Gamestop/EB Games Job?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bamb0o-Stick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Bamb0o-Stick
Member since 2003 • 61 Posts

I'm thinking of looking for a part-time job at a Gamestop or EB Games. I figure this job will go hand in hand with my gaming hobby. I assume as an employee you will get a discount on games, systems, etc. Are there any other perks to having this job?

Would anyone here who have worked in these stores recommend working in one and care to share what they think based on their experience?

Does the job pay well, what's the usual pay rate for part-time employees? Do you just sit around on the clerk desk all day?

Any tips on how to land a job at these game stores better? Are there particular times of the year that they are more likely to hire people?

I would say I'm pretty knowledgeable on current games, especially the ones that appeal to teens and adults. I own a Wii, DS, PS3, PC and soon a PSP. I keep myself up to date with all the gaming news by checking gaming sites like Joystiq, VoodooExtreme and Gametrailers almost daily. If a person is looking for a game, I would be very eager to help them find the right one. I've worked at a Starbucks before, so I know how to deal with (or at least handle) most people.

So what does everyone think? Is a place like this worth my time? I kinda shudder at the thought of myself asking someone if they would like to preorder a game, but I guess I have to take the good with the bad.

spinoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#2 spinoff
Member since 2003 • 2279 Posts

So what does everyone think? Is a place like this worth my time? I kinda shudder at the thought of myself asking someone if they would like to preorder a game, but I guess I have to take the good with the bad.

Bamb0o-Stick

I worked at Gamestop in high school. I had a great experience though yours would be what you make of it.

You get an employee discount. Last I heard it was 15% or so plus a bunch of random promotional things like t-shirts, demo discs, etc.

If you're looking for a job to get your working life started then yes, I think it's a pretty good place to start. You deal with video games all day long so if you love games you can spend all day talking to customers about games, and the more you know about games the better off you'll be because customers will come to respect your opinion and therefore come back to the store, making your manager happy. There are sales expectations on the job. As you already assume you need to push things like reservations, trade-ins, and the like, and a big part of the job is how well you are able to push the company's products beyond just punching things into the cash register.

Pay would depend on your prior experience, but it is not better or worse than average retail pay.

To get hired, you need to look nice and have one or two good references. When you drop off your resume make sure the manager knows who you are and follow-up on a regular basis regarding the status of your application. They hire extra part-time people leading up to the holidays, but it will vary store to store when they hire permanent positions. You have to ask the manager, because every game store manager I've known has a huge stack of resumes, but very few of them are of any exemplary quality that they would hire.

Bamb0o-Stick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Bamb0o-Stick

Thanks a lot for the information, it was really helpful. I've had two steady jobs before, I just put them aside because of school. My last job I've had for four years working as a baker in a kitchen, the only problem is that I can't use that as work experience. It just doesn't really apply to retail and selling games, you know? They're great as references though, because I always show up on time, never call sick, etc. I hope this separates me from the typical teen who just wants to join a game store like its a candy factory.

Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
Depends on the area. In my area Gamestop and other electronics stores are stacked with applications from people who want to work there.
92GreenYJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 92GreenYJ
Member since 2006 • 482 Posts

Thanks a lot for the information, it was really helpful. I've had two steady jobs before, I just put them aside because of school. My last job I've had for four years working as a baker in a kitchen, the only problem is that I can't use that as work experience. It just doesn't really apply to retail and selling games, you know? They're great as references though, because I always show up on time, never call sick, etc. I hope this separates me from the typical teen who just wants to join a game store like its a candy factory.

Bamb0o-Stick
Actually thats not true. One of the best things you can do is market yourt skill sets. As a baker there are skills that transfer over to retail. Such as excellent organizational skills, good time management, ability to work on your own unsupervised, etc. You just need to figure out which skills you learned there that would transfer over to a retail environment and market those skills on your resume. This is speaking as a manager who interviews people regularly. Also, as stated above, look proffessional whenever you go in. be it the first time you ask for the application to the actual interview itself. When you go in too, make sure your cell phone is off and out of site, thats a turn off right away. Don't smell like you just smoked, etc. Make good eye contact as well
muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

If you love talking about video games youll love it. I workedin the elctronics department at Zellers at loved talking video games.

indongga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 indongga
Member since 2003 • 10329 Posts
definitely do it, i work at footlocker and im also thinkin of applying to the gamestop in the mall too for a second job.
Bamb0o-Stick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Bamb0o-Stick

It seems to be really tough to get a job as a Keyholder or Advisor. Unless you're applying for a manager or assistant manager position, its hard not to have your application lost in a pile. That is, if they even give you an application to fill out to begin with. I went by my store today and asked if they knew any stores that were hiring, but the clerk told me there wasn't any. There doesn't seem to be any way to search for any job openings for Advisors, even online. The Gamestop site only lets you search for management and asst managers only. Anybody got any tips? Should I just go back to the store and ask them if there's any way I can search for other stores for Advisor positions?

fear9204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 fear9204
Member since 2009 • 641 Posts

wow, all the info help me out a lot, i just apply for a job at gamestop, a quick question, what if i have long hair, do i just shave my head, do they requiered to pulled it back or something?

Bamb0o-Stick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Bamb0o-Stick

I doubt they would require you to shave your head. If they don't tell you to tie your hair back, at least trim it enough so you can do so. Don't go into an interview with your hair all over the place either. Keep it neat and presentable.

92GreenYJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 92GreenYJ
Member since 2006 • 482 Posts

I doubt they would require you to shave your head. If they don't tell you to tie your hair back, at least trim it enough so you can do so. Don't go into an interview with your hair all over the place either. Keep it neat and presentable.

Bamb0o-Stick
What he said. In a retail environement you wouldn't need to have your hair up. We require it in the restaurant industry but that is due to health codes. Don't think anyone would complain about hair being on a game box in a retail store but find a hair in your food and the stuff hits the fan, even though 9 times out of 10 its the customers own hair that they find.
hessian11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hessian11
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

My Brother recently had an Interview for Game (Games Wizards), I know they tend to like the Loose people..... People that work great with Customers....

I'm sure it would be the same for EBgames and Gamespot.