Far Cry 4 Racism

This topic is locked from further discussion.

iamllamapie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 0

#1 iamllamapie
Member since 2012 • 297 Posts

PC has gone overboard. Can't they see that a man is killing another man, not based on his skin but on the fact he's a bad person? That this man has enslaved a man not because of his skin but the fact he is weak and he is strong?

Why is it always linked to skin rather than occupation/background?

As you can tell, this is about critics pointing out the FC4 cover is racist because a "white" man is more or less dominating an Asian man. Well, turns out the "white" man is Asian and it's all okay now. Do you know what I find racist? The fact it wasn't allowed to be a white man.

AmazonAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By AmazonAngry
Member since 2014 • 968 Posts

You can't cure dumb unfortunately. And seems like political agendas are seeping into all of life's activities, including gaming.

Funny thing is...The term racism has been so twisted and redefined that hardly anyone understands what it really is anymore.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

There are people who ask for nothing better than an excuse to act offended.

As the Poet said: "Let us not speak of them, but look, and pass"

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#5  Edited By mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts

Yeah its stupidity but its stupidity we will have to deal with until games finally cross over the hump in public perception as more than kids toys.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

What do you expect from the press and gamers man? They find any excuse to bitch and complain, why do you all seem surprised?

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

It's about as silly as the whole Resident Evil 5 racism thing

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I hate race baiters.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58900 Posts

I thought Far Cry 3 (not 4) was a great game. But I wont defend it "because". I found it pretty offensive. Games like Grand Theft Auto 4 or Postal 2 are deliberately doing it so to get a rise out of people. I don't take it seriously.

By constant, Far Cry 3 seems a genuinely deeply cynical game. The white American 20 something bro man (you are suppose to identity with) on the island for 5 minutes helping the natives with his magic negro syndrome. I mean, really? I hope Spike Lee didn't play this game, dudes head would explode.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#11 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

People will always bitch and moan about video games. There's always something to pick at, even the dumbest shit. Hell, even gamers do it, but it's less about a fake attempt to be PC and more about being nitpicky assholes.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@iamllamapie said:

PC has gone overboard. Can't they see that a man is killing another man, not based on his skin but on the fact he's a bad person? That this man has enslaved a man not because of his skin but the fact he is weak and he is strong?

Why is it always linked to skin rather than occupation/background?

As you can tell, this is about critics pointing out the FC4 cover is racist because a "white" man is more or less dominating an Asian man. Well, turns out the "white" man is Asian and it's all okay now. Do you know what I find racist? The fact it wasn't allowed to be a white man.

F-it. Who cares? Just play the game when it comes out.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

I'm going to throw a random bone here and say that person who made that critique probably real hates video games.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Even if it was racist, what if that's the point? One of the games major themes could be about race. However, video gaming can never be a serious medium as long as we have fuckwits who draw premature conclusions.

I seriously hope that Ubisoft actually has balls and doesn't change the art just because of a small vocal minority.

iamllamapie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 iamllamapie

@uninspiredcup said:

By constant, Far Cry 3 seems a genuinely deeply cynical game. The white American 20 something bro man (you are suppose to identity with) on the island for 5 minutes helping the natives with his magic negro syndrome. I mean, really? I hope Spike Lee didn't play this game, dudes head would explode.

But the story is you are a tourist that had been captured by slavers. after escaping the natives of the island (Dennis) shows you the ropes of combat and how not only do your friends need saving but so does the Island from Hoyt.

The pirates a mostly black. So what? A lot of pirates are from Africa in this day and age, not to mention the second half of the game you're killing, almost exclusively, white American mercs. It's not as if Ubisoft thought "Let's make a game in which a white American saves an oppressed Island from black people, because black people are evil slavers.". Like I said, don't judge the killing on colour. Judge it on the person's profession.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@iamllamapie said:

@uninspiredcup said:

But the story is you are a tourist that had been captured by slavers. after escaping the natives of the island (Dennis) shows you the ropes of combat and how not only do your friends need saving but so does the Island from Hoyt.

The pirates a mostly black. So what? A lot of pirates are from Africa in this day and age, not to mention the second half of the game you're killing, almost exclusively, white American mercs. It's not as if Ubisoft thought "Let's make a game in which a white American saves an oppressed Island from black people, because black people are evil slavers.". Like I said, don't judge the killing on colour. Judge it on the person's profession.

He can always go to the second island and wipe out the "white" mercenaries. Hell, he can just shoot the natives and be an equal opportunity killer.

iamllamapie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By iamllamapie

@jun_aka_pekto: So the player has the option to kill 3 different races, one in which is his own. that must make GTA the worst offender.

but what's your opinion on games that are set in a certain timeline and don't exactly follow what's historically correct? Like Red Dead Redemption where blacks seem to have equal rights as white yet that wasn't the case in reality.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@BattleSpectre said:

What do you expect from the press and gamers man? They find any excuse to bitch and complain, why do you all seem surprised?

I don't think people are surprised, just annoyed cause it's happening at an absurd rate now.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@iamllamapie said:

@jun_aka_pekto: So the player has the option to kill 3 different races, one in which is his own. that must make GTA the worst offender.

but what's your opinion on games that are set in a certain timeline and don't exactly follow what's historically correct? Like Red Dead Redemption where blacks seem to have equal rights as white yet that wasn't the case in reality.

There was a degree of lawlessness in the Old West. I would imagine those who have had a history of warfare would stand the best chances of fitting in (rather than skin color). The white man, the American Indian, the Mexicans. They've had a history of warfare in the West. Same goes for the black man. They too had their share (eg the Buffalo soldiers). I think the one race that didn't fit in at all were the Chinese. No history of being war-like in the US. I would think they would've had the worst problem trying to fit in.

Buffalo Soldiers:

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#20 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

When the PC adepts are starting to affect even my most mundane activities, I seriously start to consider living in the country where noone can bother me. Please donate.

Justin_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Justin_G
Member since 2004 • 202 Posts

lol race

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 uninspiredcup

@iamllamapie said:

@uninspiredcup said:

That's exactly what a "magic negro" trope is. Black man with mystical or special knowledge aiding the white man ignorant of the ways of the force so the white man, not the black man, can fulfill his destiny. Dennis is pretty much the friggin epitome of that. It's not even remotely hidden. Within 5 minutes of he game Dennis is touching you up telling you how oh so wonderful and amazing you are.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Treflis
@uninspiredcup said:

@iamllamapie said:

@uninspiredcup said:

That's exactly what a "magic negro" trope is. Black man with mystical or special knowledge aiding the white man ignorant of the ways of the force so the white man, not the black man, can fulfill his destiny. Dennis is pretty much the friggin epitome of that. It's not even remotely hidden. Within 5 minutes of he game Dennis is touching you up telling you how oh so wonderful and amazing you are.

Quick thought. Don't disagree with you because it is true the character falls within that chategory. But anyways, Quick thought.

What if the protaganist was a dark skinned man and Dennis was a white guy? Would that be more acceptable or spark even larger controversy?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 uninspiredcup

@Treflis said:
@uninspiredcup said:

@iamllamapie said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Quick thought. Don't disagree with you because it is true the character falls within that chategory. But anyways, Quick thought.

What if the protaganist was a dark skinned man and Dennis was a white guy? Would that be more acceptable or spark even larger controversy?

No idea. I think the issue is more the reason for using it. If you mean a certain sect of group get a free pass, I'd agree. it seems quite clear Steven Spielberg movies deliberately favors Jewish actors whenever possible. And another example being the absence of British people in SPR but he manages to fill in a spot for a wise cracking Jewish character taking vengeance on the Nazi's. To me that totally gets a free pass and to even criticize it basically makes you Mel Gibson.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Treflis

@uninspiredcup said:

@Treflis said:
@uninspiredcup said:

@iamllamapie said:

@uninspiredcup said:

No idea. I think the issue is more the reason for using it. If you mean a certain sect of group get a free pass, I'd agree. it seems quite clear Steven Spielberg movies deliberately favors Jewish actors whenever possible. And another example being the absence of British people in SPR but he manages to fill in a spot for a wise cracking Jewish character taking vengeance on the Nazi's. To me that totally gets a free pass and to even criticize it basically makes you Mel Gibson.

Interesting point.

Personally I was just ponding if not the reversal of roles would pull in the " the black protaganist wouldn't be able to do the things he could without the help of a white man" argument that Django Unchained was given or if it'd be more acceptable. I personally don't have a definite answer myself but I'd think the likely outcome would be the first.

I dunno, maybe things within stories have been done so often it's given a negative attachment regardless.

eternal_napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 eternal_napalm
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I'm sick of the race card. I have zero tolerance for bullshit race baiting. It's a game, and games from time to time A.) intentionally depict racism sometimes as a facet for bad guys and B.) slavery isn't always based on race in fiction. The politically correct can go screw themselves.

kingcrimson24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#27 kingcrimson24
Member since 2012 • 824 Posts

I think that is the bad guy on the cover , and bad guys do bad things like being racist , right ?

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

No one's going to post the actual cover? LOL

I'd probably need more info on the actual game before I judge. Something about that cover seems really tasteless though but I can't quite put my finger on it...

Avatar image for platinumking320
platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 platinumking320
Member since 2003 • 668 Posts

@Lucky_Krystal said:

I'd probably need more info on the actual game before I judge. Something about that cover seems really tasteless though but I can't quite put my finger on it...

Vaas burying Jason the sand with two gats in hand looked kinda poser-ish too. Though maybe not as prone to trigger articles.

Look closer and you can see the asian in him. looks like some Nepalese dude whos been "Hoyt Volker-ized" or western capitalized and kicking sand upon his homeland, his roots. That scratchy voiced Aussie 'Hoyt' wasn't the best of villains either, came off more as a shock villain to gamers, compared to someone with passion like Vaas.
but I wish ol Kotaku would reserve a bit more judgement till the game is out. I get more disgusted honestly at Microsoft Surface commericals showing people break dancing (what does that have to do with computers), than shock posters like this. At least Ubisoft isn't doing the whole...."your mom will hate this game. Remember that BS? Heh-Heh."

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#30 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

I doubt farcry 4 is racist. its good free publicity anyways for the game

iamllamapie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 iamllamapie

@Old_Gooseberry: Publicity for the wrong reason. "How did you get all those sales? Critical acclaim?". "actually, we were accused of racism".

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#32 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

@iamllamapie said:

@Old_Gooseberry: Publicity for the wrong reason. "How did you get all those sales? Critical acclaim?". "actually, we were accused of racism".

lol, when you put it that way it sounds bad.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

@Old_Gooseberry said:

@iamllamapie said:

lol, when you put it that way it sounds bad.

Replace what he said with "we were involved in controversy" and you're golden. The masses love controversy. Everyone HAS to see what it's about and experience it for themselves.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts
@Lucky_Krystal said:

Well the oppressor is obviously gay for starters but the tasteless part to me looks like the AK and rocket launcher just sitting there for no real reason. Do away with the two guys and it would be a perfectly fine cover.

iamllamapie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By iamllamapie

@pimphand_gamer said:
@Lucky_Krystal said:

Well the oppressor is obviously gay for starters but the tasteless part to me looks like the AK and rocket launcher just sitting there for no real reason. Do away with the two guys and it would be a perfectly fine cover.

Gay?! What about the children that are going to play this 18 rated game?!?! Someone think of the children! I'll tell some critics about this and we'll see what they have to say about it, too.

That's sarcasm, just in case.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#36 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@Black_Knight_00 said:

There are people who ask for nothing better than an excuse to act offended.

As the Poet said: "Let us not speak of them, but look, and pass"

I agree lol way too many people get easily offended.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#37  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Did anyone point out that the villain is quite clearly Patrick Stewart in a bad wig?