Game industry too corporate

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts

I just like to play games and don't know much about the business behind it so correct me if I'm wrong.

After reading different articles about how mass effect 3 is being delayed so it can be changed to appeal to a "mass" market I feel that publishers are taking away the creativeness of the industry just to capitalize on sales. I like the rpg-ish slow pace feel to the shooting mechanics and now they may make fast like gears. I also read about Inafune and how when he used to work for capcom they forbade him to make nothing but sequels.( http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=157663 )

I don't know if it has always been this way, what do you think?

theSteeeeels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 theSteeeeels
Member since 2011 • 520 Posts
everything is like this using anything with a fan base to get money, wether by making crappy sequels or watering it down to appeal to casuals. sucks but nothing we can do and yes the sequels to mass effect suck and looks like me3 is following suit
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
It depends on who you are looking at. There's more small independent developers now than ever.
SuperVegeta518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SuperVegeta518
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

If a game like ME doesn't have the potential for massive sales the team behind it won't get the funding to hire great writers and voice actors or to make incredible graphics.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#5 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
It has been like this for awhile: fromt he console you buy, to the games content that's a mass product of design. That corportate/business part of the game is what makes it an 'industry'.
Avatar image for Poncho_Hachacha
Poncho_Hachacha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Poncho_Hachacha
Member since 2011 • 675 Posts

If a game like ME doesn't have the potential for massive sales the team behind it won't get the funding to hire great writers and voice actors or to make incredible graphics.

SuperVegeta518

The series, and I'm positive the final sequel as well, has more than enough potential for massive sales. The big issue is that corporate types use the argument at times to drastically simplify or "dumb down" a game's story or mechanics to make a few extra bucks here and there when the game would've been a huge success as it was.

If the issue was about being sure the product would break even, thenit wouldn't be a huge problem for many people like myself. After all, the publisher can't survive if it's publishing games at a loss. However, whenpublishers hinder developers to the point that the quality of the finished product suffers just sothey can real in even more moneyon top of analready huge pot, they're actionscan't be reasonably justified.

to answer the TC's question. I think it's been this way since gaming became an industry, but it's def getting worse with all the money that goes into making games nowadays.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

I just like to play games and don't know much about the business behind it so correct me if I'm wrong.

After reading different articles about how mass effect 3 is being delayed so it can be changed to appeal to a "mass" market I feel that publishers are taking away the creativeness of the industry just to capitalize on sales. I like the rpg-ish slow pace feel to the shooting mechanics and now they may make fast like gears. I also read about Inafune and how when he used to work for capcom they forbade him to make nothing but sequels.( http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=157663 )

I don't know if it has always been this way, what do you think?

Ghost120x

*Shakes head* Why blame the publishers? Developers like money too. Bioware has been aiming for the mass market since Jade Empire (the point at which they started aping the gameplay of popular action games) and I've never read a hint that Bioware's game designs are something forced on it by publishers.

Capcom's focus on sequels kind of sucks, but one should probably blame consumersmore than anything. In the game industry a lot more people care about franchises than care about the people behind the games, so original games are extremely risky, even if they are developed by a creator whose games are massively popular.

Lots of creators probably like to complain about producers, but its not the money of creators at risk. Taking risks with other people's money (or even losing it) is easier than losing one's own). A ****c case is Shinji Mikami, a talented creator who felt such intense admiration for Miyamoto that he decided to make five exclusive games for the GC. The GC audience never accepted his games to the extend the PS2 audience did, but Mikami didn't care, because it wasn't his money being lost. A shareholder (you know, the people who paid for Mikami's nuttiness) revolt eventually ended the deal.

KillerWabbit23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 KillerWabbit23
Member since 2009 • 3466 Posts

how mass effect 3 is being delayed so it can be changed to appeal to a "mass" market

Ghost120x

Badum tish!

but seriously, folks, it's called an industry for a reason. There are people who still make new, innovative stuff (go away, Nintendo, I'm not talking about you. Not anymore), but the sad fact is that a lot of companies are being forced to appeal to the mass market in order to stay afloat. Activision, however, is just evil. I love Dan Americh, but I hate the company he works for.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

This is why I'm such a big fan of Nintendo. They are the only real game company out there. They throw a curveball here and there, but they produce the best games.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44320 Posts
Gaming isn't a charity it costs money to make games, BIG money. Developers have to sell their ideas both to publishers and consumers. It's nice to be all creative but you still want ideas that are actually good and easy enough to make a functioning game out. Still though I think there are many developers out there that get to make the kind of games they want to make. Personally while I thoroughly enjoyed Mass Effect I was extremely impressed by the transition to ME2 plus I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with wanting to broaden your consumer base so I confident that they'll make something I'll enjoy in ME3.
Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts

Nice discussion guys I guess it's only gonna get worse when next gen rolls around. Also like carnageheart said it may be the developers that want to change their games as well.Even nintendo, as much as I enjoy their games but I guess its my fault for the constant remakes ect (ocarina of time 3d ftw)

I hope nintendo makes some new Ip's and actually bring them to the US.

planetjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 planetjumper
Member since 2010 • 638 Posts

This is why I'm such a big fan of Nintendo. They are the only real game company out there. They throw a curveball here and there, but they produce the best games.

Heirren
Nintendo only appeals to a certain crowd, i think the only developers out there actually being innovative are Valve and Blizzard, and as a publisher only Valve
ModeDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ModeDude
Member since 2009 • 1135 Posts
The game industry isn't going to last much longer with it's current model, with all the hacking and piracy going on, and things like that, it's going to eventually become quite hard to make money out of the software side.
Avatar image for _Judge_Gabranth
_Judge_Gabranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 _Judge_Gabranth
Member since 2006 • 257 Posts

Video games are just becoming to big for their own good. It just costs so much money to make games these days they have to sell a ton of copies to make a profit. Socom was killed as far as im concerned becuase the developers tried to apeal to a larger audeince. Same thing with resistance 2 the first one was great but they tried to add a bunch of crap that wasnt needed. We have also seen a ton of sequals becuase developers cant afford to take risks on new ips.I just hope next gen consoles dont come to soon or it could have a huge effect on the industry. Games cost to much to make these days and we are losing originality in games.

markr1616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 markr1616
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
my honest opinion is that bethesda might be the best one left. i guess well see with skyrim but i dobt that will be commercialized
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#16 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

That's just what happens when the videogame scene becomes a multi-million dollar industry. You need to focus on making returns on your games when you work for a big-name developer/publisher, especially since games are becoming more and more expensive to produce (it costs a few hundred million to produce a single game nowadays, I believe). There are occasional cases of creative freedom that seep through, of course, but that's only possible because of the returns made on more mainstream games. The industry wouldn't be able to sustain itself if it weren't appealing to the market's wants.

I'll admit that the obsessive focus on sequels and the like is a shame -- not that there's anything wrong with sequels -- but that's simply the only way the industry can sustain itself. Besides. the indie scene is exploding with creative forces. If the big-name developers aren't satisfying your need for innovation and creativity, then you can always turn to indie titles. You can always count on them to do something new and unexpected.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

That's just what happens when the videogame scene becomes a multi-million dollar industry. You need to focus on making returns on your games when you work for a big-name developer/publisher, especially since games are becoming more and more expensive to produce (it costs a few hundred million to produce a single game nowadays, I believe). There are occasional cases of creative freedom that seep through, of course, but that's only possible because of the returns made on more mainstream games. The industry wouldn't be able to sustain itself if it weren't appealing to the market's wants.

I'll admit that the obsessive focus on sequels and the like is a shame -- not that there's anything wrong with sequels -- but that's simply the only way the industry can sustain itself. Besides. the indie scene is exploding with creative forces. If the big-name developers aren't satisfying your need for innovation and creativity, then you can always turn to indie titles. You can always count on them to do something new and unexpected.

c_rake

According to a survey conducted last year $18-28 million is the range most game budgets fall into, though single platform games only averages $10,000,000 (though God of War 3's budget was $44 million and GT5's was $60 million so even single platform games can cost a pretty penny if no expense is spared).

I'm not surprised that going multiplat greatly increases a game's budget. Developers have gotten good at making the end results look similar, but by all accounts the PS3 and X360 work in very different ways.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/33625/Study-Average-dev-cost-as-high-as-28m