Games with the best Sprites

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

I was wondering if there were amazingly looking games with Hi-Res sprites like Heroine Anthem, Tales of Eternia etc.

Do you know of games (good games) like those?

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

The first game that came to my mind was Final Fantasy Tactics for PSP. I'm not too fond of the game honestly, but that's one thing I really liked about it, it has some ofthe best 2D graphics I've seen, with really good looking sprites.

Tales of Phantasia looks pretty cool too, and that is an awesome game, lol :)

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

I was wondering if there were amazingly looking games with Hi-Res sprites like Heroine Anthem, Tales of Eternia etc.

Do you know of games (good games) like those?

fend_oblivion

Inconsistent lighting FTL.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts
Odin Sphere on the PS2 stands out to me, a 2D side scrolling action-RPG with multiple stories, great artistic design, and Japanese and English voice tracks. The sprites look good by their own artistic design but I wouldn't say their of super high detail.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#5 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
Marvel vs Capcom 2 has great sprites. It's too bad Capcom's classic 2d fighters are now all using 3d models.
Hseptic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Hseptic
Member since 2003 • 1566 Posts

Guilty Gear series

SCHN1TZ3L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 SCHN1TZ3L
Member since 2009 • 92 Posts

Check out Cortex Command (www.datarealms.com)

It's an Indie game that I managed to get addicted to :/

Ravirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 Ravirr
Member since 2004 • 7931 Posts

Oh this is easy.

Vanguard Princess

Phantom Breaker

KillerJuan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 KillerJuan77
Member since 2007 • 3823 Posts

BlazBlue

Muramasa

Odin Sphere

Disgaea 4 (It looks amazing)

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#10 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Street Fighter III: Third Strike is great. I think Garou: Mark of the Wolves has great ones, too. Guilty Gear has good sprites, but I haven't played one yet. Newer games have the best ones I've seen, though.Like BlazBlue. I just prefer SF and Fatal Fury's animation styles.
homieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 homieboy
Member since 2004 • 3279 Posts
Doom 64 when comes to 2D shooter old as it may be , But it still holds up on how good sprite they had in the game :}
Got_to_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Got_to_go
Member since 2009 • 2036 Posts

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World

LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts

Megaman X/X2

Marka1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Marka1700
Member since 2003 • 7500 Posts

Megaman X/X2

LikeHaterade
Why no love for X3?
LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts

[QUOTE="LikeHaterade"]

Megaman X/X2

Marka1700

Why no love for X3?

Eh, wasn't a fan of the music, bosses or upgrades. The level design was good though.

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#17 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts

BlazBlue

Muramasa

Odin Sphere

(It looks amazing)

KillerJuan77
This. The whole Odin Sphere, Atelier Iris and such series really make that styIe shine.
sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

In my experience the best sprites come from fighters. The prettiest hi res sprites I know of are from

GGX/Blazblue games.

Tatsunoko vs Capcom is up there too.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

Oh this is easy.

Vanguard Princess

Phantom Breaker

Ravirr

They look phenomenal! Vanguard Princess looks exceptionally good but damn, talk about skimpy outfits ;)

Know of any RPGs with great sprites like in Tales of Eternia?

ThePerro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#20 ThePerro
Member since 2006 • 3105 Posts

[QUOTE="KillerJuan77"]

BlazBlue

Muramasa

Odin Sphere

(It looks amazing)

Daavpuke

This. The whole Odin Sphere, Atelier Iris and such series really make that styIe shine.

This, SFIII Third Strike, King of Fighter XII/XIII, and Garou: Mark of the Wolves.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Street Fighter III: Third Strike

Garou: Mark of the Wolves ( From the Fatal Fury/King of Fighters universe, one of the best fighting games ever with fantastic mechanics)

Guilty Gear X2: Reload

Blazblue

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#22 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

[QUOTE="Ravirr"]

Oh this is easy.

Vanguard Princess

Phantom Breaker

fend_oblivion

They look phenomenal! Vanguard Princess looks exceptionally good but damn, talk about skimpy outfits ;)

Know of any RPGs with great sprites like in Tales of Eternia?

Check out the original Valkyrie Profile.

Ravirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ravirr
Member since 2004 • 7931 Posts

Sadly sprites aren't used much in RPG's anymore, too high of production costs compared to a 3d model. The original Valkyrie Profile and Star Ocean the Second story are the only things that come to mind, but those look a bit dated.

Desulated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#24 Desulated
Member since 2005 • 30952 Posts

Command and Conquer. Even in the Windows 95 and DOS era the infantry in the game have amusing animations when idle. And when they get blown up or burned by a flame tank...damn.

B-boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#25 B-boy
Member since 2002 • 1965 Posts
most neo geo games very hight sptites get in xlba
Pixelart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pixelart
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
It seems that video games are 2D, sprite-made stroke and pixel art tends to 3D. As I read, the latest fighting game like this: Shin Koihime Mosou Arcade Edition [/ b] (IRC) and Phantom Breakers [/ b] (5PB) have used a colored or digital ink, colored unlike KOF XII is traditional, the 'pixel'. This has gotten real 'sprites' appear polygonal models' cel-shading. " In fact confused at first to various digital media, they did not know if if the game uses sprites or are actually polygonal models. Athena as gamerafe and Gamers Sanctuary, commented a long time that the sprites are quite rare ... it is a kind of pre-render polygonal models with the difference that while this technique has been used in other games (KOFXII / XIII) note here is like SNK Ragnagard ... much nicer though. Neither Japos 4Gamer or other sources I've read have confirmed whether the game uses sprites or are actually polygonal models ... so until they fix it with an official source, np can confirm any of this. Athena said, this game promises much, including their characteristics have the game running in HD (1280 x 720), also allegedly plotted to use a technique similar to that used in KOF XII and XIII, but still do not know if graphics in Sprite or polygonal models, but if it looks pretty good. The biggest appeal of this pre renders sprites finished, for me, is the expectation and / or ability to see in future games arcade gameplay polygonal 2D (2.5D), with a graphic finish as good as Shin Koihime Musou Arcade Edition, if not more funds are _the most beautiful games like Marvel Vs Capcom 3, R-Type Dimensions, Gouls'n Ultimate Ghost, or X Shonen Sunday (Konami, Fighting, PSP), is very attractive and promising, if get:) Images: http://kakuge.info/archives/8128 http://www.mediavida.com/foro/7/phantom-breaker-400038 It seems that the 2D sprites and pixel are developed only for this type of fighting game 1 Vs 1, 2D games of the other genera only in small projects like the indies. Marvel vs. Capcom 3: they have realized that it is a franchise with great potential now that Marvel is hatched medially with the barrage of films that are taking and that Street Fighter 4 has worked out great, so the only way possible for them were the 2.5 D ahead of the game is as attractive as possible to the public (call casuals if you want). The recent MvC2 downloadable PS3 and 360 has been a success, but much of the blame has to be a cult game for people fond of fighting games, the 2D and these were not a problem. Even if you are not very fond, is Marvel, Capcom is, it's cheap ... and yet not sold as a SF4 say because MvC3 going to try to sell it and put MvC2 taking the redrawn sprites in HD next to SF4. Not work. The 2.5 D at the end of the day are 2D survival in modern times. The only way to try to keep the gameplay 2D arcade and remains minimally profitable. 2D will always be honorable exceptions, but all that is addressed to a hardcore minority groups it is difficult to make something colorful 2D and then go accounts. video games exploration platforms have a different playing style to traditional platforms, predominantly the use of larger stages, which have to travel several times and in various directions, a continuous evolution of the character's skills and generally with a plot and atmosphere more fully developed [/ b]. The best known are the sagas of Castlevania and Metroid. On the other hand had read some time ago on the analysis of Bionic Commando Rearmed 2, where Vandal explained that if playable Rearmed 2 is a game the past [/ b], in the best sense of the word is technically very located today. While this type of display still does not allow much spectacular [/ b] the set, although it is also small, are very well made and allocated according to the mission that we're going. Is this 3D arcade photorealistic 2D gameplay will there be video games in the future, medium and long term? "There will remain a niche market for this then? I ask that at least in the near future, look set to follow us, relying on three-dimensional graphics, and sometimes, in techniques that make them look like animation. but what about later? At present we have games such as "complex" that the tutorials to get familiar with the game mechanics are the daily bread. And it is something that in the ancient games was conspicuous by its absence, because the spirit of simplicity was the common denominator in those games of old. And that is why we speak of the sections "retro" for each console. Will they then having games that meet carasterísticas such as simplicity, pick up the controller and play, start the game and have little to ask. Direct gameplay, and clarity in development.? Retro Is the spirit, a style? Also ask them if soys "realistic or aesthetic? Or both? www.pixfans.com / art-of-the-game For my part, I'm more aesthetic guilty because I love the world anime or animated film ... Even games like Mortal Kombat (RealmStudio-Warner Bros.), Bionic Commando Rearmed Capcom, Grim, or Soldner X2 Final Prototype. opposed aesthetics have also been very good, I prefer a more aesthetic cartoon or comic.