Gamestop: PS3 out of stock 80% of time

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

PS3 has seen an amazing bunch of releases in recent months (hell, in March PS3 software sales outshone those of every other system) so its insane that Sony decided to transition to new hardware (the reason for the production hiccup) as games like Heavy Rain, GoW3 and FF13 rolled out. Its like they hired one of Sega's success hating execs and put him in charge of determining timing for such things.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/109/1091397p1.html

Sony's PlayStation 3 console shortages reached as high as 80 percent, according to retailer GameStop.

The company noted on its financial call this morning that the
ongoing shortages of the PS3 left the retailer with little inventory during its first quarter of sales.

pete_merlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 pete_merlin
Member since 2007 • 6098 Posts

PS3 is pretty sexy, although I dont think it outsold the Wii or DSi in March. I really have switched from my xbox to my PS3 lately, quality is just better imo

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I've noticed this as well. It's odd that a system as old as the ps3 is just now picking up steam. Sony is in a good position at the moment. It's out of stock at a lot of places, but people want what they can't have. It's also a steal of a future proof blu ray player AND has games that can be picked up for $20. I got into the ps3 late, and often times I have to ask if this/that cheap game is any good.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#4 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

They will continue having shortage issues as long as the PS3 price is so low. PS3 is currently below the equilibrium price. The quantity of PS3 demanded is higher due to the low price, while the quantity of PS3 supplied is lower due to the low price, therefore creating a shortage between the two distant figures.

Theoretically speaking Sony would actually experience an increase in number of PS3 sold if they raise the price. EDIT:

PS3 is currently priced at P2, below Po. In theory if the price is raised to Po, the quantity of PS3 sold will increase with the absence of shortage. However the reason behind Sony's action is most probably due to the fact that most of the money coming out of PS3 is not from sale of PS3, but rather sale of PS3 games. Sony would therefore sacrifice PS3 price for increased motivation to buy PS3 games.

It's Sony in a good position? Hard to tell based on only this and not their financial statements.

Last we've heard, Sony is still making a loss on each new PS3 sale. The shortage could very well be caused by attempts to minimise cost rather than enthusiastic buyers.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

PS3 has seen an amazing bunch of releases in recent months (hell, in March PS3 software sales outshone those of every other system) so its insane that Sony decided to transition to new hardware (the reason for the production hiccup) as games like Heavy Rain, GoW3 and FF13 rolled out. Its like they hired one of Sega's success hating execs and put him in charge of determining timing for such things.

CarnageHeart

First, this proves that there was indeed a shortage, and people just weren't making it up.

Secondly, you have to keep in mind that Sony actually hit their 13 million units sales target for their fiscal year. They were upto around 3 million units by the time Slim hit store shelves so they actually sold 10 million units since September. You have several Sony execs saying that they didnt forsee this demand, and tbh I didnt think Sony could hit their 13 million target after selling around 100K unitsper month for most oflast year. They probably thought they would be able to sell the original Slims till theyhave a different model, a much cheaper modelin production, butthanks to some pretty strong demandthatstrategyhaskinda back fired on them.

Lastly, like the guy above me pointed out, Sony was still losing money on each PS3 sold. So they more PS3s they sold, the more losses they took.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CarnageHeart

I've noticed this as well. It's odd that a system as old as the ps3 is just now picking up steam. Sony is in a good position at the moment. It's out of stock at a lot of places, but people want what they can't have. It's also a steal of a future proof blu ray player AND has games that can be picked up for $20. I got into the ps3 late, and often times I have to ask if this/that cheap game is any good.

Heirren
I think its because the system's price hit what a healthy chunk of consumers consider reasonable ($300) only in late 2009. Also, nowadays most 3rd party ports (bar Bayonetta) are competent. Though the X360 (usually the lead platform) still wins 99% of head to head comparisons, PS3 ports aren't garbage like they were in the old days. It doesn't hurt that Sony's internal developers are doing a great job on a wide variety of IPs but most gamers care more about the vast number of games that Sony doesn't doesn't have a hand in.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

S0lidSnake

First, this proves that there was indeed a shortage, and people just weren't making it up.

Secondly, you have to keep in mind that Sony actually hit their 13 million units sales target for their fiscal year. They were upto around 3 million units by the time Slim hit store shelves so they actually sold 10 million units since September. You have several Sony execs saying that they didnt forsee this demand, and tbh I didnt think Sony could hit their 13 million target after selling around 100K unitsper month for most oflast year. They probably thought they would be able to sell the original Slims till theyhave a different model, a much cheaper modelin production, butthanks to some pretty strong demandthatstrategyhaskinda back fired on them.

Lastly, like the guy above me pointed out, Sony was still losing money on each PS3 sold. So they more PS3s they sold, the more losses they took.

The fact Sony doesn't understand the relationship between price and demand is puzzling. At almost the same time they greatly increased demand for the PS3 by rolling out a cheaper model they also greatly reduced demand for the PSP by rolling out a more expensive model (yes, the cheaper model is still on shelves and its what everyone buys, but the more expensive model is the model one tends to see in adverts). Imagine if Sony had gone crazy and chopped the price of the PSP to $150 or even $130 dollars. The PSP wouldn't have started crushing the DS in sales (not in the US anyway), but there would have been a positive impact.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
When I went out to get a new Slim the other day, I had to try three different Gamestops to get one. They said they've been lucky if they get two or three every couple of weeks.