Final Fantasy VI definitely has the best story in the series

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

I've been playing it again on the GBA and it reminds me how much I loved FFVI (FFIII SNES) and the story.

I think FFVI got it right when it comes to a good story. The other FF's after it had its moments, but they never could compare or surpass the whole impression that FFVI left off. Every part of FFVI was good when it comes to story. For example, in FFVII, FFVIII, FFX, FFXII, etc., they had its moments of good storytelling, but that was just it, just moments. The other parts of the game had too many weird concepts, storytelling, and a lot of mumble jumble in them. But the moments were good...but it still wasn't succesful in the storytelling that FFVI had. The characters were also more memorable in FFVI.

The only thing FFVI can be criticised is that it maybe to melodramatic. But that should be obvious since it's a old game and on the SNES. But still, for its time, it still left the best impression.

Anyway, that's just what I think. I'm sure many would agree with me...but I'm also sure a lot of post-FFVII players will argue and flame me with all their reasons why FFVII is the best...but you know I'm right. FFVI has the best story in the series.

Also to note, I didn't say FFVI was the best FF in terms of gameplay, etc...but as far as story goes, it was.

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Phantom_Leo
Member since 2002 • 7090 Posts

I normally poo-poo the remakes, but I can't wait to see Terra, Shadow, Locke... hell, even Kefka... No. Wait... ESPECIALLY Kefka, in full, glorious 3D!

These were some of the most memorable characters in the entire FF Series. To see them re-imagined now... I CAN'T WAIT ! ! !

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ASK_Story

I normally poo-poo the remakes, but I can't wait to see Terra, Shadow, Locke... hell, even Kefka... No. Wait... ESPECIALLY Kefka, in full, glorious 3D!

These were some of the most memorable characters in the entire FF Series. To see them re-imagined now... I CAN'T WAIT ! ! !

Phantom_Leo

Me too. I really hope Square-Enix remakes FFVI on the DS like FFIV.

Last time I heard, the developers doing the remakes stopped to do a original game. That's cool, but I hope they come back and finish the remakes off.

I'm quite sure they will eventually get around to it, but I can't wait! I want it NOW!!! :cry:

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44551 Posts
Yeah it was a great game and all but I preferred the stories in FFVIII and FFX more myself.
Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#5 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
Damn straight. Best game in the series (that I've played, mind you).
Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts
I'd give the title to Final Fantasy VIII for the best storyline in the series, but just barely. Whereas it was an emotionally intense and intimate inspection of an unusual love story, VI was a sweeping examination of characters under the machinations of war. VIII hit home a bit more, but VI was a more well-rounded story.
OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
i loved the story if VI. i think i might like FFVII overall slightly more, but i do like VI's story the most out of all of them. VII had other aspects that took it further for me. being the first in 3d, the cinematic experience, all of that made a little more impact to me. its hard for me to even pick between them, but when i think of FF the first game that comes to my mind is VII. either way, those two are tops in my book. next is a tough call between IX and X, with VIII and XII following. X2 never happened.
N3MO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 N3MO
Member since 2002 • 20333 Posts
VI is an amazing RPG to me. I can still play it and enjoy it thoroughly. And while the GBA port had a nice updated script, the edits they made to parts of the game irked me too much for me to ever play through that version. I just stick to my SNES copy.
OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts

Phantom_Leo

actually judging from the character art, kefka is the one character i prefer to remember as a sprite. he didn't look so girly that way :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8225b86ff49
deactivated-5c8225b86ff49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5c8225b86ff49
Member since 2005 • 605 Posts
IMO, Final Fantasy got a lot more interesting after their writer lost his mind. VII was incredible, VIII was weird and semi-enjoyable, IX was awesome, X was pretty good. I found the earlier games to be very monofocal.
jubeio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 jubeio
Member since 2006 • 1578 Posts

finally someone has mentioned FFVII my god

FFVII VIII IX and X had the most memorable characters

and the best story line

the people i know hwho have played all the FF games including I and II on PS1

they all mentioned Cloud and sephiroth and blank and tidus

ok blank was a bit strange but we still love him even thouhg hes hardly in the story

which shows he has made a brilliant impression

butthese are just my opinion

and no i dont like these mroe because theyre more recent

i just preferred the stories

although FF IV and VI did have fanatstic sotries

kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts

I'm among those who counts VI as my favorite in the series and probably my second-fave all-time RPG behind KOTOR. It wasn't so much the main story that did it for me as much as it was the characters, their back stories, and the little events they go through during the game. It's still my favorite cast of characters in any game bar none, and I feel as if many of them are strong enough characters to support an RPG of their own as a main character. All of them had their own tragic past or skeletons in the closet or experienced something like that along the way, and I was moved each time I learned about them... and I'm very seldom moved by anything in a game. I admire FFVI very much; I feel its ambition was ahead of its time and I hold it a notch above every other FF game I played, even the ones that are truly great in their own right.

N8A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 N8A
Member since 2007 • 18602 Posts

Phantom_Leo

me too...i loved this game when it first came out and i still love this game.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts
In my opinion IV > VI story line wise and IV > VI over all.
Almighty_Ganon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Almighty_Ganon
Member since 2008 • 665 Posts
I would normally agree but this game ticked me off today so I'm keeping quiet.
sackem51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 sackem51
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
The esper system was great. When general Leo died it was pretty memorable. Emperor Gehstahl got chucked over the ledge. Dont forget the music though. Remember when kefka came on to the scence and his intro music came on. Shadow had a cool intro music too. Best game in the series.
MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts

I'd have to agree, VI still offers up the best plot, the most interesting characters, and best villian of the series followed closely by VIII.

The rest of the FF games are really lacking by RPG standards, IMO.

UltimaSlayer94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 UltimaSlayer94
Member since 2008 • 411 Posts

Phantom_Leo

I can, seeing as how all the 3d remakes suck.

UltimaSlayer94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 UltimaSlayer94

I just finished ff6 gba myself.

Don't you say crap about FF7 story... its just as good, if not better.

5UPERMARIO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#20 5UPERMARIO
Member since 2006 • 1204 Posts
I almost cried at the ending of FFX, I loved the story in FFX.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ASK_Story
[QUOTE="Phantom_Leo"]

UltimaSlayer94

I can, seeing as how all the 3d remakes suck.

Really? Remake(s)?

They only remade one, which was the old NES FFIII that never came out in the states. And FFIV is not even out yet, unless you played the Japanese version.

So what other remakes have you played that you would call them suck? :?

UltimaSlayer94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 UltimaSlayer94
No, but FF3 on the DS sucked. FFIV looks insanely similar, and looks like they're ruining the game balance (obviously you don't stay informed), so I'd much rather play the advance version.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ASK_Story

No, but FF3 on the DS sucked. FFIV looks insanely similar, and looks like they're ruining the game balance (obviously you don't stay informed), so I'd much rather play the advance version.UltimaSlayer94

Obviously, you don't stay informed.

Have you ever played FFIII before? I mean, the original version, the one that never came out in the west, you know, the one that was on the NES and in Japanese only? So how can you know if they ruined the balance when that was the first time we ever had the chance to play it? Tell me? How do you know if they ruined it?

Your logic makes no sense. You're criticising it for being unbalanced, AND you're saying that this unbalance is carried over to the FFIV remake for the DS, which you haven't played yet. So tell me, where's this thinking coming from?

By the way, you don't know much about JRPGs do you. I bet you never played FFIV or FFVI when it came out. I'm talking about the SNES version. You probably never played the earlier FF's like the ones on the NES. You know why the game feels unbalanced? Well, could it be because they're old school RPGs? Could it be because these games came out probably before most of us were born? And the remake of FFIII on the DS is just that, a faithful remake with a few adjustments, but the old school, punishing gameplay, is intact. And from the previews and impressions I read so far of FFIVDS from places like 1up and others, all say it's like the FFIV of old. So how can you say it sucks or imbalanced when first of all, it's a faithful remake, and secondly, you never played the original FFIII or the FFIV remake yet?

So tell me, am I really misinformed or are you just criticising these games because you just have a unreasonable hatred for them?