Gamespot reviews, time for multiply reviews?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shadowcreaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 shadowcreaper
Member since 2006 • 1483 Posts

It seems now that Gamespot reviews are very much done in blocks, by this they get a copy of the game and review it then use that review for all platforms.

Plenty of examples of this as of recent games but one example.

MW3, reviewed on Xbox 360, given a 8.5 now i will bet my house that the PC review will be......8.5

Same thing for BF3 8.5 all platforms.

I relise this was the norm but in todays gaming world Console VS PC games are actually different Gamespot, did you notice?

I feel that Gamespot if it isnt trying to be a pure Console only review site should attempt to make a effort with its reviews for PC users, who at the end of the day were the first and are useally the most mature :)

So i ask Gamespot, please can you do separate reviews for Console+PC games as using one of the other is just pure lazyness.

cheers.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#2 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
they usually mention platform specific differences if there are any notable ones. EDIT: also, i have to laugh at the notion that the pc CoD fanatic is somehow a more sophisticated than the console one and requires a review that truly captures its mature depth and artful commentary.
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#3 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

The reason why all platforms get around the same score is because they are EXACLTY the same game! Shocking I know right :shock:

I would like to see however mabey a second opinion in a review from a different reviewer, you know like the main review than they havea column from another staff member and they give their opinion on the game. That way you get multiple views on a product instead of just one. I know people say use the user reviews, but alot of those are just trolls and fanboys so it's useless lol.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts

I can't stand sites/mags just copy/pasting a PC or even Wii review along with PS3 and 360. They are very different systems which would lead you to believe the review would be different. I have been on a mission for over a year not to get sites to stop doing this crap but of course the "big" sites will never listen but the "smaller" one's always do so it helps.

Mohsiuddin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mohsiuddin
Member since 2011 • 32 Posts
Gamespot gave rage pc 7.0 and rage console 8.5 I think.
LJChronx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LJChronx
Member since 2003 • 954 Posts

Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. I do agree with the poster about Wii getting a separate review in some cases. Obviously the graphics are different, but we can all tell that apart. However, the Wii's unique controls certainly deserve its own review, as the game plays completely different.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
If there is a noticeable difference there should be multiple reviews, but the majority of the time all of the versions are too similar to warrant another review.
shadowcreaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 shadowcreaper
Member since 2006 • 1483 Posts
If there is a noticeable difference there should be multiple reviews, but the majority of the time all of the versions are too similar to warrant another review. meetroid8
That cannot be a good excuse i find in todays gaming market where console games are very much different compared to PC ones, and the only time i could justify that rule of no noticeable difference if for Xbox and PS3 for example. Good example of this right now is... BF3, Console review no dout, yet the PC game is another league compared to the console versions, the engine alone deserves a proper in depth review for PC, and i think all PC gamers right now playing the game will agree if you play XBOX BF3 then PC BF3 you really will "notice a noticeable difference"... Another game MW3, i can bet my life savings that the review score will be.........8.5 exact same as Xbox and rest of consoles. Now compare this to PC specific reviews from other sites where their reviews, harash or not, do state that the PC version of MW3 is very much lacking compared to what PC users expect from a PC game in todays market. I think Gamespot needs to address this gap in its reviews more otherwise it will become a console only review site and lose a lot of its "cred" with PC gamers who of which will go to other review sites for more PC specific and more detailed reviews of games. even a nod within a review to specific platform changes wouldnt go amiss and doesnt take that much time at the end to type XBOX 8.5 PC 7.5 .....
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Then give them money to hire more staff.
BaraChat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 BaraChat
Member since 2008 • 3144 Posts

I thought it was for multiple opinions on the same game. I would LOVE to see that. I don't remember which mag does it, but there's always a "second opinion" section in the corner with 2 or 3 lines to explain why the other writer thought differently.

It would lead to even more hate on forums, but I would applaud GS if they went that way.