game developers are focusing too much on graphics?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Dennysinny (296 posts) -

dont get me wrong i love graphics i was excited when i first saw games looking realistic but i dont mind how it was on playstation 2 games i really didnt care i thought it was nice to me . well i mean compare to now No but its like all these games come out that be "okay" but its like all most games do is focus on graphics and forget about everything

what is going on ? it just seem like game developers working so hard before the game released but it feels like it was rushed when you get a chance to play it.

#2 Posted by sirkibble2 (941 posts) -

Most AAA games or most games?

AAA games focus a lot on graphics because something that looks good and current is more appealing to a wider amount people than something that looks dated. So, yes, they put tremendous focus on graphics.

But a game that suffers in gameplay isn't necessarily because of the graphics. Like you said, they might be rushed.

#3 Edited by GuitarSmash (274 posts) -

I find series such as the Metal Gear Solid series to be balanced with amazing graphics and immersive gameplay.... Fingers crossed for MGS5

#4 Edited by sukraj (27233 posts) -

I love amazing graphics and good gameplay.

#5 Edited by RageQuitter69 (1366 posts) -

No, game developers are not focusing too much on graphics where it gets in the way of gameplay, however, they are focusing too much on storytelling where it gets in the way of gameplay. I love a great story just as much as the next person, but can't stand it when gameplay is sacrificed as a great story can't make a boring game fun.

#6 Posted by RageQuitter69 (1366 posts) -

No, game developers are not focusing too much on graphics where it gets in the way of gameplay, however, they are focusing too much on storytelling where it gets in the way of gameplay. I love a great story just as much as the next person, but can't stand it when gameplay is sacrificed as a great story can't make a boring game fun.

#7 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

Are you talking about Ryse ?

And COD Ghosts ?

And Uncharted too (see what I did there)?

#8 Edited by msulcs (45 posts) -

Well I don't necessary agree with you, because there are so many great games with awesome graphics novadays. Every year there are tons of games that are great as games and graphics likewise.

#9 Posted by wiouds (6233 posts) -

It is hard to tell since we are not in the each meeting of a game. Graphic is something that first sell the game from the AAA to the indie game. For them to want to play the game then they will need to look a the game.

#10 Posted by Zjun (147 posts) -

Isn't graphics usually just yummy "icing on the cake"?

Well if not, then yeah I can see your point.

I wanna' say the Crysis series as an example, but I haven't played any of the games so I can't say.

#11 Posted by Dennysinny (296 posts) -

@msulcs said:

Well I don't necessary agree with you, because there are so many great games with awesome graphics novadays. Every year there are tons of games that are great as games and graphics likewise.

well you have to state facts. because the video games sales are declining by alot

#12 Edited by marcheegsr (3113 posts) -

Graphics are the first thing you see when you start playing a game or see a trailer/gameplay. Thus they have to make them appealing and sometimes gameplay suffers.

I prefer a balance between the two.