GameSpot Games of the Month

• 58 results
#1 Edited by GameSpot (900945 posts) -

JANUARY: OLLIEOLLIE

Varied objectives ensure you need to keep employing different strategies. Think you can fly through a course without pushing off? Can you land every trick perfectly? Easier said than done. Throw in a host of different stage layouts, and you're always presented with a new challenge to overcome. OlliOlli nabs our first Game of the Month award because it's fast, exciting, and all too happy to kick our butts. [READ MORE]

FEBRUARY: THE LAST OF US: LEFT BEHIND

Ultimately, Left Behind is about how things are fleeting and how people are haunted by loss, but we're left with our memories, and these become a part of who we are. It's appropriate, then, that the act of playing Left Behind leaves you with so many memories of the time that Ellie and Riley spent together. [READ MORE]

MARCH: DARK SOULS II

Dark Souls II is a smart game, naturally leading you through its misty marshes and black crypts without holding your hand along the way. It rewards your keen eye and innate curiosity by gifting you with new rewards, new ideas, and perhaps even a few tricks that mollify the extreme pain of upcoming boss fights. Dark Souls II's world reveals increasingly surprising sights, sounds, and battles, some of which are nothing like what we've seen in the Souls series until now. And for that, we say “Praise the Sun!” [READ MORE]

APRIL: CHILD OF LIGHT

Child of Light is so soft-spoken that you have to lean in close to hear what it's saying. But it lifted our spirits despite its sorrowful mood, and reminded us what it's like to be human. That's a singular achievement in the realm of video games, when so many games eagerly transport us away from ourselves, and we are thankful that such a powerful mirror into our own hearts exists. [READ MORE]

MAY: SUPER TIME FORCE

May burst upon us with more amazing games than we could ever have imagined. We haven't even mentioned the likes of Kentucky Route Zero or The Wolf Among Us yet, which furthered their already mesmerizing stories. Who would have thought the month before E3 would make us care so much about the present rather than wonder what the future holds? But that's what May had in store for us, and Super Time Force was the best of the bunch. [READ MORE]

JUNE: SHOVEL KNIGHT

It may be easy to point to the old-school qualities that can be found in every element of Shovel Knight and call it a nostalgia grab, but that top-level analysis ignores the fact that, even though it borrows from the past, it does many of the things it seemingly emulates better than the source material ever did, despite what our memories of the past would like us to think. Still, there's a reason we hold those classics dear in our hearts and minds, and a reason Shovel Knight deserves recognition for standing up to the caliber of its muses, and then some. [READ MORE]

JULY: DIVINITY: ORIGINAL SIN

Divinity: Original Sin provides a world of wonder and a fair challenge, using the trappings of the classics we adore to tell a brand new tale, and to introduce brand-new tactical considerations. It is sometimes funny and sometimes grim, sometimes tense and sometimes easygoing, but Original Sin is always special, and the runaway winner of July’s Game of the Month award. [READ MORE]

AUGUST: P.T

Forget that P.T.'s the work of Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro; it was its pairing of hardcore puzzle solving and scare-tactics, and its subtle nudge to play together near and far that made it our favorite gaming experience during the month of August. [READ MORE]

#2 Posted by Behardy24 (5324 posts) -

First! :P

#6 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

DLC =/= game

that's all i have to say

#7 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

^ WORD ! ^ :)

#8 Posted by zeroyaoi (2450 posts) -

Shovel knight looks great.

#9 Posted by microtrony (25 posts) -

Dammit! Forgot about Dark Souls 2 :S. How the hell could I forget about DS?! Oh, yess, cause of Divinity :P

#10 Posted by blamix99 (2685 posts) -

Mario Kart 8 deserves game of the month of may

#11 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Sorry, but you can't take this seriously when they have DLC as their game of the month when it clearly is added content

#12 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride

Indeed, but the larger problem is the community dancing to gamespot's particular tune. I'm very inquisitive and won't accept a concept on anybody's say so, unless it makes sense. But I fear that ship has sailed, people will come to accept DLC Eligible for the title of Game of The Month and pretty soon, Game Of The Year aswell, an award that is already flawed :(

#14 Edited by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@The_Last_Ride

Indeed, but the larger problem is the community dancing to gamespot's particular tune. I'm very inquisitive and won't accept a concept on anybody's say so, unless it makes sense. But I fear that ship has sailed, people will come to accept DLC Eligible for the title of Game of The Month and pretty soon, Game Of The Year aswell, an award that is already flawed :(

Which is stupid. If First Light from Infamous get's game of the month, then it's obvious we have to give up on the site

#15 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride

I only pray that WHEN comes, I'l have the strength to move, but cartharsis is so hard to achieve if I can't delete my account, :(

#16 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride

I only pray that WHEN that day comes, I'l have the strength to move on, but cartharsis is so hard to achieve if I can't delete my account, :(

#17 Posted by Jacanuk (12096 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Sorry, but you can't take this seriously when they have DLC as their game of the month when it clearly is added content

Ride you know why Gamespot took the DLC as game of the month.

I wonder if all hope is over for Gamespot because with the UK gaming office pretty much closed , its hard to find "gaming is fun" attitude , its more polygone then a gamingsite nowadays.

#18 Posted by GameSpot (900945 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride: Sorry you feel that way — but we appreciate your honest spin on things.

#19 Posted by Aureas (25 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

DLC =/= game

that's all i have to say

#21 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@GameSpot said:

@The_Last_Ride: Sorry you feel that way — but we appreciate your honest spin on things.

I don't have any issue with gamespot choosing any game at all, but a DLC is not a game.

#23 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Ride you know why Gamespot took the DLC as game of the month.

I wonder if all hope is over for Gamespot because with the UK gaming office pretty much closed , its hard to find "gaming is fun" attitude , its more polygone then a gamingsite nowadays.

The uk office from IGN is brilliant. But still DLC is not a full game, therefore it can not and should not win game of the month

#29 Edited by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@jeager_titan said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

But still DLC is not a full game, therefore it can not and should not win game of the month

You do know that Tomspot and Carospot are counting this as GOTY.

Which is bs, as i stated. A DLC is not a full game unless it's a standalone like Far Cry Blood Dragon for example. This isn't, it's an add on to the game to tell backstory and it's not a game of it's own

#31 Posted by watchdogsrules (541 posts) -

@GameSpot: you know what i've notice about gamespot? their games of the month are either 2-D side scrolling games or some boring game imo.

#32 Posted by yokofox33 (30774 posts) -

Oh snap. Didn't realize Shovel Knight won for June. Great game and happy for the devs. Met one of the creators recently and he was a super nice guy.

#33 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

it's surprising that a DLC for Last of Us will make it for game of the month, but not the game itself...

#34 Edited by MrYaotubo (2880 posts) -

Divinity: Original Sin wins game of the month,well deserved,easily game of the month and so far the game of the year,fantastic,proper RPG.

#36 Posted by markjohnshon (25 posts) -

The ranking of the games is justified love playing shovel knight though.

#39 Posted by bookfiend (25 posts) -

There's a difference between suggestive criticism and ignorance. Posting negative comments is incredibly ignorant. This is a great thread and I hope it continues. I enjoy seeing games that you don't hear about, and gamespot does such a good job with bringing them to light.

#43 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

wonder what's going to win GOTY with Petit and McShea gone

#44 Posted by adriatomy (25 posts) -

love to DARK SOUL. it seem to me scary :)

Avatar image for khurramaftabgee
#46 Posted by Khurramaftabgee (25 posts) -

WOW ! Awesome game i like it very much , just tell me one important thing where and how can i download this game for PC ?

#49 Posted by hecklion101 (44 posts) -

DARK SOULS II is the best. Great game.

#50 Edited by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

Gamespot... Seriously, a demo and a DLC for game of the month? Seriously guys...