Final Fantasy XIII Official Thread (56k, Reviews are in!)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

Releases March 9th 2010 on PS3 and 360.

Reviews:

Review Embargo Ends tomorrow morning, some sites have posted theirs early...

Gamespot-8.5

IGN UK- 8.3

Game Informer- 9.25

CVG- 9.2

Eurogamer- 8.0

Movies:

International Trailer

Demo Walkthrough

TGS Trailer

US Release Interview

Paradigm Shift Interview

Screens:

D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 D3s7rUc71oN
Member since 2004 • 5180 Posts

From the reviews I've read the most impressive thing about this game is its technical achievement, gameplay is great too. It seems that this clearly isn't the best in the series.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44139 Posts

Great thread. Oh man does this game ever look fantastic. Looking forward to seeing the reviews start rolling out tomorrow. I'm definitely looking forward to finally getting the game in my hands next week even moreso though. :D

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

I took some screens for the sake of proving there are towns. Maybe you're interested? They're not quite as nice as the pics you have posted, but ..

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
Is it fair to say that this is the first main series' FF game I'm skipping at launch? I bought every FF game (since FFVII) at launch, but I think I'm going to skip this one for now. I'll still play it later on, of course, but there are just so many weird game design choices for this that leaves me with a sour note that I just can't get over. In other words, it just doesn't sound like an JRPG but more like a interactive movie. The reviews seem mixed but one thing they do agree on is the ultra-linearity of the game, which is a love it or hate it thing. For me, it's the latter especially after the excellent open-ended FFXII. This one seems like a step backwards for the series even though graphically it's a huge leap forward. Like the IGN UK review said, graphics and presentation isn't enough. Sadly I feel that way.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ASK_Story

From the reviews I've read the most impressive thing about this game is its technical achievement, gameplay is great too. It seems that this clearly isn't the best in the series.

D3s7rUc71oN
Which is a huge bummer considering how long it took them to finish this!
Avatar image for SteveTabernacle
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 SteveTabernacle
Member since 2010 • 2584 Posts

D3s7rUc71oN
I wouldn't have expected it to be. I think that toppling Final Fantasy 6, at this point, is only possible by well.... remaking Final Fantasy 6
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SteveTabernacle
For me, it's the latter especially after the excellent open-ended FFXII.ASK_Story
The less like Final Fantasy 12 this game is, the better.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ASK_Story

[QUOTE="ASK_Story"]For me, it's the latter especially after the excellent open-ended FFXII.SteveTabernacle
The less like Final Fantasy 12 this game is, the better.

That's YOUR opinion, not mine.

But I do agree with you on FFVI.

SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SteveTabernacle
That's YOUR opinion, not mine.ASK_Story
I think that was fairly obvious as is, since I posted it and you did not. ;)
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SteveTabernacle

I took the time to read the IGN UK review, and it reaffirms everything I already knew, more or less. Not the best Final Fantasy in his view, but very likely the best JRPG we've had so far this generation. I liked Eternal Sonata and Tales of Vesperia, but they they just didn't quite scratch my itch. I have yet to finish Lost Odyssey because my last copy had a bum third disc and I just kind of lost interest by the time I got it replaced I may actually play it the next few days to get in the mood, as it's so far been the closest thing we've had to a Final Fantasy this gen. Either that or Final Fantasy 8. (vastly underappreciated game) The most recent NEW "J" RPG (actually made in Korea) I played was Magna Carta 2, and it was only midly less toxic a product than the first one on PS2.

I'm looking forward to washing the taste of that game out of my mouth with this. Too bad he didn't review the 360 version, I'm still intrigued to see how the two versions compare. I'm getting both, PS3 for my first play through, and 360 for my second. Speaking of the 360 though... when will SE let me pay them too much money to dress up my stupid avatar as Snow? Oh and the North American IGN site will not be reviewing the game until Monday, as the PS3 version was their lead platform for review, or some such thing, but was delayed due to the APOCALYPS3 affecting the debug units most sites use for reviews. I guess they don't want to post them seperately. I hope this didn't also delay Gamespot, if any editor reads this and wants to opine, please do.

Kreatzion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Kreatzion
Member since 2003 • 6468 Posts

I already preordered my copy for the XBOX 360 yesterday. I'll be up bright and early on Tuesday to get this game. Also, it's Spring break for me so I will have a few days to play this game without any interruptions.

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts

I already preordered my copy for the XBOX 360 yesterday. I'll be up bright and early on Tuesday to get this game. Also, it's Spring break for me so I will have a few days to play this game without any interruptions.

Kreatzion

Why wouldn't you get the PS3 version (just curious)? Unless you have a SDtv than it wouldnt really matter.

Personally Im kinda glad its really linear, I get confused with JRPGs and end up getting stuck with world maps. I remember playing Chrono Cross and eventually got stuck once the world map opened up, I even had a 60 page guide! I enjoyed the towns in that game though so its unfortunate that won't play a big role in this game (termina was really memorable). Ya that was my last JRPG besides the little I played of FFX but nonetheless I look forward to this.

I don't see future FF's being better in this regard cause their main problem was how expensive and time consuming it was to make towns with the lush HD graphics and all that. I mean, look how long it took to make this, a super linear game with minimal towns. Imagine if they went the traditional route. I wouldn't mind prerendered backgrounds tbh if it blended well with everything else.

Kreatzion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kreatzion
Member since 2003 • 6468 Posts

[QUOTE="Kreatzion"]

F1Lengend

Why wouldn't you get the PS3 version (just curious)? Unless you have a SDtv than it wouldnt really matter.

Personally Im kinda glad its really linear, I get confused with JRPGs and end up getting stuck with world maps. I remember playing Chrono Cross and eventually got stuck once the world map opened up, I even had a 60 page guide! I enjoyed the towns in that game though so its unfortunate that won't play a big role in this game (termina was really memorable). Ya that was my last JRPG besides the little I played of FFX but nonetheless I look forward to this.

I don't see future FF's being better in this regard cause their main problem was how expensive and time consuming it was to make towns with the lush HD graphics and all that. I mean, look how long it took to make this, a super linear game with minimal towns. Imagine if they went the traditional route. I wouldn't mind prerendered backgrounds tbh if it blended well with everything else.

I have an HDTV. I'm getting the XBOX 360 version because that's my main system. I usually only buy exclusive titles on my PS3 minus Dead Space, Dragon Age: Origins, and RE5. The only reason I got Dead Space and RE5 for the PS3 was because my XBOX 360 was acting up at the time of their releases. Dragon Age is due to the XBOX 360 version being sold out on Black Friday.

Rusteater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Rusteater
Member since 2004 • 4080 Posts

rragnaar

Good to see the giant chickens are back!:P

Reminds me of that awful movie "Chicken Park".

Yes, it's a movie about an amusement park with giant chickens running amok Jurassic Park sty|e.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rragnaar
Looks beautiful. But I may wait till after GoW3 to pick it up. Even though I disliked FFX there is no denying it was a great game, I feel this will be the same thing.dvader654
I'm getting it as a birthday present, otherwise it would probably be taking a back seat to GOW3.
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SteveTabernacle
[QUOTE="rragnaar"] I'm getting it as a birthday present, otherwise it would probably be taking a back seat to GOW3.

Isn't it great when major game releases coincide with or come very close to a birthday? I got Heavy Rain for a present, really helped my game budget, especially going into this coming two weeks.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rragnaar
[QUOTE="SteveTabernacle"][QUOTE="rragnaar"] I'm getting it as a birthday present, otherwise it would probably be taking a back seat to GOW3.

Isn't it great when major game releases coincide with or come very close to a birthday? I got Heavy Rain for a present, really helped my game budget, especially going into this coming two weeks.

It is pretty great. March would be pretty tough on my wallet if my birthday wasn't coming up.:)
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rragnaar

I took some screens for the sake of proving there are towns. Maybe you're interested? They're not quite as nice as the pics you have posted, but ..

hakanakumono
I don't know that I've got any more room in the first post, but you can feel free to post them in here.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 rragnaar
[QUOTE="rragnaar"][QUOTE="dvader654"]Looks beautiful. But I may wait till after GoW3 to pick it up. Even though I disliked FFX there is no denying it was a great game, I feel this will be the same thing.dvader654
I'm getting it as a birthday present, otherwise it would probably be taking a back seat to GOW3.

March birthdays for the win. Happy early birthday to you.

Likewise!:)
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#24 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

About the issue of linearity, do gamers have much choice when it comes to games of other genres? Why not think of it as "not just a JRPG" and play it the way it was intended?

I'm picking this up on the EIGHTH!

CrimsonpugTwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CrimsonpugTwo
Member since 2004 • 2220 Posts

From what I hear its ultra linear until Chapter 10 (out of 13) - and then in opens up just as much as any other Final Fantasy game - you also can't really grind out your levels until then either do to Chapter related level caps. I'm really not sure that it bothers me too much. I really like the stories presented in these games - and if the focus really is on the story early on that may be a bonus, and I usually don't really grind or search out hidden treasures until the end of the games anyways so that isn't really a flaw to me.

One thing I DO like - and its something I loved about Last Remnant - is the fact that you heal after every battle automatically. So if you win you don't need to item up on the map like you do usually. If its anything like Last Remnant was than that will mean that every battle should feel like a boss battle or mini-boss, you may not be able to just dominate every enemy like in past FFs. Some may not like that - but to me it was one of the better aspects of LR.

Regardless - I'm sure I'll enjoy the heck out of this game like I do most every Final Fantasy, and I can't wait till Tuesday to finally start playing.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts
Definitely looks great.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rragnaar

Digital Foundryhas their comparison of the PS3 and 360 versions up.

GamesRadar - 10

IGN AU - 8.4

Edge- 5/10

The reviews are really all over the place.

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts

Edge are just attention whores, pay no attention to them.

Oh, happy March Birthdays guys, mines in 1 week, but I don't get presents...I could sure use GOW3 though.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 rragnaar

Gamespot gives it an8.5. The review embargo is up, so I'll be digging around for more reviews.

LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts

Edge are just attention whores, pay no attention to them.

Oh, happy March Birthdays guys, mines in 1 week, but I don't get presents...I could sure use GOW3 though.

F1Lengend

Pay no attention to any in general...

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#31 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts

D3s7rUc71oN
Agreed. Most of the reviews focus on the game being very pretty and shiny, but at the expense of side quests, towns, being too linear, etc.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

Here are some towns that don't exist:

LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LikeHaterade

In terms of linearity here, which I see many people are disappointed to hear about, IMO it's a non-issue. FFIV is probably the most linear out of them all, and it has always been my favorite in the series, and probably always will be. That game had a lock on the storyline and you had no control over who was in your party. That doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing. In fact, it's a nice break from all of the nonlinear games today. Just my $.02

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nocoolnamejim

In terms of linearity here, which I see many people are disappointed to hear about, IMO it's a non-issue. FFIV is probably the most linear out of them all, and it has always been my favorite in the series, and probably always will be. That game had a lock on the storyline and you had no control over who was in your party. That doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing. In fact, it's a nice break from all of the nonlinear games today. Just my $.02

LikeHaterade
There are advantages and disadvantages to each approach.
LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LikeHaterade

[QUOTE="LikeHaterade"]

nocoolnamejim

You are correct. I think that many should just go into this game with the right mindset. Linearity doesn't necessarily have to be poor. If the game has an outstanding storyline, I'm not complaining.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nocoolnamejim

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"][QUOTE="LikeHaterade"]

LikeHaterade

You are correct. I think that many should just go into this game with the right mindset. Linearity doesn't necessarily have to be poor. If the game has an outstanding storyline, I'm not complaining.

True enough. I'm trying to keep an open mind, but I'm a bit disappointed in how linear the game is being described. I was hoping that Square would take a few more chances and do a few things differently. Kind of feel that they've fallen behind some of their western counterparts of late because they're sticking to a pattern that has been working for 20 years. Doesn't mean it won't be a great game though. Square DOES have a pretty good track record. On balance though, I'm not as excited about this game as other recent titles in the main series. FFXI aside - which in my opinion does not count - this is the first game in the main series released in the U.S. that I am not getting on release day since I started playing the series way back in FF1.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44139 Posts

[QUOTE="dvader654"][QUOTE="rragnaar"] I'm getting it as a birthday present, otherwise it would probably be taking a back seat to GOW3.rragnaar
March birthdays for the win. Happy early birthday to you.

Likewise!:)

Well Happy early Birthday to you guys. Mine is also this month but not until the 28th and I can't wait that long so I'll be picking up FFXIII myself next week. Isn't March just the greatest month ever. :P

SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SteveTabernacle

"They don't have any towns!"

Dude posts pictures of towns.

"They didn't do enough different!"

Reviews cite how different the game is as a possibly divisive point for fans.

Oh internet, you never cease to amuse and confuse.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 nocoolnamejim

"They don't have any towns!"

Dude posts pictures of towns.

"They didn't do enough different!"

Reviews cite how different the game is as a possibly divisive point for fans.

Oh internet, you never cease to amuse and confuse.

SteveTabernacle
Reviews are consistent in stating that there ARE towns, but few and far between. Nobody, to my knowledge, has stated that there are NO towns in the game. As for doing things differently...is it surprising that some people want MORE changes from the standard formula and others want LESS? There are quite a few fans of FF out there...
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SteveTabernacle

I was reading the Digital Foundry comparison of the two versions, and they made it sound like the 360 version is good enough, but vastly inferior to the PS3 version. But I honestly couldn't tell, even seeing the video witht he games running side by side, they look like the exact same game, sans a bit more studdering on the 360 version. By the way they worded it, I expected the 360 side of the screen in their video to look like Sega CD FMVs or something. So I guess it really doesn't matter a bit. I was pretty sure this would be no "Bayonetta" incident, and I still think I'm right. The 360 has far more JRPGs released on it so far, and when you compare FF13 to them, it is easily the most technically proficient JRPG on the system.

LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LikeHaterade

is it surprising that some people want MORE changes from the standard formula and others want LESS? There are quite a few fans of FF out there...nocoolnamejim

There have been so many games in the series, that each game has changed in it's own way(some small, others drastic). From the looks of it, FFXIII is sticking to it's roots in terms of linearity, and bringing in what looks like some new, flashy gameplay that still has that FF, look and feel, to it. Looks and sounds great. My opinion anyways.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#42 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
gah. GoW3 and ffxiii are coming out so close to each other and i still havent even bought heavy rain.
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 nocoolnamejim

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"]is it surprising that some people want MORE changes from the standard formula and others want LESS? There are quite a few fans of FF out there...LikeHaterade

There have been so many games in the series, that each game has changed in it's own way(some small, others drastic). From the looks of it, FFXIII is sticking to it's roots in terms of linearity, and bringing in what looks like some new, flashy gameplay that still has that FF, look and feel, to it. Looks and sounds great. My opinion anyways.

I think this comment gets into differences in WHAT areas people want changes or don't want changes. For example, I think the deviations from the standard formula when it comes to having lots of towns to explore, minigames, sidequests, etc. would be a bad thing if true. These are cIassic hallmarks of the FF franchise and a lot of what I love about the series would be lost if these things were taking away. On the other hand, I'd really like some deviations in terms of introducing more decision making that leads to branching story arcs (like many WRPG games have) and less linearity. But that's just me.
LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LikeHaterade

I think this comment gets into differences in WHAT areas people want changes or don't want changes. For example, I think the deviations from the standard formula when it comes to having lots of towns to explore, minigames, sidequests, etc. would be a bad thing if true. These are cIassic hallmarks of the FF franchise and a lot of what I love about the series would be lost if these things were taking away. On the other hand, I'd really like some deviations in terms of introducing more decision making that leads to branching story arcs (like many WRPG games have) and less linearity. But that's just me.nocoolnamejim

Exactly. That is what I was trying to get at before. :P

To each his own.

SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SteveTabernacle
On the other hand, I'd really like some deviations in terms of introducing more decision making that leads to branching story arcs (like many WRPG games have) and less linearity. But that's just me.nocoolnamejim
I prefer a finely crafted premade story, myself.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

damn...so much for it being the best jrpg this gen

Demons Souls still takes the crown. (I think..if you even consider it a jrpg anyway)

SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SteveTabernacle

damn...so much for it being the best jrpg this gen

Demons Souls still takes the crown. (I think..if you even consider it a jrpg anyway)

Shinobishyguy
Ehhhh.... I'm still not so clear on that one. Technically it's a JRPG. But in how it actually plays, it feels nothing like most others. I mean, when I played the old King's Field games, I certainly didn't think they were in the same genre as my Final Fantasy games, ya know?
LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LikeHaterade

It's just one of those things about numerical reviews that I hate with a passion. GS recognized the linearity of the game in a negative fashion, and therefor the game suffered in the score. Oh GS... Can't take you serious anymore, along with any reviews based on numerical scale. Here's a good example on what I believe reviews should be.

Sorry to change the subject. Back on topic, does anyone know if the creatures that are summoned controllable as in X, or will they have an awesome cut-scene, and then disappear?

Strider_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 Strider_91
Member since 2007 • 6570 Posts
Can't wait to get, reviews are looking promising.
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 nocoolnamejim
[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"]On the other hand, I'd really like some deviations in terms of introducing more decision making that leads to branching story arcs (like many WRPG games have) and less linearity. But that's just me.SteveTabernacle
I prefer a finely crafted premade story, myself.

There are advantages to each. But it IS possible to have a finely crafted premade story that still allows for SOME arcs. (For example, Chrono Trigger)