For those who played 'Cyberpunk 2077 PC version' only, was the experience bad for you?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56821 Posts

While I have seen mix views from gamers while they enjoy or hated CP2077, most never discuss PC version alone while most have played on PS4/Xbox One. The last-gen console versions were the major points of contention for everyone but I played the PC version upon release and I hardly ran into any issues or bugs but I cant speak for everyone so yeah, I actually enjoy the game itself despite having a high-end PC. (R9 5900X/RTX 3070Ti my rig)

As the title says, was the PC version good or bad? Just to be clear, I really liked Cyberpunk 2077 but it is far from what was marketed by CDPR and I think that's what the problem was for so many people. That said, I'm not letting CDPR off that easy as they aren't to be trusted for hiding PC footage and such.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58891 Posts

No I thought it was great, but I tend to go into games with a clear head and open mind, and few expectations.

I think the majority of people were disappointed by the fact it was not "GTA: Cyberpunk". That, and of course the technical issues. It was not a sandbox you just hop onto and screw around in.

It was a good action-RPG that took place in a really neat Cyberpunk world.

Positives:

• Neat game world*
  • Good story
  • Interesting builds**
  • Lots of cool NPCs
  • Great looking
  • Solid action and RPG elements

Negatives:

• Not enough customization; you essentially picked clothes based on stats and the combinations had you looking like a clown.
  • *Game world was pretty empty, but again, that's coming from the perspective of someone wanting a GTA clone
  • **The builds could be cool, but as with many RPG's there are exploits and min-max builds and stuff that made a lot of stuff feel pointless.
  • Ran like crap with RTX on. Ran OK with it off.
  • Missing some stuff they said was going to be in there, specifically the verticality. Yeah you could go up some buildings but I was hoping for explorable buildings.

Obviously it wasn't perfect, nor was it what it should have been, but overall it was a good purchase for me. I'd like to get back to it one of these days but I want to wait for ray tracing to get more manageable because I unfortunately had to turn it off (huge performance hit). Waiting for Nvidia to release better DLSS or wahtever it's called, or maybe that thing AMD is releasing will work better.

--------

*edit: with all that said, I don't think CDPR should be let off the hook. They failed to deliver on a lot of their promises, and worst of all they released an unfinished game. The only thing more embarrassing than the state of the game at release is that apparently it sold insanely well.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@davillain:The PC version is great. It was a trainwreck at launch but not near unplayable like the last gen consoles versions apparently were (never tried them). It took a long time of QOL updates and bug fixes before it got to a reasonable state and the progress was incremental, but 1.5 pretty much got it there.

I'd say the PC version is arguably the best because of mod support. Not for all the inevitable nude mods and other nonsense that always comes with mod support but for mods that tweak balance and add features to address the game's issues (much like the massively community supported Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines before it). Obviously you need a pretty beefy PC to get the best experience so depending on your rig you might be better off with running it on a next gen console (even though the next gen console versions STILL aren't out).

Note that there's an unofficial VR mod for it as well. I played all of Act 3 in VR and I've started the game over to play it entirely in VR. It's absolutely amazing like that.

@mrbojangles25: I'm replaying it now with a completely different build from how I'd normally play. I'm big on hacking/talking/guile/subterfuge type builds in games like this. Second time through is straight melee street samurai focused on physical skills like blades and ninjitsu (formerly stealth). It's surprisingly viable to basically never use a gun ever. I started with katanas but the later tree grants access to throwing knives which I never used my first time through but become ungodly powerful as you flesh out those trees. Later perks grant you things like 100% damage bonus against full health enemies, increased crit chance up to guaranteed crits from stealth, additional blade damage bonuses, significantly reduced detection rates, and eliminated knife respawn rates upon headshot or critical hits (which eventually are guaranteed from stealth). Oh, and knives can also inflict blindness and poison. At level 25 I was hitting enemies in the head from stealth for 10,000 damage and I maxed street cred even earlier than my last game because nearly all my kills were takedowns and headshots.

I have a greater appreciation for this game now that I've seen how effectively wildly different builds can be and how they change your whole approach to the game (and not just by changing which ingress point you use for an enemy base).

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 GNS
Member since 2015 • 926 Posts

I played it a couple of weeks after release, but only for 5 hours or so. The emptiness of the world got me out of it pretty quickly, not to mention bugs galore.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By RSM-HQ  Online
Member since 2009 • 11731 Posts

I was gifted the PS4 version and played it on a PS5 (that's why I knew everyone who said "next generation plays it perfectly" are full of shit)

At one point was considering checking out the P.C. version, because it doesn't suffer the bugginess level the lazy console ports got; but community page and well explained reviews have given me the impression I'd still not like the game. So I am choosing not to waste my time/money on this when plenty of other games are worth my attention_

Just seems to me CDPR reached for the skies and fell on their face.

I've read Cyberpunk is still potentially the best looking game on a high-end P.C. and screenshots to match that boast.

Yet undoubtedly a plethora of better ARPG games, open world sandboxes, cyberpunk games; so unless you're killing to test your rig? why put yourself through it. none in my experience. And looking back imaging a world in which I grabbed CP2077 over Valheim is pretty sad. .

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

The only thing I remember actually enjoying was the aesthetic, the look of the world. It truly reminded me of Blade Runner sometimes, especially with the rainy nights and the neon. That was neat for a bit, but when that is the best this game could give me, big oof.

I personally had a feeling it was going to be crap when I saw the E3 footage and saw how awful the AI was so I didn't get my hopes up one bit. I ended up having some fun with it and beat it, but yeah, as others have said, this game is crap. It is empty and devolves to a looter shooter very quickly with terrible enemy AI so it just ruined the potential of what could have been a pretty good RPG shooter.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8833 Posts

It wasn't bad.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I played it on my 970 gtx I enjoyed the experience I didn't run into any gaming breaking bugs. It's weird though I tried a new game a few months back and just wasn't feeling it. Overall it will a good experience my first playthrough I doubt I'll ever replay it again. It just seems like first time was the charm for my enjoyment of that game. I love the way the world looks though but like others have mention the world just feels so empty compared to other open world games it's a shame. I remember CDPR lying before the game was released saying you could go into any building or something to that effect I knew that was BS even back then but man the game needs life to it.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

I played it a week after release and didn't face any game-breaking or noteworthy bugs. It ran fine considering my GPU is not exactly high-end (GTX 1660Ti). Overall, I enjoyed my playthrough. Any action RPG fan should give it a try. It did feel unfinished though, missing essential gameplay systems (like proper police AI or realistic crowds). It's disappointing when you think about what Cyberpunk could have been had they delivered on their marketing campaign.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#10 with_teeth26  Online
Member since 2007 • 11524 Posts

Played it at launch, enjoyed the game but it was definitely rough. the AI stood out as the biggest issue in my memory, both random NPC's and enemies, as well as the broken police system. definitely immersion breaking.

still enjoyed the story and the world, the character customization was great in terms of different builds/abilities. some great side quests as well.

I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a disappointment though, especially after Witcher 3 which is one of my all-time favorites

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

I have experienced almost no problems start to finish. Sadly there was one broken quest. A minor quest that was basically just picking up a car for my collection but still a bummer not being able to complete that one particular quest.

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 760 Posts

I started it on PC recently but it felt a little clunkier than I expected. I ran fine though. I'll play it at some point, I hope.