curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 0

#1 curono
Member since 2005 • 7722 Posts

To you, what does a 10/10 score in a videogame mean?

To me... this doesn't mean perfection. If a game truly earns this score it means that it is so goo and so engaging that you can use it as reference for the future. A kind of standard to use against other games. Games like Breath of the wild are 10/10 cause they show you how to do that "type of game" correctly.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@curono said:

To you, what does a 10/10 score in a videogame mean?

To me... this doesn't mean perfection. If a game truly earns this score it means that it is so goo and so engaging that you can use it as reference for the future. A kind of standard to use against other games. Games like Breath of the wild are 10/10 cause they show you how to do that "type of game" correctly.

• Fun addictive gameplay
  • High replay value
  • Good characters
  • Great level design
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44417 Posts

For me a 10/10 game doesn’t mean “perfect” but just a great game that makes its bad points feel inconsequential.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11683 Posts

Logically, none. And I adore many games.

At best I give a masterpiece game 9/10 if we be honest with ourselves. Dragon's Crown for example in my view is a solid 9/10 one if not the pinnacle of the Bem'U genre. However playing with four players is a nightmare on the eyes and can get too hectic, I enjoy to lock it at 2-players; Streets of Rage 4 has the same issue. Mechanically and presentation-wise both these games are top class and pushing the genre forward. It cannot be denied however that multiplayer could have been handled better and coop is the life blood of these games. So if that doesn't reduce a point I think people are ignoring valid problems in video games.

Every game has flaws, both small and big. And while @Archangel3371 makes a fine point I believe games given 10/10's have more glaring issues than players would like to admit. Sure pros outweigh the cons but to what extent? Bias must be put aside for a cohesive evaluation. Sure everyone will have different quirks in what they value and reject. Yet it's best to judge the good, the bad, and yes even the ugly.

Take Elden Ring, while a brilliant video game it has many issues and fans gloss over them. I killed a boss by hitting a wall. . a wall. And this is a known bug in various From Software games. It is the nature of fandoms to have players holding delusional perspectives, but who's to say we must join the bandwagon. You can love a game and still review it with open-eyes. Perhaps what I dislike you adore, find that hard to believe with the wall mention however, that would be better described as turning a blind-eye.

For me Monster Hunter has superior games to From ARPGs, but even I can see those games and what issues they hold. Some users believe only in 1/10 or 10/10's, I'm not one of those people.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

For me, a 10/10 is based on the the overall experience and the long-lasting appeal of the game and less on the technical aspects of it. For example, Counter-Strike was not technically impressive or revolutionary when it was released, but the number of hours I've enjoyed the game and the legacy it left in the multiplayer FPS genre was outstanding.

Single player games where I didn't put as many hours in it can be a 10/10 based on the experience and the lasting impression it gave. Games like Resident Evil 4 and Metroid Prime offer an experience where it stays in your head, long after you've finished the game.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#7 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2969 Posts

I consider a 10/10 a game of several years or a game of a generation (sometimes referred to as GOTG). A game of such high quality it practically defines a generation of games.

Typically review sites can go years without handing out a 10/10 (even SonySpot) so I think it's a fair assessment of 10/10's.

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1007 Posts

Final Fantasy X(PS2), Metal Gear Solid 3(PS2), Metal Gear Solid (ps), uncharted 2 (ps3) the Witcher 3 (PS4).

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#9 strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1181 Posts

A 10/10 means near perfection but no the game does not have to be perfect. The good and great far outnumber a few very minor flaw/s.

Fallout New Vegas ultimate edition I think it was called and Hearts of Iron III are 10s.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7273 Posts

For me it's red dead 1 I thought it played very well and had a great story still holds up today.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1181 Posts

I don't base my game purchasing decisions off of review scores, nor do I rate a game with a number format. If the game is good and has high replay-ability, then that's a great game. Elden Ring is a good example of a game like this.

Avatar image for masterkiller103
Masterkiller103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13 Masterkiller103
Member since 2022 • 468 Posts

A 10/10 game is a game that's very good at every aspect that the player's care about, for me those aspects are:

-Good addictive gameplay ***especially combat***

- Badass protagonist.

-Replayability.

God of War 1 is a very good example of a game like that Kratos is definitely the most badass alpha male of all time the gameplay is something else i mentioned this in my previous posts i ABSOLUTELY FRICKING LOVE GoW gameplay ***especially combat*** it's very fast exciting and aggressive which is my favorite type combat honestly, the blades are very satisfying to use, fighting every enemy is fun from the minions to the cyclops to the gorgon's to the bosses, yes there's only 3 of them but it was very fun to fight all three of them, i can't stop simping for the combat in this game. Last the replayability it's really on of it's most impressive aspect as I'm still playing it till now, since 2005 which is not an easy thing for a game to keep me hooked up for that long. I know the story was really good but I'm just not that much to storyline in videogames only in few situations like God of War 3 where i actually cared about the story,OR Uncharted 3: Drake's deception the other masterpiece.

Uncharted 3 Drake's deception is very nice game, the gameplay in it is fun, that's all i have to say about it , the character is very likeable Nathan Drake is not badass but he is still one of my favorites, and and icon for the playstation brand. As for the replayability I'm honestly just for Speedruns on that, i don't know if Speedruning counts as replayability or not, What's you're opinion on that?

All GoW games are actually masterpiece's just like the first game, GoW 2 is actually my favorite, the PSP games were meh... But they got better after the Remastered on the PS3. Outside of all GoW games, and Uncharted 3 there's no other games that deserves a 10/10 for me.

Masterkiller103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Masterkiller103

@girlusocrazy said:

10/10 means Bloodborne

Give us what makes you in love with this game.

Masterkiller103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Masterkiller103
@Archangel3371 said:

For me a 10/10 game doesn’t mean “perfect” but just a great game that makes its bad points feel inconsequential.

What games do you think are perfect?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Archangel3371

@masterkiller103: Well I don’t think any game is perfect but if you’re asking me which ones are a 10/10 for me then a few of those would be:

- Super Mario World

- Super Mario Galaxy

- Super Mario Galaxy 2

- Super Mario Odyssey

- The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

- Elden Ring

- Chrono Trigger

- Chrono Cross

- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

- Final Fantasy VI, VII, and VII Remake

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RSM-HQ

@Archangel3371: Some fine games listed but I do have a question.

Do you not think Super Mario Bros.3 is in the same tier as World? ask namely because I noticed you put Twilight as good as Ocarina.

Preferences aside, some prefer a frog suit, others riding a yoshi. I know fans often fight and debate between the two but I think they're both equals in many rights. Both considerably the best 2D Mario games.

For me comparing SMB3 and SMW is no different from debating Sonic Mania to S3 & Knuckles. Or in the example Ocarina to Twilight.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Archangel3371

@RSM-HQ: Definitely love SMB3 and probably should have put it in there to be honest even though I slightly prefer SMBW.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RSM-HQ
@Archangel3371 said:

@RSM-HQ: even though I slightly prefer SMBW.

Respectful answer for an amazing 2D Platformer.

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#20  Edited By The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

@RSM-HQ: If you’re bringing logic into this, it would be illogical to use a 1-10 scale yet also claim the impossibility of a game scoring a 10. If a 9 is the highest possible score, then that 9 de facto functions as the new “10,” which doesn’t compute because a ten should be unachievable, even if it’s in the form of a “9” rating.

A ten out of ten should be like this: imagine the perfect girl for you (perhaps you’re already in a relationship with her, as I am with my 10/10 girl). Obviously, that girl has flaws, but dammit, she’s perfect for you, and you don’t go around telling your friends (hypothetically speaking), that she’s only a 9/10. No, she’s your ten.

Similar standards apply to how I see music, films, and literature. The Beatle’s White Album is a mess, and it arguably even has a bad song (“Why Don’t We Do It in the Road?”), but that album is such a hodgepodge of scattered, ridiculous, silly, rocking, experimental ideas that surprises at every turn that giving it less than a 10 in my mind makes no sense whatsoever.

In games, my tens are games that are practically perfect mechanically but also execute its gameplay elements of its genre with perfect pacing and innovative ideas. The Super Mario series is worthy of more tens than any franchise for its countless innovations that have influenced gaming on the whole. I’ve given like 28 games a ten or something, which is very little considering I have played hundreds and hundreds of them at this point. I’m super selective with my tens, but some games deserve them.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RSM-HQ
@The_Deepblue said:

@RSM-HQ:

If you’re bringing logic into this, it would be illogical to use a 1-10 scale yet also claim the impossibility of a game scoring a 10

A ten out of ten should be

Understand your perspective, and reading along it seems you have a sweet look on life, people, and video games. Do not mean that in a condescending way. For me it's a joy when no person see's things the same way, it's how discussion boards work after all. Different looks on a subject/ topic/ life itself.

However with the highlighted note this is when your evaluation crumbles.

Logical and illogical is different from fact or fiction. Logic is based on the knowledge and principles of the individual, so by that we are already indifferent.

Telling someone what "should be" over whatever system they use as far as critical evaluation is concerned, will vary from one person to the next; duly on how they view a situation/ subject/ etc.

When I review it's based on my own system. What I deem that reduces a point and what would add a point; I expect no one to follow this system outside myself. The best I do is explain how the system works and the reasoning behind it. Will it make sense to everyone? absolutely not, lol.

If you asked me about score ratings and how I feel about them? well they don't give all the information needed for a cohesive evaluation. Prefer people to read the review than just check a number. And that's-just-that.

I write reviews quite often, so with that alone words matter more than the number. As I express many layers both good and bad for the reader to decide what they want from a game, and what they do not want. A negative can be a positive to some. Overall will vary depending on the person.

Noted multiplayer for two games could be better, for a person who only plays Single-Player? this is a non-issue. Yet the flaw still lingers.

I number games anyhow because it is the simplistic meta to get a point across. Also because reviews without scores are typically disregarded as a glorified blog.

A ten out of ten should be like this: imagine the perfect girl for you (perhaps you’re already in a relationship with her, as I am with my 10/10 girl)

Well you are not going to like this answer. Romance/ love/ relationships are partly rooted in ignorance. I've been in love, and I am in a current relationship. I respect my lover flaws and all. This is not perfection, it is acceptance. Anyone who thinks someone is "perfect" I'd see as 'cute', heck 'adorable'! Yet I don't live in such delusions. Do I love? sure, I love many people on different levels, as well as love games too. That doesn't make any the above 'for me' a 10/10. As it's illogical.

As I mentioned above, you may not like that answer, and I can only hope it doesn't offend anyone. For me puppy-love is illogical by definition. There is beauty in imperfection, too many look at flaws as the be-all to end-all.

Similar standards apply to how I see music, films, and literature.

I use a similar system for everything related to entertainment. I'm just typically better at reviewing games from a logical sense, as I don't watch many movies to begin any form of quality check/ comparison.

And for literature I'm more on the poetry side so I only review poetry. Usually base it less how I feel about the poem and more how it's written, paced, structure, tone, and the overall message; and how presentable the message was handled. Basically I use a check-list for everything that I review.

If you believe a video game or someone you blush over is a 10/10? I'm not going to stop or argue how you feel on the subject, you have your own system. I will just think differently based on my own evaluations.

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#22  Edited By The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

@RSM-HQ: I did not write anything about emotions to make you think of “puppy love.” I was “speaking” in evaluative terms regarding a person in a relationship.

My 10/10 is that she must be physically attractive, must share my political and religious values, must be traditional in her morals and perception of gender roles, she wants children, and she does not want to be a feminist career type of woman. I had plenty of girls in college who were interested in me, but I did not give them the time of day because they did not meet all of those conditions. My 10/10 meets those conditions. Does my perception of relationships really sound like puppy love?

“Puppy love” is for scummy romance novel writers and cheapo movie directors who want to make a buck. You totally misunderstood my take. My take is that you CHOOSE to see that which is only good and to accept the flaws without it tainting your perception that the person is “perfect” for you. “Perfect” for you does not mean “technically perfect.” It’s like Bob Dylan’s Blonde on Blonde album, which starts with an underwhelming opener but then whisks the listener away into the some of the best musical poetry ever penned. The strengths so overshadow the minor flaw, that the minor flaw does not take away from the 10 or deserves. It’s kind of like how in public schools, a 93-100 score is still an “A.” A 100 is “flawless,” but as a letter grade, it is identical to seven other scores. Anyways, that’s MY logic on the matter.

I understand logic by the way. I just assumed that you would understand that I was simply presenting my take and not presenting what I thought was “fact.” I didn’t know that I needed to put an asterisk next to words such as “should” to explain that the “should” represents my point of view and that such words are used as persuasive rhetorical devices. You’re super pedantic and have a hypersensitive focus on semantics. Are you human or A.I. of some sort?

I understand that your evaluation system is your own, but what’s wrong with having your system challenged, right? But I don’t want to be a thorn in your side on here. If you do want a thorn in your side on the forums, just give me a holler. :)

Worlds_Apart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23  Edited By Worlds_Apart
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts
@RSM-HQ said:

Logically, none. And I adore many games.

I made a similar thread in System Wars about 10/10 games. I agreed with your point I quoted and the backlash received was quite much. No one seems to agree with this, and while I see their point 10/10 is still 10 out of 10. You can hand out 9s or 9.5s etc but it seems the meaning of 10/10 has been re-written.

To me, even if a game is 10/10, you won't be for sure until a long time after because of the experience and lasting mark the game left on you.

I played Half-Life along with some other games, and while at the time I didn't think HL was the best out of the bunch, till this day it's the only one I still think about so fondly. What an experience. Sure it had one or two bad sections which is why I wouldn't score it 10/10 but damn it sure did leave its mark.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RSM-HQ

@worlds_apart: Think it's best to look at it that the metric we use to evaluate games is just different, and neither is really the 'right' answer. It depends what the person really wants to read or hear. Some don't want a detailed evaluation, they just wanna know if it's fun and what makes it fun.

As such both methods have reasons behind a given score.

Our ways are namely more rooted in practicality; and the 10/10's or 1/10's people think with more passion and less in-depth detailing. I've seen some view Fall Out 3 & New Vegas as "perfect" games, and I can certainly see why they praise those games. Are they perfect? far from if looked at in every area. Highly flawed games infact. That doesn't mean someone hasn't got valid reasons to treasure those games.

If someone give a Super Mario or Resident Evil a perfect 10 that is very cool, chances are I like that game just as much or more than people with those statements. I just don't necessarily agree to my way of breaking down and assessing a video game that the game is a 10.

*@The_Deepblue I used puppy love by example as that is typically the English phrasing, falling in love for the first time. Same could be viewed for someone's first great Super Mario game. Didn't mean to offend or make you think I was disregarding your outlook on these subjects. As noted I don't think any is the right way, you just have yours and I have mine. Both are equally valid and will be relevant depending how someone wants to perceive this hobby. It is simply apples and oranges, and I'm oranges. .