Gameboy Advance, what models Legacy Gamers should go for first. Full Detail.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shockwave-DASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Shockwave-DASH
Member since 2012 • 1093 Posts
Hello, my name is Shockwave-Dash, and you can abrv. by calling me Shockwave Dash. The hyphen makes all the difference. Today we will be going over the Gameboy Advance? Why? Because it's good (although MD or whatever his name is does not think so and locks all GBA related threads.) falling on point. The Gameboy Advance comes in 3 version. Technically 4 but it really there are 3 that actually matter. The original Gameboy Advance The Gameboy Advance Sp The Gameboy Advance micro Now here are pictures of the above in order:    Now let's get to the point of the thread, people going back to the GBA would probably want to, at least when they are first getting it or returning to it, would want to know which GBA model a person should get that works with games the best, has the durability, the battery life, the sexy looks roarr like a tiger, or other things in other sections. So let's start with the first GBA model simple known as the Gameboy Advance. First off, you can pretty much say the GBA is as long as a Gameboy color would be sideways more or less. It is probably the most improved jump in the Gaemboy line going for a 32-bit processor (although not as clear as 32-bit consoles, and a lot of games seem a tad fuzzy or blurry.) Like the Gameboy Pocket and Gameboy Color the GBA only uses 2 AA batteries, which can be around 18 hours of gameplay depending mostly on the volume or if you are playing a Video GBA cart. These carts have not been seen before or since, when they shove TV shows on a cart (which often has lower than average quality) which can take up some juice. The GBA looks a bit bland, which usually is associated with long lasting machines, however after a lot of testing I have found that the GBA cart slot where you input your games is the only real problem other than the battery pack, you will have if you were to damage the unit. the unit can take it pretty well though. With the Cart slot, some games may not run or some games may run but holding the unit a certain game might freeze the game often resulting in a buzzing sound. The screen is well protected, i would even go far as too say the most protected of all 3-4 GBA units. The shoulder buttons seem a bit, like they aren't really made to last, and may become a slight problem, but not as frequent as say the GBA models successor the DS. The start and Select buttons, which Select is still not a very frequently used feature, are on the left side. this part is mostly opinion with me actually disliking this. not because of of right handed or left handed issues, it's because they could have easily put it somewhere so it would be easier to reach with your thumbs. A slight problem with games were you want or have to use those buttons quickly. There's a nice change when the battery is low around the 30 minute mark. The green light powering the unit will change red, indicating low power. it will also dim the red light slightly as well as the end is near. Of the battery not your gameboy hahaha. THE GAMEBOY ADVANCE SP: This is the system which i believe is really the FINISHED Gameboy so to say. I also believe it sold more then the original, but i will hold that information until it is looked up. The first thing to compare is the screen and how it runs games and Videos. First off the SP can clock at a higher MHZ than the original GBA. While the SP displays less colors in character mode, the colors are more in depth. The screen also helps with the fuzz and blur problems enough that games would look more appealing. The GBA SP has a Front Light. There's a button that turns the light on or off. Which means you have more gameplay options than the original gameboy and the SP takes the lead of a previous couple consoles that had back lit screens. With the Back light on you still get around 12 hours of gameplay and maybe a few hours less with videos. However, with the light off, you have more battery life than the original GBA. On the subject of battery life, the SP does not use AA batteries, in fact, it uses a rechargeable battery. Around an hour and a half, and in some cases more, are needed for a full charge. This can be taken either way. The SP design is like a Laptop, you can close it shut for better portability, and can open it for gameplay. The buttons and shoulders are designed well although they are a bit crammed together.. Other facts include the fact that they moved the Star and Select buttons to the bottom of the of the unit, as well as the cart slot. Problems compared to the original GBA include that the model is more scratch enabled. The black color model is the only real recourse from this. The screen itself is actually very easy to crack from the inside. The outside screen is fine, but the area where they actually show the game or video? That can break pretty easy. There is an adapter for the headphones. There is not a direct slot to place you earphones. This can be a tad annoying, especially since you will need to recharge your unit, and the unit uses that slot for the headphone adaptor as well. The SP is still able to play the full BC of older Gameboy titles like the original GBA, however, it does play them better. The sound seems to sound louder when plugged into the charger as wel. GAMEBOY ADVANCE SP BACK: There is another model of the SP that has a BACK LIGHT. With the power button changing. Instead of turning the light off or on, it only turns it on "low" or "High". Offering a brighter screen for gameplay. However regardless of the setting the battery does indeed last LESS than both settings on the original SP model. otherwise, they are virtually identical However, back-lite screens do have the advantage for seeing in bright areas. GAMEBOY ADVANCE MICRO: The Micro is the smallest and sexiest, roarrr, GBA model. The first thing to note is that the MICRO DOES NOT HAVE BC. You cannot play Gameboy color or Gameboy games on it unlike the other 3 models. A lot of add-ons, such as the E-reader, and some Action replay units, and much more, are not able to be used on the unit either. But let's get more toward the good. The unit had a back-lite screen, however you can adjust the settings under certain conditions making this the most light flexible model available. It is a very compact design, and everything is spaced out fine. The Start and Select are tucked toward the bottom of the unit. Which is also where the Card slot is. You can customize the skin on your GBA Micro since it can be removed and replaced with new ones. Even your own! Although there are skins to put over your SP, and some on the SP actually do help prevent damage after dropping, or throwing, or any other action. The MICRO also has the same resolution as the other GBA units. The Micro unlike the SP comes with a Headphone slot. So it does not have that issue. But i do have a few problems with this unit. This may not be the complete list but here are the things that I noticed that may irritate users and don't work with the GBA MICRO: -You cannot play GB or GBC games. -You cannot use any link cables. So I am assuming MP gaming is completely out of the question. This would mean for PKMN, a popular GBA game, would be useless if you actually enjoy the game for the trading features or if you want all pokemon. Single player will remain in tact. But not just PKMN, MP gaming in general in ANY GAME IS USELESS. Their might be a third-party add-on, but naturally, no MP. -You cannot use it with your Gamecube. This actually cuts down some GBA/Gamecube support as well. Although that is actually not as bad as it seems since the features involving the 2 were few and not really supported. -Ereader is useless. -There is something I forgot to mention before, the GBA units have this device that many people do not know about called the NINTENDO WIRELESS Cart. This device, which I only used a few times, I never found a full working model, i might start looking again, allows you to connect with other GBAs without Link cables. So you may be thinking MP is possible. Sadly, this is not true as this unit does not support it, which is why I keep making sure you know MP IS USELESS OUT THE BOX. There may be a third-party, but good luck finding it. However, later on they did release limited quantities of GBA MICRO exclusive link cables. But those are not easy to find. Just as hard to find as the third party. -The shoulder button are abysmal. -One particularly important, at least to me, about the MICRO unit is the fact it has around a 6 hour battery life yet they cut soo much out of it. it reminds me of the PSP GO in this respect. What where they thinking? If they were then why? WHY? NOW SOME GOOD THINGS ABOUT ALL MODELS FOR THE CONCLUSION: -All models have no region lock. -The face buttons on all models are very responsive with some SLIGHT differences that do not really affect gameplay. -They have all sold over a million units (MICRO DID NOT MEET EXPECTATIONS HOWEVER IF NOT MISTAKEN BUT STILL.) -Responsive Multiplayer cables. -Have some nice features to allow some semi-3D games. -Produce much better sound when compared to the GB and GBC which where just so badly inferior in sound to the other portables technically it wasn't even fair. -All are designed well enough to sustain damage. CONCLUSION: Well i thank you for stopping buy, but now it's time to reveal the winner, and the winner that legacy gamers should go for if they want a GBA, want to collect GBA's, or want to give or suggest someone to try the system, goes to the: FRONT-LITE GBA SP  It's the best option and best GBA available. It has the best input speeds. A clear screen and color advantage toward the GBA and MICRO. A rechargeable battery unlike the GBA. A option to turn the Light off or on as opposed to always on with the MICRO and SP-BACK. Better shoulder buttons than MICRO and GBA. Better sound when charging then GBA AND MICRO. Face buttons are capital letters as opposed to the ones on the MICRO. MORE PORTABLE than GBA. More battery life then GBA and MICRO (with Micro, this still makes no sense to me. Sony where you looking at this when making the GO?) Has more gaming options then MICRO. Much more. It's the clear winner from what I have gathered. I hope this helped you choose the right GBA. Happy gaming! (C) Shockwave-DASH Notice: You can be sued in theory.
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#2 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Uhhh, I didnt read one word from that. But ya Im gonna go with the SP.

Although I have the original model. It is about 10 years old and still runs like a champ.

J-Man2244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#3 J-Man2244
Member since 2012 • 85 Posts
The SP is always my weapon of choice when talking about Game Boy games. That thing just rules.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#4 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
Micro for me. I love walking around playing GBA games on it, then when a hot chick comes up I can just throw it in my chest pocket.
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

the sp. plays gb and gbc games and frontlit/backlit. an alternative to the games is a special cart that emulates all gameboy roms and more and can be played on ds or gamecube via gbplayer. an alt to that is a program on the wii or dsi that does the same

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#8 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts
I read that entire thing, and yes, I agree, the SP is the best. [QUOTE="Dudersaper"]Micro for me. I love walking around playing GBA games on it, then when a hot chick comes up I can just throw it in my chest pocket.

:lol: Duder. <3
Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#9 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts
I read that entire thing, and yes, I agree, the SP is the best. [QUOTE="Dudersaper"]Micro for me. I love walking around playing GBA games on it, then when a hot chick comes up I can just throw it in my chest pocket.

:lol: Duder. <3
WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

The best GB in existence is the SP Backlight. All the greatness of the SP with an improved lighting system.

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#11 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
Yus, the GBA SP's AGS-101 model (the backlit one) is the best. Because DemiKids looks awesome on it, too :D
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#12 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

I have had them all except a frontlit SP (have the backlit one). GBA is my favorite system.

For feel, I like the original one. Love the shoulder buttons on it especially. Running on AA batteries has been a huge plus for me (if you are on a trip where you don't have electricity, you can bring extra batteries and game the live-long day). That said, the dark screen pretty much stinks by todays standards. You need a light to play it on an airplane when they have the lights turned out, for example. There are a few front-light solutions that work OK though. These days, I mostly use my original models as a controller when playing the games on the GC GBA player.

The nicest screen is my SP backlit model (looks way better than front lit, look up some YouTube videos). It is kind of small feeling in my hands and I am not huge into the shoulder buttons. For some reason, I really like the d-pad. It is sort of weirdly flat and in this little recession in the case and it just feels comfortable to me. The lack of headphones is a huge problem for me and because of this I never take it on trips unless I am playing an original GB/GBC game at the time. I have tried adapters and custom headphones for it and they all give me audio that is noisy enough to be bothersome. GBA audio is noisy on all devices I've used but GBA SP is the worst by a pretty big margin.

GBA Micro is really awesome. It's super easy to take on trips and just big enough to be comfortably playable. It has a headphone jack too and good clean sound (for GBA). Mine is busted and I really miss it. To be honest though, I don't much like it for action games. If I knew I was taking my Micro, I'd generally make sure to grab and RPG or other less hectically paced game.

GBA Player is another cool gadget and a very fun way to play the games when you're at home. Plus you can do exactly what Sony is advertising on the Vita just this year: play your game on a TV at home and then take it on the road from your last save point. I highly recommend this for GBA fans who have a Game Cube. As I mentioned, I like to use an original GBA as a controller for most games, esp. on some where the GC analog stick negatively affects gameplay (which is not often).

That all said, the way I play my GBA games most often is on my DS Lite. First off, I like the feel of it. The screen is a bit smaller than a SP but still very nice. The kicker for me is the sound though. The stereo speakers on a DS Lite sound about a million times better than the one speaker in any GBA model. Plus it has a headphone jack and very good battery life so it's great for taking on the road. It doesn't play GB/GBC game though is the only disadvantage. I like this enough that it has pretty much made a repurchase of a GBA Micro to replace my broken one uneccessary.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#13 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

It's all the SP. Especially the one that looks like an NES controller

Shockwave-DASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Shockwave-DASH
Well glad to see some read and agree overall the SP wins. Although the Front Light models lasts longer than the Back-lite model and has a screen that is harder to damage, but generally both SP's win. Second place is the hard one to decide. Micro has some of the things SP has light backlight and more portability but has 700% of everything cut from it while the original GBA does not have this problem. There is a light add-on for the original GBA however, which I have, although it is badly made and I broke 2 of them already.
Shockwave-DASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shockwave-DASH

Blueresident87
There's a MICRO that looks like that as well. Not really an advantage.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#16 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

[QUOTE="Blueresident87"]

Shockwave-DASH

Yea, I have that one as well but I rarely use it. There is just something cool to me about the SP.

Shockwave-DASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shockwave-DASH
[QUOTE="Blueresident87"]

[QUOTE="Shockwave-DASH"][QUOTE="Blueresident87"]

Yea, I have that one as well but I rarely use it. There is just something cool to me about the SP.

Smexy Laptop shape roar like a tiger?
gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
The SP is great overall, but at times i prefer the Micro.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#19 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Coming from a guy who had an original a long time ago, got rid of it, then bought an SP, I would say SP.

It is literally perfect for handheld gaming. comfortable to hold, highly portable since you can fold it and fit it in your pocket, great battery life (I typically get at least 10 hours before even needing to charge, and this is with a used model), back light to play in the dark... it is the ultimate handheld system IMO in terms of design.

The GBA library is rgeat as well, but I tihnk the DS has a better overall library. It's all subjective though. The design of the SP is superb.

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bigM10231
That all said, the way I play my GBA games most often is on my DS Lite. First off, I like the feel of it. The screen is a bit smaller than a SP but still very nice. The kicker for me is the sound though. The stereo speakers on a DS Lite sound about a million times better than the one speaker in any GBA model. Plus it has a headphone jack and very good battery life so it's great for taking on the road. It doesn't play GB/GBC game though is the only disadvantage. I like this enough that it has pretty much made a repurchase of a GBA Micro to replace my broken one uneccessary. logicalfrank
it can play gb and gbc games, just you need a special ds card or gba cartridge that emulates them
LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts

i like the look and feel of the original GBA

soapman72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 soapman72
Member since 2010 • 2714 Posts
Gameboy SP is the easiest model
Avatar image for Keepitoldschool
Keepitoldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 Keepitoldschool
Member since 2012 • 143 Posts
I have owned all three and have a few points. 1. The original gba was a great start I think the handheld itself looked kinda cool and it was pretty comfy to use the lack of decent lighting made it awkward though. 2. The sp in both forms was a great handheld, probably the best ever, it made the gba sexy and appealing and cool but this came at the cost of being incredibly uncomfortable to play especially over long sessions I eventually found a periphial that slipped over the sp and bulked it up and made it a lot more comfortable. The screen was simply fantastic. The sp also came in an incredibly cool shade of blue. 3. I was a big fan of the micro when it was released and still am now however it is more of a stylish redesign than a practical upgrade still very cool though. Looked awesome. For me personally the sp wins.
Keepitoldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Keepitoldschool
I have owned all three and have a few points. 1. The original gba was a great start I think the handheld itself looked kinda cool and it was pretty comfy to use the lack of decent lighting made it awkward though. 2. The sp in both forms was a great handheld, probably the best ever, it made the gba sexy and appealing and cool but this came at the cost of being incredibly uncomfortable to play especially over long sessions I eventually found a periphial that slipped over the sp and bulked it up and made it a lot more comfortable. The screen was simply fantastic. The sp also came in an incredibly cool shade of blue. 3. I was a big fan of the micro when it was released and still am now however it is more of a stylish redesign than a practical upgrade still very cool though. Looked awesome. For me personally the sp wins.
Keepitoldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Keepitoldschool
TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#26 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

For me personally, the ONLY way to play GBA games is on the NGC-GBA base attachment, so that gets my vote, hands down.

I despise gaming on a tiny little machine with a 3-4 inch screen, but being able to slap any GB, GBC or GBA game into my NGC adaptor and play them with a real paddle on the big screen was just plain epic.

I never would have gotten to enjoy stuff like "CV:Circle of the Moon", "Zelda: Minish Cap", "Metroid Zero Mission", "Golden Sun" etc if it wasn't for the GBA adaptor.

SonOfChewbacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SonOfChewbacca
Member since 2004 • 653 Posts

For me personally, the ONLY way to play GBA games is on the NGC-GBA base attachment, so that gets my vote, hands down.

I despise gaming on a tiny little machine with a 3-4 inch screen, but being able to slap any GB, GBC or GBA game into my NGC adaptor and play them with a real paddle on the big screen was just plain epic.

I never would have gotten to enjoy stuff like "CV:Circle of the Moon", "Zelda: Minish Cap", "Metroid Zero Mission", "Golden Sun" etc if it wasn't for the GBA adaptor.

TheKungFool

+1. I absolutely LOVE the Game Boy Player. Despite the GBA games' inherent low resolution, they still look great on my TV via 480p. Very sharp, very colorful.

TheSacredFlame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 TheSacredFlame
Member since 2011 • 324 Posts

I so want a Gameboy Micro, but they're expensive nowadays. Anyways, as a collector I have the original and the SP (in both black and blue).

TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TheKungFool

[QUOTE="TheKungFool"]

SonOfChewbacca

+1. I absolutely LOVE the Game Boy Player. Despite the GBA games' inherent low resolution, they still look great on my TV via 480p. Very sharp, very colorful.

that's a great point.

I too was worried at first about how good the games would look once thrown onto a larger screen, but many of them looked fantastic.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#30 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

^I never had a Game Boy Player, as I thought the games wouldn't look great on a large screen, but it seems like you guys really like it a lot.

Personally I'd go with the SP: the lighting was the perfect brightness, it came with rechargable batteries, and it felt really comfortable.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
GBA SP for sure(backlit recommended but not essential, frontlit is good enough) if going portable. I haven't played it myself but the GBA player should be a good option as well, I imagine the graphics look worse on a big screen though.
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#32 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

Even regular Game Boy games look pretty darn goood on it. There is a border around the screen but I'd say GB/GBC games look as good as NES and GBA games look as good as SNES, which is about what you'd hope for. This is a pretty good review of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW1p7AZHWHY

Probably best if you have an old standard def. TV though...

Avatar image for Sportyfamilycar
Sportyfamilycar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Sportyfamilycar
Member since 2011 • 203 Posts

NOTE*** I read nothing...but...The SP is all around the best, backlight and folds up. The original is 2nd best, no backlight but the wide layout is most comfortable.

The micro I played at a walmart on display...unless you have the hands of a toddler or girl then its not fun to hold.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
I have every model and I prefer the Game Boy Player.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 famicommander

[QUOTE="SonOfChewbacca"]

[QUOTE="TheKungFool"]

TheKungFool

that's a great point.

I too was worried at first about how good the games would look once thrown onto a larger screen, but many of them looked fantastic.

There are a few reasons for that: -Most GBA games are 2D and sprite based. Sprites scale much better than polygons. -Presuming you had it hooked up to a CRT television (as most people would have at the time), the TV can handle whatever resolution you pump through it. An LCD television can only display its native resolution, and will upscale or downscale whatever else you send it.
TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TheKungFool

I haven't played it myself but the GBA player should be a good option as well, I imagine the graphics look worse on a big screen though.Eikichi-Onizuka

nope, not the case for the mostpart.

there were a few games that looked worse, but in general, the games transfered quite well actually.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

The best GB in existence is the SP Backlight. All the greatness of the SP with an improved lighting system.

WiiCubeM1

he says the regular sp is better because it has an option to turn the light off which makes it have a original GBA mode... good luck if its not sunny :P

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 famicommander
The backlit SP has a lower refresh rate. The frontlit model is superior for gameplay.
Avatar image for Defy_The_Fallen
Defy_The_Fallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 Defy_The_Fallen
Member since 2011 • 621 Posts

I had that limited edition tribal edition SP, and it was pretty nice, got a lot of playtime using that system.

Call me strange, but I've grown accustomedto my Game Boy Micro. Although it's clearly the worst of the lot in most ways besides portability, I love it!

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bigM10231
[QUOTE="TheKungFool"]

[QUOTE="SonOfChewbacca"]

famicommander

that's a great point.

There are a few reasons for that: -Most GBA games are 2D and sprite based. Sprites scale much better than polygons. -Presuming you had it hooked up to a CRT television (as most people would have at the time), the TV can handle whatever resolution you pump through it. An LCD television can only display its native resolution, and will upscale or downscale whatever else you send it.

up to the resolution the tv can handle. i tried 1080i on an sdtv and it just went crazy