February NPD Numbers

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Wicked_Sick-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 -Wicked_Sick-
Member since 2007 • 1171 Posts

[QUOTE="-Wicked_Sick-"][QUOTE="Archangel3371"]Once again the 360 continues to pull in some solid numbers. I'm a bit surprised to see Dead Space 3 get top spot this month and it's nice to see Crysis 3 and Metal Gear Rising make the top 5 as well.CarnageHeart

The 360 came in third this generation.

*Shrugs* I think that claim by Sony was debunked, but even if true, it doesn't matter who edges ahead of who before the generation ends. Both the PS3 and the X360 have had good runs and offered a wide variety of games to consumers (yes, MS has taken its eye off the ball in recent years, but its third party supporters haven't).

I wasn't using Sony as a source. And I have a 360 dude.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#53 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44098 Posts
[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]Once again the 360 continues to pull in some solid numbers. I'm a bit surprised to see Dead Space 3 get top spot this month and it's nice to see Crysis 3 and Metal Gear Rising make the top 5 as well.-Wicked_Sick-
The 360 came in third this generation.

Did it? I don't know what the numbers are but still I think it sold pretty well for the last few months including this one which is all I was really saying. I didn't see any numbers for the other systems at the time so I had nothing to say about them. PS3 seems to have done fairly well also. Wii U looks to be in trouble though.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#54 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

Crysis 3 has sold 260K. Don't know if that is good or bad for the franchise, never paid much attention to it.

CarnageHeart

Given what it was rumored to have cost to make, I'd say that is a fvcking disaster. Granted, we don't know the PC numbers, either. Still, I can't imagine them feeling too good.  Not that I care, really, after the bullshlt they talked a few weeks ago about single-player experiences, the company is dead as far as I am concerned. But then again, I've never bought anything they made anyway, so it's not like I'm taking something away from them.

EDIT: Oh, shlt -- those numbers include the PC.... yeah, it's an epic disaster. Game cost 66 million to make. They'll be lucky to be solvent in a few months. That's like 16 million in revenue. They're in the red big time.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#55 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

[QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"] Just buy it online. That's all I did, my copy is in the mail, thank you ebay. Yeah I had to pay about an extra $7 but y'know I felt it was worth it to secure a copy. Then yesterday I seen my gamestore had a bunch of copies in after being sold out forever :lol:GodModeEnabled

How much blocks does it take to download FE: Awakening? I've heard from somebody that it's 2,000 something, which if so would suck, since I have like 3,000 blocks left I think.

I really really want to get a physical copy of the game but dammit downloading the game seems to be the only option. =/

I bought a physical copy on ebay. You can find it online but you will pay an extra $5-$10 for it from what I have seen.

I was originally trying to avoid spending extra money on the game to get it retail, but at this point it is starting to sound good. >_>

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#56 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Good sales for DS3. I have a soft spot for this franchise even though I didnt the quality isnt as consistent through out the games. They've tried to do something different with each entry and even though the different focus here was on coop and human enemies, it's good to see developers not giving us the same game year after year. 

Happy for its sales. 

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#57 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]The majority of the top 10 makes me sad.Grammaton-Cleric

Far Cry 3, Metal Gear, Crysis 3, Dead Space 3, and Sly are all quality games.

The only thing I find truly offensive on that list is Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Who in the F*** bought that S***?  

I said the majority. I have no qualms with Far Cry 3, Metal Gear Rising or Sly.
ZhugeL1ang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 ZhugeL1ang
Member since 2012 • 115 Posts

it shows how disastrous this generation has been, and what small ball we've become accustomed to.

Shame-usBlackley

You don't think the increased amount of gaming platofrms and technology barriers have something to do with it?

On a side note, Aliens in the top 10, ugh. I see that Sony is still too stubborn to give the Vita a real price cut considering the thing was practically DOA and they're paying the price for it. Shame, it would have been an incredible handheld..........in 2008.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

Crysis 3 has sold 260K. Don't know if that is good or bad for the franchise, never paid much attention to it.

Shame-usBlackley

Given what it was rumored to have cost to make, I'd say that is a fvcking disaster. Granted, we don't know the PC numbers, either. Still, I can't imagine them feeling too good. Not that I care, really, after the bullshlt they talked a few weeks ago about single-player experiences, the company is dead as far as I am concerned. But then again, I've never bought anything they made anyway, so it's not like I'm taking something away from them.

EDIT: Oh, shlt -- those numbers include the PC.... yeah, it's an epic disaster. Game cost 66 million to make. They'll be lucky to be solvent in a few months. That's like 16 million in revenue. They're in the red big time.

I think most PC gamers download nowadays, but most console gamers still buy their games at retail, so its safe to say Crytek's decision to kind of turn its back on the PC and focus on consoles (which as PC afficianandos never tire of pointing out, has meant that the original is the least linear game in the series) was a bad one.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 CarnageHeart

Good sales for DS3. I have a soft spot for this franchise even though I didnt the quality isnt as consistent through out the games. They've tried to do something different with each entry and even though the different focus here was on coop and human enemies, it's good to see developers not giving us the same game year after year.

Happy for its sales.

S0lidSnake

Its not clear that the sales were good (though they are three times the two month total of the DMC reboot, so they could be worse). We don't know DS2's exact US sales numbers, but EA claimed that DS2's launch was twice as big as DS1's (500K at launch), so the fact DS3's launch was only 20% higher than DS2's represents a step backwards for the franchise.

Given that EA has announced their goal that all games should sell 5,000,000 copies, the rumors that DS4 was cancelled might be true, though perhaps another fake sequel will pop up in another in another genre. Dead Space:: The Dancing Game :P.

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Shame-usBlackley

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

CarnageHeart

Given what it was rumored to have cost to make, I'd say that is a fvcking disaster. Granted, we don't know the PC numbers, either. Still, I can't imagine them feeling too good. Not that I care, really, after the bullshlt they talked a few weeks ago about single-player experiences, the company is dead as far as I am concerned. But then again, I've never bought anything they made anyway, so it's not like I'm taking something away from them.

I think most PC gamers download nowadays, but most console gamers still buy their games at retail, so its safe to say Crytek's decision to kind of turn its back on the PC and focus on consoles (which as PC afficianandos never tire of pointing out, has meant that the original is the least linear game in the series) was a bad one.

I wasn't talking about the numbers in relation to how they compare to those within the series, only mentioning how absolutely terrible they are on their own merits. There would have to be hundreds of thousands of downloads to pull the game from the red, and I just don't see that as a possibility. Especially if PC gamers have shunned the series as you pointed out. We'll see though -- I'm going to go on a limb now and say that Crytek is either bought out or dissolved within a year. There's just no coming back from that kind of loss. 

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

Shame-usBlackley

I wasn't talking about the numbers in relation to how they compare to those within the series, only mentioning how absolutely terrible they are on their own merits. There would have to be hundreds of thousands of downloads to pull the game from the red, and I just don't see that as a possibility. Especially if PC gamers have shunned the series as you pointed out. We'll see though -- I'm going to go on a limb now and say that Crytek is either bought out or dissolved within a year. There's just no coming back from that kind of loss. 

They brought it on themselves by casualizing the series and bringing it down into the filth. The drop is quality from the first game to the second is staggering (for a myriad number of reasons) and i'm sure the third game is a further decline. I'm not sure it will wreck the company though, they are supposed to be going completely free to play and getting out of the big dollars game business. I'm sure for them that means making something that takes as minimum amount of effort and money as possible and trying to wring maximum profits from it. Crytek tried to sell out and amusingly it came back to bite them in the ass.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#64 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

how the hell is black ops still on that list

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]The majority of the top 10 makes me sad.Minishdriveby

Far Cry 3, Metal Gear, Crysis 3, Dead Space 3, and Sly are all quality games.

The only thing I find truly offensive on that list is Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Who in the F*** bought that S***?  

I said the majority. I have no qualms with Far Cry 3, Metal Gear Rising or Sly.

With the exception of Aliens and Just Dance, everything on that list is a quality game, even if some of those franchises are a bit played out.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 S0lidSnake

To Shameus and anyone dsicrediting Xbox 360's dominance over the past three years.

Here are the PS2's Feburary sales in its 7th year. 

• Wii - 335K
  • PS3 - 127K
  • 360 - 228K
  • PS2 - 295K
  • DS - 485K
  • PSP - 176K
  • NGC - 24K

The 360 sold more than that in its 8th year at more than double the price. Who cares if it's down YoY. That is supposed to happen this late this gen. It's happened every gen before it. Yes, it's ridiculous that they are still selling it for $300 7 years after its launch.. I whole heartedly agree. But one thing to keep in mind is that these three consoles have sold 250 million consoles COMBINED and they still have a few years left. Last gen the PS2 sold 150 million, GC 20 million and the Xbox 25 million. TThat comes out to be 195 million units. So if people are still buying these consoles, i.e, the demand is still there then why price it low and cut down your profits? What's there to gain from it? Sure they will sell it to people who only purchase consoles when they are $99-$129 but they dont neccessarily buy a lot of software so they aren't a consumer everyone's salvating over. At least the people who bought the Kinect 360s bought it at $299 and made MS a decent profit. 

The 360's sales are what's keeping this industry alive month after month, year after year. For the better part of the last three years they have gotten a 50% share of the total hardware sales. Their games top the charts nearly every month. Exclusive or third party. This month alone the top 5 SKUs were all 360 SKUs. I dont see Just Dance on that list or some Kinect game. All I see are quality hardcore games that sold best on the 360. Sure they might be focusing on the casuals at the moment, but they have built a great base of core gamers who purchase a lot of software. They have done that since the start of this gen when the PS3 versions never even charted. 

I am the first one to blame MS for this ridiculously long generation, but let's not take anything away from their fantastic sales. Sony is also to be blamed for not launching their next console last year, and still having a $250 unit out there. But again, if all these profits allow them to be aggressive with their next gen consoles then I am ok with it. A $299-$350 Arcade PS3 with no PS Move and Eye Toy is still a possibility. 

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Don't know if you have been noticing Solid but for a while now your posts are in a very small font and have been really difficult to read.
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Shame-usBlackley

To Shameus and anyone dsicrediting Xbox 360's dominance over the past three years.

Here are the PS2's Feburary sales in its 7th year. 

• Wii - 335K
  • PS3 - 127K
  • 360 - 228K
  • PS2 - 295K
  • DS - 485K
  • PSP - 176K
  • NGC - 24K

The 360 sold more than that in its 8th year at more than double the price. Who cares if it's down YoY. That is supposed to happen this late this gen. It's happened every gen before it. Yes, it's ridiculous that they are still selling it for $300 7 years after its launch.. I whole heartedly agree. But one thing to keep in mind is that these three consoles have sold 250 million consoles COMBINED and they still have a few years left. Last gen the PS2 sold 150 million, GC 20 million and the Xbox 25 million. TThat comes out to be 195 million units. So if people are still buying these consoles, i.e, the demand is still there then why price it low and cut down your profits? What's there to gain from it? Sure they will sell it to people who only purchase consoles when they are $99-$129 but they dont neccessarily buy a lot of software so they aren't a consumer everyone's salvating over. At least the people who bought the Kinect 360s bought it at $299 and made MS a decent profit. 

The 360's sales are what's keeping this industry alive month after month, year after year. For the better part of the last three years they have gotten a 50% share of the total hardware sales. Their games top the charts nearly every month. Exclusive or third party. This month alone the top 5 SKUs were all 360 SKUs. I dont see Just Dance on that list or some Kinect game. All I see are quality hardcore games that sold best on the 360. Sure they might be focusing on the casuals at the moment, but they have built a great base of core gamers who purchase a lot of software. They have done that since the start of this gen when the PS3 versions never even charted. 

I am the first one to blame MS for this ridiculously long generation, but let's not take anything away from their fantastic sales. Sony is also to be blamed for not launching their next console last year, and still having a $250 unit out there. But again, if all these profits allow them to be aggressive with their next gen consoles then I am ok with it. A $299-$350 Arcade PS3 with no PS Move and Eye Toy is still a possibility. 

S0lidSnake

In its 7th year, the PS2 was already into the next generation, with the Wii, PS3, and 360 all on the market. Sales are expected to drop then, as hundreds of thousands of potential PS2 sales were then going to the new systems.Such a situation does not exist for the 360 currently. In February 2005, the PS2 sold 533,000 units in North America.

Further, remove the Wii sales figures from the total sales for this generation and you have very meager numbers. Also, the Wii's sales were not backed by consistent software purchases -- the base was, for a lot of purposes, a paper tiger. Software sales are flagging -- it's not just the hardware side that is down. The insistence by the hardware companies to maintain high prices is keeping many people out still. There are many who would buy a second system now (and likely an entire suite of exclusive titles along with it that they have yet to play), and there are many who just don't feel games are important enough to spend over a hundred dollars or so on hardware that the market is missing completely. Why go after the above two groups? Because millions of dollars of revenue in software awaits there. A lot will be from greatest hits, but a lot will also be on new software. We were talking about Crytek earlier, how much do you think those guys would have appreciated an extra ten or fifteen million consumers added to each base? 

EDIT: By point of comparison, the OG Xbox sold 230,000 units in February of 2005. So while the 360 is doing better than its predecessor at this point in its life, it's not setting the world alight (not to take anything away from the original Xbox, but it was much more maligned than the 360 was). I wouldn't say the 360 has dominated anything. With the Wii dead and the Wii U on life suppport, there is less competition on the market (pretty much just the PS3), yet the 360 is still muddling along and posting weaker numbers than last year.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 S0lidSnake

Don't know if you have been noticing Solid but for a while now your posts are in a very small font and have been really difficult to read.GodModeEnabled

Not all of them have been that small. It's a stupid forum glitch.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#70 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

the wiiu is doing misserable due to not having the sales driver , 

thats it , once its got a sales driver it will fly faster then a bullet train it was actually selling better then jan ,   due to some  high profile releases like  nfsmw   legocity walki ng dead ,  the games ar e coming , 

at least its getting better as ti me goes on ,ps3 was selling less and less each month after release       wiiu had one big drop and it seams to be gaining ,  -we will know in march , if we see an  other boost in sales  vs this mo nth then wii u is fine, remember summer the games come 

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#71 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

thats it , once its got a sales driver it will fly faster then a bullet train it was actually selling better then jan ,   due to some  high profile releases like  nfsmw   legocity walki ng dead ,  the games ar e coming , 

at least its getting better as ti me goes on ,ps3 was selling less and less each month after release       wiiu had one big drop and it seams to be gaining ,  -we will know in march , if we see an  other boost in sales  vs this mo nth then wii u is fine, remember summer the games come 

mariokart64fan

I don't know... doesn't seem that simple this time out.

Nintendo's had a headstart for a while now that's been wasted. They needed to release some games now, because this is the best shot they have to gain a foothold. Once Sony and Microsoft launch their next systems, it's gonna be a bigger uphill battle for Nintendo.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#72 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

c_rake

Nintendo's had a headstart for a while now that's been wasted. They needed to release some games now, because this is the best shot they have to gain a foothold. Once Sony and Microsoft launch their next systems, it's gonna be a bigger uphill battle for Nintendo.

Depends on what they launch at. If they are $450 and up then Wii U sales will improve dramatically, especially with a $50 price cut around that time.

CastieI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 CastieI
Member since 2013 • 124 Posts
Sony has officially announced the PS4 and yet they are still selling the PS3 at 250 dollars.

It's bizarre.

Grammaton-Cleric
At least the $250 PS3 is still a good value. The 360 pricing scheme is just plain stupid at this point, and a terrible value. That thing should be $99 (a real $99 price tag, not the silly one they have now) with a HDD. Charging $199 for a 4GB 360 with no game is absurd. Charging $299 for a 250 GB 360 with no game when for the same price consumers can get a PS3 with double the default storage and a game(s), which also plays Blu Ray movies is borderline insane.
CastieI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 CastieI
Depends on what they launch at. If they are $450 and up then Wii U sales will improve dramatically, especially with a $50 price cut around that time.Bigboi500
People will pay more for a system with a better games lineup. Wii U has a weak line up right now, and it doesn't look much better in the future for anyone who isn't a hardcore Nintendo fan. The Wii U is not the Wii, it will not be able to sell despite it's game lineup, that crowd has moved on to mobile gaming. This gen, Nintendo will have to sell it's system based on it's games, not it's gimmick. I wish them good luck.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]Depends on what they launch at. If they are $450 and up then Wii U sales will improve dramatically, especially with a $50 price cut around that time.CastieI
People will pay more for a system with a better games lineup. Wii U has a weak line up right now, and it doesn't look much better in the future for anyone who isn't a hardcore Nintendo fan. The Wii U is not the Wii, it will not be able to sell despite it's game lineup, that crowd has moved on to mobile gaming. This gen, Nintendo will have to sell it's system based on it's games, not it's gimmick. I wish them good luck.

The hardcore early adapters will purchase anything new, but will the casual crowd buy systems that are priced high? Remains to be seen.

CastieI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 CastieI
The hardcore early adapters will purchase anything new, but will the casual crowd buy systems that are priced high? Remains to be seen.Bigboi500
Apparently the casual crowd doesn't buy systems that aren't either, as the flaccid Wii U numbers of late show. The massive crowd of people that bought a Wii for Wii Sports and Resort that bloated the Wii install base so grossly aren't going to be anywhere near as big a factor this go round, count on it. If they were, Wii U wouldn't be tanking.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]The hardcore early adapters will purchase anything new, but will the casual crowd buy systems that are priced high? Remains to be seen.CastieI
Apparently the casual crowd doesn't buy systems that aren't either, as the flaccid Wii U numbers of late show. The massive crowd of people that bought a Wii for Wii Sports and Resort that bloated the Wii install base so grossly aren't going to be anywhere near as big a factor this go round, count on it. If they were, Wii U wouldn't be tanking.

The Wii was just a phenomenon. Most systems just require time to get going, and price will determine just about everything in this new generation of consoles.

CastieI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 CastieI

The Wii was just a phenomenon. Most systems just require time to get going, and price will determine just about everything in this new generation of consoles.Bigboi500
I'd be willing to wager that so long as the Durango and PS4 remain sub $500, game lineup will be more of a factor than price. Gamecube was the last Nintendo system that had to live or die based on it's game lineup, and it was dirt cheap in no time flat, and sold horribly. (it hit $99 so fast that I got whiplash) It had a lot of the same issues the Wii U has, except it was pretty on par/better than it's competition in terms of hardware. The last time Nintendo won a console war determined by quality of the lineup was the SNES.

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

I find it disappointing that the first three games came out on top. Why are people ignoring good games?

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

Shame-usBlackley

Given what it was rumored to have cost to make, I'd say that is a fvcking disaster. Granted, we don't know the PC numbers, either. Still, I can't imagine them feeling too good.  Not that I care, really, after the bullshlt they talked a few weeks ago about single-player experiences, the company is dead as far as I am concerned. But then again, I've never bought anything they made anyway, so it's not like I'm taking something away from them.

Disaster is right. But I can't say I feel bad for Crytek. Yerli shoots his mouth off constantly, praising the freemium model and bashing the singleplayer experience, or always complaining about console hardware limitations while his company decided to essentially ditch the PC for Crysis 2. Crysis 3, while I haven't played it, basically looked like another bland shooter in a generation full of them, a tech demo mostly. A short campaign and multiplayer that (based on my Crysis 2 experience) is easily bested by COD, Halo, or Battlefield just makes it the odd game out. 

Supposedly Crytek is only going to be making free-to-play titles after this. Guess we'll have to wait and see if that's actually true.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="c_rake"]

[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

Bigboi500

Depends on what they launch at. If they are $450 and up then Wii U sales will improve dramatically, especially with a $50 price cut around that time.

The Wii U is the equivalent of a current (soon to be last) gen console with a $173 tablet controller and in 2013 it is getting only a small fraction of the support of the PS3 and X360. People who own one or both of those consoles and who decide that the PS4 and X720 are too rich for their blood aren't going to go backwards by getting a Wii U, they will stick with their current hardware. However, most of the 22 million people who owned a GameCube will pick up Wii Us eventually so they can play Mario/Zelda/Metroid.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#82 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

I find it disappointing that the first three games came out on top. Why are people ignoring good games?

Cyberdot
simple, they don't bother to do some research for it, and just buy what's popular
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Grammaton-Cleric

Bigboi500

Even if the new systems launch at a price tag that is cost-prohibitive, the Wii U remains an overpriced console with a mediocre selection of games.

The PS4 and XB3 being expensive doesn't change the stark reality that the Wii U is redundant technology. If anything, consumers would probably stick to their PS3/XB360 since those systems enjoy the same technological power as the Wii U and enjoy far better third party support.

And let us not forget, the PS3, at the price of 500-600 dollars in 2006, was selling better than the Wii U is in 2013.

The system is perishing at retail and if Nintendo's strategy is to wait and hope that Sony and MS fumble then they might as well call this particular race over.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 c_rakestraw  Moderator

Depends on what they launch at. If they are $450 and up then Wii U sales will improve dramatically, especially with a $50 price cut around that time.Bigboi500

Sales will definitely go up around the holidays. That's a guaranteed thing. They'll have some software for it finally, which should give it a boost, price cut or not. But I have to wonder how many people will elect to buy the PS4 or Nextbox instead, as they'll be launching around the same time. Prices for them will be announced at E3, so everyone will have more than enough tim to consider whether they want one of those two consoles or not.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="c_rake"]

CarnageHeart

The Wii U is the equivalent of a current (soon to be last) gen console with a $173 tablet controller and in 2013 it is getting only a small fraction of the support of the PS3 and X360. People who own one or both of those consoles and who decide that the PS4 and X720 are too rich for their blood aren't going to go backwards by getting a Wii U, they will stick with their current hardware. However, most of the 22 million people who owned a GameCube will pick up Wii Us eventually so they can play Mario/Zelda/Metroid.

And then there are people like me, who got a Wii U to go along with the PS3 and 360, and replace the Wii for HD titles. People who are satisfied with the current level of tech, atleast for a few more years.

I think the PS4 will be a good purchase around holiday 2014, giving it time to aquire a desirable library.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

Grammaton-Cleric

Even if the new systems launch at a price tag that is cost-prohibitive, the Wii U remains an overpriced console with a mediocre selection of games.

The PS4 and XB3 being expensive doesn't change the stark reality that the Wii U is redundant technology. If anything, consumers would probably stick to their PS3/XB360 since those systems enjoy the same technological power as the Wii U and enjoy far better third party support.

And let us not forget, the PS3, at the price of 500-600 dollars in 2006, was selling better than the Wii U is in 2013.

The system is perishing at retail and if Nintendo's strategy is to wait and hope that Sony and MS fumble then they might as well call this particular race over.

It's not over by a long shot yet. All this doom and gloom is premature. Tech has never decided a console race and probably never will.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]Depends on what they launch at. If they are $450 and up then Wii U sales will improve dramatically, especially with a $50 price cut around that time.c_rake

Sales will definitely go up around the holidays. That's a guaranteed thing. They'll have some software for it finally, which should give it a boost, price cut or not. But I have to wonder how many people will elect to buy the PS4 or Nextbox instead, as they'll be launching around the same time. Prices for them will be announced at E3, so everyone will have more than enough tim to consider whether they want one of those two consoles or not.

All these rumors are getting very annoying. E3 can't come fast enough so we can finally get the facts on all these things.

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Grammaton-Cleric

It's not over by a long shot yet. All this doom and gloom is premature. Tech has never decided a console race and probably never will.

Bigboi500

Theres nothing premature about proclaiming that the Wii U is in dire straights; the system is selling horribly.

And technology is far more important than you believe. Even if we operate under the assumption that the general populace doesnt care about graphical upgrades (an assertion I wouldnt necessarily support) the reality is that lowball tech ensures that the Wii U will be all but ignored by third party developers, meaning certain key franchises will be absent on the system. Think about it: the Wii didnt enjoy great third party support and it was the best-selling console of the generation.

The Wii was a fluke and clearly, the Wii U won't be enjoying that type of success which means Nintendo is going to have to rely on software to propel their console.

Right now, at this moment, they can't even generate third party ports of current gen games.

I'm not writing them off just yet but they are in very deep and pronounced trouble.  

P.S. Technology has been a massive factor in console success. Nintendo's stubborn refusal to adopt optical media for the N64 was a major factor in their loss to Sony and the PS1.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 c_rakestraw  Moderator

All these rumors are getting very annoying. E3 can't come fast enough so we can finally get the facts on all these things.Bigboi500

I know! The wait is killing me.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

Grammaton-Cleric

Theres nothing premature about proclaiming that the Wii U is in dire straights; the system is selling horribly.

And technology is far more important than you believe. Even if we operate under the assumption that the general populace doesnt care about graphical upgrades (an assertion I wouldnt necessarily support) the reality is that lowball tech ensures that the Wii U will be all but ignored by third party developers, meaning certain key franchises will be absent on the system. Think about it: the Wii didnt enjoy great third party support and it was the best-selling console of the generation.

The Wii was a fluke and clearly, the Wii U won't be enjoying that type of success which means Nintendo is going to have to rely on software to propel their console.

Right now, at this moment, they can't even generate third party ports of current gen games.

I'm not writing them off just yet but they are in very deep and pronounced trouble.  

P.S. Technology has been a massive factor in console success. Nintendo's stubborn refusal to adopt optical media for the N64 was a major factor in their loss to Sony and the PS1.

Also, the Wii's motion tech was as attractive to casuals as it was repulsive to many core gamers.