Gamecube Recommendation Thread #3 - Advice for Cubers on Games and Hardware -

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#151 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21409 Posts
Isn't there alot of other GC games that can be recommended on that list?
SSBMFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 97

#152 SSBMFighter
Member since 2005 • 3797 Posts
finally got my copy of Rogue Squad 2
shichiru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#153 shichiru
Member since 2005 • 168 Posts
Is there another way to make use of the hd-tv without those cables?
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#154 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
Is there another way to make use of the hd-tv without those cables?shichiru
Nope, S-Video won't do it.
MrAran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#155 MrAran
Member since 2005 • 4066 Posts
Why isn't sunshine recommended?

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 MAILER_DAEMON
Why isn't sunshine recommended?
MrAran
Many have asked, so I'll finally answer. The simple fact is that the game is great, but it's not one of the GC's standout games. It had camera problems, and is just "missing" something that other Mario platformers, including Super Mario 64, had. Super Mario Galaxy may fix these, but Super Mario Sunshine just has too many things that hold it back from being a "must have" game.
dragonball3900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 dragonball3900
Member since 2005 • 8511 Posts

Isnt Prince Of Persia Warrior Within rated M?

ESRB says M.     http://www.esrb.org/index-js.jsp

And Gamespots Warrior Within page has it as M aswell.   http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/action/princeofpersia2/index.html

I could be wrong, but im seeing it as M.

Optusnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#158 Optusnet
Member since 2003 • 11065 Posts

I definitely think Mortal Kombat Deception, Metal Arms and Super Mario Strikers should be on that list.MKD is a great fighting game, Metal Arms are WAAAAAAAY underrated and Strikers has some of the best multiplayer on Cube.

boneseller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 boneseller
Member since 2004 • 138 Posts

Mortal Kombat: Deception, a most definite, but metal arms and super mario strikers are ok

noonan898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 noonan898
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
noonan898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 noonan898
boneseller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 boneseller
GunnerVIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 GunnerVIII
Member since 2006 • 4135 Posts
Very Nice reccomendations, those games are all perfect.
Boni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#164 Boni
Member since 2005 • 921 Posts
[QUOTE="GunnerVIII"]Very Nice reccomendations, those games are all perfect.

i agree
air_wolf_cubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#165 air_wolf_cubed
Member since 2004 • 10233 Posts
luigi's mansion, mario sunshine, and mario golf should be on that list but great list nonetheless
jumpman14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 jumpman14
Member since 2006 • 62 Posts

I want to get an RPG for my Cube, but I don't know which one. I'm new to RPG's and I really like The Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermillion for the PSP. If you haven't played it, it's turn based and you can wander around a massive world and the likes doing quests for people while trying to find your sister who was abducted 8 years before. It has a really good story. So is there anything like this on the Cube? I was thinking maybe Tales of Symphonia but I want to know if it's similar to LoH before I get it or any other RPG. Thanks for the help. :)Sadistic_Grunt

Definately get Fire Emblem Path of Radience.  Its a turn based game and has tons of replay value. Buy it.

boneseller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 boneseller
what r some good first person shooters  for the gamecube
TooStoned420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 TooStoned420
Member since 2005 • 463 Posts

Was  The Incredible Hulk Ultimate Destruction any good? and Where do i find this game ?I've been looking and its in none of the game stores

Avatar image for HyperMetaDragon
HyperMetaDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#169 HyperMetaDragon
Member since 2006 • 5345 Posts
Good job on the improvements.
drekula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 drekula
Member since 2006 • 1152 Posts
You can't forget Tony Hawk Undeground.  The game with ultimate replayability.
Dark_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 Dark_Ride
Member since 2004 • 32 Posts
Great thread. Made me buy a GameCube and helped me decide what games to get.

Thanks !
Envig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 Envig
Member since 2004 • 819 Posts
Dang, i want many of those games. Especially that Megaman anniversary.. :)
mbeacom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#173 mbeacom
As the topic mentioned, both Timesplitters titles are good FPS's.  Also, some people don't call them FPS but if you haven't played the Metroid Prime series, you really should. They are great games.  Not a PURE FPS but super fun all the same.  I also really liked Medal of Honer Frontline and Call of Duty.  Both are WWII theme FPSs.  This is by no means all of them but these 6 games should keep you busy for a while.
EvanO_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 EvanO_O
Member since 2004 • 1424 Posts

Dang, i want many of those games. Especially that Megaman anniversary.. :)
Envig

All 6 original NES mega man games get repetitive, simply from the fact that they're all the same games, right down to the levels.  I really wanted the X games to be packed with the game, to increase the overall value, but all you get are those 6 games, 7(which isn't really that much fun) and 8(by far thge best game in the damn package).  But yeah, I would get the game solemly for 8...and def for 2.  The rest aren't worth playing, unless it's for nastalgic purposes.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 MAILER_DAEMON

[QUOTE="Envig"]Dang, i want many of those games. Especially that Megaman anniversary.. :)
EvanO_O

All 6 original NES mega man games get repetitive, simply from the fact that they're all the same games, right down to the levels. I really wanted the X games to be packed with the game, to increase the overall value, but all you get are those 6 games, 7(which isn't really that much fun) and 8(by far thge best game in the damn package). But yeah, I would get the game solemly for 8...and def for 2. The rest aren't worth playing, unless it's for nastalgic purposes.

Hm. 8 is my least favorite Mega Man game, period, and I thought they did a terrible job with 7 in MMAC. 2, 3, and 5 are my favorite NES Mega Man games. By the way, you know that there's a Mega Man X Collection, right? That's why they didn't release the X games in that package...
watashinicksan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 watashinicksan
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
How about we add Chibi Robo to that list? very underrated imo
dragonball3900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 dragonball3900
Member since 2005 • 8511 Posts
How about we add Chibi Robo to that list? very underrated imowatashinicksan
Chibi Robo was an alright game, but I wouldnt reccomend it next to many of the games on that list.
ShenlongBo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#178 ShenlongBo
Member since 2004 • 3800 Posts

1 - Smash is not a fighting game.  I know it's hard to classify it any other way, but I just wanted to point this out.

2 - Where are Super Mario Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion?

That is all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c25ed127ff1d
deactivated-5c25ed127ff1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 deactivated-5c25ed127ff1d
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts
*snip*
Component Video Cable, no longer sold at Nintendo's store.
If you have an HDTV, this will get you the best possible picture and will also enable 480p for many games. However, Nintendo recently discontinued these, so the only way to get them is through an auction site like Ebay or importing through a site like lik-sang.com, though the product is listed as "unavailable" right now. Recent Gamecubes do not have the slot for Component Cables, however. Good luck finding these, but if you have an HDTV, I can speak from personal experience that these are worth it-- MAILER_DAEMON.
godsgroovygamer
I've always wondered this and never got a difenitive answer... Too late now I guess, but still nice to know. Component video cables have an analogue signal, whereas DVI, VGA and HDMI have digital signals. Analogue signals may lead to picture distortion if they are over 5 feet, correct? The GCN boasted one analogue and one digital out. It seems like, unless you were using VGA, it would be possible to get 480p thorugh the normal output along with the L/R audio. I mean, Composite and S vid are both analogue aswell. Unfortunately my GCN does not have the digital out [lol got it for $30 off a friend brand new]. It just doesn't add up that you need a digital output for analague. It just doesn't seem like bandwidth would be an issue with the normal output...
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 MAILER_DAEMON
[QUOTE="godsgroovygamer"]*snip*
Component Video Cable, no longer sold at Nintendo's store.
If you have an HDTV, this will get you the best possible picture and will also enable 480p for many games. However, Nintendo recently discontinued these, so the only way to get them is through an auction site like Ebay or importing through a site like lik-sang.com, though the product is listed as "unavailable" right now. Recent Gamecubes do not have the slot for Component Cables, however. Good luck finding these, but if you have an HDTV, I can speak from personal experience that these are worth it-- MAILER_DAEMON.
bawkbawkboo1
I've always wondered this and never got a difenitive answer... Too late now I guess, but still nice to know. Component video cables have an analogue signal, whereas DVI, VGA and HDMI have digital signals. Analogue signals may lead to picture distortion if they are over 5 feet, correct? The GCN boasted one analogue and one digital out. It seems like, unless you were using VGA, it would be possible to get 480p thorugh the normal output along with the L/R audio. I mean, Composite and S vid are both analogue aswell. Unfortunately my GCN does not have the digital out [lol got it for $30 off a friend brand new]. It just doesn't add up that you need a digital output for analague. It just doesn't seem like bandwidth would be an issue with the normal output...

It's Nintendo's decision, not mine. I think it's a digital signal that gets converted to analog... but they're very nice component cables regardless.
JEEBUS_BOGONDO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 JEEBUS_BOGONDO
Member since 2006 • 556 Posts
great thread. I had to find at least a couple good games as a friend requested gamecube games for a birthday present. I dont keep up to speed on gamecube so this saves me from buying a crappy game from just reading the cases at the store. also if you could make it a little bit more clear on which gamecubes have the slot for component cables, I dont want to see people buying them by mistake if thier gamecube is newer.
bretthorror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#184 bretthorror
Member since 2006 • 1387 Posts
Are there any reliable third party memory cards for the GC out there? I don't feel like spending full price on an official one since I don't know how many GC I'll want to play on the Wii anyways. Seen some on Ebay for $10 or so shipped and say they use flash memory, whatever that is. Any help would be appreciated. 
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 MAILER_DAEMON
Considering Zelda: TP for the Cube, but I did not play through Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask or Wind Waker. Think I would still enjoy it regardless? Thanks in advance for your input.GMAN32X
Most likely, but as the game takes place between Majora's Mask and Wind Waker, you may do well to check out Ocarina at least. There are GC versions available at used games stores, but bear in mind that it's a port of an N64 game from 1998, so gameplay may seem a slight dated.
TheTrackStarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#187 TheTrackStarr
Member since 2006 • 69 Posts

What about adding XGRA and Metal Gears: Glitch in the System?

my review of xgra: http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/driving/xgra/player_review.html?id=384550

as for metal gears, should be a no-brainer as it's the best 3rd person shooter on gc

mrmagic2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 mrmagic2k7
Member since 2006 • 126 Posts
thank god for a true gamer giving a truly good system sum truly good props!a shame that the gc was killed b4 it had time to grow!istill support the gc, cuz u can get sum really good games for it at bargain bin prices so grab them up.just dont look past zelda tp on dec 11.looks to be the last worthwhile new title to come out for it.gc is sum overlooked hardware 4sure.
princesszelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#189 princesszelda
Member since 2003 • 6869 Posts
Now that I got my Wii I am looking to pick up some GC games that I overlooked throughout the years. I have my eye on the Pikmingames and Killer 7. Is there anything else out there that would make my collection complete
yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#190 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
Now that I got my Wii I am looking to pick up some GC games that I overlooked throughout the years. I have my eye on the Pikmingames and Killer 7. Is there anything else out there that would make my collection complete
princesszelda
You could check out the Timesplitters series, Eternal Darkness, Fire Emblem, and Skies of Arcadia Legends.
SSBMFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 97

#191 SSBMFighter
Member since 2005 • 3797 Posts
princesszelda
Pikmin is a fun RTS game that will have you playing for hours. The time limit is penlty of time(even though I finished on day 20). And if it gets boring just take all of your pikmin(not water) and through them in water or get yellow ones to pick up the bombs and blow up. Also if you get 2(Much better) there is multiplayer.
princesszelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 princesszelda
[QUOTE="princesszelda"]Now that I got my Wii I am looking to pick up some GC games that I overlooked throughout the years. I have my eye on the Pikmingames and Killer 7. Is there anything else out there that would make my collection complete
SSBMFighter
Pikmin is a fun RTS game that will have you playing for hours. The time limit is penlty of time(even though I finished on day 20). And if it gets boring just take all of your pikmin(not water) and through them in water or get yellow ones to pick up the bombs and blow up. Also if you get 2(Much better) there is multiplayer.

Thanks for the advice.....I think I am also going to pick up Luigi's mansion. I've been hearing a lot of people recommend that so hopefully I can find it.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 MAILER_DAEMON
[QUOTE="SSBMFighter"][QUOTE="princesszelda"]Now that I got my Wii I am looking to pick up some GC games that I overlooked throughout the years. I have my eye on the Pikmingames and Killer 7. Is there anything else out there that would make my collection complete
princesszelda

Thanks for the advice.....I think I am also going to pick up Luigi's mansion. I've been hearing a lot of people recommend that so hopefully I can find it.

Luigi's Mansion is one of those games that's pretty fun to play, and you'll enjoy it, but once you're done, there's not much to do.
Avatar image for Equilibrium_340
Equilibrium_340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 Equilibrium_340
Member since 2005 • 630 Posts
I'm going to buy my cousin a Cube for Christmas. Can anyone give me possible costs?
Teuvan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#195 Teuvan
Member since 2003 • 10151 Posts
I'm going to buy my cousin a Cube for Christmas. Can anyone give me possible costs?
Equilibrium_340

I got mine used at EB for $60. You could probably find a new one for under a hundred, but there's nothing wrong with getting one used...
princesszelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 princesszelda
Since I have my Wii I unplugged my Gamecube and put it away. Im starting to think about trading it in to either Gamestop or EBGames. Has anyone else traded in their 'Cube recently. How much did they give you?
Sparky-05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#197 Sparky-05
Member since 2006 • 2015 Posts
Thats a cool list, I added a bunch of those games to my wish list. Thanks.
GamerMan97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 GamerMan97
Member since 2006 • 6363 Posts
im currently playing Paper Mario: The Thousand year door and i love it!
Fallout_Girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 Fallout_Girl
Member since 2005 • 53 Posts
I'm getting some more GameCube games today; I currently have SSX Tricky, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Super Monkey Ball 2 and Soul Calibur 2. I'm planning on getting Ocarina in Time and possibly a Fire Emblem game. What else should I get?
magicmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 magicmo
Member since 2004 • 10483 Posts
Rogue Squadron II definitely. I have it and I love it!!!!