Final Fantasy Discussion

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ff1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ff1976
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I'm hoping to attract REAL FF fans to this topic. I've been playing FF games since 1990. I live in the US, so my 1st four were FF1, 4, 6, and 7. FF7 and 6 are my favorites. 7 being 1st by a mile. I know that some fans don't like FF7 as much as others do. There will never be a game that pleases absolutely everyone. But, there ARE games that please MOST of the people interested in that particular genre or franchise. I've been playing FF games for 22 years. I rate the games based on overall quality from the time they were 1st released until I finished the 1st play-through. I've noticed over the years that there have been some key elements of FF either removed or replaced by something not so great. For me, this was most noticeable starting with FF8. No armor, no accessories, and each character stuck with one weapon to upgrade, to name a few things. I remember when I read about FF10 being in development. I didn't read much more about it because, I didn't want to run into any spoilers. The 1st thing I thought about was how awesome the world map was going to be..... I enjoyed the story, I thought the turn-based battle system was well done, the graphics and music were great as always, and...... as I was playing through the game I kept thinking.."Hmm. No open world yet". I reminded myself about FF7. I was about 9 or 10 hours into that game by the time I escaped Midgar. I fought a lot of battles. lol Anyway, no open world map. It was a sad moment, and another example of key elements being removed. Oh! Before I forget. Tidus is the worst main character in FF history. I know, I know! MY opinion. Well, as I mentioned above, my fav is FF7. It was the only FF game I had zero complaints about through the entire game. I could write a book... I'm all for adding new things to the franchise, but it's as if square has taken a wrecking-ball to what worked for most of the fans. You take what works and build around it. Also, they talk about not having enough people to remake FF7. That wouldn't bother me if ALL they were working on was a new and epic FF with all of the key elements that a FF game SHOULD have. I'll stop here for now. I'm looking forward to reading some posts. I had this post split into multiple paragraphs. I'm new to these forums. What the heck am I doing wrong? lol
yamanekoLynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 yamanekoLynx
Goog evening ! I'm French, so i'm sorry about my bad writing. I'm very surprised this topic attracted nobody ... i'm a Final fantasy fan... No I WAS a FF fan. More precisely about squaresoft than Squarenix. I began with FF7 then 8, 9, 6, 5, 10, 4, 3, 12 and 13. (and the amazing FF tactics) FF7 and FF9 are my favorites. The 7 thanks to its amazing, facinating story and...Sephiroth. I also enjoyed the materias system ! and the 9 thanks to its graphics, its fairy world, musics and...Kuja ! unfortunately, fights were boring and slow. I was alwas disapointed after FF10. no story about FF12 and too linear about FF13. I think the franchise is of lower quality since Squaresoft have consolidated with Enix and its Dragon Quest franchise. This low quality is due with the departure of Hironobu sakaguchi and Nobuo umatsu too. My favorite hero is squall. I love his dress and his personality even if i don't mind he irritating. My favorite female character is Aerith. she is very engaging. My worst hero is Van. I hate everything ! My worst bad boy is jecht and the guy in FF12 (sorry I don't remember his name). If you want an open world, you would play to Xenoblade. A very good game !!
tommygun6644

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 tommygun6644
Member since 2003 • 180 Posts

Final Fantasy went down the tubes with the Enix merger back in 2000 or so. I have enjoyed a few of them since but they aren't nearly as good as older ones.

The best lineup in FF history was the PSX. 7, 8 and 9 were breaktaking and the best in the series.

SteelPenguin90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SteelPenguin90
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Good work! Love talking final fantasy. Firstly, my order of greatness would be: 1st ff7, 2nd ff8, 3rd ff10, 4th ff9, 5th ff4 and the rest is pretty much irrelevent.

I wish I was born a bit earlier, born in 1990, so yes I'm 22, and my first ff was 7, and tbh I think I'm pretty lucky, although 6 is pretty good.

That's not far away from my favorite games of all time list by the way, throw fallout 3 in 3rd and oblivion and skyrim in there somewhere and jobs done!

FF8's junction system is the best thing ever once you learn to manipulate it, it's basically a case of slappin' ultima on different things across your characters. FF9's ability system makes the game quite easy because you can grind for an hour inbetween plot points and "be **** 7 is my favorite because you are forced to explore to find materia and new equipment, and it makes you want to progress through the story to get the more powerful items.

And then there's 10. Sphere grid... celestial weapons... mirrors, chocobo's, balloons, seagulls and frustration... crests, sigils...there's almost too much, until you realise you seriously need them to fight in the monster arena. The monster arena is basically an entirely seperate game and it's marmite all over. I love it but I hate it.

10-2, just don't even go there, the plot isn't actually THAT bad but the gameplay... dresses? Really? I gave up after that, tried 13 and wasn't impressed.

Remakes/remasters of 6, 7, 8 and 9 would make me one happy man.

yamanekoLynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 yamanekoLynx
I didn't played about FF10-2. Only 3 main characters...only women ?? A sequel ??? No possible for FF fans. Although FF13-2 seems good. I really hope a remake about FF5, FF6 (why not on 3ds) and FF7 on PS3 (I'm dreaming) just like the technical display of PS3 few years ago. I love Final fantasy mainly FF 7 but my 1st three about japanese RPG is FF7, Xenogear and Chonocross...
BasilVZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#6 BasilVZero
Member since 2006 • 1971 Posts

Been a fan of the series since 1991 but didnt get into the series until 2003 when I purchased my first Final Fantasy game(s) which were FFIX and FFX.

I played FFIV and FFVI on the SNES in the 1990s but didnt get to actually own it (was renting).

My most favorite Final Fantasy games (mainline series) include:

1. Final Fantasy VI (SNES-GBA)
2. Final Fantasy IX (PSX)
3. Final Fantasy VII (PSX)
4. Final Fantasy X (PS2)
5. Final Fantasy IV (SNES-GBA)
6. Final Fantasy XII (PS2)
7. Final Fantasy VIII (PSX)
8. Final Fantasy V (SNES-GBA)
9. Final Fantasy I (GBA-PSX-PSP)
10. Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)
11. Final Fantasy III (NES-NDS)
12. Final Fantasy II (GBA-PSX-PSP)

Havent played FFXI or FFXIV cause their MMORPGs T.T

Spinoff wise my top favorites include:

1. Final Fantasy Tactics/War of the Lions (PSX-PSP)
2. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA)
3. Final Fantasy Legend III (GBC)
4. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (GCN)
5. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (SNES)
6. Final Fantasy Adventure (GBC)

Still a few others I played didnt list them.

Spinoffs on Mainline series

1. Final Fantasy Dissidia/Dissidia 2
2. Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core
3. Final Fantasy X-2
4. Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings

Again missed a few yet to play them but do own them.

I've watched both movies (didnt like the Spirits one, but loved advent children).

Watched a bit of the recent anime too.

Guerdonmyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Guerdonmyth
Member since 2012 • 28 Posts
I must admit I have only completed final fantasy 8 and I did it 2 times. FF7 and 9 are nice but I never finished them. FF 13 was very bad and at one point it got very hard with no save point and I had to repeat the same so many time and couldn't get past Ifrit. 7,8 and 9 dont overdo moviescenes and cutscenes, the others do. Final fantasy series all have some really hard battles but most are easy or just right. It still annoys me that there are saving points only.