Games, Religion, and God

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Whistlebuta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Whistlebuta
Member since 2007 • 60 Posts

Hey everyone - I'm researching how religion and the concept of God is portrayed in games, and I'm looking for suggestions on titles to play through with this in mind.

Right now, the most significant titles that come to mind that I've played are:

• Suikoden Tierkreis (The church involved, and the debate of free will)
  • Breath of Fire I ( The opening of the game introduces the hungry God, which I think was behind the churches in the game)
  • Final Fantasy Tactics, VII, X (Jenova, the Church in FFT, Sin in X, etc.)

To me, those titles seem to comment on religion more than providing creative mythologies, something that is seemingly more frequent in Japanese games. You do see more creative mythologies being brought forth in titles such as the Zelda franchise or most JRPGs.

I still haven't made a full list yet, but if anyone could give me any reccomendations, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Rheiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Rheiken
Member since 2009 • 677 Posts
Warcraft, or WoW in particular, makes references to several gods, based off of real life cultures. The most notable is the Pantheon (Greek/Norse gods)
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
Morrowind had a unique inclusion of the gods. Hmmm. Something about immortality and insanity....
Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Angry_Beaver
Member since 2003 • 4884 Posts

For accuracy's sake, the concept of "God" is different from the concept of "god". The former is a subtype of the latter.

Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
Dragon Age: Origins - The Maker and the Chantry Oblivion - Multiple gods in charge of certain aspects of the world
_Sketch_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 _Sketch_
Member since 2010 • 189 Posts

Halo series is a pretty good example

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Covenant_Religion

Whistlebuta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Whistlebuta
Member since 2007 • 60 Posts

For accuracy's sake, the concept of "God" is different from the concept of "god". The former is a subtype of the latter.

Angry_Beaver
True, my mistake. Warcraft does have a very interesting lore behind it, Oblivion as well. I especially found the personification of the different deities in that game interesting and comparable to the Greek and Roman mythologies. I haven't had the opportunity to try Dragon Age or much of Morrowind yet. Can anyone recommend any Japanese titles?
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#8 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
okami. you might think its limited to shintoism, but it has broader commentary on the ritual and religion as a whole.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Rise of the Argonauts gives you a deep overview of ancient Greece religion. For once it's actually very interesting to learn about the ancient greek gods instead of ripping their faces off with Kratos.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#10 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Tales of Symphonia had a rather (in my view) cynical take on religion that I think is worth mentioning.

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

Xenogears.

krazy-blazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 krazy-blazer
Member since 2009 • 1759 Posts
Oblivion is somewhat god-focused, Runescape has some concept of gods.
Polybren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Polybren
Member since 2004 • 1678 Posts
I remember Ultima VII: The Black Gate involving a big religious subplot, but I think most games deal with religion and spirituality in very simplistic ways. Spoiler: Usually the church winds up being evil. Assassin's Creed is another obvious one if having the presence of a church and religion is enough for you. If you want an actual "God" in the game though, I can't think of too many examples. It seems like a lot of RPGs will pit the player against a god-like character as a final boss, but that's not really the same thing.
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20984 Posts
Grandia II immediately comes to mind.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Painkiller is heavily rooted in Christianity, as is the Doom series. Elder Scrolls also have rather creative mythologies as it has gods and deamon to worship . Dragon Age Origins, Chantry, Andraste and The Maker. Warhammer online, particulary the Chaos race are heavily rooten in it's creative mythology. To mention a few.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

As a religious studies student, who wishes to pursue the idea of developing a masters thesis around the idea of religion in video games, I must suggest that Prince of Persia [2008] be your first step in researching religion in video games, especially when relating to a theological depiction of a extant religion (Zoroastrianism) which has ties to Christianity, Judaism and Islam.

First thing I would suggest would be to get into reading about Zoroastrianism first, then going on to play the game, so its easier to pick up on all the subtle things they use in imagery and story-telling. I have to admit, I've gone through the game twice now, have considered writing a critical analysis of the game in relation to Zoroastrianism, and still haven't thought of everything I want to talk about yet. And probably need to play it again.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#17 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
Huh, people haven't talked about Forgotten Realms or DnD in general?
Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

Xenogears and the Xenosaga games probably have the most intense theological themes of any game I've played. There is a heavy emphasis on gnostic concepts that are usually redrawn in the game through a combination of Jungian philosophy and high level physics (quantum mechanincs being the most identifiable). It really is fascinating and, like i said, no game deals with religion more directly than these.

A couple others that come to mind are Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne and SMT: Digital Devil Saga. Nocturne starts with an apocalypse and tells the story of a demi-fiend that's been chosen to recreate the world. The game is basically about this character choosing a "Reason," as he wanders across this primordial desolation with the image of his friends and even Lucifer himself attempting to manipulate the main character's final choice. While the game's characters come from various religions across history, the heavier influences revolve around the "Reasons" themselves and include Christian, Buddhist, and even Darwinian references. Digital Devil Saga is actual a post-apocalyptic setting and story based around concepts from Hinduism.

These games focus more on religions that are still practiced. As for religions that aren't presently being practiced (as far as I know), there are plenty of games based on Greek mythology (GoW, Rise of the Argonauts), Norse mythology (Viking, Too Human), etc. Those are much easier to find. In general, it seems like a lot of game developers don't want to touch modern religions (especially Islam), and I can't really blame them.

Avatar image for A_Falcies_Fancy
A_Falcies_Fancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 A_Falcies_Fancy
Member since 2010 • 326 Posts
As far as Christianity is concerned, I think you mentioned the best example when you said FFX. Not only does it comment heavily on sin with...well...Sin, but it satirizes the entire religion. I could seriously write a college thesis on that game's plot because it is sooooo rich. Everywhere you look its THICK with images, some, not many, even carry over to X-2. For instance, Wakka, symbol of blind religious faith and pretty much the paradigm of the Spira citizenry, marries LuLu, a black mage/witch. Shows the demise of blind faith and the coming of reason and acceptance. The best symbolic part of X, imo, is the battle with Yunalesca, the mother goddess, where Wakka is very frightened and weary as to whether their cause is just. I mean, the entire concept of the beast Sin paints Yu Yevon, the maker, to be identical to the Christian "God", and what do they do? They kill his ass. Awesomeness ftw.
dante5395

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 dante5395
Member since 2009 • 252 Posts

I found black & white 1 and 2 to portray God

Avatar image for SteveTabernacle
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 SteveTabernacle
Member since 2010 • 2584 Posts
As far as Christianity is concerned, I think you mentioned the best example when you said FFX. Not only does it comment heavily on sin with...well...Sin, but it satirizes the entire religion. I could seriously write a college thesis on that game's plot because it is sooooo rich. Everywhere you look its THICK with images, some, not many, even carry over to X-2. For instance, Wakka, symbol of blind religious faith and pretty much the paradigm of the Spira citizenry, marries LuLu, a black mage/witch. Shows the demise of blind faith and the coming of reason and acceptance. The best symbolic part of X, imo, is the battle with Yunalesca, the mother goddess, where Wakka is very frightened and weary as to whether their cause is just. I mean, the entire concept of the beast Sin paints Yu Yevon, the maker, to be identical to the Christian "God", and what do they do? They kill his ass. Awesomeness ftw.A_Falcies_Fancy
Gotta agree with this. Geez, you're making me want to go buy another PS2 and a copy of this.
Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#22 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
Final Fantasy X indeed makes a good point towards religion in general. although many RPGs in general will try and implement some sort of religion in the game. It's a good analogy for any game to use, to create more depth and subplots, if not main plots.
Avatar image for Xenogears_Rocks
Xenogears_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Xenogears_Rocks
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts

FF X Xenogears Silent Hill 3 a little bit um and thats all i can think of. Xenogears is a heavly religion based game

TheGrayEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheGrayEye
Member since 2006 • 2579 Posts

The Assassin's Creed games deal with real-world religion, and the men who use it to control the minds of the population. The second game also deals with Adam and Eve, and "the truth" behind God. It's mainly a conspiracy that revolves around religion, I'm not sure if that's exactly what you're looking for though...

Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

Just remember, if God has a speaking role, you are probably going to have to murder him.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 muthsera666
First thing I would suggest would be to get into reading about Zoroastrianism first, then going on to play the game, so its easier to pick up on all the subtle things they use in imagery and story-telling. I have to admit, I've gone through the game twice now, have considered writing a critical analysis of the game in relation to Zoroastrianism, and still haven't thought of everything I want to talk about yet. And probably need to play it again.foxhound_fox
That sounds awesome!
Avatar image for SteveTabernacle
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 SteveTabernacle
Member since 2010 • 2584 Posts

Just remember, if God has a speaking role, you are probably going to have to murder him.

AtomicTangerine
Ha! Too true.
JAHBU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 JAHBU
Member since 2008 • 127 Posts

Yeah in Final Fantasy 13the main enemy is basically the Pope! It seems like there are a lot of games that challanges the whole concept of God and religion.

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#29 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts
I'm surprised nobody has said Dante's Inferno.
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 muthsera666
I'm surprised nobody has said Dante's Inferno.Gammit10
Despite its obvious nature, I honestly hadn't even thought of it, lol.
SkylinePigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SkylinePigeon
Member since 2005 • 2625 Posts
You could also try Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem for the Gamecube. The story is great, and about a fourth of the game takes place in a church. One of the main characters is a monk. Although it has more to do with the occult than religion, its religious context adds an interesting dimension.
Ravirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 Ravirr
Member since 2004 • 7931 Posts

The idea of going against religion/God is a very popular idea/plot line for a lot of JRPG's. All of the mentioned and you can add in.

Star Ocean : Till the End of Time

Infinite Undiscovery

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

Xenogears should probably be at the top of your list. Xenosaga is great, but it uses Christian mythology in a way that the characters it refer to only act as mystical symbols and it pays no attention to accuracy for the Christian legends it refers to. So it might not be the best choice.

gashoe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#34 gashoe13
Member since 2007 • 511 Posts

God of War.... duh. Name says enough... talks all about Greek Gods.

Halo references the Christian God quite a lot. The soundtrack even does. On a Pale Horse references a verse in Revelation.

The Witcher talks a bit in the beginning about a church leader who's actually kind of insane sending you off on a mission to call for their god.

And of course, Oblivion. There's so much stuff about gods!

Mn7os_E22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Mn7os_E22
Member since 2010 • 319 Posts

surprised no one mentioned Shin Megami Tensei

Got_to_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Got_to_go
Member since 2009 • 2036 Posts
Castlevania Symphony of the Night had this gem. "You steal mens souls and make them your slaves!" "Perhaps the same could be said of all religions." "Your words are as empty as your soul! Mankind ill needs a savior such as you!" BOOM! Hard hitting social commentary!
Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 had minor religious elements. [spoiler] Thane Krios worships a small pantheon of gods. The entire Hanar race worships the Protheans. The (heretic) geth, interestingly, have a sort of religious reverence for the Reapers. [/spoiler]
thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts

Dante's Inferno made many references to Christian beliefs, especially on hell and salvation.

Something I noticed in the game is how it avoided referring to the "heretics" as Muslims which the Crusaders are fighting and it avoided making reference to Muhammad and Ali, as the original epic put them in hell among the "Sowers of Discord."Perhaps this is done to prevent any controversies the game will have with Muslims.

However, a mosque was mentioned once in the game in the City of Dis.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Castlevania Symphony of the Night had this gem. "You steal mens souls and make them your slaves!" "Perhaps the same could be said of all religions." "Your words are as empty as your soul! Mankind ill needs a savior such as you!" BOOM! Hard hitting social commentary!Got_to_go

*tosses wine glass to floor*

WHAT IS A MAN!? Nothing but a miserable little pile of secrets... but enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#40 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
Clive Barker's Jericho deals with God creating a being before creating Adam and Eve and that God created such a powerful being that he couldn't detroy it, only lock it away in another dimension. Ever so often this Firstborn is able to manipulate mankind to do horrible acts in attempts to free it (nazi germany, the crusades, the Iraq war...) Many people dismiss Morrowind's story as fairly weak because of the freedom and no forceful direction but what i gather is this. The dwarves created some mighty artifacts and were in the process of inventing a way to create life. a champion of the elve, Indoril Nerevar, led a war against the dwarves and before the end of the battle, the dwarves mysteriously disappeared form the fact of the earth. Upon finding what the dwarves were creating, Indoril left a person Dagoth Ur to watch over the artifacts while he figured out what to do with them. Here is where the story splits... The tribunal (3 demigods in the game) state they swore never to use the artifacts and when Nerevar went back to seal off the items, Dagoth Ur was driven mad by the power of the items and killed Indoril. his advisors then used the items to defeat Dagoth Ur and became demi gods in the process. The actualy story may be that the three advisors planned on using the tools and killed Indoril themselves. either way one of their Gods cursed the whole race with red eyes and dark gray skin. The character in Morrowind turns out to be the ressurection of Indoril and must past numerous tests to be able to kill Dagoth Ur in the end
The1337Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 The1337Gamer
Member since 2010 • 53 Posts

I think Doom 3 is the "Hell House" of video games.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 muthsera666
Morrowind loresmerlus
Add to that the mystery of the disappearance of the Dwemer, the conversations with Vivec and the goddess in Tribunal. And the god in Bloodmoon.