Gaming Cafe / Gaming Lounge would one actually go?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

vlaka957

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 vlaka957
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
say there was a place where you could go every night (not that you would but could) where it was a giant LAN. Every night there was a themed tournament and you could enter for a few buck and win prizes. Also you could bring your own pc or use one at the location. Tournaments would span across all types of games And consoles. So like one night it could be Halo, next night, StarCraft II, Next night Smash Brothers, and the next COD:MW2.... and so on..... maybe the tournaments would be on weekends.... but either way. on all night you could just come in and game until the tournaments start. or just game straight through. the question is would any one actually participate in these tournaments? let alone going if your not going to be in the tournaments?
brain3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 brain3d
Member since 2009 • 176 Posts

Yeah sure, sounds fun. They actually did that in Zavvi, until it was shut down... :cry:

Ravirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 Ravirr
Member since 2004 • 7931 Posts

Yes, I'm currently trying to get into the FTG scene in my area. Sadly college has prevented me from attending some of the events.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
That's exactly what me and a friend wanted to open earlier this year. Unfortunately it's illegal in this idiot country :'(
vlaka957

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 vlaka957
That's exactly what me and a friend wanted to open earlier this year. Unfortunately it's illegal in this idiot country :'(Black_Knight_00
is it really? what country is that? /cross fingers
stat30fbliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 stat30fbliss
Member since 2005 • 152 Posts
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]That's exactly what me and a friend wanted to open earlier this year. Unfortunately it's illegal in this idiot country :'(vlaka957

Seriously, in what country is this? I would love to either open up a Game Cafe, or at least frequent a high quality one if it were nearby. Offer top of the line equipment, so people are enticed to come. Tournaments with fun/cool prizes, including cash. Ambiance is key. Nice chairs, lighting, etc. And leave slots available for the guys that want to bring in their own custom systems/hardware. OMG it would be so much fun
HellsAngel2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 HellsAngel2c
Member since 2004 • 5540 Posts
a few years back, Zavvi and Omega Games used to do this. Both are no more...
VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

Successful ones are few and far between, if they exist at all. I've seen too many open with much enthusiasm but end up closing because they just couldn't implement a business model that actually made money.

CooperThief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 CooperThief
Member since 2009 • 648 Posts

That would pretty cool. I'd like to see an arcade with like a PS3 and Xbox360 and Wii instead of arcade machines. Not that they aren't fun.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
[QUOTE="vlaka957"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]That's exactly what me and a friend wanted to open earlier this year. Unfortunately it's illegal in this idiot country :'(stat30fbliss

Seriously, in what country is this? I would love to either open up a Game Cafe, or at least frequent a high quality one if it were nearby. Offer top of the line equipment, so people are enticed to come. Tournaments with fun/cool prizes, including cash. Ambiance is key. Nice chairs, lighting, etc. And leave slots available for the guys that want to bring in their own custom systems/hardware. OMG it would be so much fun

You're safe guys, the country is Italy. After a long wait, we got a response from the bureaucrats telling us such places exist but are against the copyright law. We were like... WTF, why don't they close them..?
Avatar image for UnknownElement4
UnknownElement4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 UnknownElement4
Member since 2008 • 2603 Posts

Sounds like fun. I would definently go.

cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

One opened in the town I used to live in. And though it was always packed. They closed within months.

vlaka957

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 vlaka957
i would love to see one that was successful. interesting. where were these places located?
Ravirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 Ravirr
Member since 2004 • 7931 Posts

Eudomonia is Berekeley seems to be working out. Thats were some of the Blazblue tournaments are held.

planetjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 planetjumper
Member since 2010 • 638 Posts

Had one in San Jose California called RapidFire, was good for a while especially during the DotA and 1.6 craze, and died out as soon as people could play without dial up. It was too expensive to play there and the fact that they had to keep 32computers up and running nonstop. I'd say it lasted around 3 to 4 years before people wised up. It was great while it lasted, but personally nowadays I'm not gonna pay to play anygame thats already free online.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#16 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
Yeah, at my uni here in Sydney there is a union that does that sort of thing every so often. Other than that there are several PC Gaming centric net-cafes that hold tournaments. DotA, Starcraft 2, CS, CoD4, Company of Heroes and Warcraft 3 being the usual events.
Alex3796

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 1

#17 Alex3796
Member since 2009 • 2669 Posts

That sounds very cool. I would definitely check it out, if there was one.

vlaka957

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 vlaka957
i am really just interested to see if something like this would hold up. i think with the right plan something like this would work really well.
Toastngravy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Toastngravy
Member since 2007 • 42 Posts

There's already numerous establishments like what you're stating. Granted, not exactly what you're stating because that's actually just silly.

But really, there are quite a few places like that around and about. Some are popular and known, some are known, and some are in what ever category is left.

Wizards_Sleeve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Wizards_Sleeve
Member since 2010 • 43 Posts
If i had one near me it would be great. I love your idea. I know these sort of places exist in some countries but there are none near where i live. A shame really.
Easports48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Easports48
Member since 2005 • 1761 Posts

That would pretty cool. I'd like to see an arcade with like a PS3 and Xbox360 and Wii instead of arcade machines. Not that they aren't fun.

CooperThief
That's what I am saying. A place where anyboby could go. Have it an alcohol free buliding. A place where you could bring your own ps3,360,wii games. Charge like 5 dollars a person.
AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#22 AtlanticRock
Member since 2007 • 8131 Posts

there's a place like that in manhattan, but it's a normal lounge/bar during the week. On sundays they have numerous rooms for consoles and games, you bring your own games and controllers though...

FB LINK

Archendrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Archendrus
Member since 2010 • 306 Posts

Aw I would totally hang at a place like that =D Would be cool if there was a non-competitive area in addition to having tournaments. Would also be cool if you could kick back and have a beer or two....though expensive gaming equipment + drunk people = probable disaster XD. I guess I can go without the alcohol, as long as there's COFFEE!!

ccw808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ccw808
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

The only problem is making sure the local gaming community is competitive enough. Online, you're competing against the world, but in a local cafe, a good gamer could easily dominate every single tournament making it no fun for everyone else.

Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
I'm already in my weekly college lan party.
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
i would totally go.