This topic is locked from further discussion.

Temporius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Temporius
Member since 2008 • 502 Posts
Mk7lk.jpg
This poster appeared at my local gamestop recently. Note the lack of variety for the number of releases. My most recent game purchase was a shooter, though of a very different kind. I'm not happy about these games taking the title of "shooter" exclusively, but I like even less that there are so many of them. There are more FPS coming out this year than RPG and RTS combined. It seems like gaming is turning into just FPS.
GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

I can't believe people are only now starting to catch on to the fact that there are too many shooters.

I've been saying this for a long time.

E3 was full of shooters, shooters and more shooters.

I'd say it's thanks to Call of Duty Modern Warfare and Halo. Those games popularized console shooters.

But I'd say MW was the final nail in the coffin. Ever since that game was released, every developer has tried to mimic it in order to create the next "CoD killer".

XxTerryHxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 XxTerryHxX
Member since 2011 • 47 Posts

I can't believe people are only now starting to catch on to the fact that there are too many shooters.

I'd say it's thanks to Call of Duty Modern Warfare and Halo. Those games popularized console shooters.

But I'd say MW was the final nail in the coffin. Ever since that game was released, every developer has tried to mimic it in order to create the next "CoD killer".

GeoffZak

hit the nail right on the head my friend, i completely agree with you, this gen has been full of shooters.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44150 Posts
Looks good to me. :P Out of those games I'll definitely be getting:
  • Halo 4
  • Call of Duty Black Ops 2
  • Bioshock Infinite
  • Far Cry 3
  • Crysis 3
I'm interested in Aliens Colonial Marines and Dishonored but those are maybes right now.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
yeah there are way too many and the only one i am sort of intersted in is halo 4 and i am a pc gamer... LOL where are teh original FPS tribes ascend made me happy i want to go on adventure but in a FPS or something, or at least try something different SWAT 4 was awesome
Djmaster214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Djmaster214
Member since 2005 • 3240 Posts

could it be becuase the sign is blatantly advertising specificly shooters like it says at the top....SHOOTERS?

Justin_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Justin_G
Member since 2004 • 202 Posts

oh no oversaturation of the market means my favorite games can't catch up in sales!1 oh noes!1

:cry:

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
spec ops the line isnt fps
brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

GeoffZak

Exactly. There's just too much emphasis on shooters today. After E3 all i could think was...... were is the new IPS, or variety in gameplay? What the hell is this?

There's nothing wrong with having a shooter here or there, but when the entire gaming library & future releases has focused on this then we have a problem. If i remember correctly i dont remember even seeing any RPGs, or JRPGs, did you?

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

shooters are a dime a dozen these days and are all pretty much clones of each other. I will be purchasing Alien CM though just because I'm a huge fan of the Alien franchise.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#11 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Hmm, the only one that won't be 6 hrs max and linear is Far Cry 3.

Far Cry 3 >>> the rest of those.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

Well, while they are all shooters they all are't the same. I don't think it's fair to categorize Bioshock, FC3, and Dishonered together. Sure, they all are first person and have shooting, but Bioshock is more story driven, FC3 seems to be more open-world exploring, and Dishonered seems to be stealth or action, depending on how you want to play. Plus, is this that different than the huge amount of JRPGs during the PS2's era?

I'm not trying to defend the genre, as I've grown very tired of it, but there are a few games in there that are different (though, the rest are rather similar).

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#13 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

ironically i plan on picking up:

Dishonored

Bioshock Infinite

Metro : Last Light

Crysis 3

Rainbow Six : Patriots

for sure.

then Far Cry 3 and Aliens : Colonial Marines maybe.

rem_game

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 rem_game
Member since 2009 • 34 Posts

That's what i say. Too many games being released with just a different name tag, different costumes, differences in graphics and tons of gore. Only a few of them are unique.

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#15 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

That's what i say. Too many games being released with just a different name tag, different costumes, differences in graphics and tons of gore. Only a few of them are unique.

rem_game
if those are the variables, you could make the same thing for every other genre. whether it was movies, books, shows, whatever.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#16 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

The only shooter i'm getting this year is Far Cry 3.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Pretty sure Dishonored isn't a shooter. It's from the first person perspective, but not a shooter. And besides, just because a game is a shooter doesn't mean it isn't worth playing. Metro Last Light looks like it could be a great game from what I've seen thus far, and same goes for Bioshock Infinite. Lumping a bunch of shooters together in one category and labeling them all derivative and unoriginal isn't a fair assessment for many of the games.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#18 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Currently there's enough variety out there to keep me entertained, but I really have my doubts about the future though. Making games for next gen consoles will be even more expensive and time consuming, leading to even less risk-taking and more homogeneity in titles. If the next gen is all shooters and mundane sequels to way-past-their-prime franchises, you can count me out.

It's bad for the industry too, as people will eventually get sick of all-shooters all-the-time, and if publishers have their whole livelihoods wrapped up in those things, well...good luck with that.

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts

could it be becuase the sign is blatantly advertising specificly shooters like it says at the top....SHOOTERS?

Djmaster214
Lol
Justin_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Justin_G
Member since 2004 • 202 Posts

opinions of gamers. the world should run off this currency.

Lord_Nas3k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lord_Nas3k
Member since 2006 • 1492 Posts

Mk7lk.jpg
This poster appeared at my local gamestop recently. Note the lack of variety for the number of releases. My most recent game purchase was a shooter, though of a very different kind. I'm not happy about these games taking the title of "shooter" exclusively, but I like even less that there are so many of them. There are more FPS coming out this year than RPG and RTS combined. It seems like gaming is turning into just FPS. Temporius

I really can't help but think that "O" is really a "U."

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

yeah there are way too many and the only one i am sort of intersted in is halo 4 and i am a pc gamer... LOL where are teh original FPS tribes ascend made me happy i want to go on adventure but in a FPS or something, or at least try something different SWAT 4 was awesomeJigglyWiggly_

Have you not checked out what Ground Branch is and will be? If you want something original and built from the ground up and does not follow any mold, then it should interest you, especially the fact that it will support modding (mods are being made for it right now), direct IP connections, LAN play and no DLC, unlocks or leveling. You will get everything from the get go and it includes fully customizable weapons and gear as well as no game balancing for balancings sake.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
It's not just FPS, but shooters in general. Nearly every big release incorporates a shooting mechanic of some sort.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#24 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

GeoffZak

I guess there's just a small handful of us that fel that way.

One of the major turn offs for me this generation was the influx of shooters. Especially first person ones. I can't stand the genre, but they seem to be the only thing getting any sort of attention.

Temporius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 Temporius
Member since 2008 • 502 Posts

[QUOTE="GeoffZak"]

BuryMe

I guess there's just a small handful of us that fel that way.

One of the major turn offs for me this generation was the influx of shooters. Especially first person ones. I can't stand the genre, but they seem to be the only thing getting any sort of attention.

I've been complaining about too many for a while now. I haven't seen them completely take over gaming until recently, though my second most recent gaming purchase was march 2011. My main complaint this gen (the "player is incompetent" mentality) Is either a major cause or a major result of the FPS invasion, i'm not sure which.
DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#26 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Uh, yeah, of course there are going to be a lot of shooters in an advertisement just for shooters.

There are a lot of FPSs, though. And yes, many of them are unoriginal rip-offs that try to cash in on the success of popular games. But people who say the FPS genre lack originality and solely consists of CoD/BF clones clearly haven't investigated the genre. With games/series like Stalker, Arma, Cryostasis, Metro, Red Orchestra 2, Crysis, BioShock and many more titles, FPS developers have added considerable depth to the genre, most of which wasn't there before this generation.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Yeah, it's why I'm moving away from 360, just the general lack of variety.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#28 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

Are shooters the most popular genre? It seems to me that companies would logically focus on what's popular. Still, there are some good shooters that are not along the lines of COD or Halo. Examples include the Dead Space series, Red Dead: Redemption, the Mass Effect games, and the Alan Wake games.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

Doesn't bother me, I don't plan on getting any of them. There are other good games coming out that might not be getting as much attention, but I'm looking forward to them.

Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

This is such a cliched thread.

I've heard this so many times before. If you look at Japan, there are way too many mediocre RPGs.

It's easy when you start looking.