Favorite games of 2016 (so far)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

Now that the year’s now almost through, how are everybody’s favorites lists rounding out? Granted, I’ve personally yet to play every single game that has come out, but I have played a decent number of them and have enjoyed what I've played so far for the most part. Here are my picks for the top games, in order from most to least favorite.

The Elite 4:

1) Uncharted 4 – Drake’s final adventure isn’t going to be topped any time soon this year, in my eyes. Just an absolutely masterful game from start to finish, in both the narrative and the gameplay department, with some of the best animations, visuals, and set-pieces yet to be seen on the PS4. Very few games have even come close to the level of quality of Uncharted 4, and Naughty Dog proves once again why they’re some of the best of the best in the world of gaming.

2) Dark Souls III – while I haven’t beaten the game as of yet (it’s pretty damn tough), it’s a reminder that From Software still knows what they’re doing when it comes to game design. The combat is masterclass with well needed improvements, the environments are amazing to both navigate and admire, the lore remains both deep and fun to try and solve, and that familiar challenge is still as daunting and exhilarating as ever. While Bloodborne remains my personal favorite title of the bunch, Dark Souls III is a fantastic conclusion to the series that started it all.

3) DOOM – Rip ‘n tear, rip ‘n tear, rip ‘n tear! Seriously though, DOOM is 2016’s biggest surprise. An old-school style shooter with a few modern tweaks? I don't know about...Holy crap, it actually works?! Yes, DOOM is an incredible and visceral rush from start to finish, with its fantastic shooting, meaningful level design, incredible demon designs, and a surprisingly thought out narrative that you can either follow or ignore without feeling like you’re missing out on something.

4) Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - hell, mechanically, this game beats Human Revolution by a wide margin. Everything just feels so good whether you're sneaking or gunning everybody down. The visual storytelling has been improved a lot as well, as well as the incredible side missions, though the main story is average at best (then again, Human Revolution had the same problem). Level design is masterful as always, and the new augmentations are so much fun to use. In all, a worthy sequel to one of my all-time favorite games.

Other game mentions:

1) No Man’s Sky – “A mile wide and an inch deep” has been used to describe this game. While that’s pretty accurate, since the gameplay is shallow overall and there isn’t a lot to actually “do” in the most obvious of terms, I still can’t bring myself to stop playing this game, if only for the sheer meditative quality of zipping through space and discovering worlds alien to our own just for the chance to say you got to do it. I don’t know, it’s just a calm game.

2) Overwatch – While I only played small portions of the game through my friends, it’s a fun shooter overall. Great mechanics, impressive roster, awesome visuals, and that adrenaline rush during matches can't be beat. The only things that bring it down for me are the lack of a true narrative mode (which is a shame against the characters and their lore) and the questionable microtransaction design of their loot systems. If I played more multiplayer shooters, maybe I’d like it more, but as it stands, it’s a great game you most likely won’t see me playing.

3) Abzu – played this at my cousin’s house, and wow, was it a breathtaking adventure. It’s a game with great underwater controls (already a plus), a mesmerizing art style and world design, and, much like Journey, has an exhilarating sensation coupled with some powerful emotional moments. Definitely going to get this game myself soon.

Games I didn’t care for:

Just 1) Tom Clancy’s The Division – okay, so I didn’t like The Division at all. Aside from the competent third-person shooter mechanics, nothing about this game felt right to me. The setting barely showed the stakes of what you’re fighting for against this so-called dollar flu (you never see the symptoms), the normal enemies are bullet sponges that make vanilla Destiny bosses seem like broken glass, and the overall leveling systems feel arbitrary and don’t matter much. Not to mention the game is about as balanced as the Mafia’s bank account. Also, the Dark Zone, which was supposed to be the one place where The Division could shine brightest, is the place where the majority of problems seem to lay. Sorry, but The Division was a massive disappointment overall, and apparently Ubisoft has barely been able to fix things with their updates, so it doesn’t look like I’ll be trying it again any time soon.

So that's my personal list. How's everyone else's coming along?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22416 Posts

The main standouts for me are Witcher 3: Blood & Wine, and Inside... with honourable mentions to Deus Ex: Mankind Divided & Doom.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#3 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

Blood and Wine, Deus ex despite the performance, R6 Siege, DOOM, and I am really liking nba 2k17

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Macutchi  Online
Member since 2007 • 10567 Posts

1. uncharted 4 is the stand out game for me. "masterful" is a great way to describe it. a cinematic tour de force from start to finish.

2. a tie between doom and deus ex. both wonderful experiences that improve on their predecessors but not without a tiny, handful of annoyances / limitations that prevent them from being classics.

3. ratchet and clank. tons of fun. like playing a pixar movie that you bounce, slash and pew pew your way through.

i can't even think of any other games i've bought this year tbh. been revisiting a lot of older pc games

TheBAILGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheBAILGuy
Member since 2016 • 16 Posts

Rainbow Six Siege is probably my #1 for 2016 but I haven't really played that many new games to be fair..

Really enjoying Day of Infamy at the moment as well... If you haven't heard of it, it's an early access game on steam but with some potential I feel, my video shows it in more detail https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3fKiL7fOVA

Hoping for better in 2017..

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Only dark souls 3, everything else either just wasn't for me or was disappointing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

@thehig1 said:

Only dark souls 3, everything else either just wasn't for me or was disappointing.

I concur. Best game in the series. I'm so glad we still got 2 expansions headed our way.

Uncharted 4 was the biggest let down this year. Absolutely beautiful graphics, but the gameplay was really shallow.

I hope Civilization VI will be the second good game this year.

e: NO! WAIT! XCOM 2 was released this year! That was good!

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@groowagon: oh yeah, I have not played xcom 2 yet forgot about that.

Xcom was decent enough

Love civilisation can't wait for for VI

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#9 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

Blood and Wine is top class, and Dark Souls III is up there with that. Nothing much else though

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56445 Posts

The games I play this year and favorites are:

• Uncharted 4
  • Witcher 3 (despite it's last year and I'm replaying it)
  • No Man's Sky
  • Killer Instinct season 3
  • Quantum Break
  • XCOM 2
  • Superhot
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • Dark Souls 3
  • Doom 2016
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21708 Posts
  1. Blood and Wine
  2. Street Fighter V
  3. Ace Attorney 6

I also have Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 coming in the mail in a little over a week, and it's probably going to end up on my list too.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58533 Posts

Oh man, I don't know. To be honest, there were a lot of good, fun games but very few great games imo.

Off the top of my head:

DOOM, an incredibly pleasant surprise. Loved how they did that game, was caught off guard to tell you the truth.

XCOM 2, that was 2016, right? Hard to imagine they could improve on the previous installment but, dammit, they did...and by a lot, too. XCOM 2 was probably the most solid title of the year, imo, as far as satisfaction, performance, and improvements over the original.

Deus Ex: MankindDividedis a very worthy addition to the Deus Ex franchise; I've played through it twice already, and both times were different enough to make me feel I wasn't wasting my time. Great game, great sequel-prequel.

Grim Dawn is a game I have been playing for what seems like years during it's development, but it came out of beta/early-release this year and I feel it deserves a mention. Like XCOM 2, it seems to improve upon it's predecessor (TItan Quest) in just about every single way. Great game, great classes, very enjoyable.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Uncharted 4 - Incredible story to complete the arc that ND wanted to finish. This has my personal GOTY on lock.

As so much was delayed, not much to contend with. Amplitude takes my favorite download only game. Rise of the TR and Last Guardian have a chance at greatness. Other than that, I wait till next year.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#14 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

bioshock collection

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11514 Posts

Street Fighter V is the big front runner this year.

I need to play and complete the following

Dark Souls

Dragon Quest VII

Ratchet and Clank

KK_Slider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 KK_Slider
Member since 2016 • 62 Posts

Dragon Quest VII so far.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11694 Posts

Dark Souls III takes top spot.

D00M follows.

And Ratchet and Clank at number 3 (though I need to finish this game).

So, an RPG, a FPS, and a Action Platformer_

But that's only what I've been buying, Mother Russia Bleeds is alright but could have been better. I would have liked more diversity. And the less I state about my shameful buy this year (Shadow of the Beast) the better, had great presentation; though failed at basic gameplay elements.

Otherwise I've actually been buying older games recently like Demento on PS3. And playing more Revelations 2 to get the Platinum.

Only other game I'm getting this year is Pokémon Sun and DkSIII DLC.

Though I have considered King of Fighters XIV for the holidays. Depends how I deal with finishing a few of the games above lol.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#18 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59382 Posts

Tomb Raider 2.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts

1 uncharted 4 2 blood and wine 3 ratchet and clank 4 dark souls 3 5 deus ex 6 inside 7 NBA 2k17 8 doom 9 the division 10 far cry primal

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

The witcher 3 Blood and Wine

Deus EX MD ( microtransaction and rather mehh story aside )

Also about 10 hours in and i really started liking Grim dawn

I plan picking Civilization VI day 1 and maybe Forza horizon if they drop the price to 40-45 euros

minor-effort

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 minor-effort
Member since 2016 • 28 Posts

samorost 3 - mesmerizing entry to the series created by amanita design (creators of machinarium)

pocket card jockey - huge underdog from gamefreak (pokemon) combining horse racing with speed solitaire. surprisingly, the most addicting game I've played this year.