FFXII Yay or Nay

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ebreezy1189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ebreezy1189
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the FF series. Played a lot of them for psx, and most for ps2. Number 12 is about the only one I havn't played. I picked it up for 15 bucks and threw it in my system. I played for about 30 minutes or so. I have to say I don't really care for the battle system at all. So I'm asking if you guys would recommend it as a good game, story wise and gameplay wise. Also does the battling get any better? My main issue was that I was taking a lot of damage when trying to attack because I couldn't position right and I would have to run up on top of enemies and try the attack button a couple times before he would swing.
Avatar image for Xenogears_Rocks
Xenogears_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 Xenogears_Rocks
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts

I would say it's a great game and I don't remeber having any problems like that with the battle system I think overal it's an 8 out of 10

thunderf00t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 thunderf00t
Member since 2009 • 948 Posts
I liked the battle system, but the fact is that the presentation of the battles themselves was brought down by the loss of the dramatic camera angles and other camera positioning tricks that gave previous series games such an epic feel in their boss battles. (not one battle on par with the bosses of FFX) The lack of real character development hurt it as well, with only Balthier (sexy and suave god of a man that he is) and Basch standing out at all. Vaan was just a terrible character, and felt painfully tacked on. Having the game center on Balthier or Basch as the main playable would have helped my opinion of the game a lot. I know people insist Ashe is more or less the main character, but when I'm in a city, I see and control Vaan. He's got a decent enough design, but is just way too young, and thus, ANNOYING. Coming right off Tidus in FFX, this really grated on my nerves. It's a shame we didn't get the muchly improved International version. (Funny thing is I think Star Ocean 4: International is the first of SE's many "international" editions to ever actually BE released internationally)
Flamuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 Flamuel
Member since 2009 • 236 Posts

I couldn't stand the battle system or the main character so i stopped after about an hour and never finished. I hope 13 goes back to the 'normal' battle system of 7,8.9 or 10 with the turn bar.

Blake_H15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Blake_H15
Member since 2009 • 111 Posts

This was the first rpg i ever played and I loved it.

MuddVader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 MuddVader
Member since 2007 • 6326 Posts

I couldn't stand the battle system or the main character so i stopped after about an hour and never finished. I hope 13 goes back to the 'normal' battle system of 7,8.9 or 10 with the turn bar.

Flamuel

As someone above stated, you get used to it, its just different. Otherwise its a great game though. Its a shame you gave up on it.
Also, as someone else stated, I didnt really like Vaan either, though I guess he fit into the story. I would have rather them stuck with the quiet troubled main protagonist like in FF7 and FF8 lol.

You can see 13's fighting system, theres no hoping to be done =P
13versus was supposed to be like Kingdom Hearts combat styIe I heard.

appletsauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 appletsauce
Member since 2006 • 1035 Posts

I can't get past the awful battle system, so to hell with the story. Nay.

Tiberius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Tiberius
Member since 2002 • 1713 Posts

Top to bottom, boring as hell.

Top. To. Bottom.

NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 NAPK1NS
Member since 2004 • 14870 Posts
So much yay for XII.
KzJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KzJoe
Member since 2009 • 626 Posts

Best battle system, Epic Story, Cool Characters, Nice Graphics !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and 4 15 bucks ya!

get-ka12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 get-ka12
Member since 2009 • 1946 Posts
FF 12 for me was a sad disappointment. FF 10 was amazing and I instantly fell in love with it and still love it. FF 12 just feels too dry, boring, and sterile.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#14 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

I didnt like 12 all that much, but contrary to most, I didnt mind the battle system, it wasnt great, but it wasnt terrible either.

what killed the game for me was the storyline and the general atmosphere of the game

The storyline was very grand and so was the atmosphere but something was missing, it lacked soul, something the previous games in the FF franchise had in bucketloads.

The characters were also pretty weak, most of them I really couldnt care for, the notable exception being Balthier, Basch was also a decent character but that was it.

what was Panelo doing there?, why did they put a silly rabbit in your team?, thats what I kept asking as I played the game.

if the storyline, Characters and atmosphere were better, this could have been an awesome game for me, but it disappointed me.

metalisticpain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 metalisticpain
Member since 2005 • 3536 Posts
I loved this game. It takes something from MMO's and this game made battling enemies easy. The system works, and you will get used to it (its nothing as bad as the junction system in 8). The story is a bit meh but I really did love this game. Def a Yay, especially for these prices it sells for now
chadwick1343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#16 chadwick1343
Member since 2009 • 944 Posts

Best battle system, Epic Story, Cool Characters, Nice Graphics !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and 4 15 bucks ya!

KzJoe
Exactly. one of the greatest games of last gen.
Barbie_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Barbie_Boy
Member since 2009 • 667 Posts

a bigg step up from X adn X-2 it actully gave me some hope back to the series

CoolSkAGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CoolSkAGuy
Member since 2006 • 9665 Posts
I didn't like it I got to frans village and stopped playing, Im itching to play it again ever since I lent my PS2 to my friend tho. I wonder how hard would it be getting back into after not playing since the month of its release.
Zerocrossings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Zerocrossings
Member since 2006 • 7988 Posts

The battle system is ok. The story is crap. CRAP.

kulmiye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kulmiye
Member since 2004 • 12094 Posts
Definite yay for me as this was the only FF I've completed. Frankly, story didn't matter so much for me as I couldn't care about some sort of attachment to some person that will only feature in one game. At first I got a little fed up with the game and gave up around the encounters with the demon walls. Luckily for me I came back and pushed through only to find the game was fantastic. It makes battles so easy to manage, while providing so much to do in such a huge,dense world.
pooyanh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 pooyanh
Member since 2005 • 937 Posts
I have played all Final Fantasy games except FFXI and FFXII was the worst by far. Everything from battle system to the story and characters is a big disappointment in this game. Playing FFX for the 10th times would do you much better.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts
I loved FFXII, the characters might not have had too much depth compared to some other games, but so was common in FF titles, Balthier is the greatest FF character ever, I loved the combat as well, it was as deep as you wanted to make it, the story itself was fairly typical FF fare, at least not awful like FFX's lame plot twists. The Licence board was neat but just fell short, since it got somewhat odd. FFXII >>>>> FFX, I didn't like a single character in FFX other then auron, while I like most of the FFXII cast, and Tidus was INFURIATINGLY awful.
shinrahunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 shinrahunter
Member since 2009 • 42 Posts

I'm a huge FF fan, I have all of the games & some on multiple systems etc but I hate XII, I've never finished it and I never will.

The characters are boring, The story is too much about politics so it feels like nothing happens and the atmosphere has been sucked out of the actual battles by an awful system that sees you dio nothing but direct your character toward the enemy, then sit and watch a battle pan out.

I would score FFXII a 2 out of 10, oh no wait, Fran's in it, a 3 out of 10 she deserves a point all of her own for being the only character with an intresting story & also imo the most useful too. Then on the other side is Penelo, a character so pathetic that I often forget about her completely.

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts
An answer to a single question will answer your's. If you feel that FFX was one of the best FF games, then the trend is that you'll feel that FFXII was the worse.... The opposite seems to be true, as well. Those that feel that FF12 is the best game ever... tend to hate FFX the most.
zmbi_gmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 zmbi_gmr
Member since 2008 • 3590 Posts

yay is all i'll say:P

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#26 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

I'd say nay. It was really disappointed in the story and battle system. It was just a boring experience all around IMO.

TleilaxuMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 TleilaxuMaster
Member since 2005 • 272 Posts

The removal of random encounters is enough by itself to make FFXII superior to every other Final Fantasy. The battle system is great as well. And the story gets a lot more hate than it deserves.

An answer to a single question will answer your's. If you feel that FFX was one of the best FF games, then the trend is that you'll feel that FFXII was the worse.... The opposite seems to be true, as well. Those that feel that FF12 is the best game ever... tend to hate FFX the most.Threesixtyci

I'm not sure how true that is. I like them both. But I hate FFIV. Worst in the series IMO.

KzJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KzJoe
Member since 2009 • 626 Posts
[QUOTE="Threesixtyci"]An answer to a single question will answer your's. If you feel that FFX was one of the best FF games, then the trend is that you'll feel that FFXII was the worse.... The opposite seems to be true, as well. Those that feel that FF12 is the best game ever... tend to hate FFX the most.

No... I like Final Fantsy X lots and Final Fantasy XII lots aswell.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Meh, I wasn't crazy about FFXII. Didn't like the story, Only liked one tune in the whole game, and the game had visuals that to me weren't as good as FFX's, though XII's gameplay was alright.

The main quest was mediocre, IMO, but I did like doing all the optional stuff.

Ebreezy1189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ebreezy1189

I guess I'll have to give it another shot then. There are too many mixed opinions to go on just one. I did like FFX a lot though.. mostly for it's nice battle scenes and even though it was turn based there was still a lot of strategy to it. I just can't see playing through the game again. So we'll see how it goes with XII. How long is the game compared to X? Main storyline anyways.

Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#31 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

no. it's a pretty pointless game. there's nothing satisfying about it.

i think most RPGs (especially japanese ones) are pointless though. but i also think the same for a lot of platformers. but FF12 is just a mess.. strip away the pretty exterior and then start analyzing. but even the art design is incredibly dull at times, and devoid of any charm or individuality. the soundtrack is also quite dull.

maybe you'll gain about 20+ hours of fun with this dungeon crawl, but i bet you will tire of it after that. the story and characters go nowhere and you can spend hours customizing in the menus and battle system gambit things. hours. and it won't make much difference at all. don't listen to the lies of 'strategic combat', because there is no strategies. you just bash the enemy and do as much damage as possible. rinse, repeat.

CoolSkAGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CoolSkAGuy
Member since 2006 • 9665 Posts

Meh, I wasn't crazy about FFXII. Didn't like the story, Only liked one tune in the whole game, and the game had visuals that to me weren't as good as FFX's, though XII's gameplay was alright.

DJ-Lafleur

Yeah I agree with this completely and I Loved all the optional stuff, the bountys and everything I dont remember what they were called but I remember I did a 79 hit combo and Still didnt kill the monster hunt it was maddening lol, I was only level 20-30 tho.

I got owned but It was fun as heck

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#33 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

DJ-Lafleur
I agree with you. And now that you mention it,I only enjoyed one song as well,the Euryt village one.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#34 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
You're probably still in the early part where you only have one person. Anyhow, yes, the combat gets MUCH better once you have a full party and have acquired lots of gambits to help you out. It makes me wonder how I ever put up with manually inputting the attack command over and over.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

[QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]

Arach666

I agree with you. And now that you mention it,I only enjoyed one song as well,the Euryt village one.

Don't remember that one at all (which shows how much I didn't care for the soundtrack). The one tune I liked in the game was the esper battle music.

Another thing about XII I didn't like were the espers. I sucks enough they replaced all the original FF summons and made them into airships, but also, XII's summons were just so useless. You were much better off using quickenings...

I only colleceted all espers for completions sake, really.

Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#36 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

yeah, the hunts were great fun. it's mostly why i played the game as much as i did.

there are some really scary things down in the zertinan caverns..

calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#37 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

I love FFXII, but I didn't at first. I seriously recommend you keep on playing, it gets much better from there. It gets addicting very fast, it's just a learning process. I never ran into problems like that with the battle system, just put an "Attack-Targeted Enemy" gambit on your main character and you don't have to repress the attack button once you've locked on. Storywise, I really liked the game. It's an interesting spin on politics and the characters, though not as endearing as the previous FF characters, are well made. I give the game a 9,6/10. :D

Odnomiar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Odnomiar
Member since 2004 • 1070 Posts

NAY!!! it's rubbish.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#39 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

[QUOTE="Arach666"][QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]

DJ-Lafleur

Don't remember that one at all (which shows how much I didn't care for the soundtrack). The one tune I liked in the game was the esper battle music.

Another thing about XII I didn't like were the espers. I sucks enough they replaced all the original FF summons and made them into airships, but also, XII's summons were just so useless. You were much better off using quickenings...

I only colleceted all espers for completions sake, really.

But by far,the worst feature in the game was the license board...
CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

It was nay for me. I played it for a little bit and stopped. I don't know, maybe I should give it a chance.

dustino96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dustino96

i say yay but i just started playing it a few days ago. the battle system doesnt bother me so far the only thing i dont like is Vaan

Ebreezy1189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ebreezy1189

I guess I'll give it another go then. If it takes too long to start getting good I might just have to retire it for good though.

mijahi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 mijahi
Member since 2009 • 895 Posts

As you can see, you are going to get impassioned votes for both "Yay or Nay".

Personally, I give it a great big "Yay". Though the battle system was different from anything I'd ever played before and it took me some time to get use to it, I eventually found it to be one of the best battle systems I have ever played!! It becomes second nature and really makes the battles easy, imo. And the story? Well, I loved it as I have loved all the FF story lines.

I hope you pick it up again and give it another chance. And ultimately, don't ever base your opinion of a game (or any game!!) on what others say or feel...you'll be doing yourself a great misservice.

gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
The overall game is an A. There will be people out there that rather choose the standard battle system than the action/rpg. Personally i give it a Yay.
toxic_jackal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 toxic_jackal
Member since 2007 • 1793 Posts

You played the game for only 30 minutes? The battle system takes time and practice to get used to, but in all honesty, it's not that hard. I prefer the battle system over the previous FF games. FFXII is a great game, both storywise and battlewise. The storyline is heavily political, so I'm not sure if politic-heavy stories is something that you enjoy. People complain that the characters don't really grow or interact, but I disagree. The character development could have been better, but why stand around complaining about it? It won't change anything. I was instantly hooked when I played this game. I wish I had the time to replay it. Be aware that there are A LOT of places to visit and do in this game; sidequests are numerous. Once you continue progressing, believe me, you will not be bored by this game.