soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

So it's that time again and the most enduring battle in all gaming is back. I've had a lot of time with both these games and thought I'd make a number of comparisons. Right off the bat, I'm going to say that I would NOT RECOMMEND buying either if you have the last entry for PES or any of the last 4 entries of FIFA.

However, if there is someone on the fence with regards to buying one of these, then hopefully this helps you make up your mind.

Game Engine - Tie

Facial likeness - In all honesty, FIFA wins this one hands down. A football game has finally hit the heights of Fight Night Champions and/or the recent MLB update. Skin, hair, kits, textures, everything is as good as it's ever been. It's all helped along by beautiful lighting which really gives the players and referees an added sense of realism. PES is by no means bad but it just looks a bit flat, the players looking more like mannequins than ever before.

Animation - This battle isn't so one-sided but it goes to PES. FIFA has a weird, jerky movement to it's players, who almost seem to bounce across the pitch. PES 17 isn't as smooth or realistic in movement as last year's edition (why is that???) but it's better than EAs offering. Turns look smother and play out faster while tackles have a bit more physicality to them.

Ball Physics - You'd think a game all about kicking balls would have this down to a tee but sadly, both developers are guilty of some genuine weirdness. FIFA 12 had the best, most realistic ball movement I've seen in a football game but with EA slowing down the pace of their gameplay, the ball moves in a stop, start manner. With PES, there's always been a similar issue, especially when you watch the replays and at times, the ball just glides through the air with, completely at odds with reality. A pathetic tie.

Presentation - Winner: FIFA

Ok, so FIFA wins this hands down...like, it's not even a competition. In it's heyday, you could make excuses for PES's lack of team licenses, stadiums, players and just general lack of real world presentation but in recent years, with how far sports games have come, it's no longer an excuse to be like this. In fact, it's plain lazy. Can't afford a license? Fair enough but then, at least put together better player kits rather than the orange and blue that seems to be thrown together (wtf) and every kit having the same damn stripes...again, wtf? How lazy can one team be.

FIFA on the other hand is a juggernaut in this category. Every game looks like it is being presented by Sky, the transfer deadline day is actually fun, commentary is better and (surprise) not so repetitive. PES literally recycled 99% of everything from last year when it comes to the men in the box. The Master League menu has been improved but it's still just as static and just as...stupid? Yeah, that's the right word. It's still a hassle just to see your entire calendar, something so simple should not be so obtuse.

I know I'm shitting all over PES in this section but they deserve it. It's 2016 not 2002.

Gameplay - Pick your poison

So, the most important category of all and it's the toughest one to judge. As with last year, FIFA is better on the defensive front whereas PES is a supreme attacking game with better passing, although that smoothness is nowhere near as good as PES 2016. Much like FIFA, the players seem to be heavier, slower and lesss receptive to quick passing. EAs game has gone full "let's slow everything down to a crawl" but Konami's still maintains a sense of pace. I like that.

Having said that, with PES, it seems like we have time traveled back to 1998-2006 era of FIFA games where you can get your player, at an angel, just at the edge of the box and power a shot into goal. EVERY DAMN TIME. No matter the difficulty. It really is that easy. There were similar complaints about that last year and we were told that it was down to simplistic goal AI. Supposedly that's been improvement, however I haven't seen the improvement. Marketing speech?

With regards to FIFA, it's a more measured approach bordering on being too slow and too...boring. I know, that's a bad word for any game. Players seem to move and receive balls at a snails pace and everything gets clogged up in midfield. Where's the beautiful game? It's like watching an Italian side from the 90s. However, to their credit, you can, with patience, put together intricate moves resulting in much more satisfying goals than PES.

So, I guess it boils down to, what you prefer. Fast, attacking football or a slower, more defensive game that isn't as attractive. I personally pick the former, just.

Bang for your Buck - Winner: FIFA

Now, there's one big addition The Journey and it's a lot of fun. The story is predictable but handled well and the objectives presented throughout each match had a new dynamic to everything and shows EA really did try this year in giving us a different experience. For the addition of The Journey, a brand new mode, I gotta give this section to FIFA. There's just so much more to do in EAs game then on PES.

I know this is a big point for a lot of gamers. I haven't had a chance to play much of either so can't give a genuine opinion just yet. Having said that, from what I've read elsewhere, there doesn't seem to be much of a change on either side. FIFA has the better match making from what I remember.

So there you go folks. Both are subpar sports/football games with better iterations in the past but if you want graphical updates, team updates, play the latest version of the card games and continue online, then you might wana buy one of them. I'd say FIFA edges it just because of the overall package but if you can do without the teams, players, presentation and modes, then you could easily go for PES. Just be warned, you will be annoyed.

Overall Winner - FIFA

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

There is a section you missed out "Career Modes"

Fifa career mode vs PES Career, more specifically "BAL" vs "Be a Pro"

These are the forgotten modes that in my opinion are the most realistic and definitive way to play any team sports title. I've always thought controlling the whole team is weird and unrealistic.

You dont have one entity controlling every move the player makes, each player is an individual and makes decisions, playing as one player replicates this the best.

Have not played Fifa yet because its not released yet, but already growing tired of PES, for the slight edge in gameplay it has its way behind in all other area

qazwsxedc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By qazwsxedc
Member since 2015 • 15 Posts

I interviewed some of the reps from both FIFA and PES recently. Check them out below:

Interview with Garreth Reeder, Producer on FIFA 17 - http://prankster101.com/articles/interview-with-garreth-reeder-producer-on-fifa-17/

Interview with Adam Bhatti of Pro Evolution Soccer 2017 - http://prankster101.com/articles/interview-with-adam-bhatti-of-pro-evolution-soccer-2017/

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 soul_starter

@thehig1 said:

There is a section you missed out "Career Modes"

Fifa career mode vs PES Career, more specifically "BAL" vs "Be a Pro"

These are the forgotten modes that in my opinion are the most realistic and definitive way to play any team sports title. I've always thought controlling the whole team is weird and unrealistic.

You dont have one entity controlling every move the player makes, each player is an individual and makes decisions, playing as one player replicates this the best.

Have not played Fifa yet because its not released yet, but already growing tired of PES, for the slight edge in gameplay it has its way behind in all other area

Ah, you mean the individual mode. Yeah, both are ok but I'm not a fan of that. I prefer guiding a team through the various tournaments. Agreed with your last point entirely.

@qazwsxedc said:

I interviewed some of the reps from both FIFA and PES recently. Check them out below:

Interview with Garreth Reeder, Producer on FIFA 17 - http://prankster101.com/articles/interview-with-garreth-reeder-producer-on-fifa-17/

Interview with Adam Bhatti of Pro Evolution Soccer 2017 - http://prankster101.com/articles/interview-with-adam-bhatti-of-pro-evolution-soccer-2017/

I'll check them out later. Thanks!

Nirogol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5  Edited By Nirogol
Member since 2015 • 511 Posts

@soul_starter said:

Having said that, with PES, it seems like we have time traveled back to 1998-2006 era of FIFA games where you can get your player, at an angel, just at the edge of the box and power a shot into goal. EVERY DAMN TIME. No matter the difficulty. It really is that easy. There were similar complaints about that last year and we were told that it was down to simplistic goal AI.

What are you talking about? are you sure you played PES 2017?

it's clear you loved FIFA more but don't be ridiculous...

TheBAILGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheBAILGuy
Member since 2016 • 16 Posts

I have to say now I have the full version of FIFA I am so disappointed

The gameplay is clunky

Defensively your players just stare at the ball

The AI seems worse than ever as players just stand still

Online games ALWAYS LAG... Regardless of who I am playing

Speed means nothing one second and then everything the next

Passing never goes where you aim

There is a longer delay between pushing a button and anything actually happening

On a POSITIVE, I played a couple hours on "The Journey" last night and really enjoyed it.

But I'm just so fed up with EA... SORT YOUR SERVERS OUT!

Don't fix what ain't broken (Defensive positioning)

Oh and the cut scenes with the referees are just soooooooooo frustrating, how long does he want to take to get a card out FFS!!!

Also, why is it always red for me?

Rant over...

Maybe I should try PES

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Think you posted this "review" in the wrong section. Perhaps try again in systemwars. I'm sure you will get a much "likeable" response from the people there.

But i prefer FIFA , PES has always been to arcade like for me.

Also the Hunter mode in FIFA really hit the spot, only sad thing is that it´s only a single season but i guess you could not really make it any longer.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 soul_starter

@nirogol said:
@soul_starter said:

Having said that, with PES, it seems like we have time traveled back to 1998-2006 era of FIFA games where you can get your player, at an angel, just at the edge of the box and power a shot into goal. EVERY DAMN TIME. No matter the difficulty. It really is that easy. There were similar complaints about that last year and we were told that it was down to simplistic goal AI.

First off, right at the beginning of my post I point out there's no point in buying either version this year if you have previous years.

Second, PES 2017 has a far more arcadey, fast, feel to it. That's just a fact. I know hardcore PES fan can't get their heads round them being the inferior simulation but that is the case. It is A LOT easier to score and like I said, at particular angles, your ball always goes to goal. Try it.

Fifa has been more of a simulation for 7 or 8 years now but this year they have slowed it way down, which makes intricate passing (PES excels at this) too difficult to be entertaining.

@Jacanuk said:

Think you posted this "review" in the wrong section. Perhaps try again in systemwars. I'm sure you will get a much "likeable" response from the people there.

Also the Hunter mode in FIFA really hit the spot, only sad thing is that it´s only a single season but i guess you could not really make it any longer.

It's not a system war though, it's a game war!

Nirogol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Nirogol

@soul_starter said:
@nirogol said:
@soul_starter said:

It is A LOT easier to score and like I said, at particular angles, your ball always goes to goal. Try it.

Two chances are possible : or you played the game at really easy level, or you are a genius.

i found myself struggling almost every game just to create chances near the box!

i would like to play against you online and see what you're talking about cause it sounds weird to me...

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By soul_starter

@nirogol said:
@soul_starter said:
@nirogol said:
@soul_starter said:

It is A LOT easier to score and like I said, at particular angles, your ball always goes to goal. Try it.

Two chances are possible : or you played the game at really easy level, or you are a genius.

i found myself struggling almost every game just to create chances near the box!

i would like to play against you online and see what you're talking about cause it sounds weird to me...

Run to either side of the box, use a player like Sanchez or Messi, cut in and press shoot (I use circle). Bang, it works every time. You can ramp it up all the way to world class if you like. Obviously, you have to be experiences at football games.

I'd play you online (and teach you a thing or 2) but like I said, I don't recommend buying either one if you have previous versions and I've followed my own advice.

Nirogol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nirogol

@soul_starter: I'll try it...it's even hard to get to the situation you can shoot the ball, and this is why i liked PES so much this year. it's harder than ever...you need to plan your moves and not just to run and shoot and that's it. the players you've mentioned are very skilled shooters so it probably be easier to score with them.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jacanuk

@soul_starter said:
@nirogol said:
@soul_starter said:

First off, right at the beginning of my post I point out there's no point in buying either version this year if you have previous years.

Second, PES 2017 has a far more arcadey, fast, feel to it. That's just a fact. I know hardcore PES fan can't get their heads round them being the inferior simulation but that is the case. It is A LOT easier to score and like I said, at particular angles, your ball always goes to goal. Try it.

Fifa has been more of a simulation for 7 or 8 years now but this year they have slowed it way down, which makes intricate passing (PES excels at this) too difficult to be entertaining.

@Jacanuk said:

Which is included in the systemwars forum.

If you want a debate about anything vs anything gaming related, be it software, hardware, companies etc... you should really post it there.

No other forum can get up on each barricade and go crazy :)

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 soul_starter

@Jacanuk said:
@soul_starter said:
@nirogol said:
@soul_starter said:

@Jacanuk said:

If you want a debate about anything vs anything gaming related, be it software, hardware, companies etc... you should really post it there.

I dont want crazy!

@nirogol said:

@soul_starter: I'll try it...it's even hard to get to the situation you can shoot the ball, and this is why i liked PES so much this year. it's harder than ever...you need to plan your moves and not just to run and shoot and that's it. the players you've mentioned are very skilled shooters so it probably be easier to score with them.

Trust me, I did it with a player from one of the lower PL teams too. Multiple times at that.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jacanuk

@soul_starter said:
@Jacanuk said:
@soul_starter said:
@nirogol said:
@soul_starter said:

@Jacanuk said:

I dont want crazy!

@nirogol said:

Trust me, I did it with a player from one of the lower PL teams too. Multiple times at that.

LOL ok ok :D

Ya crazy is what you get down there.