Final Fantasy X, XI, & XII; Are they worth the time and money?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShockT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ShockT
Member since 2008 • 146 Posts
I have played every FF up till X, and I'm thinking about investing in a used PS2 to get these games, but I have questions and concerns. Do any of them have the active time bar battle system? I understand XI is an MMORPG, so is it any good and do people still play it? Is X-2 any good? I think there is voice acting but is it good? Are the story lines good? Do you still use limit breaks and Summons/GFs the same way? Do you use materia? Do you use the junction system? IS IT WORTH IT? If you guys answer those questions I'll be really thankful.
Malango23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Malango23
Member since 2007 • 74 Posts

X is brilliant, so much to keep you amused, you should 100% play it. XII is ok, but it's purely fighting and nothing else, even the subquest/minigame is just more fighting, and the story is very very poor, if you like story play X its very involving and a lot deeper than XII. and as for XI I've refused to play it as it's too addictive and a waste of time, just more fighting and my friends got addicted then wished they hadn't ever started it.

[edit] Oh also if you're getting a PS2 (which you should) there are many, many great RPG's on it, I'd also totally recommend playing Rogue galaxy.

K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#3 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
I did not like FFX or FFX-2 but if you are a FF fan I would say get them.They are dirt cheap and some parts are very interesting.The Gameplay was the strongest points in those games for me.Now I never played FFXI but make sure you have an old school PS2 and not a slimline cause the slimline does not have the hard drive needed to play the game.I am pretty sure alot of people still play the game.What I did not like about the game was this.There are no pre-paid cards like WOW,The game charges you 13 bucks a month.And on top of that there seems to be alot of other MMOs out there that are alot better and free.
bad_fur_day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 bad_fur_day
Member since 2008 • 1988 Posts

Definately keep playing them. Those three are all quite different, you may like one more than the others.

Final Fantasy Online is great, I would recommend if you have a two friends that would play with you, you could pretty much explore the whole game, there still a huge community playing. The lower levels are not full anymore. But the good thing about FFXI is you can switch around and level any job you like from level 1 on the same character. So theres allways people leveling in the lower levels.

bad_fur_day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bad_fur_day
Member since 2008 • 1988 Posts

I'll answer your questions.

Yes get a PS2. Their awesome. Also get Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the cursed King and Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. Excellent RPG's.

FFX has a conditional turn based battle system. FFX-2 is ATB. FFXI is MMO. FFXII is MMO/ATB type thing.

Yes FFXI is great. About 200 thousand people still play. Mosly higher levels now though.

Play FFX-2 if you really liked FFX.

Voice acting is high quality, can be a bit cheesy.

Storylines for XI are stunning. XII was a bit boring. Not sure about X and X-2.

The battle systems are different everytime. No materia, no GF's, no junction. Sphere grid system, sub-job system, liecence board system.

Yes, anyone and everyone will tell you there worth it and buy a PS2 immediately.

Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts
X was crap XII was way better best in the series story way better i think but i like politics.
ShockT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ShockT
Thanks. But what other rpgs are on the PS2 besides whats already been said?
Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

FFXI is a MMORPG.... Pay to Play... and is better suited for the PC. THe only type of PS2 that FFXI can be played on are the fat PS2's, equipped with a Harddrive. It may be able to work on the PS3, but I don't know. And I think it was moved over to the Xbox360, but not sure on that either. Not the sort of game I'm into.

As for the others, I can't say. I'm not you. But FFX is story orinated, and FFXII is gameplay orinated. Usually those that liked one, don't like the other. I favor FFX, myself.

What other RPG? SMT: Persona has taking over the Final Fantasy's crown. Persona 4 was just released a few days ago and is what PS2 JRPG gamers are playing right now. And Persona 3 is what got people to notice.

Xenosaga Ep 1-3 is good for those that like SciFi with heavy cutscenes. Shadow Hearts Convent is a good one (along with Shadow Hearts.). Radiata Stories, valkyrie Profile 2, Tales of the Abyss, SMT: Nocturne, SMT Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2, Star Ocean 3, Ar Tonelico (although extremely easy), Steambot Chronicals, Metal Saga, Growlancer Generations... Dark Cloud 2.... Kingdom Hearts... and a few more

Malango23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Malango23
Member since 2007 • 74 Posts

X was crap XII was way better best in the series story way better i think but i like politics.Poshkidney

Are you being serious??? It had a pitiful story. no depth at all and what was there was cliche and bland, FF is famous for deep twisting stories with compelling characters, FFXII had neither of those, it was just a glitsy battle MMO single player bore.

Thanks. But what other rpgs are on the PS2 besides whats already been said?ShockT

There's honestly too many great RPG's on the PS2 to list. Have a look on google for top 10 PS2 RPG's or top 20 or what ever. It's a fantastic console if you're an RPG fan.

Here - http://forum.cla ssicamiga.com/showthread.php?t=206

delete the space after, '.cla' gamespot didn't like the link.

Also you can play any PSX game on the PS2 so there's even more RPG's for you and the PSX has millions!

Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#10 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts

X: Yes. It's a good game, and you can find it cheap.

Don't know about XI.

XII: NO! Awful game. Just.....just don't play it.

Shiggums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#11 Shiggums
Member since 2007 • 21436 Posts
FFX and FFXII were both great games. Idk about FFXI however, being it's an MMORPG...
limonface32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 limonface32
Member since 2008 • 135 Posts
I have Final Fantasy X and it is so worth it!
Chrono66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Chrono66
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts
I say stay away, I think the series went downhill after 7.
bigd575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#14 bigd575
Member since 2008 • 6192 Posts
FFX is really worth it and FFX 2 is if your really like X don't know about FFXI but FFXII is also really great.
wackoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wackoss
Member since 2004 • 702 Posts

You should invest in a used PS2 because it has a large library of games with lots of variety. And a used one is pretty cheap. You can get PS2 games on the cheap, just go on ebay and do a search for bundles, sets, etc. Personally I have both Final Fantasy X and XII up for sale - bundled with 8 other games with starting price of $24.99. item number: 280294441901

FFX is my favorite in the series because of the battle system - 3 character battles but you can swap party members in and out, there's a timeline of the all the character's and enemies turns so there's no guesswork involved (I hated the ATB because if you weren't lucky and timed things wrong, it could mean game over). The story is different in that it's not very epic in scale - it's more about the characters - who they are, how they became the way they are. Only the female lead can call on summons (there's only about 8 of them) and you actually control them in battle, they're not like magic spells. There are limit breaks but are called overdrive.

FFXII is like vagrant story for the PS1 (made by the same teams I think). It's more european in design and even story is a more western - about politics, large scale wars between kingdoms. I hate the upgrade system in FFXII - you have to buy licenses in order for a character to know how to use a different type of weapon, armor, magic. Then you still need to spend exp. points to actually learn those moves.

ShockT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ShockT

You should invest in a used PS2 because it has a large library of games with lots of variety. And a used one is pretty cheap. You can get PS2 games on the cheap, just go on ebay and do a search for bundles, sets, etc. Personally I have both Final Fantasy X and XII up for sale - bundled with 8 other games with starting price of $24.99. item number: 280294441901

FFX is my favorite in the series because of the battle system - 3 character battles but you can swap party members in and out, there's a timeline of the all the character's and enemies turns so there's no guesswork involved (I hated the ATB because if you weren't lucky and timed things wrong, it could mean game over). The story is different in that it's not very epic in scale - it's more about the characters - who they are, how they became the way they are. Only the female lead can call on summons (there's only about 8 of them) and you actually control them in battle, they're not like magic spells. There are limit breaks but are called overdrive.

FFXII is like vagrant story for the PS1 (made by the same teams I think). It's more european in design and even story is a more western - about politics, large scale wars between kingdoms. I hate the upgrade system in FFXII - you have to buy licenses in order for a character to know how to use a different type of weapon, armor, magic. Then you still need to spend exp. points to actually learn those moves.

wackoss
Cool, thanks.
planetvash112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 planetvash112
Member since 2006 • 598 Posts
Try Star ocean 3:till the end of time, if you want one hell of a story (better than FFX and FFXII IMHO)
TaCoDuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TaCoDuDe
Member since 2006 • 3239 Posts
For what it's worth, I enjoyed FFXII quite a bit more than X.
drswank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

#19 drswank
Member since 2002 • 943 Posts

FF X was great for its time, but was a step back in some respects compared to the older games. Still, the characters are totally memorable. Auron, Wakka, they're all awesome.

FF XII, however, was the best PS2 FF by far.

-starman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -starman-
Member since 2008 • 2822 Posts

I liked Final Fantasy 10 quite a bit, but have never played through to the end. I would recommend it, as long as you can get past how annoying Tidus and Wakka are.

I played FF 11 A LOT when it first launched on the PS2. Great fun, especially if you like level grinding. I will say this, though... I stopped playing for a while, and then went back when they let you re-activate your old character. If you have no one to play with, those first areas are Ghost Towns. No one is there anymore. Not fun. It can be a real time bandit, too. It's pretty much all I did for the summer I got it. No exageration.

FF12 is actually my favourite since FF7. Huge game. Lots to do. Plenty of side quests, and I didn't find the licensing system to be bad at all. You can even challenge yourself by taking on the optional bosses before you're supposed to. I easily spent 100 hours playing, and still didn't get everything.

Of those three, I would recommend FF12 the most, followed by 10, then 11.

Blackace237

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Blackace237
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I won't rehash too much of what has already been said, except to say that yes, they are worth the time and money. The intros may seem to pick up slowly, I'm thinking of X-2 specifically, but stick with it, and I think you'll be more than satisfied. I'm actually getting ready to start my third complete playthrough where I'll hit X, then XII, then X-2.

Plus, there is so much evidence to warrent picking up a PS2, it'll be totally worth it. When I got mine last Christmas, it was for FFX. Great games can be easily found for cheap, unlike other legacy consoles like the GC, etc. Expect this to eventually change, but now is a great time to pick up a slimline and start playing through some of the hits.

vidplayer8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 vidplayer8
Member since 2006 • 18549 Posts

Although I do agree that XII deviated a lot from the original games, I still felt it was a good game. But for sure you need to get FFX, I wouldn't really care much about XI with it being an MMO, but thats me.

For other RPGs, I would consider picking up Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean (I haven't played it, but I've always heard good things).