Game series that use to feel special but don't anymore?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

What game series to you that use to feel special but doesn't anymore? I'm only talking about existing franchises not dead ones.

There's a couple that come to mind for me the first would be GTA Rockstar ruined it for me by milking GTA online and ignoring the SP. No DLC no nothing just feeding them online whales and leaving the SP fans in the dust and leaving the series dormant for almost a decade now.

The second game would be Battlefield boy did this series fall from grace they tried to become COD and forgot what made them unique now they can't even come out with a finished game. The series has been bad for a long time now but they really shit the bed with 2042.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7338 Posts

Most of the annual or biannual series like CoD, Assassin's Creed, Need for Speed, Battlefield, all the sports games...

I don't think these are bad, its just hard to get excited about something so... ubiquitous? Common? Iterative? I'll try out one of these every five years or so if I see a well received entry for cheap, or free as is often the case.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11683 Posts

Silent Hill springs to mind, hasn't been anything special in a very long time, tough to count P.T. when it didn't manifest. While I would like to be optimistic, don't have faith in the current slew of projects in development.

Also, Tekken.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#5 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6104 Posts

I have to say Halo series. Been playing Halo since the first and have been anxious every time a sequel is about to come out, but since 343i have been making Halo it killed the hype for Halo, at least for me anyhoo. Halo Infinite was the best Halo 343i released, but still not expectations that Halo should have been in my opinion.

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 951 Posts

Assassin's Creed

I used to really like the first couple of games. The idea of a different historical setting each game was inovative. Hell, despite its flaws Assassin's Creed 1 felt new and fresh at the time.

Nowadays I couldnt give a f. Yearly releases and the RPG/loot focused gameplay has ruined it for me. Assassin's Creed Unity was my last AC game and I dont see myself returning to it

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21703 Posts
  • CoD
  • Battlefield
  • Halo
  • Zelda
  • Mario

Mind you, it's been 15-20 years since I last cared about some of those, but I did consider them special back then.

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#8 strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1181 Posts

Mario lost its charm for me with Mario 64. I could tolerate 64 but to me it was pretty boring, compared to previous Mario games.

Platformers are very unliked genre for me. I think Astrobot series is better than the 3D Marios.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15977 Posts

Personally Yakuza, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts and Fire Emblem.

Yakuza - I can't take the series seriously after Y4. I still enjoy them but the whole rubber bullet shit in Y4 stayed with me for a long ass time.

FF, DQ - Used to love both series but all these spin off makes it bit casual. I will buy a new mainline FF day 1 without a doubt but when I see the billion of spin off of the 2 franchise makes it bit less special.

KH - tired of waiting for KH3 which turned out pretty average.

Fire Emblem - I just love how meaty the attack animation in older FE. I stopped enjoying FE during the 3DS era I just can't with the whole waifu/kids thing and the combat animation felt floaty. I hated FE3H game is repetitive as fk.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34726 Posts

Not to sound like a negative nancy, but most, sadly.

Everything ActiBlizz.
Everything Ubisoft.
Everything EA.
Most Nintendo.

Way too much to list, so it's easier to just say that.

@girlusocrazy said:

I would also add Mario Odyssey, it didn't feel that special. I was excited in the initial ghost town but then after that I didn't find anything much to like about it. Maybe because it was more like a Kirby game than a Mario game. It had some cool fan service but the rest didn't really feel like a Mario game. It was more of Kirby steal the ability and use it to solve this puzzle.

Yeah, kinda agree. Still find Mario 64 more fun to play today than Odyssey and I'm much more likely to play that game a 15th time than Odyssey a 2nd time.

Really hope they cut the fluff for the next Mario. 1000+ moons? Why? 120 stars was just fine. Make me a challenge for each one instead of making me basically just pick them up, please. It made replaying Odyssey a chore.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts

Final Fantasy. The newest release looks okay but I feel like the series died after FFX and became something else.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6852 Posts

Agreed on KH, FF, and Tekken. Might as well through sports games in there. I used to look forward to these series' new releases, but now I hardly give them a thought. It could just be a change in preference as I age, because the newer version would be something my younger self would drool over and obsess with.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58453 Posts

Gotta agree with Battlefield.

Used to be the "thinking man's" MP shooter. Class-based, tactical...a bit slower paced than your standard online shooter, but not boringly slow. Squad mechanics were implemented well and teamwork occured organically, without the need to join something as formal as a clan with scheduled matches.

Now it's just...blech. Completely unraveled. Too try-hard. Attempted to follow trends and fads instead of sticking with their roots.

The irony is if they kept it simple and more or less the same, they wouldn't have had to spend so much on development. Far be it from me to criticize business decisions but I feel like publishers put all their eggs into one basket with a lot of IP's and in some regards they should take a "less is more" attitude. Like...not every game, even Battlefield, has to be some blockbuster.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10519 Posts

halo and gears.

who'd have guessed it might not be the best idea for ms to take two of their marqueest of marquee games, swap out the mega studios behind them for two unproven ones, and expect them to still remain marquee games

Avatar image for Alexander2cents
Alexander2cents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#17 Alexander2cents
Member since 2012 • 712 Posts

Stealth games used to be special. Then every game had stealth and they all played like Assasins creed.

FPS games used to be special. Really special. The CoD made it all the same and ruined Battlefield.

Sonic games used to be special. Then Sega stopped making exclusives. Now Sonic games arent interesting anymore.

Crash Bandicoot and Spyro after ctr stopped being special. Now they belong to every console. Even if Crash lost his soul after Naughty Dog gave licensing to Vivendi and Sierra. Crash will always feel like a playstation franchise to me.

FF after 15.

Pokemon

Almost all Sony games because they lost exclusivity. This company has no pride anymore.

Halo 343 studios

Anything by Namco Bandai including Tekken

Soulslikes

Dynasty Wariors

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#18 GNS
Member since 2015 • 923 Posts

Grand Theft Auto (granted, I found only fifth to be meh), Assassin's Creed. That's probably it from series games that I play/played.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2387 Posts

I agree with the others here, every series that series that releases a new game every year or two. Add to that now we're getting "remasters", at least a sequel had a little new content even if it was mediocre.

Avatar image for masterkiller103
Masterkiller103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20 Masterkiller103
Member since 2022 • 468 Posts

-God of War.

- Resident evil.

- Assassin's Creed.

Avatar image for masterkiller103
Masterkiller103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21 Masterkiller103
Member since 2022 • 468 Posts

@vatususreturns said:

Assassin's Creed

I used to really like the first couple of games. The idea of a different historical setting each game was inovative. Hell, despite its flaws Assassin's Creed 1 felt new and fresh at the time.

Nowadays I couldnt give a f. Yearly releases and the RPG/loot focused gameplay has ruined it for me. Assassin's Creed Unity was my last AC game and I dont see myself returning to it

Same it was destined to be ruined by the RPG type, just as every other game in my opinion, i always hated RPG games, and now it seems like the only option in gaming you got now, RPG and FIFA games.