Games You Have/Will Be Playing Online for 10+ Years

This topic is locked from further discussion.

halo2_4_pc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 halo2_4_pc
Member since 2005 • 1561 Posts

Recently, I got invited to the Quake Live beta test and saw how popular the Quake community still is today. I also realized this while playing Starcraft for the 1st time online yesterday. The crazy thing is these games are both 10+ years old. I'm wondering what modern games are going to have communities like Starcraft, Quake III, Counter-Strike, Everquest 1, and other largely popular online games. The only game I can think of that I can think of off the top of my head that has that big of a community is World of Warcraft, which is 4 years old and still running strong.What games do you think will have strong communities 10 years from now?

Foolio1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 Foolio1
Member since 2003 • 7467 Posts
I don't think Counter Strike will ever die it seems.
passentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 passentry
Member since 2004 • 272 Posts

This is an interesting topic, so I'll join in...

Personally, I believe with the advent of Starcraft 2, fans of the original may migrate onto the sequel.

One game I think will last the decade is Counter-Strike.

Even with CS:Source around, so many gamers prefer the original as it's a game they're familiar with already. In addition, Steam has such a well-established community which supports CS, which helps to cement it as something to come back to.

snapfreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 snapfreeze
Member since 2009 • 95 Posts

UO is still going pretty good, despite the fact that it's been ruined over the years. I imagine people will still be playing it for quite some time to come.

I would put Diablo 2 on the list, but I'm not sure how Diablo 3 will impact that scene (I'm sure there will be a crowd who prefers D2, but how many?).

I, personally, don't think there's anything online that I'll be playing 10 years from now. About the only thing I can guarantee I'll still be doing 10 years from now is going to college. lol.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts
Lumines will always be one of my favorite games. I find myself playing it every so often, and it's a game I will never tire from. It's not my all-time favorite, but with really good puzzle games it's hard to put them down no matter how many years have passed. I could also see myself playing FFX and the Persona games 10 years from now.
Xerolith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Xerolith
Member since 2007 • 136 Posts

Lumines will always be one of my favorite games. I find myself playing it every so often, and it's a game I will never tire from. It's not my all-time favorite, but with really good puzzle games it's hard to put them down no matter how many years have passed. I could also see myself playing FFX and the Persona games 10 years from now.yokofox33

Heh, too bad the topic was about ONLINE games. Not singleplayers and/or RPGs..

Anyways, back on topic. I agree that Counter-Strike will continue to last as an Online FPS, even with all the new free FPS games coming out. Another game that I think will continue to flourish is Warcraft 3, mostly DOTA. There will always be a huge group of gamers that have subpar PC's and with all the new RTS games coming out requiring good machines and hardware, that game will probably last the next 20 years.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

[QUOTE="yokofox33"]Lumines will always be one of my favorite games. I find myself playing it every so often, and it's a game I will never tire from. It's not my all-time favorite, but with really good puzzle games it's hard to put them down no matter how many years have passed. I could also see myself playing FFX and the Persona games 10 years from now.Xerolith

Heh, too bad the topic was about ONLINE games. Not singleplayers and/or RPGs..

Anyways, back on topic. I agree that Counter-Strike will continue to last as an Online FPS, even with all the new free FPS games coming out. Another game that I think will continue to flourish is Warcraft 3, mostly DOTA. There will always be a huge group of gamers that have subpar PC's and with all the new RTS games coming out requiring good machines and hardware, that game will probably last the next 20 years.

Woops. My reading comprehension was obviously in the poops... My bad!

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts
My first online game was an mmo and its dead now so I wont be make the 10 year anniversary with that :(.
AntoineCoyote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AntoineCoyote
Member since 2008 • 297 Posts
Any Blizzard makes that has an online feature
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
If Infinity Ward keeps it up, Call of Duty 4 can go on for another 5+ years, if not more. A lot of people still play the original Call of Duty and Call of Duty 2 on the PC. Modern Warfare should go longer than those. Also, Counter-Strike will go on forever, as well as Team Fortress 2. Team Fortress 2 is unique because the art-style will never make it look dated. It will always still feel fresh because of the cartoony look. As for me...not sure what I'll be playing in 10 years. That's too long. 3-5 years is a more reasonable length.
kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts
none I get bored of games fast if smash bros had decent online mayeb it would survive 3 years but the cloests is cod4
DownloadFailed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#12 DownloadFailed
Member since 2009 • 55 Posts
hmm... 10 years from now? Well I can tell a lot of people agree with the fact that CS (and also CS:S) will be going on for a long time. I know HL@ isn't an online game but I can see that one going probably for +10 years. But online games? WoW looks like a pretty strong competitor. A lot of PC online games will most likely outlast many of the other online games out on the PS3, 360 and Wii. The PC just seems more universal than a gaming system, which means more longer lasting games. Now if they succeeded putting TF2 on the 360 and PS3, why can't they try putting CS:S on a system too? I have a hunch that would be pretty popular for those of us who don't have up-to-par computers with all the games out there that call for a great graphics card to run them.
leonjuretic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 leonjuretic
Member since 2005 • 271 Posts
i've got a feeling wow will last about 10 years, warcraft 3 im sure will be played a long long time( dota especially) or at least until warcraft 4 comes( if ever)
Avatar image for Morning_Revival
Morning_Revival

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Morning_Revival
Member since 2008 • 3475 Posts
Counter Strike and Halo 3. Only games likely to have a 10+ year lifespan.
Rigga911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Rigga911
Member since 2008 • 2429 Posts
Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2
Jernage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jernage
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I Think CS will last forever, also do i think halo 1 will last long cause there are still hundreds of survers running with many many people on it
edgewalker16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 edgewalker16
Member since 2005 • 2286 Posts
I give you all permission to come over to my house, steal all the valuables, and hack my body into a bloody mess if I get caught playing ANY game for longer than 10 years. Hell, I hope I never play the same game for longer than 2 years. In any case, I can see myself playing Diablo 3 for quite a long time, but 10 years!? Jesus...you'd have to be a complete imbecile to play something for that long...move on to bigger and better things!