Gaming with my disabilities... blah...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ArticRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 ArticRecon
Member since 2003 • 193 Posts
I have been an avid gamer my whole life. I'm the "mario" generation who grew up alongside games. I got my first console, NES, when I was 6 back in 86. So anyways, on to my point. Until 3 years ago, I've had no problems keeping up with games and specifically online games. I am so utterly frustrated in trying to play Modern Warfare 2 along with the last two installments WaW and MW1. I sustained some pretty severe injuries in Iraq from a suicide bomber. I am VERY lucky to even be alive or be able to even play a game. My injuries included -Severe Brain injury, shrapnel to the brain and required surgery to remove half of my skull -Severe hearing loss from the explosion -My right arm was nearly severed at the tricep area. -My spinal cord was penetrated by a piece of shrapnel but was not cut. So.... what does this mean to me in terms of being able to play FPS's and more specifically keep up with the "youngins" (I'm 30) on Xbox Live.. - My R arm obviously has issues b/c of the damage so the R hand doesnt work as well as it should. -compounding the R hand is the spinal cord injury. My R hand has fine motor issues and tone issues. This means my fingers do not work as well or as fast as I wish them too. They wear out quickly and the more they are used the worse they get. In the middle of a deathmatch bout I seriously have to just stretch and let myself take a few deaths in the process. -My brain injury causes my visual perception to be much slower. Even on my 50in 1080p set, I have a hard time picking out other players at a distance. when I watch the kill came I'm like how the livin F did he see me, I had no idea! I also have a blind spot in my upper R vision are which causes me not to be able to see the UAV panel if I'm concentrating on the site to long. -I have pathfinding and direction finding problems which causes me to not be able to find my way around the maps well. -My memory is also crap so I find it hard to also learn the maps well. -My severe hearing loss prevents me from being able to participate in any Live chat for parties and I can't hear where fire is coming from on the maps. So anyways.. yes I am whining! It sux to lose my game mojo. My life could be sooo much worse, no right arm, comatose,dead even, so can't complain really, but I just want to rant.. I'm sick of not being able to keep up... maybe some other gamers out there can relate??? Sigh.......
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Have you tried out some slower paced turn based strategy games? They rely far more on thinking and tactics than twitch based reflexes.

Avatar image for metallica_fan42
metallica_fan42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#3 metallica_fan42
Member since 2006 • 21143 Posts
Maybe you should concentrate on other things other than video games.
Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ugalde-
Member since 2009 • 3732 Posts

Have you tried out some slower paced turn based strategy games? They rely far more on thinking and tactics than twitch based reflexes.

XaosII
Maybe you should concentrate on other things other than video games.metallica_fan42
I agree with both of these.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58159 Posts

well, I would recommend switching to PC gaming. This isnt the PC gamer in me speaking, btw, this is because I feel its the best option for your disabilities.

it sounds like your left arm (keyboard) is fine, and your right needs some assistance. Moving a mouse around is, imo, a lot easier than operating a controller. Instead of tucking your arms in front of you to grasp a controller, you can spread them out, relax your grip, and move your wrist to move the mouse around.

in terms of games, there are more slower-paced games (turn-based strategies, RPGs with pause modes, god games, even real-time strategy games) so it would be better for your thinking skills since they allow for longer times to come up with strategies, as opposed to "twitch" games like CoD MW2, Halo 3, etc.

furthermore, should your disabilities be worse thanyou made them sound, there are more options to make you controlling your games easier. There is an infrared sensor setup that essentially lets you control movement, looking around, etc with your head, not to mention a plethora of controller options that might suit your needs.

concerning eyesight, its much easier to see things on a PC screen from two feet away than it is on a large flatscreen. For your hearing, its also easier to get some nice headphones with a mic attached and hook it into the back of your PC.

Avatar image for MOSSBERG_E-Rock
MOSSBERG_E-Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 MOSSBERG_E-Rock
Member since 2004 • 3049 Posts

sorry to hear all of that but like mentioned earlier mabe you should try some different types of games due to your conditions.

gamer_10001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 gamer_10001
Member since 2006 • 2588 Posts

It's not much consolation and you are more knowledable about your injuries than I, but many injuries that are that severe can take many years to get full (or near full) ability back. Luck to you.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Maybe you should concentrate on other things other than video games.metallica_fan42

Who says he's not?

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#10 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Man, that's tough. I applaud your courage, though. Even with your disabilities, you're still trying to enjoy your hobby.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="metallica_fan42"]Maybe you should concentrate on other things other than video games.MrGeezer

Who says he's not?

I know, the nerve of some people :x

I know after a day of rehab and struggling I would definately like to unwind with an hour or two of gaming.

all work and no play, so it goes.

MuddVader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 MuddVader
Member since 2007 • 6326 Posts

I think you should try some RPG's Japanese and American Style.
American ones tend to be free roam and more you are the player, japanese most of the time you are more an observer and just follow the main characters story.
Both are very interesting genres and some have difficulty level settings like Mass Effect (I'm sure the same goes for Dragon Age) so if you cant keep up, you can still enjoy the epic stories and entertainment provided by the game on a lower difficulty without having to strain.
I think Online gaming may just not be for you though.. I'm sorry, And thank you for your sacrifice and may it not be in vain.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mrbojangles25

So let me get this straight, a person has gone to war and sustained life-threatening injuries, and now they want advice on how to more effectively kill people in the latest Commercial console games? ...and every one is not alarmed/concerned? Does insanity count for nothing anymore, or is this just the current state of the World?!

Dank_Dangler

rofl excuse me, wtf are you talking about?

i dont know about you, good sir or madame, but most of us take games for what they are...GAMES!

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

So let me get this straight, a person has gone to war and sustained life-threatening injuries, and now they want advice on how to more effectively kill people in the latest Commercial console games? ...and every one is not alarmed/concerned? Does insanity count for nothing anymore, or is this just the current state of the World?!

Dank_Dangler

*shrugs*

Apparently he likes videogames.

MuddVader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MuddVader
Member since 2007 • 6326 Posts

Dank_Dangler
Actually Ive heard people stationed in Iraq love the CoD series.
Grouchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 Grouchu
Member since 2003 • 7117 Posts

I'm in a wheelchair and I can't play DDR. FML.

Seriously.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
Some people in this thread are mind blowingly rude. So out of character for most OTers. TC, even though I don't have any disabilities, I've heard countless stories of people who have them being avid World of warcraft players. You can basically do everything with one hand except type to talk, so if you're looking for an i-can-do-this confidence boost, maybe try it out. a PVE or Normal server will eliminate pvp combat unless you want to do it, so no people sneaking up on you, and there are a lot of addons available for disabled players.
CaptainSchwamm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 CaptainSchwamm
Member since 2009 • 357 Posts
[QUOTE="XilePrincess"]Some people in this thread are mind blowingly rude. So out of character for most OTers. TC, even though I don't have any disabilities, I've heard countless stories of people who have them being avid World of warcraft players. You can basically do everything with one hand except type to talk, so if you're looking for an i-can-do-this confidence boost, maybe try it out. a PVE or Normal server will eliminate pvp combat unless you want to do it, so no people sneaking up on you, and there are a lot of addons available for disabled players.

I have no disabilities and I can't even keep up with high end PvE and PVP stuff :|
GTA_dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GTA_dude
Member since 2004 • 18358 Posts
I'm sorry, really am. But it can be worse. An old friend personal friend of my dad, Matt Slaydon, United States Air Force, last year lost his left arm, left eyeball, and complete vision. He used to love video games too, and has an awesome wife and gun collection. Now he cant enjoy any of that anymore. So, just think, things could be worse for you. At least you can still see. Here's a few articles on my friend, just in case you were curious... http://www.azcentral.com/12news/news/articles/2008/06/20/20080620mattslaydon06202008-CR.html http://www.airmanonline.af.mil/articles/story.asp?id=123120042 http://www.defenselink.mil/home/features/2008/0908_wwd/index_slaydon.html
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

*shrugs*

Apparently he likes videogames.

Dank_Dangler

He must be the drunk guy in the biker bar who accidentally got shot in a tussle that did not involve him..."hey, I just got shot and I feel fine! The next round's on me!".

I am just wondering, how could an intelligent person who has actually experienced the horrors of war and lived, go home and get a kick out of Tom Clancy games or Call of Doody, without feeling disgusted by the apathetic commercial portrayal of such content???

Dank_Dangler

dude, you are being extreme cold, harsh, and crude.

with that said, people sign up for the military for a variety of reasons, one of them for the adventure of combat. While I am sure its terrifying, one could also assume that it is exciting and ultimately gratifying.

Perhaps that is the same reason we play war-based video games, so we can get a taste of that excitement. Maybe, just maybe, this veteran hasnt lost his appetite for that sort of excitement, and video games do that for him.

And that is entirely outside of the fact that A.) not all video games are moder-warfare based, and B.) games are a good recreational activity, especially if someone is not as physically capable as others

pecanin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 pecanin
Member since 2008 • 863 Posts

Former soldier myself ,also wounded in wrong places so i know what this guy is going trough

You should try some of your local University-s ,they allways have students that will for extra credit

fix something for you.Don't mind certain types here who act as intelectuals and yet know nothing about nothing.

What is important is what you enjoy,just because you're disabled now doesn't mean that your life should end,or that you should

go to some vet home and spend rest of your life thinking what might have been if this that ..............

Your life live it as you want rest be damned.;)

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
No useful advice here, but you must really have balls of steel to come back from something like that and jump right on a (quite realistic) modern war game.
Faber_Fighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Faber_Fighter
Member since 2006 • 1890 Posts
Surprising how many rude people there are on this thread who have no sympathy for this guy. And Dank_Dangler should go troll somewhere else, making pointless arguments that have almost nothing to do with the topic isn't going to achieve much. Not to mention he knows NOTHING of the experience the TC had to go through. As for your problem TC, what about playing old school games that you grew up with? They don't require such fast reflexes or use of sound, and you could maybe relive some old memories and get a dose of nostalgia. Not to mention you can always pause at any time with those games if you need a brake.
MetallicaKings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MetallicaKings
Member since 2004 • 4781 Posts
how does this have to do with anything? Video games, for alot of us, is a way out of reality. To be immersed in a game after a tough day is always great (same goes with novels, movies, what have you). Who the hell says he's only concentrating on gaming? He has a problem, as we all do. To then go say, concentrate on something else, when you know nothing about that person is incredibly arrogant.
Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
I have moved this topic to General Games Discussion from Off-Topic, which is reserved for topics unrelated to video games. :)
ArticRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ArticRecon
Member since 2003 • 193 Posts
Wow! Lots of post, more than I expected really... I'll address a few things that I've seen. For the TROLLs... not much rise out of me here... Based on the first statement (growing up in the mario gen, etc", you should understand the reason I love video game, read more closely. I obviously do focus on more things than video games if I've had a career in the military and have spent the last four years recovering to the point I have. To clarify the comment about having been in war and playing war games. I would agree with the poster that most service members do love the CoD games.. Most of my ex soldiers are gamers. Even my commander brought his PS to Iraq. During off time you'd see many guys with thier PSP in hand. As far as "reliving" events via games, let me tell you it may appear to civilians to be "real". However from my perspective it is nothing more than a HALO with enviroments, uniforms, guns that are similar to our inventory. Nobody runs around firing off shots like that and we don't get UAVs after 3 kills and Perks, etc. etc... The "enemies" and allies in the game, are faceless, nameless computer bots, a world of difference in being with/losing a battle buddy (army speak for friend). The element of TRUE fear is not there either. You can't recreate that and that's not what the developers are aiming for. I do appreciate the comments about looking for solutions/alternatives. I do play a lot of RPGs, I bought and alienware in Walter Reed in 06 just so I could play Oblivion in my hospital bed b/c I got bored sitting there for hours when I had no therapy going on. I'm a big Fallout 3 fan (nice that the VATS system requires no twitch). I just picked up Dragon Age as well. I do have pretty much all of my old PC games but no old consoles. So I do a lot of that. I typically get frustrated with the CoDs and I'll just put it down and move over to the RPG types. I was truly just ranting/whining about my situation. So again, TROLLS I'm not looking for negative energy just looking for positive empathy and understanding from gamers who may be in a similar situation or gamers who could imagine the frustration at the loss of their skills for a traumatic reason. Again, thanks for all the comments and feedback, has been an interesting thread so far. Best to everyone... My gamertag is on my profile for those interested ARCTIC RECON the o in recon being a zero..
kate_jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kate_jones
Member since 2007 • 3221 Posts

Must be frustrating *hug* I couldnt game for a year due to a minor injury, we take so much for granted.

HaLoMaStErJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 HaLoMaStErJT
Member since 2008 • 1380 Posts

sorry about your situation. You can play some jrpgs since many of them are turned based like final fantasy, or lost oddysey.

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

It amazes me how people go out and buy military shooters because they have an army fetish (yet would never dare to go and enlist) but the second a guy who experienced combat that wants to simply UNWIND and RELAX is penalized, and has no right to do so.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

Sorry about your injuries, OP. Hopefully things improve as much as possible with time. In the meantime, as previous posters have suggested, games that require less twitch-like movements and more strategy could be useful. I wonder if some motion control games could be helpful in your physical therapy.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="MadVybz"]

It amazes me how people go out and buy military shooters because they have an army fetish (yet would never dare to go and enlist) but the second a guy who experienced combat that wants to simply UNWIND and RELAX is penalized, and has no right to do so.

pecanin

He he he when first bullet screams past them they usually call for their mommy.

(those who enlisted wanting to relive Halo or such)

did anyone ever bunnyhop during live combat? That'd be something to see...

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

I'm amazed at how many trolls this thread has brought out. For the people reading this thread, your options are:

1. Read the OP and form a thoughtful, on topic response.
2. Don't post.
3. Troll an injured war vet and get moderated.

I recommend either of the first two options.

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

Firstly, you have my sincerest appreciation and gratitude. Even though I didn't support the war in Iraq I unflinchingly supported the troops and continue to do so. My father is a veteran of the Vietnam War and the stories he's told me chill my very soul to its core. The infantilefools who saw fit to insult you are irrelevant; they live in the bubble of ignorance and could never relate to a man's journey through combat, life-changing bodily-injury, and the emotional and physical strength necessary to recover.

That said, play what you enjoy and don't concern yourself with skill or talent. If you enjoy playing FPS online continue to do so and when some 15 year old douche insults your manhood because he just fragged you, keep in mind that this whole thing is only a game and you've survived the real thing.

Enjoy the rest of your life because you have certainly earned it.

BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BladesOfAthena
Member since 2008 • 3938 Posts
Wow....I'm truly appalled and disgusted by some of the insensitive and downright inflammatory remarks made by a bunch of juvenile **** who lack any sort of human emotion whatsoever. To these heartless individuals around here, I ask, what have YOU done to serve your country? As to Artic Recon, my heartfelt sympathies go out towards you. You have truly done a great service to our nation and for that I couldn't thank you enough.
rlake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 rlake
Member since 2003 • 8438 Posts

Sorry to hear that man :(

Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts

I've been disabled all my life, increasingly weak hand/eye coordination that's getting even worse as I get older and a learning disability that makes it hard for me to learn via instructions, but rather with hands on experience, that takes some time as well but I do my best.

It's taken me all my life to be able to type as well as I do, to force my hands to work as I need them to work. Sadly it means I'm in 24/7 pain from the constant effort, but I refuse to give up, I refuse to let my disabilities win. I love gaming and I'm a born writer, so if I were to give up because it hurts a lot then I would never get anything done.

It's a case of focusing hard, setting your mind on your goals and doing the very best you can do and when you can relax, do so because it helps a lot when the pain is unbearable.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

I've been disabled all my life, increasingly weak hand/eye coordination that's getting even worse as I get older and a learning disability that makes it hard for me to learn via instructions, but rather with hands on experience, that takes some time as well but I do my best.

It's taken me all my life to be able to type as well as I do, to force my hands to work as I need them to work. Sadly it means I'm in 24/7 pain from the constant effort, but I refuse to give up, I refuse to let my disabilities win. I love gaming and I'm a born writer, so if I were to give up because it hurts a lot then I would never get anything done.

It's a case of focusing hard, setting your mind on your goals and doing the very best you can do and when you can relax, do so because it helps a lot when the pain is unbearable.

Smokescreened84

I have nothing but the utmost respect for you (and the OP as well), for not letting your disabilities stop you from doing what you want to do. Dunno about everyone else, but it sure gives me perspective about the things I take for granted.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
I applaud you for following your hobby even though you may not be able to play some games as efficiently as you can. Not many people have that kind of dedication but you sir are God among men. As for games, you might consider slower paced shooters since it seems that your a fan of them. CoD is great fun but its way twitchy. Perhaps shooters like Operation Flashpoint, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six (before Vegas), and the Socom series. While they still require reflexes, they are no were as demanding CoD, teamwork and tactics are the rule of the day there.
LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts

Mad respect to many in this thread. Ya'll are my heroes. Way to not give in to your disability and pursue your hobby of gaming. I have a friend who can only use one hand and he's on my FL on Xbox LIVE and he plays games along side everyone else.

Thank you for your strength and giving me inspiration in my life.

VanilleisLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 VanilleisLove
Member since 2009 • 32 Posts
I'm gonna have to disagree with some of the people here telling you to play slower paced games. If you want to play MW2, do it. The more a person does something the better they get. Disabled or not. Hard work never ceases to pay off sooner or later. Especially if you really want it. I might not be one to talk considering i've never been disabled, but if I were in your shoes i'd popping bullets everyday till I get first place in a match and i'd show all those haters. ;)
MugiwaraNo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 MugiwaraNo
Member since 2009 • 250 Posts
Don't be overpowered by your injuries. Well if you're injuries doesn't affect your mind, I prefer playing Real-Time Strategy like Company of Heroes. You can type wonderfully without misspelling. That means you are always good. --- Roman: Vlad! Vladdy boy what's going on? Vlad: Roman! Roman boy you tell me what's going on. Roman: Nice aftershave what is that "Sex Pest"? Vlad: No. It's "Where is my f**king money"? My Favorite conversation in GTA IV
skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts

I'm sorry to know what happened to you. All I can say is just continue playing games while you can. :)

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

No useful advice here, but you must really have balls of steel to come back from something like that and jump right on a (quite realistic) modern war game.F1_2004

If you were referring to COD games they are really not realistic at all, I don't need to be be a veteran to see that.