co. over the screw on the back. Also the cart had rough plastic edges all the way around. When I started to play the game it said, F4ERROR##Load Fail##.

I returned that game and got Z.O.E the next day.

zelda450

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 zelda450
Member since 2006 • 664 Posts

You should really be cautious when buying any highly in demand game. I bought a copy of Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow that was a bootleg. Basically the easiest way to tell a real copy from a fake is to tilt the cartridge and look inside on the PC board; if you can see the Nintendo logo along with some numbers, then you've got the real deal. Otherwise it's more than likely a fake. Also, the color of the cartidge on a fake is usually a lighter grey.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 logicalfrank

You should really be cautious when buying any highly in demand game. I bought a copy of Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow that was a bootleg. Basically the easiest way to tell a real copy from a fake is to tilt the cartridge and look inside on the PC board; if you can see the Nintendo logo along with some numbers, then you've got the real deal. Otherwise it's more than likely a fake. Also, the color of the cartidge on a fake is usually a lighter grey.

zelda450

I am thinking my FF Tactics Advance that got me worried is actually real and the label is just faded now. Seems like it passes most tests I am finding. Still, this is all good info as I have no intention of stopping buying GBA games anytime soon...

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts
Also, the majority of those bootleg games use a battery to save data, it is a shame you need to open the case of the cartridge to actually see it
norm41x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 norm41x
Member since 2011 • 813 Posts

I've had about 3 run ins with fake gba games lol. First thing I check is the cartridge itself since labels sometimes look sketchy for even official games. If the plastic is weak and bendy then you most likely have a counterfeit, also see if the cartridge fits in the GBA properly. If it sticks out or anything then its bad news. Another thing that I look at is the Nintendo Seal on green circuit. You can see this without even opening the cartridge. Grab a flash light or angle the cartridge to where light is able to get under the cartridge and look for the white circle that has Nintendo printed on to it.

Look for this:

http://crackedrabbitgaming.com/wp-content/uploads/simple/2006/06/zelda-minish-real-inside.jpg

Another way is to open up the cartridge which is really easy to do and see if the Nintendo seal is on the cartridge. It should look like this but with the Nintendo stuff on it.

http://www.wiisingonline.com/UploadFile/20091008/20091008031928.jpg

You will find some funny looking fake circuits, I found one that had tape and a black lump on the side. The games I have found that were bootlegs were Final Fantasy VI, King Kong, and a Star Wars game lol.