Gaming Websites - Are any Credible Anymore?

Avatar image for lozengez
lozengez

490

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lozengez
Member since 2011 • 490 Posts

Insofar as, does anyone include any gaming website as part of their regular web browsing anymore? Is there a single personality at gamespot that is of note? Have they broken a story of note, or scooped a major preview?

Gameinformer, due to their physical presence still demands some good preview coverage because publishers and developers alike enjoy seeing their game on the cover of a magazine, and the same can be said of Edge (but I cannot think of hte last time a game was revealed on Edge).

But website wise -- are they all dead now? Or are any worth checking out?

Avatar image for SupremeAC
SupremeAC

7561

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 SupremeAC
Member since 2003 • 7561 Posts

I enjoy reading Eurogamer. They'll attempt some actual investigative journalism every now and then, will do some left field articles and their technical department the Digital Foundry gets recognition from the industry. They were invited by MS to have a look at the internals of the XboneX and discuss how it was made before anyone else got a look at it.

Avatar image for johnd13
johnd13

10023

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 10023 Posts

I like PCGamer. They're a great news source and I enjoy reading some of their features. Eurogamer is also pretty good. Kotaku sometimes has interesting articles and reliable leaks.

Gamespot I use mostly for the forums and a quick rundown of the daily news. Anything more in depth than that and the site disappoints. Occasional grammatical errors in titles and subtitles, insane amount of coverage for non gaming related entertainment (the other day there were like 7 consecutive news stories about a spiderman theme park lol), boring video features, most of the video presenters are uninteresting, lack of interaction with the community.

As far as video content, I'm a fan of GiantBomb, GameInformer, Eurogamer and OutsideXbox. Never really cared about IGN.

Avatar image for thedriver78
TheDriver78

12

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 TheDriver78
Member since 2020 • 12 Posts

I usually hit PCGamer, RockPaperShotgun and Polygon pretty regularly. None have the forums like GS here though.

Avatar image for sakaixx
sakaiXx

7352

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#5 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 7352 Posts

Loled when I read PC Gamer. I just can't take them seriously anymore after their review of Iceborne. Those was some funny animal rights self realization shit I ever read.

https://www.pcgamer.com/monster-hunter-world-iceborne-review/

Avatar image for RSM-HQ
RSM-HQ

9111

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 9111 Posts

A non english one is 4Gamers, it's a common one I use personally. And my main source for gaming knowledge and hype.

Gamespot is the main english speaking gaming site I settled with. And not the biggest fan of its clickbait and poor coverage. Games Discussion is really the only reason I stick around, and my user is also used for GFAQ, which a huge benefit.

Through GFAQ forums I see a lot of love for Easy Allies and Destructoid. Don't particularly think either are great but they're certainly better than many the alternatives, and better than Gamespot.

Easy Allies does have a good and fun community 2boot; which I plan to jump to when/if GD crumbles. I'm already on the forums over there with a casual post once a while.

Avatar image for RSM-HQ
RSM-HQ

9111

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 9111 Posts
@sakaixx said:

Loled when I read PC Gamer. I just can't take them seriously anymore after their review of Iceborne. Those was some funny animal rights self realization shit I ever read.

https://www.pcgamer.com/monster-hunter-world-iceborne-review/

Honestly it comes across as mean spirited but Monster Hunter being reviewed by a P.C. dominate media outlet should always be taken with a huge grain_

I've seen/ read a few that brush it off as a "shitty console game". Refusing to appreciate a series that's been locked onto consoles/ handhelds for countless years.

Same I find with some console centric jerks trashing Divinity: Original Sin II as some dumb/ old looking RPG.

These 'professional' media reviewers are typically formed from and committed to appeal towards its most common clientele, which so happens to be fanbois. Simply clouded by bias loyalty to plastic and show a heavy dose of immaturity, unable to appreciate what they have in-front of them.

I mean let's be honest here before someone takes this the wrong way, did PCGamer ever complain about animal cruelty in World of Warcraft?

*Also after scanning that Iceborne review provided, padded and uninformative. Yet another example of the whole 'objectifying women' was pretty pitiful as well, US politics trying to corrupt overseas. What a hazbin. Didn't notice Kirin male armor or something, just to name a few.

And mentioned being a fan for years. . . Sure. Smells like a post-World game save review copy. Probably SOS spammed every major quest, or gave up after the first Velkhana encounter. The entire review was basically the same opinion someone who hasn't touched the series could give. Useless.

Avatar image for JustPlainLucas
JustPlainLucas

79941

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#8 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 79941 Posts

What gets me about this website was when they started covering non-related gaming news, like WWE and movies. Also, their news has been a mess ever since they started doing 10-20 separate articles on one game (Destiny 2 and RDR2 articles anyone) instead of a compendium, but I get it. They got to stay relevant and are paid by the click, and what better way than to take one article and split it up into 10 pieces. But still, the best way to remain relevant as a GAMING website is to just to focus on gaming news.

Avatar image for vfighter
VFighter

6267

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#9 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 6267 Posts

@sakaixx: That review was pure cringe...wtf did the idiot expect from a game called MONSTER HUNTER!?! LOL

Avatar image for RSM-HQ
RSM-HQ

9111

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 1

#10 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 9111 Posts

@vfighter said:

@sakaixx: That review was pure cringe...wtf did the idiot expect from a game called MONSTER HUNTER!?! LOL

Well, true but majority of monsters can be trapped and tranquillised. Only Elders and danger level threats cannot be captured.

Killing isn't always necessary but for certain loot, carving is more valuable over capture.

Avatar image for sakaixx
sakaiXx

7352

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 7352 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:
@vfighter said:

@sakaixx: That review was pure cringe...wtf did the idiot expect from a game called MONSTER HUNTER!?! LOL

Well, true but majority of monsters can be trapped and tranquillised. Only Elders and danger level threats cannot be captured.

Killing isn't always necessary but for certain loot, carving is more valuable over capture.

before you tranquilize those monster you got to break the parts, slice em enough for them to get permanent scar, maybe cut the tail, knock em out for a few second for an all out attack, trap them with electric or pitfall trap and finally you tranquilize the monster, if they survive long enough.

Avatar image for speeny
Speeny

2399

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#12 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 2399 Posts

I really only use YouTube as my primary source for gaming information and anything I read on these forums to be totally honest.

This forum doesn’t have as much traffic as it used to I’m sure but I like the community here. It’s close-knit.

Gamespot is handy for me to use as I can use the Stacks feature to monitor what I’ve played and plan to play. (Maybe I’m one of the few who use them in general, lol.)

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
mrbojangles25

46039

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 46039 Posts

@johnd13 said:

I like PCGamer. They're a great news source and I enjoy reading some of their features. Eurogamer is also pretty good. Kotaku sometimes has interesting articles and reliable leaks.

Gamespot I use mostly for the forums and a quick rundown of the daily news. Anything more in depth than that and the site disappoints. Occasional grammatical errors in titles and subtitles, insane amount of coverage for non gaming related entertainment (the other day there were like 7 consecutive news stories about a spiderman theme park lol), boring video features, most of the video presenters are uninteresting, lack of interaction with the community.

As far as video content, I'm a fan of GiantBomb, GameInformer, Eurogamer and OutsideXbox. Never really cared about IGN.

Yeah pretty much this.

PC Gamer, Eurogamer, and Kotaku actually have journalists write for them.

Seems like most other places have, well, people like us that like games, but also know trends. Might as well be business majors with minors in creative writing. The lack of professional journalists really shows in the articles, which also explains why 90% of the content at Gamespot are stupid videos I am forced to watch.

I mean if I want to know the "top 10 things about _______" please make a nice, concise, written article, don't make me watch a video.

On occasion you will see a really nice, insightful, written piece here at Gamespot and it is a breath of fresh air. Wish they did stuff like that more often.

Then again last week I read an article and in the first paragraph the author used "it" and "that" about 15 times.

I'm not a grammar nazi for the most part until I read stuff by people that are paid to write stuff.

Avatar image for outworld222
outworld222

3098

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#14 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 3098 Posts

I like Nintendolife and nintendo everything the most. Followed by mynintendo and n4g.

That’s my routine, I don’t really check out any other sites except for gamespot. But at game spot I just post here. That’s pretty much what I do.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

38480

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 38480 Posts

@sakaixx said:

Loled when I read PC Gamer. I just can't take them seriously anymore after their review of Iceborne. Those was some funny animal rights self realization shit I ever read.

https://www.pcgamer.com/monster-hunter-world-iceborne-review/

Yea, stuff like this where they are really just activists using the medium as a piggy back for their self-adulation drivel instantly throws any credibility out the window.

And if you take issue with this, you are automatically inducted into internets culture war, right-wing, evil and the enemy.

That goes for sites on the opposite end of the spectrum as well like OneAngryGamer where he doesn't realize he's under the same circus tend, it's like a parody site of all those grifter right-wing youtubers looking for outrage clicks, except he's not in on the joke.

Avatar image for RSM-HQ
RSM-HQ

9111

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 9111 Posts

@sakaixx said:

before you tranquilize those monster you got to break the parts, slice em enough for them to get permanent scar, maybe cut the tail, knock em out for a few second for an all out attack

True if a Great Sword user, Hammer bro/chick. Or any of the other weapons known to let loose a heavy does of destruction. Plenty of weapons do it, but not the Hunting Horn, you'd be lucky to get a scraped knee at most.

As such depends on the weapon you use, and if you put points into part breaker. The reviewer was solely playing majority the expansion with a Hunting Horn and as shown (Rooksearer Drum) later, one of the worst Iceborne HHs. I don't see this reviewer exactly doing much breaking or chopping without company. Best thing Bazel HH does is peak performance, doesn't offer much else, and only useful in a full squad.

Which goes back to my theory that this reviewer played SOS exclusively.

Also I get the feeling the reviewer didn't understand the game well enough that part breaker is a useful skill. What being some animal rights/ extreme feminist weirdo.

Avatar image for sakaixx
sakaiXx

7352

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#17 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 7352 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@sakaixx said:

Loled when I read PC Gamer. I just can't take them seriously anymore after their review of Iceborne. Those was some funny animal rights self realization shit I ever read.

https://www.pcgamer.com/monster-hunter-world-iceborne-review/

Yea, stuff like this where they are really just activists using the medium as a piggy back for their self-adulation drivel instantly throws any credibility out the window.

And if you take issue with this, you are automatically inducted into internets culture war, right-wing, evil and the enemy.

That goes for sites on the opposite end of the spectrum as well like OneAngryGamer where he doesn't realize he's under the same circus tend, it's like a parody site of all those grifter right-wing youtubers looking for outrage clicks, except he's not in on the joke.

Think as you like, I found the review funny as heck and not very worthy of such a "distingushed" site.

@RSM-HQ said:
@sakaixx said:

before you tranquilize those monster you got to break the parts, slice em enough for them to get permanent scar, maybe cut the tail, knock em out for a few second for an all out attack

True if a Great Sword user, Hammer bro/chick. Or any of the other weapons known to let loose a heavy does of destruction. Plenty of weapons do it, but not the Hunting Horn, you'd be lucky to get a scraped knee at most.

As such depends on the weapon you use, and if you put points into part breaker. The reviewer was solely playing majority the expansion with a Hunting Horn and as shown (Rooksearer Drum) later, one of the worst Iceborne HHs. I don't see this reviewer exactly doing much breaking or chopping without company. Best thing Bazel HH does is peak performance, doesn't offer much else, and only useful in a full squad.

Which goes back to my theory that this reviewer played SOS exclusively.

Also I get the feeling the reviewer didn't understand the game well enough that part breaker is a useful skill. What being some animal rights/ extreme feminist weirdo.

He/she did wrote he played 200 hours into world and 200 hours more into Iceborne. That is the same amount I took to platinum the game and iceborne.... I mean for that amount of time the reviewer should have at least some idea of some of the decorations, and probably optimized some build himself. though I do believe partbreaker was kinda rare in base game and the armor that come with the skill only came with Jho update release.

Do got to give the reviewer some props for playing HH though, I thought the Bazel give Atk up L?

Avatar image for RSM-HQ
RSM-HQ

9111

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 9111 Posts
@sakaixx said:

played 200 hours into world and 200 hours more into Iceborne. That is the same amount I took to platinum the game and iceborne.... I mean for that amount of time the reviewer should have at least some idea of some of the decorations, and probably optimized some build himself. though I do believe partbreaker was kinda rare in base game and the armor that come with the skill only came with Jho update release.

I would argue my theory on the reviewer has more evidence than yours honestly, pulling out theories based on hours could conclude with hanging out in the gathering hub while writing up a bad review.

Also getting a platinum in Iceborne would not consider any form of skill, RNG and house decorations is patience. Doesn't exactly demand much outside the MR200 quest

Majority of temps, mantle quests, and all Iceborne extended content can be avoided for the trophy.

And because is a HH main I assume relies on SOS to get the job done. Nothing indicated this reviewer is even average at the game.

Avatar image for sakaixx
sakaiXx

7352

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#19 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 7352 Posts

@RSM-HQ: just saying 400 hours into the game you should at least have good knowledge of the game.

Avatar image for RSM-HQ
RSM-HQ

9111

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 9111 Posts

@sakaixx said:

@RSM-HQ: just saying 400 hours into the game you should at least have good knowledge of the game.

Not that easily convinced myself. The review gave a lot to be desired. Just as the GameSpot reviewer for World claimed to be a Monster Hunter veteran while down-scoring the game for "difficult spike end-game". And keep in mind this was way before Kulve Taroth, Lunastra, and Behemoth.

Avatar image for sakaixx
sakaiXx

7352

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#21 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 7352 Posts

@RSM-HQ: oh man, forgot about that, everyone is a pro lol. Anyhow I personally think the reviewer for PCGamer just bullshitting to get clicks. He says spent hundred of hours and I doubt he actually got through the game being that uncomfortable with how the game treats monsters. And in the review he mentions rather play with the "pokemon snap" mechanic capturing monster behavior and the locales.

Avatar image for RSM-HQ
RSM-HQ

9111

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 1

#22 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 9111 Posts
@sakaixx said:

@RSM-HQ: oh man, forgot about that, everyone is a pro lol.

Honestly I just dislike how misleading that negative was, World is the most accessible entry in the mainline Monster Hunter series. It's a good entry point (shown by sales) and the GameSpot review made it come across as 'hardcore only, avoid'.

While MH is no means an easy game series, MHW is manageable even at end-game. My guess is the reviewer didn't do well against the double Bazelgeuse and Kirin tempered quests.

Carting a few times is fine and shouldn't be viewed a negative, it's all part of the process of learning. Some people apparently don't have the patience for a game-over/ failed screen.

Expecting to win flawlessly every time is not the mindset to go into any gaming series. And even then, compared to a lot of past MH game challenges; it's far, far more lenient.

Avatar image for gns
GNS

349

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#23 GNS
Member since 2015 • 349 Posts

I don't even read the reviews anymore since... ~2010, I think. Just sometimes post something in the forums.

Avatar image for Willy105
Willy105

25030

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#24  Edited By Willy105
Member since 2005 • 25030 Posts

Games journalism has been getting pretty good this past decade. Stuff like Kotaku has been doing some great work reporting on the games industry.

Gamespot has devolved into clickbait, and their actual content is not much different than you'd get on another website that posted the same stuff hours earlier.

As long as you don't get your news from Youtube, you should be fine.

Avatar image for warmblur
warmblur

4334

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#25 warmblur
Member since 2017 • 4334 Posts

They are all shills for ad revenue.

Avatar image for apkstriker
apkstriker

1

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#26 apkstriker
Member since 2020 • 1 Posts

Honestly, I love action, arcade games. And find daily new games on google and found amazing gaming sites and games. So, we are happy to say I get one amazing website on google that website name is https://apkstriker.com.

Avatar image for robert_sparkes
robert_sparkes

3905

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#27 robert_sparkes  Online
Member since 2018 • 3905 Posts

I find it hard to watch gameplay on known websites sometimes it's like they have never played a game before. The Doom 2016 springs to mind but DF and Eurogamer are my go to with a bit of gamespot.

Avatar image for ratchetclank92
RatchetClank92

101

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#30 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 101 Posts

I just use gamespot and IGN, and sometimes listen to youtube videos while driving on the latest news for gaming.

Avatar image for pillarrocks
pillarrocks

1623

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 0

#31 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 1623 Posts

Giant Bomb