Gameplay or story?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tanya_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Tanya_19
Member since 2009 • 396 Posts
Whats more important to you? Will you give up on good gameplay if the story bad? I never cared about the story in video games because i think that a video game is not a story telling media. Im also fine with "a bunch of aliens came to earth lets fight them" kind of story. A story its like a bonus for me, but its far from a "must" in video games for me. How about you?
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#2 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

Whats more important to you? Will you give up on good gameplay if the story bad? I never cared about the story in video games because i think that a video game is not a story telling media. Im also fine with "a bunch of aliens came to earth lets fight them" kind of story. A story its like a bonus for me, but its far from a "must" in video games for me. How about you?Tanya_19

I think story edges it for me. I think video games are a substitude for movies to a certain extend and a good and engaging story and presentatioj is what keeps me in front of the TV/PC. Of course, i am a primarily offline gamer.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#3 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14421 Posts

Gameplay. Why would you play through a good story if the game is boring to play?

knightseason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 knightseason
Member since 2006 • 1260 Posts

All depends on the game, if its an RPG then it has to have a good story to keep me interested. If its just a pure action game then the less story the better.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#5 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I like to have a good story, but gameplay is more important, depending on the genre. However, if the game has both good gameplay and good story, it's an added bonus.

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
Gameplay. I can live with games having a bad story or no story.
thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thetruespin
Member since 2008 • 3256 Posts
Depends on the game. Some games have no story but are still great. Generally I prefer great gameplay mechanics over a good story. To be honest, most games fail miserably at maintaining a decent narrative.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

It depend about the game. It should have good game play and story but what is the focus should be different base on what the game should be.

A game with poor game play is not a game that is worth replaying.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

Gameplay of course. I'm not going to be bored as hell while the gameplay is what it's ALL ABOUT.

icyseanfitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 icyseanfitz
Member since 2006 • 2493 Posts

story, its a pity there arnt many games that have good stories though

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I say both. When they come together it make something better that the sum of its parts.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Like some said, depends. What my mood is in.

Sometimes i'm in the mood of playing Serious Sam, Doom2 with mods or Super Mario World, or other games with laughably simplistic stories but fantastic gameplay. And sometimes i'm in the mood of a good story & good gameplay, like Planescape, Max Payne or The Longest Journey.

That's the beauty of variety..

yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
I think a good story will usually trump a worse gameplay for me, although there are limitations to this. If the game is absolutely terrible to play, then I won't bother going through the story.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

In a story-driven game, the story is an exceptionally important element. In a gameplay-driven game (i.e. Super Mario Galaxy 2) the story is non-relevant. Whether it even has one means nothing to the quality of the game.

But in a story-driven game like Batman: Arkham Asylum, the dialogue, the plot direction and the character design are all essential elements ALONG WITH the gameplay. I don't understand why everyone always talks about it being one or the other... for some games it doesn't matter, and for others, both are entirely necessary.

Shadow-Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Shadow-Elite
Member since 2007 • 18289 Posts
Gameplay. That's why you get the game. To PLAY the GAME.
skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 skooks
Member since 2006 • 1411 Posts
[QUOTE="Shadow-Elite"]Gameplay. That's why you get the game. To PLAY the GAME.

This, always this.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#17 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
definitely a good story. Good stories in games are so rare, its always nice when something like Alan Wake comes along.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
But in a story-driven game like Batman: Arkham Asylum, the dialogue, the plot direction and the character design are all essential elements ALONG WITH the gameplay. I don't understand why everyone always talks about it being one or the other... for some games it doesn't matter, and for others, both are entirely necessary.foxhound_fox
What he said. :) I doubt anyone has ever played PuzzleQuest for the story... on the other hand, a lot of the criticism of Dragon Age has been of the story and narrative.
Nooberman2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nooberman2k
Member since 2010 • 449 Posts
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]But in a story-driven game like Batman: Arkham Asylum, the dialogue, the plot direction and the character design are all essential elements ALONG WITH the gameplay. I don't understand why everyone always talks about it being one or the other... for some games it doesn't matter, and for others, both are entirely necessary.ChiliDragon
What he said. :) I doubt anyone has ever played PuzzleQuest for the story... on the other hand, a lot of the criticism of Dragon Age has been of the story and narrative.

Absolutely. Is it too much to ask for both?
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
Gameplay - there are plenty of large sandbox styIe games which I can enjoy for many hours just exploring and doing my own thing, completely independent of the story.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
Absolutely. Is it too much to ask for both?Nooberman2k
I don't think so. I wish all game developers agreed with me. :(
mvirata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 mvirata
Member since 2003 • 342 Posts

Great question. They both compliment each other but for games you have to have great gameplay. I have bought games that have great gameplay and a crappy story and vice versa. I can forgive the ones that have great gameplay. The ones with a good story and crappy gameplay make me feel ripped off.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#23 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"][QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]But in a story-driven game like Batman: Arkham Asylum, the dialogue, the plot direction and the character design are all essential elements ALONG WITH the gameplay. I don't understand why everyone always talks about it being one or the other... for some games it doesn't matter, and for others, both are entirely necessary.Nooberman2k

I'm getting on this bandwagon. I'll also add that in some games storytelling is woven directly into the gameplay making one indiscernible from the other.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#24 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts
Story, story, story, STORY and more STORY. A good, or at least a decent, story is close to mandatory for me to enjoy a game. It's largely why the RPG genre is light years ahead of any other genre in terms of my favorites.
Beard_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Beard_
Member since 2010 • 1066 Posts

Gameplay. For a long time I used to think that story was more important to me than gameplay, but looking back I realize that this isn't true. On first playthrough of a game story is still the most important element of the mix, but on subsequent playthroughs I quickly stop caring about story and gameplay becomes extremely important. Combine this with the fact that I really like playing games multiple times to flesh out the depth in the gameplay elements, and the answer becomes obvious.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#26 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

It really just depends on the genre. For instance, most RPG's need a decent enough story to work, because those are, by nature, story driven games. However, others, like Mario, really could have no story at all (just look at Scribblenauts) and still be great. So, ultimatley, this is too general of a question, because it depends on the genre.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#27 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

What's a game if it's not fun to play? The story is a part of some games, but if the gameplay isn't good, I'll just read the story on Gamefaqs or watch videos online.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Gameplay.

I'd prefer for a videogame to have a good story and a good gameplay. But if I've gotta pick one or the other, I'm gonna choose gameplay nearly every time. Particularly when so few videogames are even capable of crafting a story that's worth my time.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#29 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Not sure why it has to be black and white, but in terms of priority... Gameplay or I and everyone else listing 'story' may as well just play random adventure games.

For me it all comes down to the storytelling rather than the story in itself and how it is woven through your interaction though the game.

Fundamentally good stories are rare though, I cant deny that games like Dreamfall, Overclocked, Hotel Dusk and Black Mirror stand out.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#30 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts
Gameplay will always be more important imo. It's the basis that all video games were originaly founded upon afterall. A game doesn't exactly need a story to be truly great. Granted there are a few games that have managed to be memorable regardless of their horrific gameplay. Deadly Premonition comes to mind.
orion_52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 orion_52
Member since 2008 • 595 Posts

Always, always gameplay for me. If there is great gameplay I won't care about story for the most part (see the Mario series). RPG's are an exception.

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

Easily good gameplay. Look at Vanquish, Just Cause 2, two of the most fun games IMO to come out and half of the cutscenes I had my headphones on because the story was pointless.

Also GOW 3 had a mediocore story and its my favorite game of all time. The gameplay was amazing.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#33 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
in most of my favorite games, the story is told through gameplay. it weakens both when developers segment a portion of time for taking in the story and a portion of time for playing a game in which the mechanics are separate. video games greatest strength is interaction and that should be the focus of how the story is communicated.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts
I used to believe games were capable of delivering a narrative that paralleled movies and novels, but then I changed mt mind. Not only do I now believe games are an inferior medium for storytelling and development due to their dynamic nature, but I really don't want stories in my games anymore, period. So my answer is: gameplay, absolutely and without question.
AndromedasWake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 AndromedasWake
Member since 2010 • 256 Posts
A rather large amount of games need no story at all. A great game play engine can get me past a mediocre story in a game that does have it though. (prime example being Grandia 2) But bad game play can make me incapable of continuing to play a game, even if the story is great. (prime example being Suikoden 3) Obviously, I'd prefer a game excel in both when possible, but given a choice between the two, I'll take minimal or no story and great game play.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Gameplay first and formost, without a gameplay you find fun then it doesn't matter if the story is great, Graphics are superb and so on. Story comes on a second place for me.
ubpoker123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ubpoker123
Member since 2007 • 877 Posts

In a story-driven game, the story is an exceptionally important element. In a gameplay-driven game (i.e. Super Mario Galaxy 2) the story is non-relevant. Whether it even has one means nothing to the quality of the game.

But in a story-driven game like Batman: Arkham Asylum, the dialogue, the plot direction and the character design are all essential elements ALONG WITH the gameplay. I don't understand why everyone always talks about it being one or the other... for some games it doesn't matter, and for others, both are entirely necessary.

foxhound_fox
This makes alot of sense right here, and a perfect example with Batman, with that being said I am gonna go with the story being more important to me, of course this can change for me though.
rudebooy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 rudebooy
Member since 2011 • 87 Posts
Both of them are important
KeredsBlaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 KeredsBlaze
Member since 2010 • 2049 Posts
story matters more to me
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

[QUOTE="Nooberman2k"][QUOTE="ChiliDragon"] What he said. :) I doubt anyone has ever played PuzzleQuest for the story... on the other hand, a lot of the criticism of Dragon Age has been of the story and narrative.UpInFlames

I'm getting on this bandwagon. I'll also add that in some games storytelling is woven directly into the gameplay making one indiscernible from the other.

I too am jumping on this bandwagon. RSE was able to tell a good story with R6 and RS along with GR. I can tell they changed after they were bought by Ubi and games started featuring the kill everything that moves type of gameplay. Games can have both with gameplay helping to tell the story as you the player become part of it.

PlayBox39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 PlayBox39
Member since 2007 • 420 Posts

Gameplay all the way.

Story is important but not more important than the gameplay.

spaceninja818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 spaceninja818
Member since 2009 • 425 Posts

Depends on the type of game I'm playing. If it's an RPG then story. Anything else probably gameplay.

T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts

as much as i like both im going with gameplay. story is awesome to have esp if the game has great gameplay as well like UC2. but some games are great even without much story such as counter strike.

icyseanfitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 icyseanfitz
Member since 2006 • 2493 Posts

in my opinion games had better stories 10 years ago (due to the fact that the hardware was limited in what it could do visually etc. so devs compensated with a good naritive) a lot of gamers havnt even played a game with a truly good story