FFXIII Battle System Details and Famitsu Scans

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

PS3 Hyper has details from the newest Famitsu magazine article about FFXIII... it is sounding and looking excellent.

Battles in FFXIII take place on the spot and depending on the command being used, the viewpoint will change automatically in order to present a battle that is fast and smooth. If there are other members in the party, they will help you out with moves such as follow-up attacks on enemies that you just sent flying away. You can also switch to other characters on the fly during battles.

Command Stock: Players select the "Action" (the five buttons near the bottom left of the screen) they would like to use, which is then moved to the Command Stock slots (three slots above the Action buttons) to be executed in turn. Some "Action" buttons seem to have several layers behind them, which means you'll have more than five actions to choose from.

Command Cost: Each of the "Action" has a number attached to them, this is the "Cost" or the number of slots that particular "Action" will take in the Command Stock. For example, you can have three Fire command in the list since it's "Cost" is only 1 but you can only use Firaga, which costs 3, if you have three empty slots in the Command Stock.

Enhanced ATB (Active Time Battle): The bar underneath Lightning's name (the one with 444 value) indicates that the game will be using ATB system, where players can perform various actions before it's empty. However, ATB in FFXIII is a little different and can be controlled by the players as it is affected by the kind of commands being executed in the Command Stock. Commands with larger "Cost" will drain the bar faster compare commands with lower "Cost".

Symbol Encounter: Enemies are visible on the map and again there will be no battle screen transition.

Chain & Bonus: Located at the top right of the screen, Chain shows the number of consecutive hits you inflicted on the enemies while Bonus' use is still unclear at this point. Previous reports shows "Overclock" in place of Bonus, Famitsu says this probably has something to do with increasing certain ability of your character. The word "Break" can be seen replacing "Chain" in some screens, still no official words on that but Famitsu says it probably related to Final Fantasy VII's Limit Break.

Enemy's HP: Unlike previous games, enemies' name and HP are displayed.

Demo

In typical Square Enix fashion, you can only play the demo, which was announced at TGS2008, by buying the expensive versions ofFinal Fantasy VII Advent Chirldren Complete. Three versions of the Blu-ray disc were announced actually,First Print Normal EditionandPlayStation 3 Bundle First Print Normal Editionwill have the demo (Final Fantasy Versus XIIIandFinal Fantasy Agito XIII's trailers also included) while Normal Edition will only has the movie.

PS3 Hyper

This game is looking so very badass.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
It does look interesting, but I can't understand the battle system just by reading that, at least not yet. And seeing how the evil government is referred to as being "Holy," do I sense another religion-themed JRPG here?
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#3 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts
It looks badass indeed but it's still the same as ATB XD Action consumes energy units or slots. Sounds more like a strategic battle system.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44697 Posts
Sounds pretty cool and the game is looking fantastic. Really looking forward to getting my hands on this game.
Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts
The fact that we almost definitely wont see this game until mid 2010 is utterly depressing.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rragnaar

The fact that we almost definitely wont see this game until mid 2010 is utterly depressing. Alter_Echo

I know... I wish their localization teams worked faster. I'm sure the game will be out in Japan this year, and I bet we will be left waiting for a really long time.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rragnaar

Yes actual gameplay info!!! Sounds sweet, love the move they made with FFXII, making it more realtime, but am glad its like that but with a more classic FF twist (removal of gambit). I want the demo... should I...dvader654

If I find out that the Advent Children BR has english subtitles, I'm all over it.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Archangel3371

[QUOTE="Alter_Echo"]The fact that we almost definitely wont see this game until mid 2010 is utterly depressing. rragnaar

I know... I wish their localization teams worked faster. I'm sure the game will be out in Japan this year, and I bet we will be left waiting for a really long time.

Yeah while it's a bummer it'll take awhile yet for this game to come out I have plenty of great games coming out to keep me very occupied from now until then.
creepy_mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 creepy_mike
Member since 2007 • 1092 Posts

Excellent! I haven't played an FF game (or owned a Sony console) since IX, but not for lack of interest. Now that this is coming to the 360 I can finally get back into the swing of things.

I'm liking what little we know of the battle system so far. If I'm not mistaken, it sounds a lot less pseudo-action oriented than most JRPG's are these days. which is great in my book. I like to just relax and strategize with my RPGs; no countdowns, no timed button presses, no moving around in real time, etc.

Also, two of my other biggest RPG gripes seem to have been remedied: random battles and not seeing enemy HP (never understood the latter one at all).

I would say "can't wait", but that's not really a decision I can make, now is it? :(

Kreatzion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Kreatzion
Member since 2003 • 6468 Posts

The women in the game look so sexy. I want it now. This game better come before 2012. I want to play this game before the apocalypse.

Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#12 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
Sounds a bit weird, but at least an improvement over FF12.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts
I was a little worried about FF13 since it seemed like designers of current gen jrpgs without Valkyria in the title are all cursed by stupidity and incompetence, but FF13 is all that I hoped it would be. I'm definentely picking this up on day 1.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Archangel3371
I was a little worried about FF13 since it seemed like designers of current gen jrpgs without Valkyria in the title are all cursed by stupidity and incompetence, but FF13 is all that I hoped it would be. I'm definentely picking this up on day 1. CarnageHeart
Meh maybe to you but I found Lost Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia to be two very good JRPGs, but to each their own as they say.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ASK_Story

I was a little worried about FF13 since it seemed like designers of current gen jrpgs without Valkyria in the title are all cursed by stupidity and incompetence, but FF13 is all that I hoped it would be. I'm definentely picking this up on day 1. CarnageHeart
Well, I sort of feel the same, but really, it's only Square-Enix who has been sticking out like a soar thumb lately with their next-gen efforts. But FFXIII's most exciting feature is the female protagonist, like FFVI's Terra. Honestly, that's the only reason why I'm looking forward to FFXIII because it just might be like FFVI.

FFVI is my favorite FF to date and it had a female protagonist. So hopefully, FFXIII will be like that...hopefully.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

OMG they look amazing! I can't wait.

On second thought, I actually can wait, given how we don't even have an approximation to some sort of release date. So I wait. And wait some more. I haven't played a FF game since IX, so I can wait alright.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ASK_Story

OMG they look amazing! I can't wait.

On second thought, I actually can wait, given how we don't even have an approximation to some sort of release date. So I wait. And wait some more. I haven't played a FF game since IX, so I can wait alright.

SteelAttack
I'm hearing rumors that FFXIII won't come out here until late next year! YIKES!!!
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SteelAttack
I'm hearing rumors that FFXIII won't come out here until late next year! YIKES!!!ASK_Story
Ow. That's...kind of a long wait. We'll be getting Gran Turismo 5 before FFXIII at this rate.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ASK_Story

[QUOTE="ASK_Story"]I'm hearing rumors that FFXIII won't come out here until late next year! YIKES!!!SteelAttack
Ow. That's...kind of a long wait. We'll be getting Gran Turismo before FFXIII at this rate.

Which Gran Turismo, the PSP version?:P

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SteelAttack

[QUOTE="SteelAttack"][QUOTE="ASK_Story"]I'm hearing rumors that FFXIII won't come out here until late next year! YIKES!!!ASK_Story

Ow. That's...kind of a long wait. We'll be getting Gran Turismo before FFXIII at this rate.

Which Gran Turismo, the PSP version?:P

Gran Turismo 13, the way things are going. :P
bigd575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#21 bigd575
Member since 2008 • 6192 Posts
Looks really great I can't wait.
Trainer23667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Trainer23667
Member since 2006 • 49 Posts
This game makes my mouth water every time something new about it is revelead. I can not wait to play this.
gam3r3OOO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 gam3r3OOO
Member since 2003 • 1442 Posts
The fact that we almost definitely wont see this game until mid 2010 is utterly depressing. Alter_Echo
Really?! 2009 has only just begun. I'm sure it will be out for us October 2009. I did a comparison of how long they took on previous FF games in the US and it wouldn't be unreasonable considering the amount of time spent on the game already. Although early 2010 is also possible.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

The women in the game look so sexy.

Kreatzion

They look gorgeous! Almost as hot as real girls and they're realtime models.... next gen is finally here!!! :shock:

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

[QUOTE="Alter_Echo"]The fact that we almost definitely wont see this game until mid 2010 is utterly depressing. gam3r3OOO
Really?! 2009 has only just begun. I'm sure it will be out for us October 2009. I did a comparison of how long they took on previous FF games in the US and it wouldn't be unreasonable considering the amount of time spent on the game already. Although early 2010 is also possible.

Dont forget the 360 version which only started development last year. The NA PS3 version cant be released until teh 360 version is completed.

martialbullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 martialbullet
Member since 2006 • 10948 Posts
Well it looks amazing!!! I don't see why they have the need for pre-rendered cutscenes now.....
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
It does look interesting, but I can't understand the battle system just by reading that, at least not yet. And seeing how the evil government is referred to as being "Holy," do I sense another religion-themed JRPG here? ASK_Story
I agree, sounds very confusing by reading all of that.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts
When this comes out over here in Japan, I'm locking my doors and avoiding any human contact as the streets will most likely be swamped with buyers. And then I'll cry in my room because I can't have it due to the language barrier. Or I could just get super motivated and learn more Japanese, but no.
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#29 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
I think at this point, it's safe to say that Square Enix has finally taken random encounters out of FF games. It's great that we finally have some gameplay details, but now I need to see how combat works in motion. I would get the demo if:
1) It was in English
2) It didn't come with Advent Children. That movie is not worth getting the demo for, IMO.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
All of you can stay away from lightning shes mine :x Looks sexy graphics wise and im hoping for a return to form for square, I havent palyed an FF game since X so hopefully they nail this.
Helghast_Merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Helghast_Merc
Member since 2006 • 808 Posts

looks like the game has it's own website now, right here: http://www.square-enix.co.jp/fabula/ff13/

The game looks interesting and I will definitely be keeping my eyes out for it. As for the game's release time, yikes. If true, I have a long wait ahead of me.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#32 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts
2010? WTF? by 2010 this will be old news! It won't be as flashy and glamorous as it is now :( Damn you Scware!
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ASK_Story
2010? WTF? by 2010 this will be old news! It won't be as flashy and glamorous as it is now :( Damn you Scware! gamingqueen
And there's rumors that it might be late 2010, like during the holidays late. And knowing Square-Enix, it might be pushed to *gasp* 2011!
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
[QUOTE="gamingqueen"]2010? WTF? by 2010 this will be old news! It won't be as flashy and glamorous as it is now :( Damn you Scware! ASK_Story
And there's rumors that it might be late 2010, like during the holidays late. And knowing Square-Enix, it might be pushed to *gasp* 2011!

I doubt if it comes out that late (2011) It will come out this year in Japan and next year in the U.S. imo.