Games you weren't sure you'd like, but ended up enjoying a lot?

CrossFire245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 CrossFire245
Member since 2007 • 1085 Posts

Title says it all. Which games were you hesitant about buying because you weren't sure you'd like the game, but that you ended up loving?

A few of mine:

• Fire Emblem Three Houses - I was turned off by the art style and the JRPG vibes I got from it. However, I now have 200+ hours in it, so it clearly struck a good tone with me.
  • Resident Evil 2 and 3 Remakes - I'm pretty bad with horror games. Most of the ones I try, I end up dropping. However, I've beat both of these games (RE2 multiple times).
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58929 Posts

Trackmania for sure.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#4 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Recently, among us.

AhReQueNoMori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#5 AhReQueNoMori
Member since 2020 • 937 Posts

Genshin Impact. The gacha system is cancer itself, but the game is really fun.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

God of War (2018) I didn't like the new point of view or the kid, or the axe. Avoided the game until I got it pretty cheap on black Friday (2019), gave it a shot and after about an hour of adjusting to the new gameplay I was hooked. It ended up being possibly my favorite game last gen (still have a few big hitters to play through).

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Mirror's Edge picked it up on a Steam Spring sale all the way back in 09 it looked cool but wasn't sure if I would like it but it turned out to be one of my favorite games of all time.

Kage1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Kage1
Member since 2003 • 6806 Posts

Skyrim

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

Well I don't typically buy or play games I would dislike. With that stated 2020 was a year in which I tried giving those spongy poorly designed openworld games a second chance. . . Didn't go well, I disliked them all.

So going back further to 2018/19; probably Dishonored, really enjoyed it. And was recommended on this very forum.

The sequel wasn't quite as fun but was surprised how much joy I found with these games. A lot of options, strategy, and clever level design.

Originally wrote them off as Skyrim knockoffs due to the games advertising_

Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#10 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

Fallout 76. Avoided it for a year due to negative reviews. Got into it last year & realized it wasn’t that bad.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#11 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I think there’s been many over the years that I could just class as an impulsive purchase and ended up enjoying.

Maybe one that comes to mind is Heavy Rain. From hearing about it at first, I didn’t think I’d like the interactive gameplay. But, upon playing it, great stuff. Definitely haven’t experienced much else like it.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

Heavy Metal: Geomatrix on the Dreamcast. It was built in the same engine as Capcom's Spawn arcade game. That game was just okay, and HM was less ambitious and based on a less interesting licence. Ended up getting it because it was cheap, and there weren't a lot of new releases left in the DC's run. Turned out the smaller arenas and fewer enemies fixed most of the problems Spawn had, namely an unwieldy camera and haphazard level layouts. Turned out to be one of my favorite Dreamcast games.

Grandia 2 for Dreamcast. I tried to get into Final Fantasy 7 and 8, and just did not enjoy the battle systems. Turn based combat felt like trying to pass off menu navigation as gameplay. But a friend let me borrow Grandia because he felt it was just that good and I had to try it. Turned out he was right. Grandia's battle system is unique and almost plays more like a tactics game than straight jrpg. Speaking of...

Advance Wars. Gave this a shot because it reviewed so well and I saw it cheap. This game made me realize that I actually do like turn based combat as long as I have enough control over placement.

Forza Motorsport. The PS1 Gran Tourismos turned me off to sims for a whole generation, so I never gave Microsoft's "GT killer" the time of day. Wasn't until I was at a friend's house, and they really wanted to play their new game, I think it was Forza 3 but may have been 4. Having little experience with "realistic" racing games, I sucked. But the handling felt good, and I had fun. It wasn't really trying to be a sim, just a good driving game. I didn't own an Xbox, so I couldn't get the game myself at the time, but because of Forza I decided to give games like Dirt and Grid a chance. Still more of an arcade guy, simcade is fun too.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

Monster hunter for me. On paper i should hate it. i hate time limits. the controls and weapons initially seemed awkward. it was just boss fights.....generally im not big into boss fights. i also hate grinding in games.

but its one of those series everyone should give a shot at least: like persona or animal crossing. so i gave it a go with tri on the wii.

i frickin love it. after the initial hump the combat is fun. the monsters are fun to fight so the grind isnt really a problem. there is a weapon for everyone. it doesnt take itself too seriously (i killed a monster with a plunger :P). its just good craic.

samengland6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 samengland6
Member since 2021 • 1 Posts

I'll be honest Fifa was kinda fun for a while, I never bothered trying to get the UltIMatE team but was just a fun game.

I found this guy really boosted my skills http://movincle.com/15GM

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

Rocket League. Looked like a kiddie game to me. Maybe it is. It makes me laugh though, so it's all good.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7231 Posts

Yazuka I was very unsure until I picked up a ps4 this past gen ended up being one of my fav series.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#18 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Yakuza 0 - it was the first one I played and I’m not usually a fan of long, meandering stories. But the acting and writing was so well done that I ended up really liking it!

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#19 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

Recently it's Resident Evil 7 at first I thought it would be just a standard FPS horror clone but with less jump scares and more action. After finishing the game last week including the DLC fell in love with the game and the survival around it

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

Recently I'd say that Among Us grew on me the most... at first I took it too seriously, but after I slowed down and just enjoyed the silliness of the game with my family it's a lot of fun. We play it almost every night, along with other board games. If anyone else knows any games we can play on our tablets (that 4 of us can play together against others) I'm all ears.

Unfortunately I've been on more of a thinking I'll like a game and not liking it though... Hopefully that will turn around soon. There are so many games I am looking forward to in the future and right now it seems like there has been an unusually long dry spell.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

I don't have any. Probably because I'm good at knowing what I want. I've bought some games that I was hesitant about that I regret buying though.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

This past gen: Witcher 3, Persona 5, GoW, and Spider-Man. SoR4 also, since it wasn't exactly what I wanted, but it ended up being a worthy entry.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@CrossFire245 said:

Title says it all. Which games were you hesitant about buying because you weren't sure you'd like the game, but that you ended up loving?

A few of mine:

• Fire Emblem Three Houses - I was turned off by the art style and the JRPG vibes I got from it. However, I now have 200+ hours in it, so it clearly struck a good tone with me.

Yeah agree with Fire Emblem... I wasn't planning on buying it at all, but was desperate for something new and just went for it. And I absolutely loved it.

Another was Katana Zero. Again, not usually my kind of game but I just went for it. And I adored it. I have since replayed it numerous times and is honestly one of my favourite games from the past few years.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Days Gone and Dead Space. I wouldn't have bothered with Days Gone if it weren't for the PS Plus Collection.

PETERAKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PETERAKO
Member since 2007 • 2579 Posts

@CrossFire245:

tekken 3. When we rented it back in the day I though that it would be meh. I was not big in fighting games(still I am not), but something drew me.

Another one is ratchet and clank. I asked my brother to bring back Ace combat 4 from the video club and he instead brought back ratchet and clank 2. I was pissed, but then I just decided to play. Let's just say I was hooked.

francisbaud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 francisbaud
Member since 2016 • 13 Posts

If I remember correctly I didn't have much expectations for Guild Wars and it turned out being my favorite game of all time: great gameplay, thrilling PvP arenas, cool quest line and the art style is lovely.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

Persona 5.

TatyG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TatyG
Member since 2021 • 2 Posts

Subnautica. At first look, I was like wtf is that, I need to swim and catch fish? Ok, what's so cool about it? And then I understood HOW cool is that

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

Nier Automata

BigCat2K20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#33 BigCat2K20
Member since 2004 • 426 Posts

Days Gone (looked like Uncharted/The Last Of Us clone type of video game. Plus, I'm not big on zombie video games for it's tiresome & alot of them. But, it surprised me & waiting to see what happens next). Dragon Age 2 went from meh to surprising good game.

steven08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 steven08
Member since 2021 • 5 Posts

Played this game over Parties with my friends, not bad! Archwar Heroes and Demons.

MK245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MK245
Member since 2012 • 127 Posts

It's rare that I like a game that I start playing games that I am not sure I will like. The last time that happened was many years ago: Knights of the Old Republic - because I don't usually care for Star Wars all that much.