Game manuals- black and white or in color?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thattotally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 thattotally
Member since 2008 • 3842 Posts

Do you mind if a manual happens to be black and white or is it not a big deal?

I happen to think less of said company, even though colored manuals are really expensive.

But nothing is worse than online manuals, since they're not as accessible as ones you can hold in your hand.

Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
Nah, I haven't opened a manual in years.
StraiN-ShifTeD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 StraiN-ShifTeD
Member since 2004 • 574 Posts
I personally don't mind whether they're in color or not.. as long as they're good to follow and easy to read. :)
jks22112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#4 jks22112
Member since 2005 • 2395 Posts
If a book is full color and interesting, then I'll look through it. If its black and white and 3 pages, I won't ever check it. But really, I don't care either way. So its a weird answer.
Sacif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Sacif
Member since 2006 • 1830 Posts

I browse through game manuals on the toilet...what color they are in I could care less.

_Tobli_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 _Tobli_
Member since 2007 • 5733 Posts

I tedn to prefer the colored ones.

Sloan360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Sloan360
Member since 2009 • 1449 Posts

I would rather see them in color.

flyingsnail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 flyingsnail
Member since 2009 • 793 Posts
I don't really care, the only time I look at them is when the game is installing. After that it's back into the box never to be seen again.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Haven't touched one in years. I wouldn't mind if they went away as soon as digital distribution takes over.

rickatick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 rickatick
Member since 2009 • 936 Posts
color is great especially for game manuals that go in alot of detail
Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
I like them in color. One of my most favorite manuals is from DQVIII. Thick and full of colors!
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

I personally don't mind whether they're in color or not.. as long as they're good to follow and easy to read. :)StraiN-ShifTeD

I disagree. It's part of the total package of buying a game. If a game company cheaps out on the manual on the basis that "blah, no one really cares about the manual anyway", then chances are that that "who gives a ****" attitude is going to leak into other aspects of a game.

Some games have bad manuals, and some games have good manuals. The minimum that should be accomplished is to make the manual informative and easy-to-understand, but it's good when companies take the time and effort to go beyond the bare minimum. Throw some nice artwork in there. Use the manual as a prologue for the game, and to build up the player's anticipation for the game. That kind of thing.

Anyway, as far as black and white vs color, I don't care. As long as the manual seems to be of high quality, either way is fine. Just so long as the manual doesn't seem like a cheap and hastily put-together afterthought. I mean, damn. If you're gonna do it at all and then show it to millions of people, at least make the effort to make it seem like you actually gave a ****.

Any time I play a game, the first thing I do is skim through the manual. If that first look at the manual looks as if they didn't even try, that doesn't exactly help to build up my anticipation for the actual game.

CADMAN_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CADMAN_3
Member since 2003 • 1189 Posts

Hands down, it has to be in color. But as long as it doesn't look like that slapped it together at the last minute. Gran Turismo 1,2 had the best manuals, 3 was ok and 4 was just plain bad. GT 5 Prologue was worse.

Seiki_sands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 Seiki_sands
Member since 2003 • 1973 Posts

[QUOTE="StraiN-ShifTeD"]I personally don't mind whether they're in color or not.. as long as they're good to follow and easy to read. :)MrGeezer

I disagree. It's part of the total package of buying a game. If a game company cheaps out on the manual on the basis that "blah, no one really cares about the manual anyway", then chances are that that "who gives a ****" attitude is going to leak into other aspects of a game.

Some games have bad manuals, and some games have good manuals. The minimum that should be accomplished is to make the manual informative and easy-to-understand, but it's good when companies take the time and effort to go beyond the bare minimum. Throw some nice artwork in there. Use the manual as a prologue for the game, and to build up the player's anticipation for the game. That kind of thing.

Anyway, as far as black and white vs color, I don't care. As long as the manual seems to be of high quality, either way is fine. Just so long as the manual doesn't seem like a cheap and hastily put-together afterthought. I mean, damn. If you're gonna do it at all and then show it to millions of people, at least make the effort to make it seem like you actually gave a ****.

Any time I play a game, the first thing I do is skim through the manual. If that first look at the manual looks as if they didn't even try, that doesn't exactly help to build up my anticipation for the actual game.

In general, I prefer a nice thick color manual, full of interesting tidbits about the experience I'm going to have, or useful info like move lists, good full descriptions of items, mechanics and the like. However, I haven't noticed a qualitative difference between games with good manuals and games with almost non-existent manuals. Also, its pretty rare for a game not to introduce its mechanics in the form of an interactive tutorial nowadays, for the most part the days of turning on a game and not having a clue what to do are in the past, and good manuals for most genres are probably a thing of the past as well.

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
Well I'd always prefer a color one over a B'n'W one :)
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#16 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
I laughed when I read the title because I knew a guy when I lived in Japan that wouldn't buy a game if the manual was black and white because he thought that if they chinced out on the manual then they chinced out on the game. I would tell him how much fun i'm having with a certain game and he'd ask "How's the manual?" I prefer colored ones that are interesting and full of information but it doesn't bother me if it's colorless
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
The only time I check a manual is for fighters and RPGs. I'm 100% satisfied with a manual as long as it's legible, the information is clearly presented and my questions are answered.
CADMAN_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CADMAN_3
Member since 2003 • 1189 Posts

I think it's a lot like when you first buy a game and it has a really awesome opening. If the manual is grappy and the beginning of the game is grappy then the whole game will be greappy.

cloudmip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 cloudmip
Member since 2009 • 240 Posts

I prefer manuals how I prefer my magazines- in color. They just seem a lot nicer to read in color.

SlykReviewin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 SlykReviewin
Member since 2009 • 138 Posts
I don't really mind if they're in black and white or in color but color manuals are a bit nicer.