Game Informers Top 300 games list.

• 60 results
#1 Posted by Whyamihere44 (14 posts) -

Here's the full list of games that Game Informer will have in there top 300 games list. Feel free to point what games are missing, what games shouldn't be on there, and what games deserve different spots.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hlsB-HNh05SpaU0Au6Oh2G-ndpsvXAsOJpv8PFlJp2E/htmlview#gid=0

#3 Posted by LoganX77 (1057 posts) -

@Enragedhydra: I stopped reading once i saw AC:Brotherhood past Breath of the Wild... lmao!

#4 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (17913 posts) -

GTA V at number 4... lol. And Skyrim above Witcher 3. Hell no.

Not a great list at first sight. I'll have to have a proper look.

#6 Posted by LoganX77 (1057 posts) -

@Enragedhydra: yea i agree its pretty bad and im sorry but take Tetris off for **** sakes. Yes it was popular but the 3rd best videogame ever? Lmao...

#7 Posted by VFighter (4018 posts) -

I'm not wasting time looking at a top 300 list lol, dear god why?!?

#8 Posted by N64DD (11168 posts) -

Bioshock above Cronotrigger.

What a shit list

#9 Edited by Whyamihere44 (14 posts) -

@Enragedhydra: They're also missing Star Fox 64 and Donkey Kong Country 2 as well.

#10 Edited by RSM-HQ (7465 posts) -

Yeah I'm not clicking on that link, but based on the comments they've been happy to say how much they hate opinions. . And from the looks for this publication, rightfully so. . Mostly.

Wow that list overall is seeming bad based on the comments here, Chrono Trigger is an amazing game, though should probably be thankful it made it in lol.

@loganx77 said:

im sorry but take Tetris off for **** sakes. Yes it was popular but the 3rd best videogame ever? Lmao...

Don't agree dood, Tetris is one of the greatest games ever made. You don't have to like it, probably not your genre of interest, but it's still solid and aged like a true champion of games. Just as I'm not particularly a fan of Grand Theft Auto V, but respect what it has done for gaming, you should learn to do the same for the legendary Tetris. It's not dying, so learn to accept the best selling game of all time, even with your lack of interest.

@Enragedhydra said:

A quick look says that Skyrim is above The Witcher 3, this list just lost all credibility lol

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim was made some four years before and inspired a lot of Action RPGs to go in a different direction (well. . Oblivion did first, but that's not in question here). If you compare TW3 to TW2 you can see the cues they took from The Elder Scrolls series. Even then, yeah The Witcher 3 is a better game, I personally think Morrowind should have taken Skyrims place because that's the game showing what an Openworld Singleplayer RPG can be, and outside of combat many still dub it the best game in the series.

But the fact remains Skyrim was a big inspiration to a lot of developers working on massive Openworld RPGs. It sold really well and many developers, including CD Projekt RED, wanted a piece of that pie.

-----

Does the list have- Monster Hunter (4G or World), Resident Evil 4, Devil May Cry 3, Makai Senki Disgaea, Pac-Man (Miss/ C:DX), Ninja Gaiden Black, Bayonetta 2, or a Dark Souls game?. . . If the answer is a "no" through-out; then the list saddens me a bit but glad Tetris got high up.

@whyamihere44 said:

They're also missing Star Fox 64 and Donkey Kong Country 2 as well.

Does it have Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze?

#11 Posted by LoganX77 (1057 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: Put it on the list but top 3? No Way.

#12 Edited by RSM-HQ (7465 posts) -

@loganx77: What's your top 3 games?

Would be interested to read what you like, so much so that Tetris shouldn't even be in the top "300"

#13 Posted by LoganX77 (1057 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: I think it deserves top 300 but not top 3.

My top 3 games?? Its hard to say i would have to think about it.

#14 Edited by RSM-HQ (7465 posts) -

@loganx77: I believe your words involved removing it entirely lol.

but take Tetris off for **** sakes

But top 3 is debatable even for how much I enjoy Tetris.

I do think no other puzzle game comes close, because Tetris marries both simplicity and complexity in a seamless manner no other game has done since.

And while I enjoy quite a few puzzle games, they're flawed in a few areas relying on gimmicks, this includes the beloved Portal series.

Tetris has no gimmicks, it's a raw thinking game with time being an important factor. It also one of the first competitive scenes in gaming before Street Fighter II was even a concept. So for that alone it gets a lot of respect from me.

My top 3 games?? Its hard to say i would have to think about it

I don't have a top 3 either so don't strain yourself. Just seemed you already had a list in mind_

#15 Edited by LoganX77 (1057 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: Its hard to pick my top 3 because I do feel games have got much better. So do you pick the game based off how good it is for its time?(which is what most of these list do ). Or do you just pick the overall best games?

If I did it how most of these websites do I would probably go.

1. The Witcher 3

2. Zelda:OOT

3. Metal Gear Solid

Although BoTW is better then OOT i would have to pick OOT because of what it did for the time.

#16 Posted by warmblur (1093 posts) -

Battlefield 2 is 31 and COD4 is 7 what a joke also F.E.A.R. is not even on this list seriously?? that's insane anyways pathetic list.

#17 Edited by RSM-HQ (7465 posts) -

@loganx77:

So do you pick the game based off how good it is for its time

No, I'm only in my mid-20s, Tetris is way older than me. I just respect what it did for gaming. But when I check my games and play a few rounds of Tetris because of how much replay-value and fun it is. That's the factor I take into consideration.

I'm more of a mechanical depth Gamer. I like the raw offer of gameplay and Tetris is a raw game, no filler, and I like that. A plot is cool, if done well and necessary (as) a bonus, when I play games, gameplay has to be the priority. Fail at that, and the developer has lost my interest.

I do feel games have got much better

Hence why I mentioned in my OP Monster Hunter: World and 4G. I think the MH series in previous games had a lot of technical issues and limitations. This is more an issue with early 3D games in general.

However that doesn't automatically make new games better. A lot of new games are built around a gimmick, a hook, to grab people who would usually never play that kind of game. And in my opinion that usually results in a bad gaming experience. And that's not even going into the fact a lot of new games are not even finished when you buy them. . .

I like new and old, but gimmicks die fast and have no lasting appeal for me. If someone can only bring up a games "story" or "graphics" for example as a positive. I know it's not worth my time.

#19 Edited by RSM-HQ (7465 posts) -

@Enragedhydra: Not going to argue that statement. My post did mention I personally think TW3 is a better game. I just get why they felt Skyrim deserves the higher nod. (should be Morrowind still)

Regardless. No game developer is looking at The Witcher 3 for inspiration but everything jumped on The Elder Scrolls bandwagon when Oblivion and Skyrim sold millions. My assumption it's more of how it changed the way we view Action RPGs.

As you stated, The Witcher 3 did it all better than Skyrim. Especially in meaningful quests. But stop and think, what did it really do differently, or even unique? It's combat is something I've seen since PoP(Prince of Persia): SoT and not what I'd call better. Main praise comes from the presentation. Which I won't lie, is excellent. But that's not something developers consider for inspiration for gameplay_

Since then I've probably seen more developers chase after Dark Souls, because decent level design and excellent combat isn't what someone thinks when playing a Scrolls or Witcher game. But is something people like in games and are starting to want more.

If anything; Dark Souls should be higher up, but I don't even know if it's on the list >_> no one seemed to mention it.

With that, no discredit to what The Witcher 3 achieved. It's a beautiful, well crafted Action RPG.

*edit. Oh, didn't notice you changed your post. Now I feel bad for going in-depth with TW3 lol.

#20 Edited by RSM-HQ (7465 posts) -

@loganx77: I love the original Metal Gear Solid. Great level design and while it has its flaws, really made you think.

Without a guide; MGS is a legendary playthough.

I'm a fan of Zelda, not as big as many Nintendo fans, but still like the games. Only got Breath of the Wild recently so can't state if I like it more than Ocarina of Time. Which was further refined with the 3DS Remake.

The Witcher 3, covered plenty above (wouldn't put it over Tetris). I've got conflicting thoughts, think it's a good 'complete package' but in my experience I didn't like the gameplay or level design. Found it lacking in both areas. It's not a game I would replay. .

#21 Posted by LoganX77 (1057 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: I played through TW3 twice and i plan on doing it one more time. It is an outstanding game. Yes the graphics and story did help make it what it is(i know you dont care about that). But the sheer amount of quality content is something to behold. Each action you took in the story felt like it had consequence. But it was the quality of the many side quest that set it apart from everything else.

#22 Edited by katastrophic88 (19 posts) -

From a cursory glance, this is an exhaustive list but the ordering is all kinds of wrong. I know splitting it into categories is cumbersome, but some of these games can't be compared to others.

#23 Posted by TryIt (12791 posts) -

any of these on the list?

Space Engineers

Medieval Engineers

7 Days to Die

Imperium Galactic Survival

The Forest

Subnautica

Life is Feudal

Stranded Deep

From the Depths

Kerbal Space Program

StarMade

Another Brick in the Mall

Elite Dangerous

Cities Skylines

Planet Coaster

Kenshi

RimWorld

Hospitalize

Kingdoms

Wurm Unlimited

My Summer Car

Banished

Out of Reach

Project Highrise

#24 Edited by RSM-HQ (7465 posts) -

@loganx77: I think you assumed I don't care for story at all, and that's an over exaggeration on your part. Same with fantastic graphics, which frankly, I've played games that look better than The Witcher 3.

If someone can only bring up a games "story" or "graphics" for example as a positive

"only" this more is referring to what is basically Telltale stuff. And graphics with anything Crytek throw out, or as I prefer to call them "tech-demos" (D00M III was also a tech-demo in my view)

The Witcher 3 had quite a few things I liked about it and even gave credit. And like you a heavy part of that was the way they handled side-quests. They made side-quests. . . well fun haha. With that stated I accept TW3 as a very good game for what the developer wanted to achieve, is it the best game of all time? I really don't see how. But I'm having a conversation with someone who thinks Tetris is pretty garbage so. . . We clearly play games for vastly different reasons.

Nice chat and happy gaming_

Tetris is better :P

#25 Posted by Archangel3371 (26402 posts) -

A lot of awesome games in that list however putting Chrono Trigger way back at 16 is just wrong. Chrono Cross isn’t even in the list? WTF!? The order just seems wrong for quite a few games.

#26 Posted by Whyamihere44 (14 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: Nope. Only Donkey Kong Country 1 and Donkey Kong Arcade. Also the original Metroid is higher than Super Metroid and Metroid Prime.

#27 Posted by RSM-HQ (7465 posts) -

@whyamihere44: Well that confirms to me the list heavily reflects games that pioneered genres, over games that hold the test of time.

I can't think of a single reason why Metroid can be considered better than Super Metroid. And that's not being cruel to Metroid, it's just not as good at all.

#28 Posted by Whyamihere44 (14 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: It doesn't help that this list is missing other big games, some games shouldn't be in there, and some questionable placements. Some games are missing are Halo 3, Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door even though the original Paper Mario is on there, Bayonetta 2 and yes the first one is on there, Xenoblade Chronicles, and other games. Some games that shouldn't be on the list are Dark Souls 2, Destiny, most of the sports games, and some others. Some of questionable placements is Destiny being better than Rayman Legends, Paper Mario, The World Ends With You, Witcher 2, Shovel Knight, Persona 3, Super Mario World 2, Far Cry 3, Ori and the Blind Forest, Fire Emblem Awakening, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Super Mario Odyssey, Bayonetta, Sonic the Hedgehog, Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Silent Hill 2, Donkey Kong Country, Dragon Quest 8, Left 4 Dead, Burnout 3, Elder Scrolls 4, Crash Bandicoot Warped, Stardew Valley, Advance Wars, Gears of War 2, Rocket League, Fallout New Vegas, Super Mario RPG, and Devil May Cry 3. I understand its someone's opinion or a group of people's opinions but I don't understand why Destiny is better than all of these games.

#29 Posted by RSM-HQ (7465 posts) -

@whyamihere44: Maybe it's a bait list for views? I dunno, maybe the team actually think this list is accurate. .

Regardless I agree with you. Even though I like Dark Souls II it's not one of the best games ever made.

#30 Posted by Whyamihere44 (14 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: It comes from a "professionally" written game magazine. I'd say they just have pretty bad taste in games.

#31 Edited by Whyamihere44 (14 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: Also since nobody is answering your question that Dark Souls is on the list. It is and so is Bloodborne. Dark Souls sits at 102 and Bloodborne sits at 32. Another thing is that I thought they did put Metroid over Super Metroid but they didn't but Metroid is still really high on the list. Same with the original Legend of Zelda and it's higher than the Majora's Mask and Breath of the Wild as well.

#32 Edited by AFBrat77 (26635 posts) -

It's a decent list, everyones going to complain about something, but it's definitely better than most. I don't see Animal Crossing as better than Metroid Prime though on the Gamecube.

They should have included the Gamecube remake of the original Resident Evil instead of the original Resident Evil, because while the original RE was groundbreaking, the REmake remains the best survival horror game of all time.

#33 Posted by ArchoNils2 (10214 posts) -

Those lists are always far away from my opinion. Some of my favorite games like Disgaea or Sonic 3 (& Knuckles) aren't even in their Top 300.

#34 Edited by RSM-HQ (7465 posts) -
@AFBrat77 said:

They should have included the Gamecube remake of the original Resident Evil instead of the original Resident Evil, because while the original RE was groundbreaking, the REmake remains the best survival horror game of all time.

One of my favorite games ever, but critics will never give that game the praise it deserves, because of how old fashioned it is. I'd settle with Resident Evil 4 on the list, which to me is still a very good Resident Evil game (I know fans are split but I like it), and if noticed on new lists like this one, new players may perhaps try the Remake as well; considering you can get them bundled.

I hope Remake 2 is going well. . .

@whyamihere44 said: Dark Souls is on the list. It is and so is Bloodborne. Dark Souls sits at 102 and Bloodborne sits at 32. Another thing is that I thought they did put Metroid over Super Metroid but they didn't but Metroid is still really high on the list. Same with the original Legend of Zelda and it's higher than the Majora's Mask and Breath of the Wild as well.

I liked Bloodborne just as much as the next guy, and had it since launch, but I get the feeling that game is way over hyped. And mostly due to the fact it's a PS4 exclusive. With better graphics than the Soul games.

Chalice Dungeons are lame, Bell System is flawed (worst PvP in the Soulborne series), lack of build variety, and Arcane is a pointless stat. Most refined combat system in the series, sure. Probably third best for level design. But Dark Souls and DkSIII are better, more well balanced, and superior designed games; objectively.

Regardless. Thanks for clearly up some of the lists context. Much appreciated :)

How the original Zelda is above BotW. But Bloodborne gets shoveled over DkS is beyond me.

@ArchoNils2 said: Disgaea

#35 Posted by Jacanuk (17003 posts) -

@whyamihere44 said:

Here's the full list of games that Game Informer will have in there top 300 games list. Feel free to point what games are missing, what games shouldn't be on there, and what games deserve different spots.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hlsB-HNh05SpaU0Au6Oh2G-ndpsvXAsOJpv8PFlJp2E/htmlview#gid=0

You got a link to the actual Game Informer websites official list. Not that I don´t trust a google doc but it´s kinda shady.

#36 Posted by AFBrat77 (26635 posts) -

@RSM-HQ:

Yes, I hope REmake 2 is going well. The original is the blueprint on how to do a remake. I did like 3rd person shooter Resident Evil 4 but not as much as REmake.

#37 Posted by RSM-HQ (7465 posts) -

@AFBrat77: I'm hoping the second remake adds the hidden mode "One Dangerous Zombie"

If it happens; I hope they use Marvin.

#38 Posted by AFBrat77 (26635 posts) -

Another dissapointment from the list is neither Heroes of Might and Magic 2 nor (and especially) Heroes of Might and Magic 3, some of the greatest strategy games ever.

HOMM 3 should have placed between 100 and 150, and HOMM 2 should have been between 200 and 250. Oh well.

Again, I'm dissapointed in the placement of Metroid Prime, one of the all-time great single-player games.

#39 Edited by Whyamihere44 (14 posts) -

@Jacanuk: I understand that it does seem shady but I don't have a link to there site because you need a subscription to view it and I don't have one because they have some pretty bad opinions in my opinion, however what would I gain from posting a fake list? Also I can't even try to make this list even if I tried. If you don't believe what I posted that's fine, go buy a subscription yourself and check out it to prove me wrong if I am.

#40 Edited by MightyThor2000 (2 posts) -

It's not a very good list but these usually aren't. I get how some games might be above others like SMB 3 over world, and a link to the past over ocarina of time, but they are both like 30 spots apart. Those titles constantly flip just on top mario and zelda lists so in essence they're essentially equal yet miles apart here. The collection overall seems fine but the placements within it are off.

#41 Posted by EvSolo (43 posts) -

@Enragedhydra: Warcraft 3 is on there, and why should sports games not be in the list? They even left off one of the best baseball games ever in MVP 2005. Sports games cann absolutely be some of the best video games of all time.

#42 Posted by Jacanuk (17003 posts) -

@whyamihere44 said:

@Jacanuk: I understand that it does seem shady but I don't have a link to there site because you need a subscription to view it and I don't have one because they have some pretty bad opinions in my opinion, however what would I gain from posting a fake list? Also I can't even try to make this list even if I tried. If you don't believe what I posted that's fine, go buy a subscription yourself and check out it to prove me wrong if I am.

Not saying the list is fake, i just want to read the actual official source and perhaps see if they make some arguments as to why the game is where it is.

But if it´s behind a paywall the list is not even worth looking at.

#43 Edited by RSM-HQ (7465 posts) -
@EvSolo said:

Sports games cann absolutely be some of the best video games of all time.

Loading Video...

#44 Posted by Whyamihere44 (14 posts) -

@Jacanuk: Here's the thing from Game Informer. The first 30-40% of there list is just picture or just a very short caption with no picture just to save space and money on there magazine. I can guarantee you they did this for this magazine as well.

#45 Posted by MarkoftheSivak (198 posts) -

I was mostly hurt by the omission of Streets of Rage 2. How?

#46 Posted by outworld222 (2936 posts) -

68. Goldeneye

69. Mario kart 64

However...

Tetris number 3.

Wow number 5.

Does anyone else see how confused this list is??

Half-life @ 103?? I’m not a pc gamer anymore, but this cannot be true.

Links awakening at 216, link to the past #1??

O_o

#47 Edited by mastershake575 (8518 posts) -

lmao at final fantasy 7 being number fucking 80........

It literally sold an entire console and brought an entire genera to the USA (it's arguably a top 10 most influential game of all time).

Hell, 20 years later and people are still aggressively pursuing a remake....... (how many games have this much interest 20 years after it came out ? At the very most 5 ?)

Avatar image for storm_of_swords
#48 Edited by storm_of_swords (2475 posts) -

GTA V at #4 is laughable. It's not even the best GTA game nor the most historically important either.

And a Call of Duty game is in the top 10 yet Goldeneye 007 is way behind it at #68... WTF?

Avatar image for storm_of_swords
#49 Edited by storm_of_swords (2475 posts) -

@loganx77 said:

@Enragedhydra: yea i agree its pretty bad and im sorry but take Tetris off for **** sakes. Yes it was popular but the 3rd best videogame ever? Lmao...

I strongly disagree with you here. Out of all of the undeserving games with high spots on this list, Tetris is the one that you take issue with?

Tetris is an iconic game and there are not many games that have had a bigger impact on the video game industry than Tetris. Also, it's gameplay is brilliant in that it is simple enough for anybody to pick-up-and-play from a 5 year old kid to an 80 year old Grandma yet despite it's simplicity it also offers a strong challenge while being incredibly addicting. Plus, Tetris has also stood the test of time better than almost any other game in existence and continues to be very popular while appearing on nearly every system that can play games for nearly the past 30 years.

Tetris being in the top 3 is one of the few things on this terrible list that I can agree with and I don't see how anybody can argue against it being deserving of a top spot, let alone arguing for it being taken off the list completely.