Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thesplitz
Member since 2015 • 51 Posts

Hey guys,

I wanted to get a general discussion going on Farcry 5. I just got it booted up and got about 40 minutes into it. So far graphically it looks great, there's really no denying that, regardless on what platform you play on (I got it for the X). As for the story it was a neat intro but from a lot of reviews i've read they say the story is lacking. I really like how they gave us a blank protagonist with character customization (albeit very minimal customization). I think CC will be a huge positive with the series going forward and allows an RPG roleplay aspect to the series, which is odd for Farcry. (Jason Brody never really convinced me in FC3, Ahjay was also boring in FC4 and I never gave a shit about his mother's ashes, actually forgetting about it at times). I chose the black male character model (bottom row second to the right). I immediately felt a Denzel Washington vibe with this game, and have constructed my own backstory for my character (As a child he was in a catholic school in Detroit with a good upbringing, joined Jehovah's witness but in adolescence got involved with gangs, lost his Mom and siblings in a housefire started by a rival gang, suffers from PTSD, decided to leave to an entirely rural environment and make a better living stopping those that hurt others, and being very off-put with religion in general etc etc)...But yea any thoughts or comments on the game are welcome. I just want this topic to be a civil general discussion on what you like, don't like, wish was in the game and any roleplay ideas or backstory for your character.

Edit: First instance of immersion breaking, and something I experienced when Fallout 4 released. the hands of your character default to white *facepalm*. Guess i'm wearing gloves.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10416 Posts

@thesplitz: i'm not a ubi fan so i've only a very mild curiosity in this game. but i'm still keen to hear people's experiences with it.

from what i can gather from reviews, the bulk of the game is spent levelling up some kind of point system which allows you to fight against the a "boss" who controls whatever area of the map you're in.

sounds a bit dull when put like that, however i believe there's a twist of sorts.

and that is that you don't have to do the main story line missions or a bunch of filler side quests to increase your points, you just go out into the world and get up to random stuff to boost your level. and that sounds quite interesting if the accessible game area is basically a playground packed full of fun and unscripted shenanigans.

let us know how you find it

thesplitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By thesplitz
Member since 2015 • 51 Posts

@Macutchi: a decent few hours in, I'm really loving this game and the open world. the infamous towers are gone, exploration feels much more natural without towers or even a mini-map. So far i've been using landmarks (such as a huge red apple sign, near the apple orchids), and also utilizing mountains and binoculars to discover more landmarks. It's a very fluid process. everything you do in each 3 areas will help build resistance points, and i'm liking this system so far, makes me feel like i'm really pissing off the cult. I'm not much into the story yet, but like I said, i've heard the story is lacking and this is Farcry, so I don't expect much of the story. The perk system works fine, and allows you to take any approach (stealth, big guns, survival etc) from the get go, so I appreciate that. And the fact this game is gorgeous just makes it even better, so much attention to detail in the smaller details. I also love how animal skinning is no longer tied into crafting, nor are you running around looking for red, green, yellow etc plants on your minimap. No longer am I looking at my map to find honey badgers to skin so I can carry more grenades (a very dated formula i'm happy is gone.)

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

I think it might be the best Far Cry yet. Honestly.

As I've said in other threads, it is basically like Far Cry and Ghost Recon had a baby together. They took a lot of the great elements of both games, and learned from the mistakes of others. For example, the game world is large, but it is not too large. This has allowed them to make some really well-designed areas and put extra attention in areas. There is a "buddy" system that feels reminiscent of Wildlands and it's a lot of fun to play with a variety of allies, be it a plane providing air cover or a friendly dog that spots enemies for you.

The voice acting is the best it has been in any Far Cry game, with convincing antagonists and friendlies respond with appropriate tones of fear and appreciation as you save them.

I enjoy the social commentary; the game is obviously very " 'murica!" in tone, but it's not really poking fun at America or making outlandish claims. I don't feel insulted in the slightest. If anything, it feels very "Red Dawn" to me only instead of Russians, it's a cult: rural Americans getting their rifles and romping around the woods shooting bad guys.

Progression is much better, too; you can unlock points by completing challenges (kill 10 enemies with ________, for example, or fish x amount of type a fish), but also raiding stashes which are fun little puzzles; they're not too difficult, but they are short and too the point and as a result don't feel tedious. The skill tree is not a tree, more just a page of skills to choose from. Just about everything is available from the start as well.

The thing I like best about the game, however, is the freedom you are given. Outside of the story missions, there is no real structure so you can pretty much go wherever you want and fight and rescue and whatever right away (I think the Gamespot review mentioned this aspect). It's a little alienating at first because I Feel we as players of games have become used to a very structured form of game (go to point A, unlock map section X, do missions until you are geared enough for next zone, repeat) but I soon got over it and realized how great it was.

Even the fishing is somewhat entertaining.

The game is also kind of hard, your character does not take bullets well haha. AI is dumb, though.