first person vs third person

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bigchips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Bigchips
Member since 2004 • 636 Posts

with the new boost in technology coming in the next generation of console, which do you believe will be more a dominantly made type of game 3rd or 1st.

I honestly feel 1st has beome washed up. In 3rd you get to see so much more action. I want this next generation to have games like back in the ps2 days

thoughts?

batmobeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 batmobeal
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Though you can see more of what is around your character with third person, i prefer first person because you see only what is in your characters range of vision, making shooters the way they are. Zombie mode in black ops wouldn't be good in third person because you'd be able to see a little of whats behind you, thus taking the surprises out of the game.
Dexter-010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 Dexter-010
Member since 2011 • 494 Posts
It depends on the game. So I don't want to play Gears of War or Saints Row in FPG neither I want to play Battlefield or Halo in TPS
CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
[QUOTE="Dexter-010"]It depends on the game. So I don't want to play Gears of War or Saints Row in FPG neither I want to play Battlefield or Halo in TPS

^This.
VelvetZ5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 VelvetZ5
I prefer 3rd person because is good to see more action, and if you play 3rd is just like you see a movie.the game using 3rd person is amazing too such as GTA IV, ghost recon future soldier,assassins creed and more
beez_wax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 beez_wax
It definitely depends heavily on the type of game, but personally I prefer third-person in nearly everything but shooters. I even spend about half of my time playing Skyrim in third-person, although it does make combat a bit difficult at times.
Messirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Messirr
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I also think that 3rd person is getting more popular. I belive people (including myself) enjoy watching their character in action, with all that beautiful outfits and moves they have.
YoungTamLin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 YoungTamLin
Member since 2009 • 28 Posts
I prefer first person most of the time, it feels more real to me, what you would see if you were actually "in the game".
Avatar image for deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
Member since 2009 • 619 Posts

It depends on the game.Dexter-010

I agree 100% with your comment. Some games wouldn't be good as the other for one reason or another. I personally like third person views because it allows you to look at more. One thing I like about the FallOut/Skyrim series is that I can change from 1st to 3rd with little effort.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#10 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

i like both.

Marios56991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Marios56991
I like both but i like First Person more because it keeps you aware of what it might be behind you , especially in cases like F.E.A.R and you get a different feeling when you play games like this rather that third person that you can see what is around you or controlling the camera to see what's in the turn. But i still think both are good , but some games are made for first person and some other can't be played as FPS .
Avatar image for deactivated-57bcc1891a93a
deactivated-57bcc1891a93a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12 deactivated-57bcc1891a93a
Member since 2010 • 1284 Posts
safe to say neither will ever be abandoned, it's not really just a case of preference both of them contribute to how a game functions as a whole in their own unique ways.
Avatar image for deactivated-584419ec3a052
deactivated-584419ec3a052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 deactivated-584419ec3a052
Member since 2012 • 333 Posts
I like both. First person can tend to be more immersive, so to speak, because you see the world through the eyes of the character you play. But I also like third person. Take a game like Devil May Cry for example; if you pull off all that spinning and jumping and combos in first person it would seem so strange you wouldn't know what's going on. Frankly I don't have a personal favourite because both are beneficial for different reasons.
hpmc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hpmc
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Absolutely depends on the game, and both will live on. Mirror's Edge probably should have been third-person, but worked well as a first-person. Arkham Asylum/City probably wouldn't work as first-person.

Would Tomb Raider have survived and prospered had it been first person?

wkp63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wkp63

Absolutely depends on the game, and both will live on. Mirror's Edge probably should have been third-person, but worked well as a first-person. Arkham Asylum/City probably wouldn't work as first-person.

Would Tomb Raider have survived and prospered had it been first person?

hpmc
Thanks for the info.
iquidamberr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 iquidamberr
Member since 2013 • 37 Posts
I agree with the previous comments that it depends on the game. However, as a person who cannot play a FPS due to seizures (the warning at the beginning of all games...that's my fault sorry). I would like to see games developed with the player being able to chose FPS or TPS as they see fit. I'm sure that is a development nightmare in many cases, so I am left with playing Socom 4 and complaining about it every day!
Avatar image for TheDigitalDeity
TheDigitalDeity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheDigitalDeity

This is just my take on the subject, but if you look at today's digital entertainment and media market - the technologies used as well as the methods of keeping you entertained is very advanced and well done.

Personally I prefer playing games like Gears of War, God of War, Grand Theft Auto and a bit of Call of Duty on the side but the most important factor to me is the aestheticism factor of the game world. So yes, I guess that's where third person would ultimately destroy first person: you get to experience comprehensive and "rich" characters and not just the world.

But market wise, players tend to want to be the character, feel him/her, see what they see. So thus the detail of first person games are greater (just a notch, don't shoot me down now) to make you feel as if you truly are the character. To make it realistically believable that you are seeing what they see.

My final opinion on the subject is that if you look at today's digital entertainment and media market, the era calls for a mixture of the two. Some games make use of both view methods to create an original and compelling experience for the players.

So I say, there isn't really a winner to me, just personal taste.

Some might like a first person view even in games like God of War, where others want a third person view in games like Call of Duty.

catderpillar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 catderpillar
Well for me it depends of the genre of the game. For shooters I want it to be first person. RPGs and such are better with third person.
AloeVera4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AloeVera4
Member since 2007 • 258 Posts

TPS Sucks!!! Plain and simple!! One doesn't live in the third person....so we shouldn't have to play games in it either!

drokmore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 drokmore
Member since 2005 • 1863 Posts
shooters should stay first person. It was always weird to try to react as quickly in third person.
Dang_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Dang_Man
Member since 2013 • 53 Posts
I PREFER 3rd PERSON DUE TO THE FACT THAT YOU FEEL MORE FOR YOUR CHARACTER BY KNOWING WHAT THE CHARACTER LOOKS LIKE AND THE WAY THE CHARACTER CARIES HIS OR HERSELF.
PeterMiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PeterMiller
Member since 2013 • 49 Posts
Personally i like 1stPS and strongly dislike 3rdPS.But you are wrong about one thing FPS are not washed up, they are advanced to more update level while 3rdPS are little behind it. ____________________________________________ The Last Of Us
Dang_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Dang_Man
NOPE-YOU LOSE
Avatar image for deactivated-5b59688fc6492
deactivated-5b59688fc6492

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 deactivated-5b59688fc6492
Member since 2005 • 55 Posts

One word: Skyrim.

Dang_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Dang_Man
WELL THAT ONLY TELLS ME THAT FPS IS GARBAGE-REFER TO A GAME THAT DOESN'T SUCK SO MUCH
Darkefka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Darkefka
Member since 2008 • 894 Posts

TPS Sucks!!! Plain and simple!! One doesn't live in the third person....so we shouldn't have to play games in it either!

AloeVera4

and one isn't an elf or a magician and zombies dosen't exist so games featuring those should not exist?

bmart970

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 bmart970
Member since 2012 • 106 Posts

I personally like full emersion, so I hope 1st person stays.

Avatar image for charlesnitrotek
charlesnitrotek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 charlesnitrotek
Member since 2013 • 90 Posts

Both are great but i think FPS games are more good than 3rd person shooting games..

vivalatour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 vivalatour
Member since 2011 • 1121 Posts

I sure hope 3rd person holds it's ground and then takes off for the sky 3rd person gets me high 3rd person do or die ! I loves my 3rd person gaming !!!!!

malfustheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 malfustheone
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I prefer 3rd person because it is extremely difficult to design a 1st person game where peripheral vision and environmental awareness are well represented.  For example, in a classic FPS, you wouldn't know if anything is immediately to your right unless you moved your focus to it, be it foe or a boulder.  One of my biggest turn-offs in an FPS is strafing into an obstacle, and having to shift focus to it to navigate around it.  In TPS, you get the feel of what is around your character like you would irl.  You can move about with a more realistic awareness of the obstacles.  Granted, you normally wouldn't have a clear view of what is immediately behind you, but I prefer a greater than realistic vision range more than looking through blinders.

lordnitrodead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32 lordnitrodead

Well i love both equally honestly 

EvyiStone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33 EvyiStone

The floating camera view with a gun hovering in your face is the least realistic way to play a game.

Look down, Do you see your feet?

Games have amazingly real character models and equipment textures, and you don't see any of that in FPS mode (besides maybe gloves). If I earn some flashy gear i wanna look at it.

Luckily this lame FPS view with die out soon because in the next few years the REAL First Person View will take over (Virtual Reality). 'Oculus Rift' is already available in Beta form and a more polished version is coming out as soon as next year. Another company is developing the 'castAR' glasses which are slightly different with cameras on each eye.

Welcome to a realistic first person view.