Games that scared you as a kid?

#1 Posted by Speeny (1641 posts) -

Spider-Man 2000: The "Monster Ock" final boss stage scared the hell out of me. I remember the sounds it made haunted me every time I played it. I think my dad ended up beating the level for me.

Zelda Windwaker: I remember the Forsaken Fortress stage being quite creepy, hard & confusing when I first played it. Especially trying to get past the pig guards without being noticed. It was fairly tense when they got alarmed.

That's all that comes to mind right now.

#2 Posted by JohnnyGT1 (147 posts) -

Resident Evil 2 and Silent Hill. There's something about old games that were much scarier than games that are out today. Maybe I just got older and don't find games to be scary anymore.

#3 Posted by DaVillain- (36548 posts) -

The one that always get's me so scare has gotta be Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time when I first enter Bottom of the Well, that place always scares me as a kid. Feel with monsters like Redeads and the dead hand really creep me out. The Shadow Temple really creep me out more then the Well.

Nintendo is for little kids they said. It'll be fun they said :(

#4 Posted by robert_sparkes (3020 posts) -

Resident evil 1 and nightmare creatures.

#5 Posted by Kadin_Kai (445 posts) -

I was hardly a kid, I think I was 21 years old. My parents were on holiday and I hooked my PS2 to the big telly and the sound system.

I played Silent Hill 2 alone in a massive house at night in the dark in winter.

I had no idea it was going to be such a scary game, but I was scared poop-less!

#6 Edited by warmblur (2367 posts) -

Any water level in the NES era.

#7 Posted by thehig1 (7282 posts) -

@JohnnyGT1 said:

Resident Evil 2 and Silent Hill. There's something about old games that were much scarier than games that are out today. Maybe I just got older and don't find games to be scary anymore.

Its because your older.

Try to imagine yourself at 12 playing through Alien Isolation

On topic Resident Evil 3 scared me as a kid, couldn't handle the anxiety of nemesis not leaving you alone at times you thoughr you'd be safe based on prevoius Resident Evil games.

#8 Edited by RSM-HQ (8336 posts) -

Pretty much all Survival Horror games of the 128-bit generation. Not including Outbreak because having others play with you pulled the tension.

Games like Siren, Sillent Hill 2, Zero, Demento, Remake. Very scary.

Try to imagine yourself at 12 playing through Alien Isolation

Yeah I don't personally find many horror themed games scary as a grown man. Though if anything the restrictions and pacing to that game frustrate me if nothing else. I see the appeal to Alien: Isolation but you clearly need to be a fan of the movies to care honestly. It's very much a Stealth Horror game like Outlast. Expecting anything else other than being an Alien adoption leads to disappointment.

#9 Posted by Clefdefa (738 posts) -

I was 13 when the first Resident Evil came out and it was the first time I played an horror style game. It was scary until I got the hang of the game and then the second playthrough was a joke and trying to get new special stuff was very fun like the first time I unlocked the flamethrower or the magnum, good time.

Otherwise I think the remake of RE1 on the gamecube but then I was 20 when it came out.

#10 Posted by HEATHEN75 (685 posts) -

Games looked like this when I was a kid. Not very scary.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
#11 Posted by turtlethetaffer (18788 posts) -

@JohnnyGT1: You just aren't playing the right games friend. There are so many hidden gems on Steam it's not even funny

#12 Posted by JohnnyGT1 (147 posts) -

@thehig1: Yeah this is the problem I got older if I was still a kid I probably would find some of these scary games to be scary still. I played Alien Isolation and enjoyed it. Was it scary no but I double dip on it because the game was enjoyable.

#13 Edited by JohnnyGT1 (147 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer: I check steam from time to time. I'm not sure what hidden gems you are talking about. I have a huge backlog and haven't gotten around to a lot of games. If you got a top 5 scary games that you already played you are more than welcome to post it. I'll check it out and see if I played them or not and add it to my list of games to play.

#14 Posted by Shantmaster_K (1443 posts) -

Turok 2.

#15 Posted by turtlethetaffer (18788 posts) -

@JohnnyGT1: Some great hidden horror games on Steam

Cry of Fear (100% free to play, no micro transactions, and absolutely amazing)

Lakeview Cabin Collection

Close Your Eyes

IMSCARED (I hate Youtube bait, jump scare BS and this appears to be that on the surface but in reality it's a truly disturbing atmospheric game)

The Devil Came Through Here Trilogy (The Cat Lady, Downfall, Lorelai)

Settled

Darkwood

Paratopic

Just to name a few

#16 Edited by Speeny (1641 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer: Thanks for the list. I'll have to check these out.

#17 Posted by JohnnyGT1 (147 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer: Thanks for your time for putting a list together. I will use my time to take a look at these games you have listed and give it a try.

#18 Edited by turtlethetaffer (18788 posts) -

@JohnnyGT1: @speeny:Happy to spread the love, folks

Avatar image for clifford_sexylips
#19 Posted by Clifford_Sexylips (50 posts) -

Thomas and Friends... I remember how they looked like with glitches. Now that I'm older, I face my fear.

#20 Posted by nelmar23 (22 posts) -

Resident Evil: I run coz of that freaking zombies.

Avatar image for Alexander2cents
#21 Posted by Alexander2cents (233 posts) -