Games that look super dated but are slightly addictive.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bigdc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 bigdc
Member since 2003 • 91 Posts

I just saw a PC game rated an 8.5 and got all gitty.. "oh yea" I thought to myself. In these desperate times where Fruit Ninja is the only release for this week. Is there a light at the end of the tunnel of boredom? guess what? it wasFrozen Synapse(PC). CMON!! Total let down! Is it just me or is anyone else getting sick of this current video game fad where we get a bunch of games that look like they could run on a high end calculator with slightly addictive game play and they get these astronomicalratings.

Unreal Tournament II"8.5"

Alan Wake"8.5"

Final Fantasy XIII"8.5"

Fable II"8.5"

Team Fortress 2"8.5"

Frozen Synapse"8.5"

Does anyone else think this list looks wrong?

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

I just saw a PC game rated an 8.5 and got all gitty.. "oh yea" I thought to myself. In these desperate times where Fruit Ninja is the only release for this week. Is there a light at the end of the tunnel of boredom? guess what? it wasFrozen Synapse(PC). CMON!! Total let down! Is it just me or is anyone else getting sick of this current video game fad where we get a bunch of games that look like they could run on a high end calculator with slightly addictive game play and they get these astronomicalratings.

Alan Wake"8.5"

Final Fantasy XIII"8.5"

Fable II"8.5"

Team Fortress 2"8.5"

Frozen Synapse"8.5"

bigdc

those scores are other peoples that you probably have never or will never meet in your life, opinions.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
Mario Kart 64. I can't believe I was accustomed to it considering how newer games look. That said, it still looks good to me.
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
It might be a bad idea to look a score a game got on a website and buy it. Reviews in general don't really help me when buying games. Let alone just looking at the score.
MaskJackal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 MaskJackal
Member since 2011 • 86 Posts

No, but I am getting quite sick of people who can't look behind a few aesthetics, or even worse, technical graphics capability. These games are far more often creative than the stupid AAA titles out there, so there's no reason at all they should be punished for taking budget away from graphics and putting it into much-needed art, gameplay and story.

Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts

Not sure if serious? Alan Wake? Fable 2? Both look amazing, Fable II is one of my personal favourites, visual wise. Frozen Synapse is incredible gameplay wise (I'm hooked). Team Fortress 2 looks good, & from what I hear the gameplay is superb. Final Fantasy XIII looks fantastic..

Seriously, what are you talking about? What about Minecraft & Terraria? Minecraft is one of the best things to come out of this gen.

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

Alan Wake"8.5"

Final Fantasy XIII"8.5"

Fable II"8.5"

Team Fortress 2"8.5"

Frozen Synapse"8.5"

bigdc

Ever played Frozen Synapse? I just got it for $12.49 on Steam, and it is addicting. Its got a good difficulty on it, the single player camapign is nice and long (55 missions), and several head to head multiplayer modes.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

guildwars.. visually it looks like a 5 yr old game.. and not one of the better ones either. still pretty darn good though.

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#9 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
World of Warcraft and GTA San Andreas. Both games are virtual crack
CUDGEdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CUDGEdave
Member since 2010 • 2597 Posts

Deadly Premonition looks absolutely dog awful but strangly addictive.

slimepunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 slimepunch
Member since 2009 • 1193 Posts

Alan Wake? Doesn't look 'superdated' to me.

brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#12 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

Dragon Age: Origins

immadbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 immadbro
Member since 2011 • 54 Posts
super smash bros melee, still more addictive than brawl, perhaps because it's harder to unlock stuff.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#14 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I haven't read a game review in quite some time. I think the scores are based on how much advertising revenue the site got from the publisher - at least that's the only explanation that makes any sense. It's pointless to listen to what some total stranger thought of a game anyway. Their tastes may be exactly the opposite of yours for all you know.

I just read about a game before it comes out, watch some gameplay videos, and make up my mind that way. I've been MUCH happier with my buying decisions since I started doing things this way. No money wasted on highly rated rubbish and no really great games ignored because the reviewer found out his girlfriend was cheating on him the day he wrote the review.

WorldDman97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 WorldDman97
Member since 2011 • 108 Posts
Red faction or Half life (ps2)
bigdc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bigdc

I just think graphics and production values should always be a major part of a review score, not only AAA titles. Gamescores have always been a tool I use to decide what game to buy. and when A game looks like an old SNES game I dont think it should be ranked among current-gen power houses. Take a game like NBA 2k11, Great game, great graphics super fun, super addictive gameplay, great multiplayer. But according to the reviewer not as good asFrozen Synapse. Id like to know what factors they use when deciding over-all scores. I've read several times they do not take cash value as a factor so I would really like to hear why this budget Steam title is not as good as NBA 2k11.

bigdc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bigdc

the list is supposed to represent other games that also recieved an 8.5 and how I just cant understand how a budget Steam title can get the same score.

TJORLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TJORLY
Member since 2008 • 3298 Posts

ITT: A graphics whore whines about how their annual sports rehash is rated lower than a genuinely better Indie game.

Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#19 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

I haven't read a game review in quite some time. I think the scores are based on how much advertising revenue the site got from the publisher - at least that's the only explanation that makes any sense. It's pointless to listen to what some total stranger thought of a game anyway. Their tastes may be exactly the opposite of yours for all you know.

I just read about a game before it comes out, watch some gameplay videos, and make up my mind that way. I've been MUCH happier with my buying decisions since I started doing things this way. No money wasted on highly rated rubbish and no really great games ignored because the reviewer found out his girlfriend was cheating on him the day he wrote the review.

Jackc8

It's good to know there are others out there who can think for them selfes also, far too many games are over rated whilst lots are under rated due to reviewers.. the best reviewers are the gamers themselves

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

Thief. After 12 years it still has a strong fan community that make fan made missions. They do amazing things with Looking Glass Studio's Dark Engine after the community has made many tweaks to it. It still looks dated by today's graphical standards. But the gameplay, level design, and audio is still far superior to many more "modern" games. They are extremely atmospheric, you easily forget it is based on a game engine that is over 12 years old. I have played hundreds of quality fan missions, and continue to play more as the community makes them.

redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts
The best reviewers are reviewers they play tons of games, clearly that means they know what a good game is and a bad game is for the whole community that everyone can enjoy not just one person. They can't just rate games with good reviews if they enjoyed it but if it has tons of bugs, repetitive, and is not up to date. Of course there own opinion of game can effect a review like maybe they ain't into a certain genre or overhyped it, but a good reviewer should see it through the communities standpoint instead of their own.