Games you just couldnt QUITE give a 10...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

I love to rate games that I play and sometimes it is really hard to differentiate between two scores. What games have you swayed back and forth on between a 9.5 and a 10? for me I am still swaying back and forth on:

Metroid Prime

Resident Evil 4

Majoras Mask

LankyKong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 LankyKong
Member since 2011 • 2678 Posts

Bioshock, P4, Majora's Mask, Super Mario 64, Smash Bros 64.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#3 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14420 Posts

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#4 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

For real? RE4 and Metroid Prime were two of the easiest titles for me to award a 10. They are literally perfect. For me I suppose the Diablo games. On second thought, why in the hell didn't I award those 10s? Hmm... may have to look into that.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NaveedLife

For real? RE4 and Metroid Prime were two of the easiest titles for me to award a 10. They are literally perfect. For me I suppose the Diablo games. On second thought, why in the hell didn't I award those 10s? Hmm... may have to look into that.

Master_ShakeXXX

RE4 I think deserves it, although I REALLY try not to hand them out too often. I try and treat a 10 as somethign very special. I am strongly considering giving it a 10 though, I remember renting it like 5 times in a row (I buy games only now) lmao! Metroid Prime to me was SO close, but I am not sure I can give it a 10 due to the ending being ok, and the fact that Metroid Prime 2 showed that the game could have had even better puzzles and more challenge. It is so close though.

As for Diablo, I didnt give 1 a 10 because it is just too shallow when compared to 2. The game has phenomenal presentation and such, but really lacks depth and replayability. Diablo II however is a game where I broke the rules I set, and gave it a 10 anyway, even though it does have some small issues. The game is just too frikkin awesome and has been the game I put the most hours into ever.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Uncharted 2 - As great as it was, there is still something missing from reaching it the epic status of a masterpiece like MGS4, Mass Effect or MGS3. I know the story is supposed to be just a summer blockbuster but the stakes have to be higher.

God Of War 3 - Mindblowing, jaw dropping, best combat of the series, but the story just wasn't there. The source material they were dealing with could've made for some incredible story scenes but in the end, it was just kratos killing one god after another. nothing more.

Assassin's Creed 2 - Here the story was upto the task, the graphics, the depth and variety in gameplay. best gaming soundtrack of all time. the only thing keeping it from being a 10 is the framerate and a tedious combat engine. AC: Brotherhood's combat would've made this a ten.

Half Life 2 -Would've liked Gordon talking and interacting with characters in a more deeper way, and hoped for a better ending and final mission. They were both pretty s***. But it's still my favorite shooter of all time, simply perfect.

Shadow of the Colossus - Framerate. That's it. Otherwise this game is one of the greatest games ever made. I have never been that blown away by an ending. Especially after i was pissed off at little to no story or plot developments during the game, but when the ending came, i realized how invested I had become in my horse, in my quest to save my wife, and how I had lost the sight of the bigger picture. Simply masterful.

MGS3 - Snake Eater - That flipping camera. I couldnt see anything infront of me without going into the FPS view. Other than that, it's a masterpiece. Subsistence is a 10 in my book. Perfect game.

Mass Effect 2 - If the story wasn't so straight forward, this would be an easy ten. Basically ME1 story with ME2 gameplay and characters is a 10.

Mass Effect 1 - If I could give this game a ten just for story and soundtrack I would. It's simply badass. sadly the framerate was so chuggy it drove me nuts.

Gears 1 & 2 - If they spent a little more time talking about the backstory, then I would have no qualms giving them both a ten. The on-rail sections in 2 were kinda boring and I love on-rail sections in games. I also didnt care for the clunky online mechanics.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NaveedLife

Uncharted 2 - As great as it was, there is still something missing from reaching it the epic status of a masterpiece like MGS4, Mass Effect or MGS3. I know the story is supposed to be just a summer blockbuster but the stakes have to be higher.

S0lidSnake

I gave it a 10 :P. Maybe I am being too leniant, but honeslty I think the game is just mind blowingly amazing.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

Assassin's Creed II is the first game I thought of when entering this thread. It was amazing, an enthralling experience that takes you all throughout Italy. The environments were beautiful, and the story particularly Ezio's was very solid. The gameplay perfect, and it improved in so many areas on the first. From the characters you meet, to the upgraded weapons, to the game's economy, however the one thing holding it back was the slight tedium of the side tasks. Other than that truly a marvelous game.

Tuky06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Tuky06
Member since 2007 • 5026 Posts
Red Dead Redemption, it has too many bugs.
andalore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 andalore
Member since 2007 • 2644 Posts

Assassins Creed Brotherhood, the multiplayer ruined it for me.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Dead Space 2, Starcraft 2, Civilization 5, Batman Arkham Asylum, Dragon Age Origins, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, just to name a few.
Avatar image for deactivated-6040149309c71
deactivated-6040149309c71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-6040149309c71
Member since 2010 • 718 Posts

MGS4: the main reason is due to lack of tutorial. There is so much stuff in that stealth system that i could not figure out on my first try (my first MGS game). One thing that really got me PO'd is when you fight vamp, i had no clue how to kill him. I eventually had to go online because it does not explain this stuff in game.

Demons souls: Again the tutorial. Going through my first playthrough i had no clue what do do, other than the basic fighting mechanisms.

InFAMOUS: Repetitive level design, even though i loved this game to death

Fallout 3/ ES4 : Difficult to start, but when you get your character levelled up enough, the game is great, but sometimes the slow movement from one place to another in fallout 3 annoyed me.

spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts

Persona 3, it got a little repetitive towards the end but still a amazing experience and i loved the ending.

Avatar image for paranoidpixie95
paranoidpixie95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 paranoidpixie95
Member since 2009 • 2198 Posts

I have only awarded a 10 to five games (one as an official review on GS). I don't throw them out like they're candy.

Gran Turismo 2 (my favourite game of all time :P)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Goldeneye 007
Halo: Combat Evolved
Final Fantasy VIII

These games are ones that I consider to be perfect. So to answer your question:

Mass Effect (1+2)
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec
Resident Evil 4
Metroid Prime
Super Mario Galaxy (1+2)

ubpoker123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ubpoker123
Member since 2007 • 877 Posts

Planescape Torment is very easily in my top 5 favorite games of all time, if not my favorite game of all time, but considering its a video game I had to take points away which kept it from reaching a 10. I recommend to anyone that does not mind reading a **** load of dialogue and likes stories in video games, to give this one a try. I feel that I will eventually give this game a 10 in my book though despite some things that annoyed me in the game, because I know that I did not and can not fully appreciate this game on just one playthrough.

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#16 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
Any game; as I don't really hand out tens as of yet, not even for my favorite games. You can always point out at least one (minute) flaw. But I suppose I had a hard time doing so with Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door a while back, simply because it was that overwhelmingly good.
TaoJeetKuneDo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TaoJeetKuneDo
Member since 2010 • 512 Posts
Yeah , almost any game . If it only has like one flaw or 2 i will give it a 10 , but anything that can be improved doesn't need a 10 , because 10 is perfect and it can't be improved .
TentacleMayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 TentacleMayor
Member since 2008 • 1469 Posts
Final Fantasy 7 because it was too easy and had some typos, that's it.
Pandemic-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Pandemic-7
Member since 2006 • 229 Posts

For me both Metriod Prime and Resident Evil 4 are definite 10's, they are games that are legendary to me. There's several more on my list of 10's but not too many. Recent games that fell just short for me were Uncharted 2 and Assassin's Creed 2, perhaps 9.75 if you will. So I began to ponder, "What makes a game a 10?" It's mostly subjective really. It was then I realized, in most cases, a 10, that final push from 9.75 to 10, is a tilt factor for the player. That isn't to say that Uncharted 2 and Assassin' Creed 2 were'nt perfect in many ways. But for the time and place I was at when playing Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 4, and how I felt when I was done playing them, they are 10's. Those games, among others, just clicked perfectly for me. And I suspect that some other players on the board feel the same way about games that came in at 9.75 for me.

Darksiders666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Darksiders666
Member since 2011 • 272 Posts

Darksiders - The story was great but not worthy of a 10 and there were minor framerate issues.

Assassins Creed II - Only the slow start holding it back from a 10/10.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NaveedLife

For me both Metriod Prime and Resident Evil 4 are definite 10's, they are games that are legendary to me. There's several more on my list of 10's but not too many. Recent games that fell just short for me were Uncharted 2 and Assassin's Creed 2, perhaps 9.75 if you will. So I began to ponder, "What makes a game a 10?" It's mostly subjective really. It was then I realized, in most cases, a 10, that final push from 9.75 to 10, is a tilt factor for the player. That isn't to say that Uncharted 2 and Assassin' Creed 2 were'nt perfect in many ways. But for the time and place I was at when playing Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 4, and how I felt when I was done playing them, they are 10's. Those games, among others, just clicked perfectly for me. And I suspect that some other players on the board feel the same way about games that came in at 9.75 for me.

Pandemic-7

Yeah Uncharted 2 and MGS4 had that feel to me no doubt. Metroid Prime for me was SO close, yet I thought the ending was not as good as it could have been and the puzzles not as good as Metroid Prime 2. I have not played Assassins Creed II, but I hear it is LEAGUES better than 1. 1 had awesome style and even gameplay, but it got SOOO repetitive that it was awful lol.

As for RE4 I think that game probably did deserve a 10, but because of my own lack of knowledge with RE it kind of shocks me to give it a 10 :P. I should buy it for Wii and replay it again. I was blown away by it no doubt. I would need to see if it was fun the whole way through (thats key IMO), still holds up today (i believe it would), and if it has small touches like amazing music (I think it did but I dont remember).

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#22 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Of any game ever, I feel only Majora's Mask deserves a 10. If another game comes along that is as amazing, dark, thought provoking and effective as this, I would gladly rate it a 10. However, I have yet to see any game deserving as Majora's Mask.

Games that come close are Ocarina of Time, Super Mario Brothers 3, Resident Evil 4, Viewtiful Joe, Dragon Quest IX, Knights In the Nightmare, and others. They are all amazing games, but are lacking one or two of the qualities that makes MM so spectacular.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#23 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

I ended up giving Majora's Mask a 10, but I was a little on the fence because I think the save system is a little janky.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#24 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Darksiders - The story was great but not worthy of a 10 and there were minor framerate issues.

Darksiders666
Darksiders, really? It's a rock solid game, but not worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as these other games.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#25 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I ended up giving Majora's Mask a 10, but I was a little on the fence because I think the save system is a little janky.

GreySeal9

I kind of agree, but it really isn't that bad if you play smartly. I gave it a 10, as well.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#26 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

turtlethetaffer

I kind of agree, but it really isn't that bad if you play smartly. I gave it a 10, as well.

True. The whole game really requires to you play smarter than in other Zelda games.

dbz987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

User Lists: 1

#27 dbz987
Member since 2006 • 3765 Posts

pokemon red/blue

Pandemic-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pandemic-7
Member since 2006 • 229 Posts
"Yeah Uncharted 2 and MGS4 had that feel to me no doubt." Dude I was sooo close on MGS4 too, just like Uncharted 2. I think we can definitely agree that all these games are simply amazing. The snake crawl at the end is one of the most memorable moments in the history of gaming. I was screaming at my TV. "C'mon Snake!!!"
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#29 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines - I feel that as it is now, that game is pretty much perfect. It has the same great atmosphere and characters and all the annoying bugs have been fixed at one point or another. Still, I always leave it at a 9 or 9.5 just because I know straight out of the box (or DL'd) is a bug ridden mess waiting to be patched.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

SMG2: The first half plus the final two stars would guarantee an instant ten for me, but the weak placement of the green starswhich willalso results in the camera not being easily to control while looking in certain directions for these stars.

SSBB: Massive online issues

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Red Dead Redemption because of sparse bugs
Darksiders666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Darksiders666
Member since 2011 • 272 Posts
[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="Darksiders666"]

Darksiders, really? It's a rock solid game, but not worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as these other games.

It's all down to personal opinion.
kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

There's only 2 games that has earned a 10 out of 10 score in my book, Fallout 2 and Chrono Trigger. No other games are even debatable to be even close to a 10, so it's easier just to mention those I think deserve a 10.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#34 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Uncharted 2 and SMG2. As much as I loved SMG2, I still preferred the first a bit more, and I only gave that one a 9.5.
lasseeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lasseeb
Member since 2010 • 1186 Posts

I dont get the hate on MW2... I would give it a solid 9.5 but only because of noobtubes.

KeredsBlaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 KeredsBlaze
Member since 2010 • 2049 Posts
[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="Darksiders666"]

honestly, i thought darksiders sucked, but just my opinion
codymcclain14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 codymcclain14
Member since 2010 • 6017 Posts
Batman:Arkham Asylum. It was too short. :(
Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#38 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts
  • Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
  • Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
  • Tekken 3
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  • Kingdom Hearts
  • Super Smash Brothers Melee
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
  • Super Smash Brothers Brawl

All of these game I reviewed and gave a 9.5.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#39 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

True. The whole game really requires to you play smarter than in other Zelda games.

Yeah, Majora's Mask is probably the hardest The Legend of Zelda game out there.

kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts
Probably Super Mario Galaxy 2, Uncharted 2, Metal Gear Solid 1, and RE4. If SMG2 didn't have the awful flight stages I might have given it a 10
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#41 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
metroid prime half-life 2 crysis
TheOtherTheoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42 TheOtherTheoG
Member since 2010 • 2287 Posts
Half-Life 2 - probably (scratch that, almost certainly) my favourite game of all time, but it just felt a little bit... I don't know... sterile and cold, I suppose, and the story could have been a tad better. Bioshock - perfect other than the fact that you could play through practically the entire game without having to change from the shotgun/electricity combination. If you were to mix Bioshock 2's gameplay and Bioshock 1's atmosphere and story, that would be an easy 10 for me. Portal - twice as long and I would have given it a 10. I have a weird feeling that I'm gonna end up giving my first ever 10 to Portal 2. Mass Effect 2 - the Paragon/Renegade system didnt really work and the story wasnt as good as Mass Effect 1, other than that it was amazing.
zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#43 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Final Fantasy XII - I loved the gameplay, loved the cast, enjoyed the music, but it was the story that brought it down. If the story would have been a bit more of a personal story, or more about the characters than the politics, it would be my favorite game of all time.

FFadikt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 FFadikt
Member since 2007 • 743 Posts

Final Fantasy XII - I loved the gameplay, loved the cast, enjoyed the music, but it was the story that brought it down. If the story would have been a bit more of a personal story, or more about the characters than the politics, it would be my favorite game of all time.

Zassimick
Agreed. And for my personal choice it would have to be Shadow of the Colossus. Frame rate bugged me and there was a seemingly lacking story, but I think in the end that's what made game so great and gave it a mysterious persona.
Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#45 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

None.. There's always room for improvement

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#46 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
Uncharted 2 - Some of the platforming/fighting sequences could be annoying due to weird control issues involving ducking/jumping. Shadow of the Colossus - Some control/camera issues God of War III - After the initial climbing up Mt. Olympus the game went back into it's regular cycle of Kratos dying and then rising back up to kill a god. Also the scale I felt was drawn back after the first giant mountain fight.
Avian005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#47 Avian005
Member since 2009 • 4112 Posts
  • Mass Effect 2
  • Halo: Reach
  • Gears of War

Just three that comes to my mind right now.

Cube_of_MooN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#48 Cube_of_MooN
Member since 2005 • 9286 Posts
Probably Metroid Prime most of all. One of the best games ever made, but a little too much repetition and backtracking hold it back.
Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
MGS2 and 4 because of their endings. Too convoluted, long and overdone.
xxFallenAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 xxFallenAngel
Member since 2011 • 753 Posts

AC Brotherhood and Motorstorm.