FFXIII opinions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

I bought it on Amazon and am going to play it hopefully sometime soon. I hear so much bad about it, I was wondering what everyone's take was.

I was just shocked to see how many people ranked it in their top 3 RPG's this gen in a SW thread.

#2 Posted by Planeforger (17317 posts) -

I've got mixed feelings.

On the one hand, the combat system is excellent. It takes forever (many, many hours) to really show off what it can do, and its complexity is mostly wasted on basic/easy enemies, but during the bigger boss battles...it definitely shines.
The game also looks fantastic, has heaps of content, and the non-linear section (about 30 hours in) is actually quite enjoyable. You can easily spend dozens of hours just wandering around that place doing sidequests.

On the other hand, the characters are terrible. Truly unbearable. Sazh was the only likable one of the lot, for me.
Also, the story is very poorly told - the setting is actually kind of interesting, but the game doesn't bother to explain any of it - it just jumps right into a bunch of scenarios and expects the player to read the glossary to work out what's going on.

Capping that off, the gameplay is extremely linear. Like, you've got one path through 80% of the game, with a couple of detours here and there. At times that works - it keeps everything flowing nicely, but at other times it's really mind-numbingly dull.

Anyway, I think I enjoyed it overall. It has a lot of shortcomings, but I was able to overlook most of them because of how much I liked the flow of the combat.

#3 Posted by Jackc8 (8515 posts) -

I absolutely hated it when I first got it. Gameplay is practically non-existent, you just press X to spam "relentless assault" on about 90% of the enemies throughout the game, the story is confusing as hell, and the characters didn't do much for me. After 13 hours I traded it in declaring it the worst excuse for a video game I'd ever seen.

But then a year or so later I decided to give it another chance and ended up loving it. Sure the combat is still nothing, but I enjoyed the atmosphere and the environments, I grew to like the characters, and on my second time through I understood the story better and got into that as well. Ended up platinuming it.

So I guess you could say I had mixed reactions to it :)

#4 Posted by JordanElek (18562 posts) -

I've got mixed feelings.

On the one hand, the combat system is excellent. It takes forever (many, many hours) to really show off what it can do, and its complexity is mostly wasted on basic/easy enemies, but during the bigger boss battles...it definitely shines.
The game also looks fantastic, has heaps of content, and the non-linear section (about 30 hours in) is actually quite enjoyable. You can easily spend dozens of hours just wandering around that place doing sidequests.

On the other hand, the characters are terrible. Truly unbearable. Sazh was the only likable one of the lot, for me.
Also, the story is very poorly told - the setting is actually kind of interesting, but the game doesn't bother to explain any of it - it just jumps right into a bunch of scenarios and expects the player to read the glossary to work out what's going on.

Planeforger

Agreed on the combat, though you can still make use of the complexity on easy enemies if you want to. You don't NEED to, but you can kill them a little bit faster by using everything in your arsenal. And one of the best changes in the battle system is the elimination of MP. It's so freeing to be able to go all out on easy enemies without worrying about wasting MP on them when you don't need to.

But I disagree concerning the characters and story. The characters all have complete archs, from weak to strong, and are much better developed than most Final Fantasy characters. All of the characters are frustrating at the beginning, but they're supposed to be, since that makes their progression more meaningful and welcome.

And the story probably only makes sense if you read the datalog entries to fill in the gaps of how that universe works. I honestly thought it was the easiest Final Fantasy story to comprehend since VI, at least until the very end where it kind of goes off the rails.... and you might as well just forget about making any sense of it at the beginning of XIII-2. But as a stand-alone story, I think XIII's is the best of the series, mainly because that universe is so fleshed out and unique. In a way, it's like Mass Effect for me - the actual narrative isn't as interesting as the universe it takes place in.

#5 Posted by TrainerCeleste (1633 posts) -
The game is absolute bore in the start combat wise. A little over half way through the game it starts to get fun. The story and the environment is what makes the game a nice one to play :P you need to stop and smell the roses per say to really enjoy it xP
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
#6 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (20930 posts) -
Unlike 99% of jrpg it's not vomit-inducing
#7 Posted by Thefatness16 (4673 posts) -

I was enjoying it until my save corrupted. I tried to replay it, but after two hours I was done. Never played it again.

The extremely linear level design doesn't work well on further play throughs.

#8 Posted by TrainerCeleste (1633 posts) -

I was enjoying it until my save corrupted. I tried to replay it, but after two hours I was done. Never played it again.

Thefatness16
Is it always like that? I can't bear to play through all of it because I feel like I have been going in a straight line for the 7 chapters that i've played T^T
#9 Posted by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -

it's mediocre actually, i remember loving every non mmorpg ff until 12, but xiii was dissapointing, they stripped everything that made a ff great, but is a "decent" game

#10 Posted by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -

Unlike 99% of jrpg it's not vomit-inducingBlack_Knight_00

bashes jrpgs,

hypes generic fps

:lol:

#11 Posted by TrainerCeleste (1633 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Unlike 99% of jrpg it's not vomit-inducingKrelian-co

bashes jrpgs,

hypes generic fps

That seems to be how it goes o3o
#12 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

the combat takes for ever to introduce its mechanics (it will be disappointing if you played xenoblade recently, which gives the player enough to work with right away), but it eventually turns into one of the best systems in the series. SE eliminated the monotony and trial and error of a lot of the past games' combat while still letting the player make the big decisions that win battles. the other aspect that really helps is the balancing offered by the staggered level caps which stop the bosses from feeling too easy.

the world is just terrible though. it feels so stagnant. the hallways with meticulous wallpaper everybody talks about are flat, but the overworld that you eventually stumble onto is equally lifeless. landmarks are nearly nonexistent, giving no character to what is supposed to be a stylized world. monsters run around in frequent and predictable patterns. weather changes after obviously scripted events, an inexplicable downgrade after FFXII.

#13 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (20930 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Unlike 99% of jrpg it's not vomit-inducingKrelian-co

bashes jrpgs,

hypes generic fps

Your idea of generic is hilarious
#14 Posted by Solid_Link22 (5698 posts) -

I really enjoyed it.

#15 Posted by Archangel3371 (22914 posts) -
Excellent game. I rank it 3rd in best Final Fantasy games right behind FFX and FFVIII.
#16 Posted by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -

[QUOTE="Krelian-co"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Unlike 99% of jrpg it's not vomit-inducingBlack_Knight_00

bashes jrpgs,

hypes generic fps

Your idea of generic is hilarious

you are right far cry is the second comming of jesus, is not worth my time to argue with people like you, keep bashing anything not fps related

#17 Posted by JordanElek (18562 posts) -

[QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

TrainerCeleste

Is it always like that? I can't bear to play through all of it because I feel like I have been going in a straight line for the 7 chapters that i've played T^T

No, there's a point in the game that has SO much more of an impact since you've had very little freedom until that point. When I played it, I had no idea that that point was coming, so when it did, I was absolutely thrilled. It does take too long to get there, and the battle system unlocks way too gradually, but some of the payoffs mitigated all of that for me. The story also drove me through the game without feeling like the linearity was sucking the fun out of the game.

#18 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (20930 posts) -
second commingKrelian-co
/thread
#19 Posted by TrainerCeleste (1633 posts) -

[QUOTE="TrainerCeleste"][QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

JordanElek

No, there's a point in the game that has SO much more of an impact since you've had very little freedom until that point. When I played it, I had no idea that that point was coming, so when it did, I was absolutely thrilled. It does take too long to get there, and the battle system unlocks way too gradually, but some of the payoffs mitigated all of that for me. The story also drove me through the game without feeling like the linearity was sucking the fun out of the game.

Good :P I know it does unlock way too slow, I just unlocked something else and I'm like 7 chapters in or something :P I feel like the whole game has been one big tutorial XD I'll get to that point eventually I guess it's just been so boring thus far :P
#20 Posted by Metamania (12031 posts) -

All I'm going to say is that it's the worst Final Fantasy in its history and leave it at that.

#21 Posted by Allicrombie (26207 posts) -
its horrible, horrible!
#22 Posted by Justforvisit (2660 posts) -

It IS indeed a great RPG, but it's the worst Final Fantasy ever. Please don't think the whole series is like that. Earlier SE-FF's are waaay more FF and show what made them what they are (or at least HAVE BEEN) than XIII.

Problem with XIII is: You could slap any other name on it and nobody EVER would have assumed this was meant to be a Final Fantasy title.

#23 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

13 and 13-2 are two of my top 3 favorite games this gen. I love the combat, graphics, artstyle, music, and polish the games have. I just couldnt put them down when i was playing them.

#24 Posted by Vickman178 (866 posts) -

Its main flaw is its linearity...

#25 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1390 posts) -

Even if it is supposedly the "worst final fantasy" its still a decent RPG. Go ahead and try it. Both XIII and XIII-2 are pretty cheap now I think.

#26 Posted by TrainerCeleste (1633 posts) -

Even if it is supposedly the "worst final fantasy" its still a decent RPG. Go ahead and try it. Both XIII and XIII-2 are pretty cheap now I think.

Lucky_Krystal
It's like 10 bucks now in US :3 Which really isn't bad for how much play time you get out of it. Even if you are walking straight most of the time :P
#27 Posted by wiouds (6233 posts) -

I enjoyed the story. I enjoyed it much more than FF6. The combat was not bad. The liner was not that big deal.

#28 Posted by mooooo99 (1251 posts) -

i really like ffxiii, i have it down as one of my favourite games.

yeh, it may take some time getting off the ground , but i found the gameplay solid, and it looks fantastic. definately worth playing i think.

#29 Posted by Alter_Echo (10724 posts) -

ITT : People who played for 10 hours and either never got to or skipped the challenging stuff commenting on the "push button to win" combat system.

Go try spamming relentless assault on vercingetorix or a toise and then come back and complain about how you got curb stomped in 3 seconds because your ARGHHH AUTO BATTLE playstyle doesn't work.

Linearity aside, the only problem I have with either game is that the difficulty ( complete lack of ) for a majority of the game allows you to completely ignore what is IMO, the best combat system yet in the entire series.

#30 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (20930 posts) -

ITT : People who played for 10 hours and either never got to or skipped the challenging stuff commenting on the "push button to win" combat system.

Go try spamming relentless assault on vercingetorix or a toise and then come back and complain about how you got curb stomped in 3 seconds because your ARGHHH AUTO BATTLE playstyle doesn't work.

Linearity aside, the only problem I have with either game is that the difficulty ( complete lack of ) for a majority of the game allows you to completely ignore what is IMO, the best combat system yet in the entire series.

Alter_Echo
Exactly, the combat was really good, despite what people say about it. One of my issues with most jrpg is that combat gets in the way of pacing and storytelling: mostly with random encounters and boss fights that are impossible unless you stop and grind for experience fighting hundreds of identical enemies in the same place for a few hours, while all you want would be going on with the story. FFXIII had all of the above, granted, but the combat system was more natural and entertaining, rarely so frustrating that you got stuck (final area aside) and even grinding was kind of fun, considering you barely have to touch the controller while doing so. Being able to quickly put one or more characters on auto-healing duty cuts micromanagement considerably, leaving you free to come up with offensive strategies instead of fumbling through endless menus and submenus. They took a cue from class-oriented multiplayer RPGs and automation systems like the one in Dragon Age. I think more japanese games should follow that same path.
#31 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -
i think it's a great game, however sometimes in the battle system, it's more of a coincidence that skill that makes you lose the battles. Also the there was something missing which i can't point my finger on in the main story. I gave it a 8.5 in my review
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
#32 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (9065 posts) -
It's decent, the game has it's high and low points that both add up to be an OK game. FFFXIII-2 bored me for all the jumping around different time periods and false sense of exploration.
#33 Posted by GamerForca (7203 posts) -

I've got mixed feelings.

Capping that off, the gameplay is extremely linear. Like, you've got one path through 80% of the game, with a couple of detours here and there. At times that works - it keeps everything flowing nicely, but at other times it's really mind-numbingly dull.

Anyway, I think I enjoyed it overall. It has a lot of shortcomings, but I was able to overlook most of them because of how much I liked the flow of the combat.

Planeforger
This sums it up really well in my opinion too. Except for the "I enjoyed it overall" part. I didn't enjoy it, or particularly hate it. It was just kind of THERE.