Gaming laptop win XP or 7 ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sharonliaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By sharonliaw
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I'm sure this has been asked a million times but i would like to ask it again

im planing to buy an HP Pavilion g6 2301su laptop , 6 gigs of ram , 750 HDD , dual 2.4 intel pentium and AMD 7670M 1Gig graphics if u need further details just google the model i gave above (2301su) ... now i want to squeeze the max out of this laptop and as we all know ( i hope ) win 7 and 8 require almost double the ram from any game compared to win XP or older versions , but im only interested in XP.

Now as a GAMER i want game performance , i dont want shiny edges on my OS or shiny moving folders when im copying something , i want GAME PERFORMANCE .... so tell me

in my case , is win XP better than 7 and 8 , or should i install 7 anyway and still get better gaming performance than XP?

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

If you're looking for game performance, a laptop won't get you far unless it's made with gaming in mind. On the overall, you also have to realize that XP is on its way out. More and more games and programs are abandoning it as come next year, Microsoft is cutting support. If you're going to be playing a lot of older games, XP is fine I suppose. If you're looking for more recent stuff and future games, W7 and up. But on the overall, if you're looking for performance with those specs, don't expect the games to look that good.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17809 Posts

xp, legend that it is, is a dead OS now. finished, finito. it is gone to meet its maker so they can both take cheap shots at vista :P.

windows 7 is the way to go. from a gaming standpoint your laptop will have its limits but lack of ram will not be one of them.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Never buy a gaming laptop. They simply don't have enough airflow in proportion to the generated heat, and they can't be upgraded when they become obsolete.

About operating systems, Xp is good if you want to retrogame, other than that, recent games require a more recent OS.

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 barrybarryk
Member since 2012 • 488 Posts

Don't use XP for anything that connects to the internet anymore, it's a dead OS. There are very few games that work on XP and don't work on Windows 7 anyway and more and more modern games don't work on XP at all.

Oh yeah and then there's the fact the 64 bit Windows XP is a joke.

sharonliaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sharonliaw

hm.....can i run these " recent games" on these specs? if i cant run them there is no point in getting a new OS on a weak machine. also im buying a laptop simply cuzz im about to go to collage this year and i need a mobile machine , i know a desktop PC is a lot stronger than a laptop but i do need to move it around , otherwise u would have bought a PC . thanks for the quick response every1

black knight - i think there are some cooling pads or whatever that can be used for cooling , im not rly well informed here tho

i know XP is dead old and microsoft are cutting support for it , thats why i was asking for advice , otherwise i would have just sticked with the legend called XP

so in the end , sacrificing some RAM is not that much of a problem compared to the fact that i get a useful and compatible OS? correct?

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 barrybarryk
Member since 2012 • 488 Posts

XP is less compatible than Windows 7 these days, and that problem is going to increase as time goes on. No one in their right mind is going to recommended you install an OS when support is officially ending for it in a few months. Your games will run better under 7 than XP anyway, there's no reason to use XP

sharonliaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sharonliaw

DING DING DING DING DING ok win 7 wins

u guys really helped me out alot in the matter of hours , so thank you once again

hope to meet u on the battle feild of some awesome game !

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@sharonliaw said:

I'm sure this has been asked a million times but i would like to ask it again

im planing to buy an HP Pavilion g6 2301su laptop , 6 gigs of ram , 750 HDD , dual 2.4 intel pentium and AMD 7670M 1Gig graphics if u need further details just google the model i gave above (2301su) ... now i want to squeeze the max out of this laptop and as we all know ( i hope ) win 7 and 8 require almost double the ram from any game compared to win XP or older versions , but im only interested in XP.

Now as a GAMER i want game performance , i dont want shiny edges on my OS or shiny moving folders when im copying something , i want GAME PERFORMANCE .... so tell me

in my case , is win XP better than 7 and 8 , or should i install 7 anyway and still get better gaming performance than XP?

I thought 64-bit XP is crap for gaming. If you stick with 32-bit XP, you'll be able to use 3Gb of RAM. The other 3Gb will go to waste. Go with 64-bit Win 7. You don't like eye candy? Disable the themes.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Black_Knight_00

@sharonliaw said:

DING DING DING DING DING ok win 7 wins

u guys really helped me out alot in the matter of hours , so thank you once again

hope to meet u on the battle feild of some awesome game !

Oh and as a general rule, never buy an HP laptop: they are held together with spit and old bubblegum.

sharonliaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sharonliaw

back in the days HP wasnt compatible , or to be exact , they had trouble with the Nvidia graphics cards and from there peple have been brainwashed with the idea that HP sucks and its fucked .... well u might be right but , trial and error , thats how we learn lessons in life :D

moix123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 moix123
Member since 2013 • 71 Posts

if you say gaming laptop that i am assuming that it will be a kick ass laptop. So why windows xp? Go for windows 7 man.

when your machine can easily support it then why windows xp ?

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Black_Knight_00

@sharonliaw said:

back in the days HP wasnt compatible , or to be exact , they had trouble with the Nvidia graphics cards and from there peple have been brainwashed with the idea that HP sucks and its fucked .... well u might be right but , trial and error , thats how we learn lessons in life :D

My $800 HP Pavillion 5 had the graphics processor GLUED on the mainboard. Glued. Assembled in some sweatshop in China where they glued the GPU to the mainboard. Stay the **** away from HP laptops.

sharonliaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sharonliaw

MADE IN CHINA

nothing else i can say

peace out and thanks for the help

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@sharonliaw:

Just a heads up but there's an Alienware Laptop deal coming up on amazon later today.

moix123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By moix123
Member since 2013 • 71 Posts

@Heirren said:

@sharonliaw:

Just a heads up but there's an Alienware Laptop deal coming up on amazon later today.

on xmass?

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#17 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

If you are going to play PC games, buy a desktop or build one for less. If your decision to use a laptop for video games instead of alternatives is one of adamancy, I suggest you build a laptop yourself and install an OS when you assemble it. The entire process has many walkthroughs available on the internet which will aid you understanding the basics of computers from a consumer perspective if you do not know already.

For the operating system, I recommend you use Windows 8 if you are at a generally intermediate level with computers because the Windows 8 search feature made the user interface faster. If you intend to use a program that you know of then all you need to do is push the Windows key and type in the name of the app. Searching for files and settings is similarly simple. I believe Windows 8 has everything Windows 7 does and is capable of more. Use Windows 7 if you are learning about general operation of a PC. Do not use Windows XP anymore because Win 7 is a great improvement from XP and to reiterate other comments made in this thread, XP is near or in its final stage of being phased out by Microsoft. That end is a signal for Microsoft software-using companies to cease their support also.

Zijuun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Zijuun
Member since 2013 • 95 Posts

@Legendaryscmt said:

If you're looking for game performance, a laptop won't get you far unless it's made with gaming in mind. On the overall, you also have to realize that XP is on its way out. More and more games and programs are abandoning it as come next year, Microsoft is cutting support. If you're going to be playing a lot of older games, XP is fine I suppose. If you're looking for more recent stuff and future games, W7 and up. But on the overall, if you're looking for performance with those specs, don't expect the games to look that good.