Games with a crazy amount of attention to detail?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

What are some games that have a crazy amount of attention to detail to them?

I think RDR2 might be the king of attention to detail I never knew bodies decayed over time crazy.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6847 Posts

Wow, learned something new about RDR2.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7150 Posts

SONY FIRST PARTY DEVELOPERS

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

I've been watching the Digital Foundry overview of the changes from The Last of Us on PS3/PS4 compared to the remake on PS5, and they found a lot of tiny details to point out, it's crazy.

Loading Video...

It's hard to list them all. There is a lot of detail in the lighting/shadows and reflections, but also modeling of details in the backgrounds, animations, water stream motion and foam, attention to the flow of each scene, damage to scenery during gameplay, particle physics, flashlight shadows (even the reflections/shadows of the flashlight bulb), the glow of the material the flashlight is shone on to other objects nearby, AI behavior. Carpet bunching up as characters walk on them. Even the detail on characters you would only see for a split second. In photo mode, like in Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart, it seems like even the most incidental objects are modeled with incredible detail that holds up even when you zoom in up close to them.

Considering how detailed the original was it's amazing to see how they significantly surpass it.

I was lukewarm on playing this game again because I already played the original a lot, but experiencing it this way has strong allure.

Impressive

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

RDR2 and its shrinking horse testicles was also the first thing that sprang to mind.

TLoU 1 and especially 2 are insanely detailed in terms of their environments. Naughty Dog must have an army of artists working on those games because I don't remember seeing re-used art assets in either of those games in spite of how many decrepit houses you have to explore.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7259 Posts

The Kim family (KOF, Garou) have the most fluidly animated pants in gaming:

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Assassin's Creed Unity.

They did such an accurate representation of Paris and Notre Dame in particular, they were able to use the 3D level of the Notre Damn cathedral to restore it after that fire.

Plus, the attention to detail in that game on all the buildings was just insane. The walls of various palaces and estates had goldleaf on them, a lot of rooms were unique without recycled furniture and stuff. The bastille was scanned in crazy detail as well.

DCS World is another one. The planes are 1:1 realistic as far as the government allows them to go (obviously some things like weapon performance, radar capability, etc are still classified even on Cold War-era aircraft) but they have fully interactive cockpits.

There's even a story about an A-10C being on display at an air show and a DCS World gamer went up and started talking about it; well, the pilot was there and wanted to call his bluff so the pilot was like "Oh yeah? Why don't you walk me through the start up procedure" so the gamer was like "Well, OK, I think you start here with the battery then turn on the APU and then the fuel pumps and..." and the pilot was finally like "Sir, I need you to step back from the aircraft" lol. Guess he was scared this civilian might actually turn the plane on.

Loading Video...

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11669 Posts

Hate to bring up the best ARPG franchise again, but I can think of no greater example than Monster Hunter_

Loading Video...

You can follow any of these monsters around and see they do without the hunters around. The way they act when injured, how and when missing a tail, horns broken, terrain preferences, lair/ resting areas, turf-wars, molt/ drool/ dispatch waste, what they eat, drink etc. It's majestic.

A lot of this was pushed out of MH: Rise/ Sunbreak for the limitations of hardware. Yet I still encourage watching some of the World/ Iceborne examples.

Avatar image for Alexander2cents
Alexander2cents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#11 Alexander2cents
Member since 2012 • 705 Posts

Yakuza comes to mind.