Games need better story and writing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nirogol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#2 Nirogol
Member since 2015 • 511 Posts

In general i think yes...good story can enhance game, make it better, more complete, stronger connection to the game itself and make the game more memorable to the gamer.

It can't make bad game to be good!

Gluesticky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Gluesticky
Member since 2015 • 33 Posts

Maybe watch a movie or read a book.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#4 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

A lot of games have great stories nowadays. But they do need to try harder.

1963Cougar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5 1963Cougar
Member since 2014 • 104 Posts

@nirogol: I agree with you. Not everyone or every game needs to be or have MP in it. Brother in Arms was a very well written game with alot of actual true stories being told. They could do the same style of game the the engines of COD, Battlefield and make a truly immersing single player game covering real life battles that have happened over the past decade. Its not that i dont like the MP games, just feel like the single player side doesnt get paid enough attention nor extra DLC like the MP side does. If you can add maps and other weapons to MP you should be able to create or add more depth to the campaign side as well.

csward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 csward
Member since 2005 • 2155 Posts

@nirogol: I don't know about that. I've played plenty of games that I didn't care for to find out how the story progresses. Not so much in modern times, but back in the SNES days I played many RPGs for story over gameplay. In my opinion the Dragon Warrior franchise is a good example of this. The gameplay is archaic, but the dialog and story are usually at least funny.

LA Noire is another example in some cases - I often skipped the car chase scenes and used the taxi to get around. I did enjoy the exploration and detective game play though.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69990 Posts
@gluesticky said:

Indeed. The need for better stories has lead to more game watching than playing and I am not fine with that.

billydao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By billydao
Member since 2015 • 16 Posts

My biggest gripe with most games is the terrible dialogue in them. There's so much cheese that my lactose intolerant body will have explosive diarrhoea. Story driven games could def use some better scripts.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

It will never happen. Being a game hurt the story telling. Being interactive hurt the story telling.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#10 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

A game with good gameplay and poor story is always forgiven, a game with a great story and bad gameplay isn't even played.

ps3hdalltime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 ps3hdalltime
Member since 2012 • 427 Posts
@mastermetal777 said:

A lot of games have great stories nowadays. But they do need to try harder.

This. Completely agree with this.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#12 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

@1963cougar: As long as MP sells games, it's gonna keep being added in.

Yoshi9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13  Edited By Yoshi9000
Member since 2010 • 479 Posts

Better writing is a plus, for sure, but I think games need to do a better job at combining story with gameplay. Bioshock does this really well, albeit it is lacking in its writing and plot. Same with Portal.

Games like Hotel Dusk, Undertale, and NIER all have exceptional writing, especially when it comes to characterization, but they lack in fluid gameplay and story connection that bioshock and portal shine with.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7326 Posts

@Pedro said:
@gluesticky said:

Indeed. The need for better stories has lead to more game watching than playing and I am not fine with that.

Yeah, I think better storytelling in video games actually means less cutscenes and dialogue and more environmental visual cues. Limbo, Ico and Super Metroid are examples of great video game storytelling. Show, as opposed to tell. If a game must tell a story, use the System Shock/Metroid Prime 1 method of having old files or computer readouts that the player must actively search for. This at least allows you to spell out what is happening without taking control away from the player.

davdev17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 davdev17
Member since 2015 • 35 Posts

The story is what I love most about games.

Berserker1_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 Berserker1_5
Member since 2007 • 1967 Posts

Most games tend to have good stories. The problem is, the sequels tend to start recycling the same material. The problem is, i'm using the word "recycling" very loosely. In reality, it feels more of a copy paste. A good example of this is Assassin's Creed.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 so_hai

Video games would never have come to be if story was ever necessary. It isn't, and it's only ever optional. It can never carry bad gameplay.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44344 Posts

I generally enjoy the stories in most games but I guess I wouldn't be opposed to them getting 'better' however that can be fairly subjective though.

Berserker1_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 Berserker1_5
Member since 2007 • 1967 Posts

@so_hai said:

Video games would never have come to be if story was ever necessary. It isn't, and it's only ever optional. It can never carry bad gameplay.

While true, you can't deny that some games are totally carried by a strong core story and the narrative. It's one of the reason why I still remember FFX. The entire start of the game, "Listen to my story, it maybe our last chance"

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By so_hai

@Berserker1_5 said:
@so_hai said:

While true, you can't deny that some games are totally carried by a strong core story and the narrative. It's one of the reason why I still remember FFX. The entire start of the game, "Listen to my story, it maybe our last chance"

Yes - it was great but you still need the gameplay mechanics and exploration etc. before the story.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

@Berserker1_5 said:
@so_hai said:

THere is a different between a game and a interactive story. No matter how good the story if the game play suck then the game is never that good. Look at FFX the story is not good but it a good game because it has good game play.

Games are bound to the game play and that limit what stories can be told. If the stories is more interactive then that even worse.

To put it in other words the nature of games hinder story telling.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#23 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

I think it can work but it has to be one hell of a story.
I'm on the gameplay train as much as the next guy, in fact in the overall scheme of things I think its one of the least important aspects (for the vast majority of games), but there are clearly some games I played through all the way just because the story was either very well written, told in an unconventional way or had a great narrative hook