Game franchises you want to appreciate but just can't?

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

So, I did post this in System Wars and while it did get a few responses, it became irrelevant pretty quickly. Decided to repost it here seeing as it's more casual.

For me personally, I've just jotted down what franchises I used to enjoy growing up, but no longer find appealing. Anyway, I figured this topic would be good to put here seeing as System Wars seems to get the most traffic.

I think the first one that pops into my head is Sonic. Sure, I can play the games and potentially enjoy them to some degree, but these days I just haven't really ever been much of a fan. (I used to play Sonic Heroes a lot growing up, as well as some of the DS titles.)

Another one is definitely Super Smash Bros. Again, could play Melee as a kid, but don't find any of the games appealing anymore.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4189 Posts

Starcraft

Grim Fandango.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8732 Posts

Mass Effect. Couldn't get into the first one and lost interest with the second one.

Monster Hunter. Hard to progress with just myself. The multi-player was more miss than hit.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#4 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

The need for speed games modern racing games in general actually I just get bored quickly they look pretty but the gameplay doesn't do it for me, honestly I blame the Burnout series for ruining racing games for me lol.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

Uncharted. I love a good adventure/platformer, but the platforming is too easy and the puzzles are too straightforward.

Persona 4. I love most things about this game, just hate the dungeons. I did make it about halfway through before giving up. Tried again a few times, but the momentum was gone. Will probably never finnish it.

Burnout Paradise. Something about going open world didn't work for me. Love the series otherwise.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11655 Posts

Pretty much every game or franchise that relies on an excessive amont of story-telling, or being an openworld filled with fetch quest padding over interesting gameplay. Combo of both is very off-putting indeed (Bioware games).

I just for the life of me find both extremely boring, all I want is a well designed game to enjoy from a mechanical perspective.

However for those that play games for the above two aspects? by all means don't let my word dwindle your enjoyment. We all have our own preferences, no one persons stance is right or wrong.

salman261802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#7 salman261802
Member since 2011 • 107 Posts

for me its bethesda games i just don't like any of their games no matter what i try and i tried a lot it always seem dull and bugy

HankMulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 HankMulder
Member since 2020 • 203 Posts

Elder Scrolls are just a slough for me.
It's too open and I just spend times wandering around for hours until I grow bored with the game.

Wayne2001Ash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Wayne2001Ash
Member since 2020 • 10 Posts

GTA........

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Speeny

@wayne2001ash said:

GTA........

This'd be another one for me too to be honest. I've played a few of the games, but just grow tired of them easily and never end up finishing them. Not sure what it is. On another note, It's nice to see you're a fan of Demon Slayer. ;)

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34469 Posts

Crafting/survival games. I've started several, thought they were pretty cool (Subnautica, for example), but the same thing always happens. I get tired of the constant collecting and managing of items, materials, hunger, thirst, fatigue, what have you. It all slowly becomes more cumbersome than fun. And I still think about getting The Long Dark for some reason. Looks like a cool game, but again.. I probably shouldn't.

Strategy games. I suck at them. Maybe because of the same stuff as above, lots of managing. Too much trial and error and takes too much time to get better at them. I mostly mean RTS and TBS games like Total War series, StarCraft, Civilization. There's other strategy games I love, Fire Emblem, Adance Wars, Pikmin (if it counts as RTS), even some strategy boardgames.

GTA, as others have said. Yeah, can be a fun (but clunky) sandbox to play around in for a while, but that's about it. And I think that's what most people buy GTA for. Can't get into the series basically for it's sheer mediocreness. Driving is more fun in games where driving feels good. Shooting is more fun in games where shooting feels good. Etc. I do like the top down GTAs, though.

Simulation games. When you can do whatever you want with games, I don't want to play simulated reality.
"Here's a sword twice as big as you. Now go kill a mountain sized dragon with it."
Hell yes.
"Here's Farming Simulator 19. Go plough dirt".
...Yeah, no I'm good..

Mobile games. Designed solely to take a small part of your money often. Fun gameplay? Sense of progression? Maybe a fraction of what real games have. But only if you pay more. And then more. Mobile games aren't much more than a giant turd in the industry, preying on people who either don't know or care that they're being scammed.

@RSM-HQ said:

Pretty much every game or franchise that relies on an excessive amont of story-telling, or being an openworld filled with fetch quest padding over interesting gameplay. Combo of both is very off-putting indeed (Bioware games).

I just for the life of me find both extremely boring, all I want is a well designed game to enjoy from a mechanical perspective.

However for those that play games for the above two aspects? by all means don't let my word dwindle your enjoyment. We all have our own preferences, no one persons stance is right or wrong.

I agree with this completely.

@speeny said:

I think the first one that pops into my head is Sonic. Sure, I can play the games and potentially enjoy them to some degree, but these days I just haven't really ever been much of a fan. (I used to play Sonic Heroes a lot growing up, as well as some of the DS titles.)

I don't hate Sonic, but I also can't get into it. Gameplay feels contradicting, it encourages you to go really fast while they also put unavoidable spikes in the way killing the momentum. I guess people find enjoyment in that, and like memorizing the stages to prevent that from happening and whatnot, but I personally don't. While not running fast, the actual platforming feels slow, floaty/clunky. I find the games a bit of a mess.

@speeny said:

Another one is definitely Super Smash Bros. Again, could play Melee as a kid, but don't find any of the games appealing anymore.

Possibly because you don't play it with friends as much anymore? That's how it was for me with the series. Melee was amazing as we had Smash Bros parties often and everyone was very into it. Smash for Wii and Wii-U, not so much. My regular Smash friends didn't get the consoles, or just weren't into Smash anymore. With Smash Ultimate, however, my friends got Switches and the game, and it's extremely fun again. If I had no one to play against who also plays it a lot, I wouldn't find it appealing at all. Especially since the online is broken..

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

@warmblur: Try the recently released Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered. I bought it yesterday on Black Friday sale from the Xbox store. It’s made by Criterion (makers of the Burnout franchise) and it’s pretty decent with plenty of variety. Takedowns and shunts are all there too and it definitely feels Burnout.

It’s getting pretty good reviews too. Fair warning though - it’s not optimized for next gen. But it looks serviceable.

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#13 GNS
Member since 2015 • 917 Posts

TES, Fallout series.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#15 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58645 Posts

Final Fantasy. Great production values, top notch art direction, incredible music scores.

Just, kinda don't get it.

Avatar image for kirkalbuquerque
KirkAlbuquerque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KirkAlbuquerque
Member since 2020 • 280 Posts

Legend of Zelda. Even BotW, I was excited to finally play it, thought it would be the one to finally convert me. Got bored of it in an hour or 2.

sippio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 sippio
Member since 2015 • 2556 Posts

-Anything with Hunger/Thirst

-Survival mechanics, crafting chopping wood

-Uncharted, i started with Uncharted2 and the action sequences(train escape,chases etc) we're so cliche bad that i went from dislike to hate.

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Baconstrip78
Member since 2013 • 1851 Posts

Witcher 3. I had 1500 hours into Skyrim when I initially bought W3. Years later I have about 30 hours into it spread over 3 dozen sessions. You know an RPG just isn’t resonating when you can’t stomach longer than 30-45 minutes playing it at a time.

Khazrak134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#19 Khazrak134
Member since 2008 • 178 Posts

Halo comes to mind. I tried. I really tried, but I just couldnt get in to it. But i do l feel like im missing out

GTA comes to mind. After playing RDR2 to death, I thought to myself that i'd try GTA. so i got GTAV, and tried playing it twice. got the same point in the game both times, and just simply stopped playing it.

Zombie Games. Last of Us, Days Gone, L4D, CoD Zombies, you name it.... just never piqued my interest.

BioWare Games. Never really liked their RPG style. But i do feel like im missing out of some good stories

Bethesda Games. whether it was the Eldar Scrolls, or Dishonoured, or DOOM, or Wolfenstein. Never got in to them. The exception was Dishonoured.

NukleaWorfair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 NukleaWorfair
Member since 2009 • 475 Posts

@Baconstrip78:

Ha, Im exact same. Just cant get into Witcher 3.

The other game is Horizon Dawn Dawn.

I loved the first Metal Gear Solid, but cant get into any of the others.

Also God of War

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#21  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11655 Posts
@NukleaWorfair said:

@Baconstrip78:

Ha, Im exact same. Just cant get into Witcher 3.

The Witcher III is certainly one of those games that is fun when exploring, interacting with NPCs, and doing the detective stuff. And just to give one other lump of praise, great OST.

Yet when actually dealing with the gameplay it all falls apart, and is poorly designed; especially when considering what year it came out. The actual movement in the game is clunky and doesn't react well to immediate response from the player. Geralt handles as though he has a large rock tied to his right shoe.

I loved the first Metal Gear Solid, but cant get into any of the others.

Probably because they only got more outlandish. Enjoy the first four Solid games in various ways. But not many can deny that the first is a masterpiece. MGS is paced exceedingly well and 'consistently' got good game design.

*I'm expecting Metal Gear Solid to be Blue Points next remake, along with Silent Hill.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Tried several times to play Kingdom Hearts, but just can't get in to it.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9384 Posts

There are plenty of games I appreciate that I know I will never play. Like EVE Online. And fighting games.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50495 Posts

Persona and assassin's creed.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22369 Posts

As much as I love the Zelda games in general, I specifically can't get into BOTW at all. I have given it multiple chances and spent a good 20-30 hours with it, but it just isn't for me. I find it too big and empty, and in the end, kinda boring. Plus there are a few other annoyances with it for me.

In terms of actual franchises in general, one that comes to mind is Elder Scrolls. Similar situation to BOTW, I gave Oblivion & Skyrim in particular plenty of chances, but just couldn't get into them.

Valkeerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Valkeerie
Member since 2013 • 325 Posts

I can't get into real-time strategy games that are competitive. I prefer to play their campaigns instead of wasting time online. Granted that I'll never get the meat of games such as Starcraft, but Warcraft had legacy and a story to tell with good value for its worth, so there's something for everyone who is curious about the genre.

BigCat2K20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#29 BigCat2K20
Member since 2004 • 426 Posts

The Last Of Us: the franchise is nothing more than just another zombie/apocalyptic world with "masterpiece" of an story (forgettable characters).

Metal Gear Solid: another franchise that bores me to tears, man. Not even MGS3: Snake Eater can save it.

ceaRshaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ceaRshaf
Member since 2021 • 8 Posts

World of Warcraft was for me. Over the years I think I tried 3 or 4 times to install it after a new expansion and enjoy the hype. They I start playing and think "this is it?".

It's too bad cause I would really like for an open world polished experience but WoW is not for me.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Speeny

@hrt_rulz01: I played BoTW for the first time last year and couldn’t get into it either. I liked a few aspects about the game but overall, I found myself for the most part aimlessly wandering around. I think when it boils down to it, I’m just not a huge fan of open world games and really lack the patience for them. I may revisit it one day but it won’t be anytime soon. :P

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22369 Posts

@speeny: Yeah agreed. I kind of hit a point where I realised I'd spent most of my time with the game just spamming the run button & running through empty fields. And in the end, I just wasn't having a good time. I had much more fun with the Links Awakening remake.

I just hope that Nintendo don't make all future Zelda games in the same mould.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

System Shock, especially 2: it has to be my most installed and uninstalled game ever. I just can't get over the combat system and weapon degradation, no matter how I try.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#35 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3621 Posts

Gears of War, I played Gears of War 3, Judgement, and Gears of War 4. The online is fun though the story in Gears 4 felt like a chore to play. I tried Gears of War 5 and couldn't get pass the tutorial. Guess I won't even bother with it.

Halo, I got the Masterchef Collection and I just couldn't get into how the shooting mechanics and gameplay and of Halo felt. I just hated how you had to be quick and perfect with shooting enemies.

Yakuza, I got Yakuza Kiwami and just can't get into it. I grew up with Shenmue and Kiwami feels like the opposite of it. I put like 10 hours and like the combat as it's fast pace and challenging. Though the game being in Japanese kinda throws me off.

Avatar image for blackacezero777
blackacezero777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36 blackacezero777
Member since 2021 • 353 Posts

@speeny: Oh! My soul pains after reading Sonic!!! Jk, everybody has their tastes. I do agree with Super Smash Bros. I had gotten into Brawl and the 3DS game, but about a month or two in, I just found it severely boring.

For me, there are some.

Soulsborne: I can understand why some may find it enjoyable, but I'm starting to believe many like it because of the challenge factor that exists in most of these games. While I do like the concept of Bloodborne, I find myself being a person who really cannot get into the series. There are two exceptions and that is Code Vein (still in the beginning, but I find myself enjoying the game from what I have played) and Let It Die. The games are frustrating, and not in a good way. I played a bit of Nioh not too long ago and I felt overly frustrated with the game like it was chore to play. Usually I can find some enjoyment out of frustrating and challenging games, but I just did not feel like I was enjoying it. For example, I play Furi, and while the game is frustrating, it is frustrating in a fun way.

GOTY games: Think in terms of God of War, Uncharted, The Last of Us, etc. I typically consider these games not to be games, but interactive movies. I feel this is why they get so much praise, because they are basically movies, but I cannot bring myself to appreciate it just because they are highly detailed and present themselves in a movie-like quality. It takes away lot of what makes a game, a game. It is why I don't care for the conversation that was building around God of War 4 and how it is more "mature" than the previous saga, it's no more different than the other games I have brought up under this line of games.

Bayonetta: I made a review about this game, but basically uninteresting characters. Really uninteresting main character that uses sexual appeal to make up for a lack of a interesting and complex character. The narrative is all over the place and does not make sense. Her rivalry with Jeanne is really weak, and the game is just really goofy for no good reason. I have tried to like this game and have played it 2 times already, but I find myself disliking it more so as time goes on and really disliking Bayonetta as a character. I don't care for the argument that "the story doesn't matter, the gameplay does" because it starts with a narration to show that there is a story worth following, so to me that shatters that whole argument.

Bioshock 1: Eh, I tried but really did not care for it like so many others do. The gameplay is boring and the whole thing about "you are being controlled" and what that means for players in real life and in the game is more like a plot gimmick to wow people more than it being an impactful message. It's that edgy cynicism that thinks its much more smarter than what it really is and I typically don't care for that. It's kind of tut-tutting you for playing a game, and that has always came off very contradicting in my own opinion.

NieR Automata: The true ending is amazing, I will give it that. But outside of that, it's very generic and another one of those edgy games that thinks hitting you over the head with "life is meaningless here" and "People are all depressed" over and over again is making a striking point. It isn't. I found it to be really goofy, and not in the right way, and too Yoko Taro-y, meaning its him doing too much goofy and edgy stuff that it makes the game super silly to the point of ridiculousness.

CrossFire245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 CrossFire245
Member since 2007 • 1085 Posts
  • Pretty much anything by Naughty Dog. I couldn't get into Uncharted 1 or 2. I did beat The Last of Us, and thought it was okay but a bit overrated. I haven't played TLOU2, so I can't comment on that.
  • Zelda - I've tried multiple zelda games (OOT and BOTW) and couldn't bring myself to play either one for more than 10 hours.
  • Animal Crossing - I've tried New Leaf and New Horizons. Dropped both after about 15 hours, which I don't consider great for games like these.
Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Speeny

@blackacezero777: Forgot to mention it in my original post but, other than playing Sonic Heroes as a kid, I liked one particular level in Sonic Adventure 2. Can you guess what that is? Let’s put it this way, the one with the memorable song and memorable level for that matter. I also did enjoy my time with Unleashed as a young teen even though I never completed it. Suppose it’s an unpopular opinion to like that game. Don’t think I could ever bring myself to touch 06. The cinematic cutscenes look appealing but the gameplay...nope. :P

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Speeny

@CrossFire245: That’s fair. What’re some of your favourites on the other hand?

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#40 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3621 Posts

Zelda franchise, I tried a few games like Zelda 2, Link To A Past, Wind Walker, Twilight Princess even Zelda Breath of the Wild on Switch and found them too be boring.

blackacezero777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 blackacezero777

@speeny: It's fine, everybody has their tastes.

To the level...*Gasp* "Rolling around at the speed of sound..." City Escape! It's me and my Mom's favorite level! Unleashed I love but I have yet to beat it and this is me going back to it throughout the decade. To the unpopular opinion, I really don't care about the external opinion of games (no disrespect though). I come from a time when Social Media and Gaming Sites weren't as prevalent, so it was only my opinion, and I still have the mentality with a lot of games (I like a lot of games that people have panned). So for me, I still love and will love Unleashed (and pretty much most Sonic games for that matter). I don't care for the Wii version though, such a bait and switch....

06 is actually one that I like. I know the opinion that swirls around it, but again, I played it for myself and enjoyed it (and I have my own unpopular opinion about it). It was definitely a different beast with the way it presented itself. I know some have a problem with it, so it may be a endurance test for some.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7181 Posts

Might be an unpopular opinion but final fantasy is a franchise that's never clicked. Might try the 7 remake at some point which might change my opinion.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

The Witcher - The most boring franchise next to RDR.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Speeny

@blackacezero777: I think I’m very much like that too. I often don’t even look at reviews myself. If I enjoy something, then that’s all that matters. As I said in the other topic, I sometimes like to purchase different forms of entertainment, whether it be video games or tv series/movies, and see if I end up getting some kind of enjoyment out of them just from that initial appeal. Not for everyone but for myself, I feel as if I can have a pretty well-rounded opinion that way. :)

blackacezero777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By blackacezero777

@speeny: Great minds think alike.

It's my problem with YouTube gamers because I feel their opinions are taken almost like fact, and this is leading to less enjoyment of games entirely. For example, my reason for buying a 360 years ago was because of 06 and I had a blast with it. When social media and YouTube started becoming more prevalent, I noticed it was just the flood of negativity towards it, and some seemingly egging on the commentary (the beastality argument is one that I strongly disagree with). Same with Sonic and the Secret Rings (literally saw a comment on Instagram start to get more attention just because someone started complaining about the game).

And Same with God of War 4 in comparison to the original saga, people feel it became "mature" with the introduction of 4 when the whole saga was already mature, it's just people focus too hard on just Kratos being a raging monster and ignoring the slower moments that build his character and motivation. And on the flip side, I've had those moments where the games that praise, I don't care for. NieR Automata is a recent example in my memory. For all of the praise it got, it really isn't any different from some of the games you would find the Game Critics on YouTube lambasting for being "another generic open-world game." But I guess because it hits you over the head with depression and trying to find meaning in a meaningless world and wraps it up as "philosphy," then I guess it gets a pass.

Watch_Dogs was a perfect example of how personal opinion really shaped the experience. I admittedly fell into the hype because I friend was telling me about it, only to be disappointed and trading it in out of sheer disappointment. When I came back to it near Christmas with only my personal opinion and nothing else influencing my experience, I found myself enjoying it to the point that it is one of my favorite games I go back to from time to time.