Future of Skateboarding Games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NinthFall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 0

#1 NinthFall
Member since 2013 • 118 Posts
Hello there. I'm a little worried about the future of skateboarding games. Skate 1-3 were amazing, perfect just the right way done skating games. Every skater all around the world has been waiting for a Skate 4, but it just doesn't seem to be happening. And it seems Tony Hawk series has pretty much gone dead, plus I wouldn't want another unrealistic skateboarding game tbh. I mean, yeah Tony Hawk series were great back in the day, but not today. Shaun White never was really anything in the games. There really never were many skateboarding games, except for PS1, which was cool to have so many skateboarding games. What happened to them? Will there be any skateboarding games for PS4 and Xbox One? Will skateboarding games die completely?
NinthFall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 NinthFall
Bump
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#3 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
they died. :\
NinthFall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NinthFall
They really shouldn't die. There's a big fanbase out there "crying out loud" for a new skateboarding game. We even got awesome new ideas for the francise. They could unite with BMX, Bladers and Scooters. This way we'd have a even bigger fanbase.
suz437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 suz437
Member since 2005 • 1053 Posts

Perhaps we'll get a new skate or tony hawk next gen.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#6 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

well, i definitely know why the tony hawk games died. activision shoved out yearly installments. it worked for a little bit as additional mechanics like the manual and revert naturally extended combos, but you can only add so much before it just gets boring. i mean, getting off the skateboard to run and extend the combo felt silly (how is it any more valid than riding to the next part of the line?). then activision's big renovation of the series was tying it to clunky motion controls and the dwindling peripheral fad. if they had given the series time to breath, they could have spaced out the combo extenders, gotten even more life from the series through new hardware, and given themselves a chance to experiment with real innovations.

NinthFall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NinthFall
^ But I don't think the skaters want another unrealistic Tony Hawk game. At least we in our skating community hope for another realistic skating game like Skate 1-3 were.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

^ But I don't think the skaters want another unrealistic Tony Hawk game. At least we in our skating community hope for another realistic skating game like Skate 1-3 were. NinthFall

I think the unrealistic part of the Tony Hawks games was part of the reason that they did so well. It was almost as much fun to watch the player doing the outrageous stunts as it was to play.

As the 2D fights shows there is that old game types do not die they just wait for a new wave. It would take some work.

Are you willing to be able to set how real it can be?

NinthFall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NinthFall
^ Just saying, that unrealistic style wouldn't work. Not for me at least. I don't like SSX series for example. I hate them. So unrealistic, so not fun. I want to focus on doing awesome tricks that could be done in real life as well, realism is the key. Imagine if there was no real football game for the football maniacs, imagine if the only one out there was a football game with a bunch of famous game characters and 10 feet jumps, etc. Just not what we look for, is all. We don't want another Tony Hawk, we want a Skate 4!
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

As somebody who loved them back then, and they even were the reason I started skateboarding in real life.....

Nah man, they have been produced to death, overly repeated way too much, just bashing in 2, 3 new features every next installment just isn't enough to keep them fresh.

In a way, it's a good thing this genre at some point realised it did everything that's possible and accepted that, without becoming Skate of Duty.

Still skating in real life though and if you love boarding so much, you should try that out instead, way more fun than any new skating game could be ^^

NinthFall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NinthFall

As somebody who loved them back then, and they even were the reason I started skateboarding in real life.....

Nah man, they have been produced to death, overly repeated way too much, just bashing in 2, 3 new features every next installment just isn't enough to keep them fresh.

In a way, it's a good thing this genre at some point realised it did everything that's possible and accepted that, without becoming Skate of Duty.

Still skating in real life though and if you love boarding so much, you should try that out instead, way more fun than any new skating game could be ^^

Justforvisit
I'm a skateboarder as well, like my brother and my friends. We've been skating since we were little kids and I agree with you, those skateboarding games kinda got us started with skating. However, have you tried out the Skate series?
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

[QUOTE="Justforvisit"]

NinthFall

I'm a skateboarder as well, like my brother and my friends. We've been skating since we were little kids and I agree with you, those skateboarding games kinda got us started with skating. However, have you tried out the Skate series?

Nah, Tony Hawk was all I played back then, was pretty much the only thing that was around at my time..can't remember where I stopped anymore but I remember I made a looooong break after 3...or was it 4? Not even totally sure about if there was and if I played it xD But well, many years later after 3 then played American Wasteland and it still felt like a chore although several years of skating abstinence lied between those two and that was the point where I finally realised I'm done with them.

mihaibumblebee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By mihaibumblebee
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I heard that a new company is gonna make a new skate game called "Shred" in 2014 or 2015 but i don't actually know the certain release date for this game. I also heard that it'll have a "Street Mode" and a "Freestyle Mode" for the characters

Kuromino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By Kuromino  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 1602 Posts

Please don't revive 9 month old topics.