Free roam gameplay

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Luthreidrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Luthreidrome
Member since 2009 • 253 Posts

"The gameplay is semi-linear, my experiences with sandbox games (like FC2) has been that the player gets bored unless he is told what to do. So you'll be able to explore the wilderness for ammunition/ journal entries/ new routes but there will always be a set path." - From an interview with the devs of "Ivan's Secrets"

What is your opinion? Do you get bored without something to do or can you just explore? Which do you like better?

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
I can see his point. There needs to be a strong overarching reason, other wise, it just exists to goof around.
DeanG642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 DeanG642
Member since 2009 • 595 Posts

"The gameplay is semi-linear, my experiences with sandbox games (like FC2) has been that the player gets bored unless he is told what to do. So you'll be able to explore the wilderness for ammunition/ journal entries/ new routes but there will always be a set path." - From an interview with the devs of "Ivan's Secrets"

What is your opinion? Do you get bored without something to do or can you just explore? Which do you like better?

Luthreidrome
Agreed. If you are just thrown somewhere, boredom quickly sets in. A good free roam game is one that gives you things to do and lets you tackle them how and when you want, as well as giving you an area of exploration. A game that did this perfectly was Mass Effect.
johnnystarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

#4 johnnystarr
Member since 2006 • 868 Posts

When i was younger I was a huge pc gamer. I played free roam games like mafia and the whole gta series and postal 2 back when I used to play them I always found the citys much more exciting and always looked around as much as I could and since Ive got my ps3 every freeroam game I played I never took the time To look around.

Luthreidrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Luthreidrome
[QUOTE="DeanG642"][QUOTE="Luthreidrome"]

Agreed. If you are just thrown somewhere, boredom quickly sets in. A good free roam game is one that gives you things to do and lets you tackle them how and when you want, as well as giving you an area of exploration. A game that did this perfectly was Mass Effect.

Very true, Mass Effect did it very well. It felt very guided yet it also felt like the player had options and COULD explore if they wanted to.
Luthreidrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Luthreidrome

When i was younger I was a huge pc gamer. I played free roam games like mafia and the whole gta series and postal 2 back when I used to play them I always found the citys much more exciting and always looked around as much as I could and since Ive got my ps3 every freeroam game I played I never took the time To look around.

johnnystarr
Maybe the quality of the free roaming has degraded?
DeanG642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DeanG642
[QUOTE="johnnystarr"]

Luthreidrome

Slightly. Look at the down grade from San Andreas to GTA IV. There was lots to do in SA but nothing to do in IV. But Red Dead Redemption Did free roam quite well too. There was always something to do, and everything you did felt rewarding.
Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

[QUOTE="Luthreidrome"]

DeanG642

I agree completely. I have never played Mass Effect but this is how I would describe Super Mario 64 and it is one of the reasons it remains my favorite game of all time.

Luthreidrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Luthreidrome
[QUOTE="DeanG642"][QUOTE="Luthreidrome"][QUOTE="johnnystarr"]

Slightly. Look at the down grade from San Andreas to GTA IV. There was lots to do in SA but nothing to do in IV. But Red Dead Redemption Did free roam quite well too. There was always something to do, and everything you did felt rewarding.

True, GTA4 certainly was a great game and had some great writing and just general quality but there really wasnt as much stuff to do which dissapointed me. You kind of got thousands and thousands of dollars but nothing to spend it on.
DeanG642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DeanG642
[QUOTE="DeanG642"][QUOTE="Luthreidrome"] Maybe the quality of the free roaming has degraded?Luthreidrome

True, GTA4 certainly was a great game and had some great writing and just general quality but there really wasnt as much stuff to do which dissapointed me. You kind of got thousands and thousands of dollars but nothing to spend it on.

Exactly. There wasnt enough to do, and there wasnt enough to see. Referring back to Mass Effect, you have a huge universe to explore, each planet was massive with lots to do, and everything you did was rewarding. You got money, and there was always something to spend it on. You were given a large number of assignments that could be gained from listening to the radio, talking to people, or even hacking a computer. Everything has a purpose. There was never a time in that game where I stood there thinking "What next?". Games like Oblivion suffer hugely from that problem.
KlepticGrooves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 KlepticGrooves
Member since 2010 • 2448 Posts

Free Roam games need to not only give the player the environment to explore, but also a reason to explore all of that environment.

DeanG642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DeanG642

Free Roam games need to not only give the player the environment to explore, but also a reason to explore all of that environment.

KlepticGrooves
Exactly. See my above post for details about how Mass Effect does this excellently.
KlepticGrooves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KlepticGrooves

[QUOTE="KlepticGrooves"]

DeanG642

Exactly. See my above post for details about how Mass Effect does this excellently.

I wouldn't say Mass Effect did it "excellently", but it certainly had more to do than a lot of other Free Roaming games.

DeanG642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DeanG642

[QUOTE="DeanG642"][QUOTE="KlepticGrooves"]

KlepticGrooves

I wouldn't say Mass Effect did it "excellently", but it certainly had more to do than a lot of other Free Roaming games.

I loved the way Mass Effect did it. Few Games can match that level of Freedom without feeling lost. Its a perfect balance. Where as other games can give you lots to do with not enough freedom, or nothing to do with too much freedom.
KlepticGrooves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 KlepticGrooves

[QUOTE="KlepticGrooves"]

[QUOTE="DeanG642"] Exactly. See my above post for details about how Mass Effect does this excellently.DeanG642

I loved the way Mass Effect did it. Few Games can match that level of Freedom without feeling lost. Its a perfect balance. Where as other games can give you lots to do with not enough freedom, or nothing to do with too much freedom.

Sure, but it's far from a perfect balance. It can be a total bore sometimes, while at other times it's pure genius.

DeanG642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DeanG642

KlepticGrooves

Sure, but it's far from a perfect balance. It can be a total bore sometimes, while at other times it's pure genius.

I will agree there, because at times, the things you have to do are a chore, but that doesnt last long, and luckily doesnt take up most of the game. Like Dragon Age Origins. Some of the parts in that were the worst gaming moments I have ever had, like the circle of mages...
KlepticGrooves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KlepticGrooves

[QUOTE="KlepticGrooves"]

[QUOTE="DeanG642"] I loved the way Mass Effect did it. Few Games can match that level of Freedom without feeling lost. Its a perfect balance. Where as other games can give you lots to do with not enough freedom, or nothing to do with too much freedom.DeanG642

I will agree there, because at times, the things you have to do are a chore, but that doesnt last long, and luckily doesnt take up most of the game. Like Dragon Age Origins. Some of the parts in that were the worst gaming moments I have ever had, like the circle of mages...

Yup, that's why I disagreed that Mass Effect had a perfect balance. It's definitely one of the better games though.

DeanG642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DeanG642

KlepticGrooves

Yup, that's why I disagreed that Mass Effect had a perfect balance. It's definitely one of the better games though.

Without a doubt. I wish more games did that. Its hard to name lots of games with a good balance. Fallout and Oblivion were good freedom wise, but you sometimes had the feeling of getting lost. Dragon Age Origins didnt have as much freedom but had a sense of direction. So much so that the game became much too linear at times. Other games that do it well are unexpected, such as Mario 64.
KlepticGrooves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KlepticGrooves

[QUOTE="KlepticGrooves"]

[QUOTE="DeanG642"] I will agree there, because at times, the things you have to do are a chore, but that doesnt last long, and luckily doesnt take up most of the game. Like Dragon Age Origins. Some of the parts in that were the worst gaming moments I have ever had, like the circle of mages...DeanG642

Without a doubt. I wish more games did that. Its hard to name lots of games with a good balance. Fallout and Oblivion were good freedom wise, but you sometimes had the feeling of getting lost. Dragon Age Origins didnt have as much freedom but had a sense of direction. So much so that the game became much too linear at times. Other games that do it well are unexpected, such as Mario 64.

I think getting lost was the point of playing Fallout and Oblivion. Both games emphasised exploration, and so you never really "got lost", you just found somewhere new. I see the point though.

I considered Mario 64 to be pretty linear anyway.

Each to their own I guess.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Boredom does come quickly without a good story mission.....and no assasin's creed, putting the player into endless repettive mini missions is not making things better, it simply gives an idea of how untalented the developers are.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#21 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
Open worlds are great as long as there's lots of stuff to do aside from the main story. Oblivion, for example, has so many interesting sidequests that you can spend 150-200 hours without ever even touching the main quest.