Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#1 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Games that get positive reviews from most critics but that you haven't enjoyed yourself.

For me it was The Witcher 2 - I'm not saying it's a bad game but I didn't find it nearly as interesting as most people said it was.

vespuche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 vespuche
Member since 2007 • 1078 Posts

Fallout New Vegas. Only Fallout I have played, made me not get FO4.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Can we name games that we enjoyed, but still found overrated by critics and/or fans?

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Starshine_M2A2

@Bigboi500 said:

Can we name games that we enjoyed, but still found overrated by critics and/or fans?

Sure. This isn't MY thread, you can say what you want.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11664 Posts

Probably Destiny, never played it but I don't understand the appeal.

Looks generic, read the gameplay is average, grindy, and very repetitive.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Starshine_M2A2

@RSM-HQ said:

Probably Destiny, never played it but I don't understand the appeal.

I think that game was actually poorly received by most critics, though.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#7 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

hmmm....so many games. Until Dawn, Resident Evil, Borderlands series, Metro series, Dragon's Dogma, Braid...the list goes on, and I don't have enough time to explain why I don't particularly care for these titles like so many others do.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Games that have 10\10 ratings are overrated.

TheManofTin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#9 TheManofTin
Member since 2011 • 395 Posts

To each their own, but I felt these games did not match my expectations or give me the same amount of enjoyment as most critics received:

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim- The scale of the sandbox was breathtaking and at first, I was engaged in the world and combat, but as time went on and that "wow" factor wore off, I found Skyrim to be a pretty boring, dense game. The story isn't interesting at all, there are no memorable or compelling characters, the quests feel copy and paste, the combat isn't very satisfying and the actual lore is completely generic. There really isn't anything that sets Skyrim apart from any other fantasy setting. Yes, the Elder Scroll has this grand, historical and detailed lore, but I feel like a lot of people confuse that for GOOD lore. Just because there are many fictional stories and books scattered through Skyrim that try to make the world feel more authentic, does not make it any more interesting. I really wanted to love this game, but to me, it's an alright game that can be fun at times. I really wish I liked it as much as everyone else seemed to.

Grand Theft Auto 4- Perhaps it was groundbreaking for its time, but age hasn't been kind to GTA 4, especially in the shadow of its successor, GTA 5. I liked the writing, the story, the setting of Liberty City, and I feel GTA 4 triumphs over GTA 5 in some aspects, but I do not feel GTA 4 qualifies to be one of the greatest games of all time. It's a fun sandbox game, but it can be a bit too grounded in reality at times, which is bizarre for a series as satirical and over the top as Grand Theft Auto. It's still an amazing game, but I think for its time, it seemed way more exciting and great than it really was.

Halo 3- A lot of fans of this game are too young to remember the hype and acclaim surrounding Halo 3. It was supposed to be this grand, epic finale to what was a series that pioneered gaming into a blockbuster experience. Rather than a grandiose, dramatic conclusion, we got a melodramatic, underwhelming wrap-up. I must specify, I am talking about Halo 3 in terms of its campaign. Watch any of these pre-release trailers for this game and look how far this game fell short. I love Halo 3's multiplayer and the way Bungie created a sense of community with level-sharing, forge and theater mode. If only as much effort were put into Halo 3's writing and campaign. The story was convoluted and boring, the game didn't really offer anything different from the previous 2 in terms of level design and set-pieces, and we never really got that huge and gritty conclusion all the trailers and commercials offered. Really what we got was a fantastic multiplayer experience with an obligatory, rushed finale slapped on.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@Starshine_M2A2 said:
@Bigboi500 said:

Sure. This isn't MY thread, you can say what you want.

In that case, I'll say Uncharted 4. I'd give it an 8 and don't see why some think it's the crowning achievement of gaming. Good game? Yes. Bestest evvar? Hell no.

BattleStreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 BattleStreak
Member since 2016 • 1763 Posts

Of course, to each his own, but I have a few that I think are sorely overrated by gamers and critics alike.

Undertale- I've tried the demo, and I can say that I enjoyed it. I plan on buying the game at some point, but I still don't think the game is on the level that people make it out to be. And no, it has nothing to do with the graphics.

Halo Series- I have never, nor will I ever, understood the appeal of Halo. It looks like a generic sci-fi-ish shooter to me. I've seen, and tried, some of the multiplayer, and I hated it. Never understood why people liked it so much.

Uncharted Series- Don't get me wrong, the games are pretty good. I've heard that Uncharted 4 was really good, and upon watching gameplay of the game, I agree. But, but, the series is still overrated. I definitely enjoy this series more than Halo, but I still think the Uncharted series is overrated.

Dark Souls- I've played through Dark Souls 1 and 2, and look forward to playing 3. But, I think the game series is overrated. Maybe it's the difficulty?

Fallout- Personally, I love the Fallout series. I've played through every game. But this series has to be one of the most overrated game series of all time. It's pretty easy to see why.

Destiny- I tried Destiny, enjoyed the single player campaign, but hated the multiplayer. Just didn't like it.

Doom- The series is overrated. That's all I really have to say.

I could go on. For the most part, these are all games I enjoy. Some of them are some of my favorites, actually. But that doesn't change the fact that they're overrated.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@TheManofTin said:

To each their own, but I felt these games did not match my expectations or give me the same amount of enjoyment as most critics received:

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim- The scale of the sandbox was breathtaking and at first, I was engaged in the world and combat, but as time went on and that "wow" factor wore off, I found Skyrim to be a pretty boring, dense game. The story isn't interesting at all, there are no memorable or compelling characters, the quests feel copy and paste, the combat isn't very satisfying and the actual lore is completely generic. There really isn't anything that sets Skyrim apart from any other fantasy setting. Yes, the Elder Scroll has this grand, historical and detailed lore, but I feel like a lot of people confuse that for GOOD lore. Just because there are many fictional stories and books scattered through Skyrim that try to make the world feel more authentic, does not make it any more interesting. I really wanted to love this game, but to me, it's an alright game that can be fun at times. I really wish I liked it as much as everyone else seemed to.

Grand Theft Auto 4- Perhaps it was groundbreaking for its time, but age hasn't been kind to GTA 4, especially in the shadow of its successor, GTA 5. I liked the writing, the story, the setting of Liberty City, and I feel GTA 4 triumphs over GTA 5 in some aspects, but I do not feel GTA 4 qualifies to be one of the greatest games of all time. It's a fun sandbox game, but it can be a bit too grounded in reality at times, which is bizarre for a series as satirical and over the top as Grand Theft Auto. It's still an amazing game, but I think for its time, it seemed way more exciting and great than it really was.

I agree with these big time. I have many gripes with Skyrim and although I love the TES world and think they did a good job with the setting and improved the fluidity of combat substantially, it's also significantly more shallow and the worst of the recent 3 games in the series.

TheManofTin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#13 TheManofTin
Member since 2011 • 395 Posts

@xantufrog: Based on what I thought of Skyrim, do you think I should play through Morrowind or Oblivion? I have Morrowind, I just have not played it.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@TheManofTinr: Hm, that's a tough one.

I'll start by saying Morrowind is my favorite. It has a really "soulfull" world, exotic (if gray) locations, and the deepest lore and faction stuff. There are large factions with long quest lines that are pitched against one-another in some cases, and it's harder to just join them all and goof around - it really is more of a ROLE playing game. In general I think it has the most depth. It also has the richest (and most challenging) magic system, which is important to me because I love being a mage. There are so many spells, and it has a good spell creation system.

But its combat is rough. The game also (IMO) has kind of a slow burn - there isn't that much pressure to focus on the main conflict. Oblivion starts off with a bang, and is structured in a way that you are continually reminded about the main conflict and it encourages you to keep some focus even as you explore the world. Oblivion is more polished, and has much better combat than Morrowind (although the magic is a bit less involved). I think Morrowind is more old-school and harder to get into, and for this reason I'm inclined to recommend Oblivion first to the general populace. That being said, if you already own it, and not Oblivion... give Morrowind a go! There are some good mods to improve the quality of the visuals too if you don't like the dated (but effective) graphics.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@TheManofTin said:

@xantufrog: Based on what I thought of Skyrim, do you think I should play through Morrowind or Oblivion? I have Morrowind, I just have not played it.

Morrowind no contest. Oblivion is just a terrible game and needs a complete overhaul mod like Nehrim to make it tolerable.

I'd recommend Gothic 1 and 2 (Night of the Raven) and Dark Arisen as far as open world action RPGs go though.

skullhammer22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By skullhammer22
Member since 2016 • 23 Posts

Grand Theft Auto-serie. I think the games are quite ok but not that good. If the game is great you usually want to play it again and again although you have beat the game several times. Somehow GTA-games doesn´t give me that kind of feeling.

Nirogol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#17 Nirogol
Member since 2015 • 511 Posts

Definitely for me as a soccer fan, it's Fifa...it's the best selling sport game and so crap...

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#18 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Call of Dud series, post World at War.

Avatar image for deactivated-57bada6e13591
deactivated-57bada6e13591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-57bada6e13591
Member since 2016 • 26 Posts

Crash Bandicoot - really didn't like that one.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts

Never had that happen to me actually. Probably because I buy very few games at release. When I buy a game for a fraction of the release price later on, I become less critical. Frankly, I just don't care. I've enjoyed all games that I've bought. I generally know what I'll like and what I won't like before I buy something. Games really aren't that complex in that regard, if you ask me. I'm not really interested in setting off my enjoyment against the enjoyment of others.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

Halo and Gears of War series. Bored the crap out of me. Starcraft 2 is also very overrated.

heguain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 283

User Lists: 36

#22 heguain
Member since 2007 • 1433 Posts

Skyrim, Fallout 3, GTA SA, AC4. I enjoyed AC4 a lot though, started to get bored half way through because of repetition of side quests and ship sailing.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

Halo, Gears of War 3, Uncharted 1 and 3, all Total War games post Medieval II, Street Fighter series, especially IV and V which are the two most cynical games ever made and any GT post GT3.

PETERAKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PETERAKO
Member since 2007 • 2579 Posts

I have played CoD MW4 halo and gears of war. I think theyre overrated. Now heres the bomb. I dont think half life 2 is overrated.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 xantufrog  Moderator

@bussinrounds said:
@TheManofTin said:

Oblivion is just a terrible game and needs a complete overhaul mod like Nehrim to make it tolerable.

I'm curious why you say this? I haven't played Oblivion since it was a thing (i.e. the year post-launch) so my memory may be a bit faded but I have no recollection of it being unplayable in any way. Not that I disagree with your preference for Morrowind

pug987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 pug987
Member since 2005 • 460 Posts

All of the recent open world RPGs. I'm playing the Witcher 3 right now and although there are a great lot of things to love about it, as an open world game it utterly fails. Same thing with Dragon Age Inquisition and Skyrim (although Skyrim is mediocre all around). I miss games like Morrowind, Gothic 1 and Gothic 2: Night of the Raven that had really immersive worlds that you could get lost into and constantly discover new interesting things. Nowadays it is all "follow the points on the map".

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#27 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Starshine_M2A2 said:

Games that get positive reviews from most critics but that you haven't enjoyed yourself.

For me it was The Witcher 2 - I'm not saying it's a bad game but I didn't find it nearly as interesting as most people said it was.

Witcher 3 and Skyrim.

That setting does not speak to me in any way. and i feel that both games are highly overrated.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@xantufrog: It's not 'unplayable' and I shouldn't say it's ALL completely terrible, cause some of the dark brotherhood & shivering isles content isn't bad, but MAN...it's been well documented by now.

Beyond horrible systems where everything is scaled to your level. That alone taints the entire game and ruins in on so many levels.

Everyone knows about the weightless and unimpactful combat that was tedious, shallow and not satisfying from an action or RPG standpoint.

Dumbed down RPG mechanics and systems from Daggerfall & Morrowind (barley ever even looked at my stats pages)

Idiot compass killing the sense of exploration..

Linear & copy & pasted dungeons and areas with mind numbingly dull puzzles..

Awful dialog minigame..

Boring main quest & closing the oblivion gates was such a HUGE letdown..

All the lies from toddler & co. leading up to it. Seriously..play it, have a look at these, then have a nice laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjbx6-KQoRg

[Slateman] "Each of the faction lines in this game have plots and quests to much greater depth over MW. Quality, not quantity."

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "I know you don't want to hear it, but you're just going to have to trust us that the dialogue is better than Morrowind's."

[Todd] "As you play, you start to figure out what you can do with these NPCs, and how you can influence their behavior, and when doing a quest, it really comes into play. A simple 'get the diamond from that guy...' quest can be done in hundreds of ways now."

[VSXX] "We have everything from mice to moles to crickets. The most fearsome you have ever seen even! You thought sleeping at night with a singing cricket outside your window was bad. You wait till you meet the one that plays a 14 piece drum set outside your window."

[Pete] "Honestly, and this is just my opinion, I think the hardcore RPG guys are going to love what we have in store for them in Oblivion. The depth, the level of polish...it crushes Morrowind. That doesn't mean that other people won't want to buy it and play it because it's a beautiful game that has fun combat and cool quests. We'll make enough copies for everyone."

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "You'll be reading LOTS of stuff. All of the quest lines are much more in depth, challenging and interesting. And there's a heck of a lot more to the game than just the guilds and the main quest. Lots and lots of other things to do that haven't been mentioned. Stats play a huge, huge role. Class actually has meaning this time. The game is better balanced. You have more rewards for advancement besides just getting better at things. The dungeons are better designed, the NPCs are more interesting, the dialogue is better written.

If you think this is a simple, dumbed down hack & slash, you couldn't be more wrong."

[BlueDev] "For Oblivion, there's a very concious effort to avoid too much random information spewing by NPCs. Fear not--there's still the same amount of info to be found in the game. In fact, the NPCs probably have more than ever to say; it just makes more sense for them to say it."

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "Oblivion is infinitely superior to Morrowind in every conceivable way."

[MattRyan] "So for all of you thinking that it would be neat to steal something, and then take off on your horse....guess what? An NPC can do the same dirty trick to you as well. "

[Todd] "The clothing you wear does affect certain NPC's, but not in a big way, it’s subtle."

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "Broken shields and weapons are automatically dropped and they clatter to the ground using Havok physics. Broken armor stays on, but is ineffective and you'll know if you're wearing broken armor or not."

[Slateman] "While I cannot go into detail, rest assured that even players who max out a bunch of skills will discover challenges in this game. We didn't leave you guys out "

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "Just because you can attempt to bribe someone does not mean they'll automatically accept it."

[MattRyan] "We are gamers. We have given tons of time toward the balance of gameplay. Asside from the designers, artists, programmers, and producers.... our staff of QA testers are extremely good at exploiting our game systems and looking for loopholes in gameplay, or shortfalls in fun vs. realism.

In conclusion, to completely cut out any adjustment to difficulty in enemies would not be fun, just as making all creatures off-set to your level would not be fun."

[Slateman] "Yep. To second MSFD, we don't auto-level exactly to your level. We have all sorts of adjustments available. If we didn't the game would be boring "

[MattRyan] "If everything was leveled then you'd have no fear of anything in the game ('I can beat everything!') We plan on scaring the heck out of the player by higher level creatures."

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "You're walking through a seedy part of a town in Western Cyrodiil. People mill about, some engaged in conversation, others minding their own business, out on their own errands. Suddenly, an ugly man decides he doesn't like you. Maybe he's drunk, maybe he's just a bully, maybe he's just showing off in front of his friends -- but for whatever reason, he has taken your measure and decided he can best you.

He comes charging at you, with a nasty looking mace in his hand and a look of hatred on his face. Onlookers move back to make room for what should be an entertaining fight.

Quickly drawing your sword and shield, you wheel around to face him. He's upon you pretty quickly though, and you barely have time to raise your shield (hold right mouse button) before his first blow thunders down upon you.

But you block well, and as he recoils from the collision, you quickly perform left & right slashes with your sword (left click, pause, left click). The bully realizes this isn't going to be easy.

He backs off a bit, and starts dodging around you. First to the left, then to the right. You maneuver to keep him in view, looking for an opening. Suddenly he steps back, raises his mace in both hands, and steps forward, bringing the mace towards your head in a crushing blow!

But you're quick -- you step to the side as he attacks. As he passes by, you execute a spinning maneuver and slash him in the side (hold left mouse button and left maneuver key). The hit is solid, and your foe staggers from the blow.

But it's not over yet. The bully swings his mace wildly -- his first swing misses, but the next one connects for a blow that sends you staggering. Pressing his advantage, the bully bears down on you with a power attack of his own. OUCH. This isn't going well. You take a glance at your health meter, it's getting a bit low. You quickly back up out of the bully's reach and raise your shield (hold right mouse button).

He's hurting, too. You circle each other for a time, looking for an opening, trying to recover some fatigue. Finally the bully charges forward with a devastating overhead blow, perhaps hoping to break your shield. But the shield holds and the recoil send him staggering back. This is your chance! You perform a mighty forward power attack (hold the left mouse button, press forward) and connect solidly. The blow staggers your foe once again, and you perform 3 slashing attacks in rapid succession (left mouse button, pause, left mouse button, pause, left mouse button), and finally the bully collapses to the ground, defeated.

The crowd disperses, going back to their own business."

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "We happen to think that console gamers are smarter than that, and the success of Morrowind on Xbox proves that console gamers actually ARE interested in games with MORE depth and complexity than some people seem to think they are."

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "I absolutely guarantee that they'll be able to make mods that will completely blow away anything we saw for Morrowind, using the new Construction Set."

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "You can only use the map-based fast travel to go to places you've already been. So you'll HAVE to walk to each possible location AT LEAST once."

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "We could make traditional creatures that looked like every other depiction of those creatures you've seen in books, movies, or other games, but then where's the originality in that?"

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "NPCs would have to be told to go into your house via Radiant AI. And even if they WERE, you could always lock your door..."

[Slateman] "Trust me, you're going to get lost if you wander in these forests and don't use the compass or map."

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "you can enter every interior."

[Pete] "There isn't a magazine on the planet that hasn't gotten information if they've asked for it."

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "Resurrected NPCs are not themselves. They're basically mindless automata who will follow you around and fight for you."

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "Oblivion is an extremely rich, complex game with a tremendous amount of depth, compelling quest lines, interesting NPC characters, a huge variety of player character types and intricate character progression set in a huge, varied game world. Combat, magic, and AI have all been dramatically improved to enhance gameplay while still providing a balance between player skill and character skill, because after all, Oblivion is a role playing game. Yes, some things that were present in Morrowind are not in Oblivion -- but a lot more has been added than removed, and the goal has always been to make a game that is both more accessible to first-time RPG players, and is also challenging and rewarding for more experienced players."

[Pete] "We will continue to support the mod community as best we can and let them do the great things they do, just as we did with Morrowind."

[Sentinel] "The sad fact is that many development studios can't afford to bankroll their own game development. So they rely on publishers to give them the money to create these games. The problem with this is that the publisher then feels they should have input into the game since they are spending the money. Hence Atari and EA have such a big influence on a game they publish.

Just glad here at Bethesda we are our own publisher and developer and have free reign to make what we want."

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "We're NOT going to slap in features that don't work well just to say we have them."

[Pete] "Holidays this year"

[Pete] "You know if you have a 360 it will look as good as it can possibly look. If you have the latest, greatest PC with the best video card, etc., it will probably look the same as the Xbox 360 version."

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "The compass, the quest marker and compass icons, are NOT the hand-holding, dumbing down babysitter some folks paint them out to be."

Game is truly a symbol of the great RPG 'decline' of the 2000s.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@bussinrounds: I have played it from start to finish - I hated the leveling monsters but enjoyed it a fair bit as a game. I'd agree it was sort of a Herald for the new generation of "rpg-light" that everyone's drinking.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Most recently, GTA V. It's by no means a bad game, but I don't think it's anywhere near as good as people/reviewers made it out to be. San Andreas was waaaay better IMO.

Dunoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Dunoid
Member since 2016 • 72 Posts

Bioshock Infinite. Compared to the first Bioshock, its gameplay is tedious, and the story is so opaque that it can't be appreciated without analyzing every needlessly cryptic audio log and every extraneous detail, but the game is throwing so many enemies at you and pushing you down its linear path so quickly that there's no time to actually explore. I could go on a far, far longer rant about everything I don't like about the game, but I don't think that'd be constructive.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10416 Posts
@hrt_rulz01 said:

Most recently, GTA V. It's by no means a bad game, but I don't think it's anywhere near as good as people/reviewers made it out to be. San Andreas was waaaay better IMO.

haha i feel the opposite. to me san andreas is the overrated one. the first part of the game when you're in the hood was incredible. the 90s gangsta rap theme was brilliant and rivalled the 80s scarface and similar theme that vice city captured so perfectly. re-establishing your gang, "putting in work" and all those early missions were superb leading up to the cliffhanger crescendo when you find big smoke and ryder have betrayed you with the rival balla gang and your brother gets arrested and sent to jail... brilliant.

but then it falls off a cliff faster than wile e coyote in one of those roadrunner cartoons. next thing you know instead of working on a plan to bust your brother out of jail or getting revenge on your former gang mates / the ballas / the police like you'd expect at that point in the story, you end up teaming up with the most obnoxious latino woman the world has ever seen (what a god awful character she was) to pull off dull small time bank heists / robberies in tiny towns miles away, upping sticks and moving to a different city with a weed smoking hippie to open a mechanics shop and doing completely random things like racing a blind japanese dude across the countryside and chasing hillbillies on their farm in a combine harvester.

all the gangsta atmosphere and momentum of the first series of missions evaporates, the story is stretched wafer thin to cram in as much secondary side mission stuff as is humanly possible and the game turns into a tedious and laborious driving game full of filler missions and forgettable characters. it's the very definition of jack of all trades master of none. it was really disappointing after the amazing opening series of missions, in my opinion of course, most people adore it, but it just didn't connect with me in the same way the other gta games have

JohnDik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JohnDik
Member since 2016 • 7 Posts

Definitely metro last light, it was okay but many people overrate the game

Ryan78134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 Ryan78134
Member since 2014 • 218 Posts
@dunoid said:

Bioshock Infinite. Compared to the first Bioshock, its gameplay is tedious, and the story is so opaque that it can't be appreciated without analyzing every needlessly cryptic audio log and every extraneous detail, but the game is throwing so many enemies at you and pushing you down its linear path so quickly that there's no time to actually explore. I could go on a far, far longer rant about everything I don't like about the game, but I don't think that'd be constructive.

As a really big fan of the original Bioshock, playing Bioshock Infinite was a really big let down. What was harder was reading all the praise from reviews/gamers about how it's one of the best games ever. Okay, the stories pretty good.. but the gameplay was AWFUL.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@Macutchi said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

haha i feel the opposite. to me san andreas is the overrated one. the first part of the game when you're in the hood was incredible. the 90s gangsta rap theme was brilliant and rivalled the 80s scarface and similar theme that vice city captured so perfectly. re-establishing your gang, "putting in work" and all those early missions were superb leading up to the cliffhanger crescendo when you find big smoke and ryder have betrayed you with the rival balla gang and your brother gets arrested and sent to jail... brilliant.

but then it falls off a cliff faster than wile e coyote in one of those roadrunner cartoons. next thing you know instead of working on a plan to bust your brother out of jail or getting revenge on your former gang mates / the ballas / the police like you'd expect at that point in the story, you end up teaming up with the most obnoxious latino woman the world has ever seen (what a god awful character she was) to pull off dull small time bank heists / robberies in tiny towns miles away, upping sticks and moving to a different city with a weed smoking hippie to open a mechanics shop and doing completely random things like racing a blind japanese dude across the countryside and chasing hillbillies on their farm in a combine harvester.

all the gangsta atmosphere and momentum of the first series of missions evaporates, the story is stretched wafer thin to cram in as much secondary side mission stuff as is humanly possible and the game turns into a tedious and laborious driving game full of filler missions and forgettable characters. it's the very definition of jack of all trades master of none. it was really disappointing after the amazing opening series of missions, in my opinion of course, most people adore it, but it just didn't connect with me in the same way the other gta games have

I can see where you're coming from, but I still disagree. I found San Andreas's story and characters a lot more interesting than GTA V (and IV).

immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#36 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

I'll get hated on hardcore for this but Heavy Rain and Last of Us. Now I really enjoy Last of Us, I think it's a great game but it wasn't "oh my God, best game of generation" like so many claim. And Heavy Rain just wasn't what it was hyped to be. A couple others are GTA 4 (by far my least favourite) and Red Dead Redemption.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Call of Duty and Halo series.

Ryan78134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 Ryan78134
Member since 2014 • 218 Posts

@immortality20: I was like yes, yes yes, NOOOOOOOOOO regarding your comment. Red Dead Redemption was one of the games of the last generation, and the Undead Nightmare DLC for it was fantastic. HOW DARE YOU BREAK MY HEART LIKE THIS.

immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#39 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

@ryan78134 said:

@immortality20: I was like yes, yes yes, NOOOOOOOOOO regarding your comment. Red Dead Redemption was one of the games of the last generation, and the Undead Nightmare DLC for it was fantastic. HOW DARE YOU BREAK MY HEART LIKE THIS.

Yeah I did hear great things about the DLC, I should really make myself finish the game before I put it on the list.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#40 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

destiny

gta 5

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

I guess the Elder Scrolls games. Their stories never grabbed me and the combat was shallow to me. I got into the Witcher series instead.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Starshine_M2A2

@blangenakker said:

I guess the Elder Scrolls games. Their stories never grabbed me and the combat was shallow to me. I got into the Witcher series instead.

Really? I actually felt the opposite.

Nirogol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#43 Nirogol
Member since 2015 • 511 Posts

GTA V...found myself barely touching it before it's gone from my console for good.

Avatar image for mickyassassin94
Mickyassassin94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Mickyassassin94
Member since 2016 • 10 Posts

Metal gear solid 5 I found extremely overrated. Yes the graphics are gorgeous and the stealth mechanics are engaging, however with no plot or character development the newest metal gear quickly becomes repetitive. Fun to play for the first few hours, but for all the praise I was aching to try out some other titles while playing this game. I was excited to play this, since I loved metal gear solid 4 (even though some cutscenes were too long it provided some epic moments which meshed well with the gameplay)

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

I'll raise you one better. Call of Doody, post 2 (and there are arguments for post-United Offensive as well).

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

every Rockstar game except for Max Payne 3

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

I think most AAA open world games that all use the same mechanics are pretty overhyped. Witcher sense, Detective mode, AC etc.. Similar traversal and design etc. The amount of hype with these games is a bit absurd to me. Great graphics with the budgets these games have does not impress me that much. I like open world but throwing extra stuff around the map like Ubisoft does is not a game or game design either. It's more just fluff and added content to make it seem like more of a game than it actually is so they can market it that way.. Filling games with cutscenes and dialogue is pretty much the same. Pretty soon games are going to be all the same. There are still different genres like shooters and racing games but even that is dying. Also think Indie titles and the artsy ones are overhyped. Some are better than others but there really isn't that great a selection.

TMNT is coming out. That seems to go back to some roots of trying to do different things as far as design . It's not the end all be all either but at least it's designed around the characters and has more that arcade feel. I don't know how good it will be but at least its different. you just don't see that in general nowadays 2 guys that come up with something new and different mainly due to these big budget publishers hogging all the sales.. TMNT sold out in the 90's etc but I don't think they were ever that popular where they are at least trying something different. Have enough money and budget to do that. Platinum games is a smaller developer but does some pretty good things sometimes. Double Fine is another publisher that has some issues staying relevant but comes up with good unique stuff sometimes.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10416 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

I'll raise you one better. Call of Doody, post 2 (and there are arguments for post-United Offensive as well).

such as?

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#50  Edited By deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

@RSM-HQ: It's actually not generic. It has some of the best shooter mechanics in all of gaming. The problem is that when it launched it had a very generic story, which offered some pretty bad voice acting and not a lot of end game. With the expansions it has definitely turned itself around to be one of the top online shooters in the world.

Anyways, all of the Call of Duty games with the exception of Modern Warfare (which is getting an HD remaster!) were very overrated. Weak campaigns and even though the multiplayer was good, all of the new games failed to recapture the magic that Modern Warfare had. They literally kept getting worse and worse and worse.