Gaming industry and inflation

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kabinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Kabinator
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
We all hate paying for DLCs, micro-transactions, subscription fees etc on top of $60 to get a "full" game experience. But game prices haven't increased for a very long time now. I think it's $60 from 2005 till now. Gaming industry, like any other industry, is subjected to inflation. Salaries increased (even if it's lvled with inflation), gas prices increased, basic goods and services got more expensive. So the cost of developing, marketing for a game is more expensive now than compared to 2005. From inflation calculators, inflation from 2005-2011 is ~16%. So if we include inflation, the game price would be ~$70. Obviously, raising the game price to $70 would be a diaster in this economy especially if you are the first one to do so. So, developers/publishers became creative and we got DLCs, micro-transactions and so on. I am not saying ALL of $10 or $15 for a DLC is just to cover the inflation, of course they make profit from them. My question is, do you consider inflation relavant when it comes to your favourite hobby, gaming?
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Inflation is relevant, but there are also alot more buyers than there used to be.

Devs and publishers aren't looking to break even.

They want to make as much money as they can, it's why they go to work in the morning.

DLC is one way they can make more.

Vexx88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#3 Vexx88
Member since 2006 • 33342 Posts

Inflation is relevant, but there are also alot more buyers than there used to be.

Devs and publishers aren't looking to break even.

They want to make as much money as they can, it's why they go to work in the morning.

DLC is one way they can make more.

ZombieKiller7

All of this and production costs are higher.