Game Reviewer: Nintendo, Eurogamer most legit not to pay/take bribes for Reviews

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by heydoodler (25 posts) -
I thought this was interesting. Edge/PC gamer reviewer said on his twitter that Nintendo is the cleanest when it comes to not paying for review scores and Eurogamer was the most legit site. I know Gamespot was involved in that Kane and Lynch scandal when Cnet took this site over. Do you think this could have anything to do with all the negative press Nintendo gets? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=495020 https://twitter.com/RichStanton Nintendo @DuncanSkuse: @RichStanton Who was best/worst of the 3 console makers? Nintendo - flawless. Early access, no interest in the score. @MDKII: @RichStanton Any other examples of good PR youve dealt with? Eurogamer is the best IMHO @josephjuson: @RichStanton What are the best websites? "They control everything @theubermod: @RichStanton Do publishers/platform holders 'pay' for covers? In either ad spend or access. Edge gave GTA IV [10] but the review didnt @CiaranMac90: @RichStanton Just give us the worst story on Future you have and get some rest! Im genuinely amazed that nobody has picked up on the fact that GTA4 got a 9 which became Rockstars much sought-after [10] in Edge. CVG. They deliberately misquote devs, and claim its a mistake after the hits @DilutedDante: @RichStanton worst games mag/site? Rockstar, without question. @LittleJuiceBox1: @RichStanton Who were the dodgiest PRs for doing deals (review scores etc)? Yes. Future will do anything to accommodate advertisers. @LewieP: @RichStanton have you witnessed any dodgy deals? PC Gamer asked me to take some photos of something very specific. A wall of concept art. I asked permission, and did so. Valve went nuts. This wasnt approved! Do you know what PC Gamers editor, Tim Edwards, did? He denied I had ever been asked to do it. Said PCG were merely the innocent recipient. Lied, in other words. **** Yes @helloimandrew: @RichStanton do review scores in future publications sometimes magically change before it hits the self Homefront, less obviously. Most is Driv3rgate @Tim__Lane: @RichStanton game that got most obviously dodgy reviews?
#2 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
Not a surprise.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
#3 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

While I am sure there is some degree of corruption in the gaming press, it's the ineptitude that gets me most. Shlt, I thnk I could handle corruption as long as there was some glimmer of passion for the hobby in most of these lifeless husks calling themselves reviewers these days, but I think most just really don't give a shlt.

And I could totally see Nintendo taking a "we don't care what you have to say" stance with reviewers and the press -- Nintendo has made it quite clear they don't care and aren't interested in listening to anyone regarding most matters these days anyway. Which, in a way is both cool and not. It's cool because they forge their own path, shltty though it may be, and it's not just because Nintendo could be as special as they once were if they were more open to constructive criticism. Still, I like their approach far better than Microsoft's these days, which seems to be to copy shltty ideas and make them even shlttier and give out free Xbox systems to people who just happen to be reviewing their games.

And, like them or not, Nintendo is still about games first and foremost, and that's worthy of applause when you see the 360 turning into the Justin Bieber of video games.

#4 Posted by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

That becomes obvious when you look at the contrast between two of the most rehashed franchises ever: Call of Duty and Pokemon. Reviewers praise one series and reward it with high scores while bashing and penalizing the other. Guess which is which.

#5 Posted by c_rakestraw (14870 posts) -

Didn't we have this thread before? Swear I've seen that Twitter account mentioned around here...

Anyways... not surprising to see CVG brought up. They're one of the worst examples of tabloid journalism in the industry. Baffles me how people trust them. Future I guess makes sense given what happened during "Drivergate." They still forbid mention of it on their publications' forums, if I recall right. Makes me wonder if they've got something to hide. Don't think we've ever suppressed mention of Gerstmanngate around here.

I doubt bribes a common practice in the industry, though, for what it's worth. The majority knows better than to follow obviously shady practices like that. Hell, most writes say they've never been approached about one in the entirety of their careers, and that's coming from people who've been writing about games for decades! Besides, when things like this happen (GameInformer was covered in ads for Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified despite giving it a scaving review), it pretty much denounces any claims of bribes. Because really: if that were happening so often (if at all), that screengrab wouldn't exist.

While I am sure there is some degree of corruption in the gaming press, it's the ineptitude that gets me most. Shlt, I thnk I could handle corruption as long as there was some glimmer of passion for the hobby in most of these lifeless husks calling themselves reviewers these days, but I think most just really don't give a shlt.Shame-usBlackley

Eh. Folks I've talked to always seem pretty passionate about games and such. I think it's just a case where the cold tone most publications force on writers muddles that. I find it's a lot easier to see that in the press when they're actually allowed to write in their own voice without restriction.

#6 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

Not a surprise.dvader654

not a surprise no, but to blame Nintendo's scores from GS on this is kinda lame. I tend to agree with them more than IGN sometimes. I mean Skyward Sword, a 10? I don' think so :P.

But who knows. I just hope Nintendo wows me this gen.

#7 Posted by fend_oblivion (6732 posts) -
I really don't understand these twitter posts. Who's saying what to who again? :S From what I know, Eurogamer is the site that has the highest standards for reviewing.
#8 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

I really don't understand these twitter posts. Who's saying what to who again? :S From what I know, Eurogamer is the site that has the highest standards for reviewing. fend_oblivion

Someone (some Edge reviewer i guess) is saying it to the world :P. It is like an FB status.

#10 Posted by fend_oblivion (6732 posts) -
Someone (some Edge reviewer i guess) is saying it to the world :P. It is like an FB status.NaveedLife
At least a FB status is easy to understand. Tweets don't make sense to me at all :/
#12 Posted by heydoodler (25 posts) -

Didn't we have this thread before? Swear I've seen that Twitter account mentioned around here...

Anyways... not surprising to see CVG brought up. They're one of the worst examples of tabloid journalism in the industry. Baffles me how people trust them. Future I guess makes sense given what happened during "Drivergate." They still forbid mention of it on their publications' forums, if I recall right. Makes me wonder if they've got something to hide. Don't think we've ever suppressed mention of Gerstmanngate around here.

I doubt bribes a common practice in the industry, though, for what it's worth. The majority knows better than to follow obviously shady practices like that. Hell, most writes say they've never been approached about one in the entirety of their careers, and that's coming from people who've been writing about games for decades! Besides, when things like this happen (GameInformer was covered in ads for Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified despite giving it a scaving review), it pretty much denounces any claims of bribes. Because really: if that were happening so often (if at all), that screengrab wouldn't exist.

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]While I am sure there is some degree of corruption in the gaming press, it's the ineptitude that gets me most. Shlt, I thnk I could handle corruption as long as there was some glimmer of passion for the hobby in most of these lifeless husks calling themselves reviewers these days, but I think most just really don't give a shlt.c_rake

Eh. Folks I've talked to always seem pretty passionate about games and such. I think it's just a case where the cold tone most publications force on writers muddles that. I find it's a lot easier to see that in the press when they're actually allowed to write in their own voice without restriction.

Really? Remember when a bunch of GS staff left after Gertshmangate and CNET took over? This industry is pushed my advertising dollars and marketing budgets.
#13 Posted by c_rakestraw (14870 posts) -

Really? Remember when a bunch of GS staff left after Gertshmangate and CNET took over? This industry is pushed my advertising dollars and marketing budgets.heydoodler

That was the result of an idiot sales team. If I remember right, the folks respondible for that incident were fired a few months after, anyway.

Besides, do you really think someone would be stupid enough to try a stunt like that again?

#14 Posted by Venom_Raptor (6959 posts) -

Don't know. All I know is that Edge and Eurogamer are equally absymal when it comes to reviewing games.

#15 Posted by robotapple (780 posts) -
Interesting
#16 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

I don't know how I feel about Eurogamer, I think the site it's self is ok but they post those stupid lens of truth/digital foundry articles and that just scream "Fanboy Site" to me.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
#17 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

Eurogamer reviews are ok.