Games you never thought you'd like

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamnerd95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gamnerd95
Member since 2011 • 41 Posts

Ever walked into the game shop and thought 'nah i wouldn't like that game' and turns out to be an amazing game.I bought mass effect 1 simply because their was no other decent looking game in the shop and it wouldn't usually be my thing but i loved it! now im hooked on the mass effect series

Geosisnl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Geosisnl
Member since 2009 • 143 Posts

Yes I have it in general with RTS games. Usually if it's an RTS game I'll pass... Well not too long ago after having played way too many hours of Mount and Blade Warband I decided to try out a popular RTS game like the Total War Series... after that I basically had a short period of RTS addiction haha, played civilization 4/5, Galactic Civilizations and Medieval 2 total war/ Shogun 2 and loved every minute of it. Just one more turn...

Moha3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Moha3000
Member since 2009 • 106 Posts

Plants vs Zombies!! From its name i thought it would the LAMEST game i'll ever play... but the game is awesome ,even in hardcore standards.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Terraria, i could have never imagined how different it is from Minecraft.

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#5 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

Terraria, i could have never imagined how different it is from Minecraft.

Lucianu

Terraria for me as well, I didn't think I would honestly play the game for longer than 10 hours... and well lets just say I've logged way more than 10 hours into that game.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts
By definition, games I "never" thought I'd like would be games that I didn't bother buying and playing. If you mean games I thought it would be UNLIKELY that I'd like, the most relevant one is Persona 3. Normally I very much dislike anime, but I was bored and desperate for a new RPG and had heard good things. Picked it up and loved the hell out of that game.
Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#7 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

I'm not into racing games, but enjoyed most of Dirt 2

doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 30

#8 doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts
Halo 2, I honestly didn't want to play it, then a friend brought it home so we can play co op and well...it was that good
redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

borderlands i thought it was some stupid shooter til i looked into it and rented it on gamefly and i kept it

halo 3 i played a tiny part of it and i thought it was stupid and then when i got live i had to try it again then 7000 games later it was one of my favorite games

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#10 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

Also mass effect for me :). I need to buy the second one if it is also that good (even better).

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23998 Posts

Mount and Blade, first I thought it would be very meh. I was so wrong, and now I have put over 500 hours into Warband.

Vyse_Legends

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Vyse_Legends
Member since 2007 • 9387 Posts

Battlefield: Bad Company

I'm not really big on the FPS genre but damn did that game love blowing stuff up...and Truckasauros.:P

Avatar image for FoolwithaLancer
FoolwithaLancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FoolwithaLancer
Member since 2011 • 2020 Posts
Forza 3, I dislike The whole Racing genre before I got this game. Loved it.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#14 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
well, i dont buy games that i dont think ill like. however, im surprised i like the original baten kaitos as much as i do. generally speaking, i dont like card battling, fixed camera angles, or fast travel over actual exploration, but baten kaitos turned all of those elements into positives.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#15 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
Thats a tough one as I dont typically buy stuff I know I wouldnt like.
CUDGEdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 CUDGEdave
Member since 2010 • 2597 Posts

I rented Captain America and thought bah! this will be a duffer!..But I quite enjoyed it! :shock:

gamnerd95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gamnerd95
Member since 2011 • 41 Posts

Yes mate mass effect 2 is a fantastic game you should get it

chicknfeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#18 chicknfeet
Member since 2004 • 15630 Posts

borderlands i thought it was some stupid shooter til i looked into it and rented it on gamefly and i kept it

redskins26rocs
I had the same thought for Borderlands because i typically don't like FPS games, but i have actually logged about 200 hours into that game to date. It turned out to be a lot more fun that i anticipated.
commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

League of Legends, God of War (the series) and Heavy Rain.

I was happily surprised with how amazing those games turned out to be.

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

Shadows of the Damned I knew I would just like it but I ended up loving it!

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#21 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

I heard a lot of excellent praise about Forza 3, but wasn't sure if I'd like it and passed it off as another racer, but the more convincing I got from a few friends about it, the more it finally got me to cave in and buy it. When I had a lot of hands-on time with it, I was a believer. Forza 3 is an amazing racing game and I'm sure that Forza 4 will surpass it!

Fuu_Moo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Fuu_Moo
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Borderlands. I thought because of the cartoonish graphics it wouldn't be a good shooter of RPG. But I ended up playing it about 3 hours a day for 2 weeks
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44687 Posts
Dante's Inferno and Lost Planet 2, I was originally looking forward to both but didn't get them upon release due to disappointing reviews, though as time went on I was running out of new things to try, picked them up anyways and thoroughly enjoyed both of them.
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
well I thought crysis looked a bland shooter. Especially since I hated far cry 2. But I just played the demo and thought it was awsome.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
RPGs, but then i got the Witcher and i loved it!
kakha_96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 kakha_96
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Fable 3. I don't know why but i never thought I'd like it, there weren't many choices in the shop so i bought. Now i really like it and hope that they'll soon announce about fable 4

ArchonOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#27 ArchonOver
Member since 2010 • 1103 Posts

I was surprised by God of War. I thought it was another overhyped series, but it actually turned out to be quite amazing.

X-The-Doctor-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 X-The-Doctor-X
Member since 2010 • 1268 Posts

BioShock- I thought, Ugh a stupid game that takes place underwater that has you play as a stupid diver with a drill for a hand. Boy was I totally wrong. I've only played half of it so far but it's a great game.

Little Big Planet- I thought it was a stupid childish game. Played it and it is the one game where I can exercise my creativity to the fullest. Great game

LA Noire-I bought it because I thought it'd be kind of interesting. Yeah it doesn't have much replayability but it is still good.

imetamonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 imetamonster
Member since 2008 • 793 Posts

well................

Uh.....

..............Bikini samurai squad.........................

yea....

alext_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 alext_b
Member since 2006 • 3373 Posts
Thief: Deadly Shadows I expected it to be a stupid action/adventure game. But it totally sucked me into the stealth genre. And I loved the plot twist.
Duck_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 Duck_Zero
Member since 2007 • 57 Posts

Just like most of the people on here has said, I don't normally buy games I don't think I'll like. But I recently bought The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, and it totally took me by surprise! I remember my older brother played it, when he was little, and I remember hearing about it alot; I mean, it's a classic, no doubt. But I was never really that interested in point-and-click/adventure games. I would always get stuck, and wouldn't know what to do next, so I'd just give up.

However, Monkey Island: Special Edition has a great hint system, that makes the game a lot easier, or at least it's harder to get stuck. So, yeah, that game's great :D

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Zevvion
Member since 2009 • 454 Posts

When I was a kid, about 12 or so I'd say. I already had been playing games for 6 years. But I never thought I would ever like a serious RPG. Thought it was for nerds :P

Well, currently playing The Witcher and replaying Fallout 3 again. Also put over 200 hours into Final Fantasy X (which is a very traditional RPG even). Also looking forward to Skyrim, The Witcher 2 and Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

LapisLazuliOre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LapisLazuliOre
Member since 2011 • 94 Posts

Mortal Kombat 9. I was never good at fighting games in general but I picked up a copy because my friends on xbox sounded like they were having a great time playing king of the hill. I hated the game at the beginning because I accidentaly played through the campaign on hard at first which made me rage. I never got past scorpion and quan chi until a few weeks ago. Now I love them game because you feel like a boss when you pull of a 49% damage combo with ermac, that is until they patched it anyways...

Pineur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Pineur
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
This happened to me with Gothic game. This game was offered to me after I had completed the 3rd instalment (Gothic 3). But I must say that despite the first instalment is much older, it is also more fun in many ways than the new instalments of this game series.
hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22415 Posts
I didn't think I'd like Team Fortress 2, since I'm not a fan of online games, but I love it. Also Viva Pinata comes to mind, I was surprised I liked it so much.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Uncharted 2. I thought the first game was pretty bland and a write off rental type game, but the sequel.... its pretty much perfect.
ZenesisX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#37 ZenesisX
Member since 2008 • 1651 Posts

Uncharted 2. I thought the first game was pretty bland and a write off rental type game, but the sequel.... its pretty much perfect.GodModeEnabled
This, I really did not like the first one at all. I was extremely hesitant to even bother with the second one. I only picked up the second because I enjoyed the beta. I had no idea how amazing the single player was going to be. Definitely one of my favorites of this gen.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#38 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Demon's Souls, most of my games are bought after serious thought. So there's rarely a game that I have mixed feelings about.

-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
i never thought i would like WoW, brother had the trial and let me check it out, and i loved it, glad i got over it tho that game is such a chore
wolverine_97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 wolverine_97
Member since 2007 • 613 Posts
KOTOR
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

Tales of the Abyss. I didn't think I'd like the anime aspect of it, but it turns out that's what made the game so appealing the more I played it.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Magicka, I didn't like it but it turned out to be pretty fun

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#43 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

At the time of its release I never thought that I'd like Zelda OOT. Yes that's right, we all make mistakes.

It was the first Zelda that I had ever heard of (no internet) and I had never played a game like it, so judging by screenshots I thought it looked kind of childish cause of the fairies and stuff (and I was still a pretty little kid at the time). I really didn't know what to make of it and it was the first game I personally rented (I never did that before) instead of asking mom or dad, or buying it from the money I had saved.
1. because I really didn't trust that this game could be good, and
2. because I didn't want to be seen with it.

Actually I think that was my first Nintendo game overall, and after playing it I immediately ran to the stores to buy it, and became a huge Nintendo fan.
This game and the N64 opened the doors for me to Mario games, Metroid games, Banjo Kazooie, Lylat Wars, Goldeneye, and so many other games that up to today are my most beloved games ever released.
Before Zelda OOT I was primarily a PC/Megadrive II/Commodore 64 gamer and a bit of a SEGA fan cause of Sonic (which was my first ever colour game).

If it wasn't for a beaming 100 score in my favorite (holy) gaming magazine, and a person from school who couldn't stop talking about it while drawing figures on my back, I probably wouldn't have ever given it a chance.