Game for an 8 yr old - your suggestions?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gameheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gameheist
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
My son might have fallen in love with my modern warfare 2 (oops). And while I am throughly impressed with this gaming abilities, my wife really really hates it. So I am trying to find something else that could help keep him entertained. He is a first person shooter fanatic, but I would like to see him try some other styles. Any suggestions?
DeanG642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 DeanG642
Member since 2009 • 595 Posts
My son might have fallen in love with my modern warfare 2 (oops). And while I am throughly impressed with this gaming abilities, my wife really really hates it. So I am trying to find something else that could help keep him entertained. He is a first person shooter fanatic, but I would like to see him try some other styles. Any suggestions? gameheist
Halo. Great great great game. One of the best, although the online community are idiots sometimes. Actually, the MW2 community are worse. Halo would be the main one. If you have a PC I would recommend maybe Counter Strike, Team Fortress or something. If you dont mine too much gore, Left 4 dead is good, although it may not be his style. Any older call of duty games. But Halo is my one recommendation, unless you dont have a 360.
PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

sly cooper, jak & daxter and ratchet & clank :) all three are great.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

by other styles did you mean different genres or a different syle FPS?

Polybren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Polybren
Member since 2004 • 1678 Posts
Maybe the Ratchet and Clank games? The subtitles are about as risque as they get, and the action is more suitable for 8-year-olds than Modern Warfare 2. You could probably pick up a Rock Band bundle on the cheap these days. Batman: Arkham Asylum is fantastic as well. The Lego Harry Potter, Lego Indiana Jones, and Lego Star Wars games are swell. It's tough to go wrong with a sports games. Little Big Planet is also pretty cool, and if your kid wraps his head around the creation tools, it's a pretty great creativity tool to boot. Basically there are a ton of better options for kids on the violence spectrum. You may be more strict about sex, drug references, or language, so read up on whatever it is you decide to try out. Good luck!
DeanG642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 DeanG642
Member since 2009 • 595 Posts
Just realized you said other styles, and all I recommended was Halo :(. Platformers are good. Ratchet and clank on ps3, Mirrors Edge. Prince Of Persia. RPGs like Oblivion. I wouldnt go for FAllout considering his age, but Oblivion is a great game. Maybe Final Fantasy. Uncharted 2 on Ps3 is great, maybe a little over his age. Erm.... Perfect DarkZero is an Fps, but a great game. After that, im not sure. There are loads of games, and if I think of any, I will be sure to tell. :D
Avatar image for MillenialFair99
MillenialFair99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MillenialFair99
Member since 2010 • 2866 Posts
A good move is to try and get him into RPGs. Mainly Japanese ones, maybe Pokemon? My first RPG was Final Fantasy IV, but that would be way too hard by todays standards. Another good one with a fair difficulty is Chrono Trigger.
Mariofire44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mariofire44
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I've played Video Games for longer than as far back as i can remember, so i'll tell you what games i really liked playing when i was 8 years old: If your son has a lot of friends (or at least one) that live(s) nearby, and you have a gamcube (with multiple controllers), i'd recommend Kirby Air Ride. GameSpot only rated it a 5.1, but they most likely didn't use the multiplayer features. Other great gamecube games are Parer Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (Heck, you might even get a kick out of this, because there are four different files; the game is only single player, but it is a great game to start with if you want to get into RPG-styled games!) and Sonic Mega Collection (a real bargain, because it's a lot of games from the Sega Genesis and maybe a few others for a good price) I'm not sure what games are good for him for the Xboxes and the Playstation 3, because i never got those. But, then again, it'd probably keep the same problem, if not make it worse, because most of the games for those systems are either FPS or are very bloody. You could also try to pretend to get into the game he's playing. (assuming you're not already liking the game) That way, you can see what's actually in the game. If you see anything more than some blood (about the real-life equivelant of a handful or less; come on, we all see some blood as children, from cuts and bruises! Definately never the amount you'd see in some FPS games), you know you need to take some actions. (If not, then try to explain to your wife that it's not too much of a deal) First of all, if your wife's request isn't enough, think about this: at the rate he's playing FPS games, he's more likely to become a criminal later in life. (think about it: the boy gets the feeling that shooting random people is good. Later in life as an adult, he might remember that feeling, and actually do it. in real life. If that's not enough to make you want to get him to stop, then i just might report child neglect on you) Second, your son might not trust many people he doesn't know, because in his mind, he might think "i don't know if these people are good or bad. I'll just assume the worst." Chances are that you see this if your son generally avoids people he doesn't know. If all else fails, simply ban him from playing it, and move it somewhere he doesn't know and/or can't reach. He'll get very angry at you, but at least it solves the problem!
metroidprime55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 metroidprime55
Member since 2008 • 17657 Posts

A good move is to try and get him into RPGs. Mainly Japanese ones, maybe Pokemon? My first RPG was Final Fantasy IV, but that would be way too hard by todays standards. Another good one with a fair difficulty is Chrono Trigger. MillenialFair99

Maybe he would be more comfortable with Oblivion because that game might as well be rated T and it is played mainly in first-person.

Avatar image for MillenialFair99
MillenialFair99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MillenialFair99
Member since 2010 • 2866 Posts

[QUOTE="MillenialFair99"]A good move is to try and get him into RPGs. Mainly Japanese ones, maybe Pokemon? My first RPG was Final Fantasy IV, but that would be way too hard by todays standards. Another good one with a fair difficulty is Chrono Trigger. metroidprime55

Maybe he would be more comfortable with Oblivion because that game might as well be rated T and it is played mainly in first-person.

Well, an eight year old might not understand the math of the stats and things like that.
metroidprime55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 metroidprime55
Member since 2008 • 17657 Posts

I've played Video Games for longer than as far back as i can remember, so i'll tell you what games i really liked playing when i was 8 years old: If your son has a lot of friends (or at least one) that live(s) nearby, and you have a gamcube (with multiple controllers), i'd recommend Kirby Air Ride. GameSpot only rated it a 5.1, but they most likely didn't use the multiplayer features. Other great gamecube games are Parer Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (Heck, you might even get a kick out of this, because there are four different files; the game is only single player, but it is a great game to start with if you want to get into RPG-styled games!) and Sonic Mega Collection (a real bargain, because it's a lot of games from the Sega Genesis and maybe a few others for a good price) I'm not sure what games are good for him for the Xboxes and the Playstation 3, because i never got those. But, then again, it'd probably keep the same problem, if not make it worse, because most of the games for those systems are either FPS or are very bloody. You could also try to pretend to get into the game he's playing. (assuming you're not already liking the game) That way, you can see what's actually in the game. If you see anything more than some blood (about the real-life equivelant of a handful or less; come on, we all see some blood as children, from cuts and bruises! Definately never the amount you'd see in some FPS games), you know you need to take some actions. (If not, then try to explain to your wife that it's not too much of a deal) First of all, if your wife's request isn't enough, think about this: at the rate he's playing FPS games, he's more likely to become a criminal later in life. (think about it: the boy gets the feeling that shooting random people is good. Later in life as an adult, he might remember that feeling, and actually do it. in real life. If that's not enough to make you want to get him to stop, then i just might report child neglect on you) Second, your son might not trust many people he doesn't know, because in his mind, he might think "i don't know if these people are good or bad. I'll just assume the worst." Chances are that you see this if your son generally avoids people he doesn't know. If all else fails, simply ban him from playing it, and move it somewhere he doesn't know and/or can't reach. He'll get very angry at you, but at least it solves the problem!Mariofire44

But your not shooting random people really in MW2, it is mainly enemy soldiers, and in No Russian you end up getting shot in the end, plus later in the game when you have to fight in the favila you are penilized for killing civilians.

Mariofire44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mariofire44
ah, yes, RPGs. It's a somewhat small chance - about 40% chance it'll work, and a lower % each time you try. Pokemon is good, addicting, and now gets people active (with the Pokewalker you get with Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver. It can only connect to those two games and other pokewalkers to get free items to use in-game. Keep that in mind!). Another way to get him into RPGs is to let him play either Paper Mario (if you have a Wii, as long as you have a classic controller and a Wii Points card as well as internet connection to the internet on the Wii, you can buy the game on Wii Shop, as it is most likely not being sold anymore.) for the Nintendo 64 for Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. I personally think the second one is more entertaining than the first, These two games have more of a chance to get your son addicted to RPGs, because they are simple, yet extremely addicting. the only backfire is that if he talks about RPGs at school in 6th grade and over, there's a huge chance that he won't make any friends, and maybe even loose some friends because of all that Middle and High School "popularity" nonesence. (it's a huge risk to get him addicted to RPGs, but if you're willing to gamble, you can try; somehow telling him to not tell people he plays them unless he knows that they play them too and have friends is a good idea, because it'll lower the chance that he'll tell people he plays them in 6th grade and up.)
Aspen706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Aspen706
Member since 2010 • 4560 Posts

sly cooper, jak & daxter and ratchet & clank :) all three are great.

PcGamingRig
Those are all great.
Mariofire44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Mariofire44

[QUOTE="Mariofire44"]I've played Video Games for longer than as far back as i can remember, so i'll tell you what games i really liked playing when i was 8 years old: If your son has a lot of friends (or at least one) that live(s) nearby, and you have a gamcube (with multiple controllers), i'd recommend Kirby Air Ride. GameSpot only rated it a 5.1, but they most likely didn't use the multiplayer features. Other great gamecube games are Parer Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (Heck, you might even get a kick out of this, because there are four different files; the game is only single player, but it is a great game to start with if you want to get into RPG-styled games!) and Sonic Mega Collection (a real bargain, because it's a lot of games from the Sega Genesis and maybe a few others for a good price) I'm not sure what games are good for him for the Xboxes and the Playstation 3, because i never got those. But, then again, it'd probably keep the same problem, if not make it worse, because most of the games for those systems are either FPS or are very bloody. You could also try to pretend to get into the game he's playing. (assuming you're not already liking the game) That way, you can see what's actually in the game. If you see anything more than some blood (about the real-life equivelant of a handful or less; come on, we all see some blood as children, from cuts and bruises! Definately never the amount you'd see in some FPS games), you know you need to take some actions. (If not, then try to explain to your wife that it's not too much of a deal) First of all, if your wife's request isn't enough, think about this: at the rate he's playing FPS games, he's more likely to become a criminal later in life. (think about it: the boy gets the feeling that shooting random people is good. Later in life as an adult, he might remember that feeling, and actually do it. in real life. If that's not enough to make you want to get him to stop, then i just might report child neglect on you) Second, your son might not trust many people he doesn't know, because in his mind, he might think "i don't know if these people are good or bad. I'll just assume the worst." Chances are that you see this if your son generally avoids people he doesn't know. If all else fails, simply ban him from playing it, and move it somewhere he doesn't know and/or can't reach. He'll get very angry at you, but at least it solves the problem!metroidprime55

But your not shooting random people really in MW2, it is mainly enemy soldiers, and in No Russian you end up getting shot in the end, plus later in the game when you have to fight in the favila you are penilized for killing civilians.

Yes, but it's still shooting people he doesn't know.
face_ripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 face_ripper
Member since 2010 • 968 Posts
Try a racing game like Burnout Paradise. If you see that it's too "Crazy" try the upcoming Worms Reloaded.
Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
[QUOTE="Mariofire44"]... think about this: at the rate he's playing FPS games, he's more likely to become a criminal later in life. (think about it: the boy gets the feeling that shooting random people is good. Later in life as an adult, he might remember that feeling, and actually do it. in real life. If that's not enough to make you want to get him to stop, then i just might report child neglect on you) Second, your son might not trust many people he doesn't know, because in his mind, he might think "i don't know if these people are good or bad. I'll just assume the worst." Chances are that you see this if your son generally avoids people he doesn't know. If all else fails, simply ban him from playing it, and move it somewhere he doesn't know and/or can't reach. He'll get very angry at you, but at least it solves the problem!

This is a myth that many try to spread that isn't true. Games with shooting or blood don't make people into "criminals". Most gamers are the most liberal and passive people you will encounter. The junior high kids who play online have horrible mouths but that has more to do with their maturity level then the games since every one at the age thinks its cool to have a potty mouth. Now if a person already has a violent tendencies then they may be drawn to violent games/movies/literature but its not the games/movies/books that cause it. Domestic abuse that he witnesses or experiences will have cause him to be violent, not games. Its like a person watching superman and going on the roof and jumping so that they can fly. A person that already has mental instability might be influenced by superman flying but normal people will not
Mariofire44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mariofire44
[QUOTE="Diablo-B"][QUOTE="Mariofire44"]... think about this: at the rate he's playing FPS games, he's more likely to become a criminal later in life. (think about it: the boy gets the feeling that shooting random people is good. Later in life as an adult, he might remember that feeling, and actually do it. in real life. If that's not enough to make you want to get him to stop, then i just might report child neglect on you) Second, your son might not trust many people he doesn't know, because in his mind, he might think "i don't know if these people are good or bad. I'll just assume the worst." Chances are that you see this if your son generally avoids people he doesn't know. If all else fails, simply ban him from playing it, and move it somewhere he doesn't know and/or can't reach. He'll get very angry at you, but at least it solves the problem!

This is a myth that many try to spread that isn't true. Games with shooting or blood don't make people into "criminals". Most gamers are the most liberal and passive people you will encounter. The junior high kids who play online have horrible mouths but that has more to do with their maturity level then the games since every one at the age thinks its cool to have a potty mouth. Now if a person already has a violent tendencies then they may be drawn to violent games/movies/literature but its not the games/movies/books that cause it. Domestic abuse that he witnesses or experiences will have cause him to be violent, not games. Its like a person watching superman and going on the roof and jumping so that they can fly. A person that already has mental instability might be influenced by superman flying but normal people will not

Now, i never said that it turns EVERYONE into a criminal. A good example would be my cousin. He's about 4 years older than me. (how old that is is none of you business) He's ALWAYS playing FPS games on his Xbox 360. Ever since he played his first gun game (he wants to be in the army when he grows up; he knows a lot about guns, and he likes them. Of course, he never used a real one, or at least i don't think so), every time i go over to his house, i'm always given some sort of psysical pain. And he knows that I wouldn't do much about it. Mostly because that would "set him off" like a bomb - he hurts me much more. Another thing limiting me from protecting myself is that he's had heart surgery in the past - twice, i believe. If i throw one wrong punch, i could kill my cousin. (i doubt it, but it is a possibility....)
skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 skooks
Member since 2006 • 1411 Posts

It's a tough one because he's so young yet he clearly enjoys games geared for an older audience. Weaning him onto something else just might not fly, but I think you're right to try to get him to try out other styles.

How about The Force Unleashed? It's a 12, not too violent, just plain fun really. I defy any child not to enjoy being Darth Vader and flinging wookies into trees!
Or fighting games? Street Fighter, Tekken. They're violent sure but they're a bit silly and most kids from my generation grew up with things like Street Fighter and we turned out fine.

If he really does want an FPS then I'd say Halo. I don't think it deserves a 15 certificate, it's guns and shooting I guess but it's almost cartoon violence. But maybe that's just to me.

Does he have a Wii? Because I'd also recommend Metroid.

joesh89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 308

#19 joesh89
Member since 2008 • 8489 Posts

I came in to suggest Modern Warfare 2... Damn :|

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts

i would say let him try some rpgs if hes into the sort of thing. my little brothers favorite game is kotor (he is 8 ) . another good idea is action rpgs witch you can play coop. their great for family bonding i imagine.

brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#21 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

If you don't mind T rated games involving violence:

• Batman: Arkham Asylum
  • inFamous
  • Final Fantasy 13
  • Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

If you don't like him playing T rated games a majority of Wii and DS games are appropriate as well as Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time, Little Big Planet, and just about any racing game.

CubicBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CubicBrains
Member since 2010 • 34 Posts

I came in to suggest Modern Warfare 2... Damn :|

joesh89

me 2! i love trolling

Bladecutter56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 Bladecutter56
Member since 2006 • 2081 Posts

My son might have fallen in love with my modern warfare 2 (oops). And while I am throughly impressed with this gaming abilities, my wife really really hates it. So I am trying to find something else that could help keep him entertained. He is a first person shooter fanatic, but I would like to see him try some other styles. Any suggestions? gameheist

Why's she hate it? What's it going to do, turn him into a psychotic murderer who shoots up his school?

If you don't want him to see that sort of stuff just yet, grab a good game that doesn't have that sort of thing in it. I'm hard pressed to think of any, since my games tend to have all of the bad elements in them, but...

To be perfectly honest I'd grab an RTS for him. Sure, they may have violence, but they get him to think. Teaches him how to think outside of the box. Other than that, the only games I can think of that would be remotely child friendly would all be on the Wii.

Warship_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Warship_19
Member since 2010 • 1565 Posts

[QUOTE="gameheist"]My son might have fallen in love with my modern warfare 2 (oops). And while I am throughly impressed with this gaming abilities, my wife really really hates it. So I am trying to find something else that could help keep him entertained. He is a first person shooter fanatic, but I would like to see him try some other styles. Any suggestions? DeanG642
Halo. Great great great game. One of the best, although the online community are idiots sometimes. Actually, the MW2 community are worse. Halo would be the main one. If you have a PC I would recommend maybe Counter Strike, Team Fortress or something. If you dont mine too much gore, Left 4 dead is good, although it may not be his style. Any older call of duty games. But Halo is my one recommendation, unless you dont have a 360.

Lets try something not rated M for the 8 year old...

We have enough little kids running around online Shooters. Thats why americas going to be so F***** in the future.

Because Parents feel theres nothing wrong with Children Playing GTA and Call of duty.

I suggest Lost planet 2 my little brother loves it even with the bad reviews I enjoy it myself.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44591 Posts
it's one thing to pick a game for an 8 year old on whether it'll be age appropriate as far as the maturity level of the content is concerned, but whenever I've seen kids game these days I constantly watch them get stuck on everything they try playing, often resulting in them losing interest in everything trying picking a game similar to something they can play, and just get something more age appropriate anyhow, at 8 years old I wasn't even at Oregon Trail yet... I think maybe I was playing Super Spellicopter through DOS
Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26 Aero5555
Member since 2006 • 1333 Posts

Yoshi's Story on the N64

The PS2's Kingdom Hearts games

andalore

Forum Posts